ICS boot problem

Search This thread

Dreamboxuser

Jan 24, 2012
K so the upgrade file is being downloaded ok. Did you have your dock connected when you flashed the upgrade?
Could be a conflict with old firmware vs new firmware (speculation).

I would try superwiping (assuming you are using CWM) the tab and start back from the beginning. (down near the bottom of the post I suggest using the full wipe but clear off your internal SD card first microsd is untouched)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1245892

Edit: Some people have used this workaround ..... disabling deep sleep using a no sleep widget

more info on this here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1517133
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1518552

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kyonz

Jun 7, 2010
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm a bit confused as to this, mine was having huge issues with freezing and rebooting but since it's last boot it seems very stable and quick - I'm not going to test my luck by rebooting it again but it seems like such a weird issue.

Is there any difference reported by those that have flashed the ww rom as opposed to the us one? (I've been having issues under the ww one)

horndroid

Jan 30, 2012
San Francisco
Is there any difference reported by those that have flashed the ww rom as opposed to the us one? (I've been having issues under the ww one)

I flashed the WW version. No boot problems at all.
People need to make sure they are doing a COLD REBOOT after upgrading to ICS.
Mine was sluggish immediately after upgrading so I did a cold reboot and everything has been fine and stable ever since.

jparity

Apr 1, 2010
Worcester, MA
I flashed the WW version. No boot problems at all.
People need to make sure they are doing a COLD REBOOT after upgrading to ICS.
Mine was sluggish immediately after upgrading so I did a cold reboot and everything has been fine and stable ever since.

Sorry for my ignorance... but what's considered a cold reboot?...

A. Complete show down, go take a shower, come back and power up the device.

B. Hold down power till the screen goes blank, then power it on.

C. Hold down Power + Vol Down, and select to boot from the android partition.

Thanks!

Edit: I've down A and B and still experiencing random reboot and stuck Asus loading screen. I have just powered on the device using method C. Fingers crossed I'm rid of RR for good (seriously doubtful)...

horndroid

Jan 30, 2012
San Francisco
Sorry for my ignorance... but what's considered a cold reboot?...

A. Complete show down, go take a shower, come back and power up the device.

B. Hold down power till the screen goes blank, then power it on.

C. Hold down Power + Vol Down, and select to boot from the android partition.

Thanks!

Edit: I've down A and B and still experiencing random reboot and stuck Asus loading screen. I have just powered on the device using method C. Fingers crossed I'm rid of RR for good (seriously doubtful)...

It just baffles me that you hadn't tried a cold boot.
Did you even try removing all your apps and widgets?

vicw

Apr 3, 2011
Yes, I have performed a factory reset after updating to ICS.

So what exactly do you mean by cold boot?

That's a perfectly reasonable question to ask, I think. I just got into that subject since the problems after the ICS update. My understanding is it just requires holding down the Down Volume and Power buttons, until you see the white text show up in the upper left hand corner. The icon should also indicate that it is doing a Linux Cold Boot. I've done that several times, with no improvement.

I think the most coherent posts in this thread are #17-20. They were written in some detail, and I found them quite helpful.

I don't believe any of us really understands what the problem is at this point, and although I'm prepared to do the Factory Reset, I don't have a bit of confidence it will help the situation for me. Right now I'm going to cool my heels, and just cope with this for a bit, waiting for some indication that ASUS has acknowledged the problem and has a firmware update coming soon to resolve it.

All of the flailing around we are doing is entertaining, and keeping us busy, but I haven't seen anything yet that looks like a true solution to what shows every evidence of being a firmware bug.

Dreamboxuser

Jan 24, 2012
If you can get into recovery you can save your machine.

The only time to panic is if you turn it on and nothing happens.

Edit: some people have found that the problem is he tablet is going into deep sleep and not waking up. Try the keep awake app or never sleep app. that seems to reduce the problems

Last edited:

Kyonz

Jun 7, 2010
Auckland, New Zealand
If you can get into recovery you can save your machine.

The only time to panic is if you turn it on and nothing happens.

I tell you what dealing with the NVflash recovery and such makes me love Samsung and HTC all the more...

some people have found that the problem is he tablet is going into deep sleep and not waking up. Try the keep awake app or never sleep app. that seems to reduce the problems

This is what i'd been trying before it started working without rebooting so I'm guessing that I've turned off sleep and that was in fact what was causing it to crash. I hope Asus release a bug fix soon - tablet flies on ICS.

flipado

Jan 19, 2009
I have the same problem, i had 2 days without any reboot but now my tablet rebooted 1 time on standby
Another problem of the update is now no longer does the method of the smartass cover :mad:

Reactions: dbargel

Dreamboxuser

Jan 24, 2012
I went from Spark ICS to Honeycomb (TW then US then WW all stock with stock recovery was experimenting trying to get the update earlier- TW and US failed because my tab is originally WW so when i went to that it popped up right away but i rooted put in CWM and decided to go with the CWM version) then Flashed the WW ICS then went to Revolver.

I have to say CWM has saved my ass more times than i can count. If you have the option i suggest Wiping all and flashing the FULL ICS update. I personally have not encountered any issues (Yet) and am happy with the results.

So if you do have CWM might as well try.

Last edited:

cmit37

Jun 23, 2010
I have a US tf. I found that I was getting random reboots at the tune of almost once an hour. Never had the problem with hc so I did a factory reset. Random reboots had stopped for a bit however this morning it wouldn't wake up so had to do restart it.

Since then I've had 3 reboots with two stuck at the Asus screen. I hope Asus fix it however I am still glad they released ICS.

Orillian

Aug 16, 2010
G+ App was causing this due to an ever increasing number of force closes to me last week when I updated. Uninstalled and re-installed the G+ app and after a reboot. it's been rock solid since Thursday night (23rd of Feb). My kids have been draining it almost dry playing Gem Miner 2 on it all weekend, and no FC's or random reboots since.

The only issue I have is the fact that the dock does not wake the tablet up on key press anymore. Rock solid and fast. Lot's of apps have been updating as well, which can't hurt.

I forgot to mention. I think this issue is caused by an ICS incompatible app that is failing while doing update/notification checks. G+ was doing this to me, but not always failing with a Force Close error message. So if your having this kind of issue look at the apps you have that push notifications, and see if any are unresponsive or failing (sometimes silently).

O.

Last edited:

Garrafone

Jul 17, 2008
I have the random boot problem, in my case, it only happens at night, and when i wake up and end the boot problem, the battery was drained from 80% to 30% for example. Im on official ICS OTA, no root, directly stock.

I dont know what the tablet was doing when its on the boot problem trying to boot android, but this screen drains the battery:confused:

timscha

Feb 26, 2012
Dortmund
I installed ICS on friday. After one day it reboots and I have a bootloop. Only a "hardreset" (I pressed the power button a long time) helps and all working again. Now using Revolver ROM all looks good so far...

Dany XP

Oct 30, 2011
Milano
Asus answer

I got a reply from Asus this morning and i can see they are aware of the problem.

"Dear customer,
yes, a new ugrade will be released these days that will solve the different problems ICS gave.
Best regards,
Customer Care Asus
---------- Original Message ----------"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Asus answer

I got a reply from Asus this morning and i can see they are aware of the problem.

"Dear customer,
    yes, a new ugrade will be released these days that will solve the different problems ICS gave.
    Best regards,
    Customer Care Asus
    ---------- Original Message ----------"
    I agree with you, i notice one thing, battery in ICS is better then honeycomb, but after this problem it start drain faster, i don't know why, in battery settin i see "active", what is it?
    As you can see, sometimes wifi is off, display is off, tab is in standby but "attivo" in english active, is still running

Inviato dal mio Transformer TF101 usando Tapatalk

The battery was drain because the screen was on at asus logo for an hour or so and went from 76% to 34%. I don't think is a battery issue with ics, just freezing at one point with screen on.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    i don't think is a bad download , 2 day straight after the update i had no problems ... now on 24 hours i had 3 reboot , 1 time hang at the Asus logo and 1 time my tf went into a some kind of bootloop ... after the download of ics update is a check file verification before the start .

so i think the problem is in ICS or a combination of ICS + some packages or some problem in kernel .

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

It's definitely in the update, most probably the kernel, since the bug is triggered when the device enters the deep sleep state. And probably not an app, because even after a wipe and NOT configuring a Google Account, the problem persists.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app
    I have the same problem, i had 2 days without any reboot but now my tablet rebooted 1 time on standby
    Another problem of the update is now no longer does the method of the smartass cover :mad:
    Thanks, Dany. I got my second spontaneous reboot yesterday, and this time rather than getting stuck in a boot loop, it locked up completely on the boot screen. Left it for five or ten minutes as I was curious if it would start doing the boot loop, but it stayed frozen, so I cold booted and all was fine again.