Note II - the 4.4.2 update - discussion thread

Search This thread

t4d73

Sep 28, 2011
Really now?! I am intrigued. I had cm11 before and it was also lacking s pen features. I guess they may have updated since last. Thanks for the tip. I will try it again tonight.

Yeah if you do it's under language and input. uploadfromtaptalk1395953103657.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395953103657.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395953114311.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395953114311.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 968
Reactions: frnhalo

mac01843

Dec 20, 2009
Isabela
The official kit kat tw Rom actually isn't coming with much bloat at all.. and Samsung has revamped tw to be more streamlined. I'm actually looking forward to it since I use the spen alot and upgrading to a Note 3 is really a waste of money.. I can wait for the Note 4

-End Transmission NERV HQ-

My thoughts EXACTLY; the Note3 isn't that much of an improvement (besides, I'm still on contract until Sept) Note 4 will be enough of a jump to make me wanna go for it!

killiang1695

Jan 13, 2012
I'm on 4.4.2 from ParanoidAndroid (though it looks like SlickRick is moving on to the LG G2 mostly.) but it runs mosly fine. a few bugs every now and then. prefer AOSP over tw because I rarely use the s-pen and hate the bloatware

skinneejay

Feb 24, 2009
It's already been said we are getting kitkat. It's been in the works for awhile now. I'm sure we will see it by the end of the month.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Skripka

Dec 17, 2011
Postulo forklift ad portandum iste
Does this mean we won't be getting it at all? (L900 users)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

It's already been said we are getting kitkat. It's been in the works for awhile now. I'm sure we will see it by the end of the month.

As of now this is only S3, which Samsung claims is because the S3 non-LTE only has 1GB of RAM....which is pretty damn funny considering KK was written to run on 512MB RAM devices. More like the 4.4 bloat doesn't like the memory pool...which they *could* ease back on the bloat, but why on Earth would they do something like that when they could just cancel the update instead.

altimuh

Feb 8, 2011
As of now this is only S3, which Samsung claims is because the S3 non-LTE only has 1GB of RAM....which is pretty damn funny considering KK was written to run on 512MB RAM devices. More like the 4.4 bloat doesn't like the memory pool...which they *could* ease back on the bloat, but why on Earth would they do something like that when they could just cancel the update instead.

It seems that the non LTE version of the S3 (international) is the one that got canned. That one has 1gb of ram.

I too think it's hilarious and sad that an OS has been written for 512ram devices and they canned a device with 1gb! I feel bad for those who have an international S3.

But Sprint's variant of the S3 (which my wife has) has LTE and 2 gb of ram.

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?deviceSKUId=64300051

The Sprint S3's KitKat update is live and is called ND8, and I will upgrade my wife's to it once the bugs have been worked out with the rooting/debloat/deknox.

Our Note2 also has 2 gb of ram and is 6 months newer than the s3. If Sprint pushed an update to the older s3, why shouldn't we expect them to do the same for the Note2?

goku14238

Nov 7, 2009
Southfield, MI
They will push the update eventually, but if anyone has noticed the international note 2 update, not much has changed. Different version number same crap. I checked it out today to see if we at least get good features. Nothing looked new at all. Guess it's time I throw on a rom since Samsung doesn't believe in giving old devices new features, forcing us to upgrade. And to think I was Fanboy... Bah humbug

Link below of an install. Skip ahead a bit

Galaxy Note 2 - How to install Official Android 4…: http://youtu.be/GDf9FeRiIvQ

Sent from my GT-P5210 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Androidaholic

Oct 16, 2010
Houston,Tx.
Trust me on this one !

Despite Samsung not making the ui newer like the S5 I can tell you that Android 4.4.2 KitKat on my Note 3 and my Galaxy S3 is a night and day difference from Android 4.3. As I have said before elsewhere I have been using Android and customizing my phones and tablets since the first Android phone came out on Sprint. In saying that KitKat is the single best Android update I have seen ever on any and all of my devices. Kit Kat has been very stable and best of all has a very noticable performance increase on both my Note 3 and my S3. These two things alone make Samsungs KitKat update a joy to use and very much worth updating to from 4.3 !

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
I've seen kitkat on my two sons' S3's and my Note 10.1 2014. I agree it's a nice update, easily (and almost immediately) rooted, and the only real negative in my opinion was this stupid ext SD card security fiasco, but that's been rectified too. I do wonder why the S3 got it before the Note 2, but Sprint stop consulting with me about these decisions a while ago, so.... haha

tommyjoesanders

Aug 12, 2013
It's coming. There is alot changes with 4.4.2 . my sources say it a huge update . during beta testing it faster and smoother and has new bootloader and radios and updated Knox as well. at this time the understanding i got they are waiting on sprint to add there bloatware and give there ok to samsung before source code post online. But things are always subject to change without notice.

Reactions: gronimo21 and t4d73

gronimo21

Apr 16, 2011
WINTER PARK,FL
It's coming. There is alot changes with 4.4.2 . my sources say it a huge update . during beta testing it faster and smoother and has new bootloader and radios and updated Knox as well. at this time the understanding i got they are waiting on sprint to add there bloatware and give there ok to samsung before source code post online. But things are always subject to change without notice.

What new stuff can u tell us they going to have

High Definition Note II

Skripka

Dec 17, 2011
Postulo forklift ad portandum iste

What new stuff can u tell us they going to have

High Definition Note II

Sounds like Sammy and Sprint want to break the current de-Knox exploit is what it sounds like.

photolarry

Jan 17, 2010
Los Angeles CA
Sprint told me it is going out as of today.

has anyone else gotten it? I would like to grab it manually but it takes a few days for it to be posted to sammoble I think.

gronimo21

Apr 16, 2011
WINTER PARK,FL
has anyone else gotten it? I would like to grab it manually but it takes a few days for it to be posted to sammoble I think.

Who said it was out source hasn't dropped

High Definition Note II

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=F&searchValue=sph-l900
No source yet see

High Definition Note II

Reactions: ArchangelRenzoku

RayTrue04

Oct 27, 2010
Hartford, CT

Huge changes? All Samsung has been giving with KitKat is KitKat goodies. Neither of the Galaxy's, S3, S4, Note 2 Int & Note 3 got anything besides what KitKat gives. No UI changes or anything, I doubt we'll see big changes.. Heck we don't even get the 3.4 Kernel on our Notes like the S3 did judging from the international Note which stood on the same kernel.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: goku14238

goku14238

Nov 7, 2009
Southfield, MI
That's what I was saying Ray. International Note 2 looks exactly the same. Just a new version number

Sent from my GT-P5210 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NE2 modem

Lots of apps do not work with ART as it still is only for testing purposes. The big one I use that is not yet ART is InSSIDer.

Myself, once there's a new NE2 radio flasher I'll update my radio. The only time my phone will see 4.4 TWiz is for updating PRL.

I haven't seen this posted anywhere so here's a recovery flashable NE2 modem. Custom recovery only of course.

MD5: ce5a07aad23d2864a0e896fb1dcfcd31
    Kitkat apparently has special rules for external sd card files and this hack will make it r/w for all apps not just some

http://winaero.com/blog/unlock-external-sd-card-writing-for-all-apps-in-android-4-4-kitkat/

Yes google is trying to get rid of external sdcards so starting with 4.4 we have to jump through hoops to use them properly.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

I think I will just wait for a prerooted and knox free version. Ether that or I will wait for CyanogenMod to be updated from nightly.

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358540110

Here yall go a full flashable 4.4.2 stock deknoxed, deodexed, and rooted. If you are currently using touchwiz 4.3 then just do a factory reset and install. If you are on mc2 or lower you will need to flash the wifi fix (http://d-h.st/6qX#.U4kAjHLR23Q). This is pure stock so be prepared to be let down by samsung. You might have to update superSU via playstore but I think I have that fixed so please let me know.

Now for those who want more I am already working on a N3/S5 port with all the goodies!!
    And on another note, I just had to clean up 21 posts that did not belong in this thread.

I will respond to several of your questions and posts here.

First, no this thread and no other thread about how to accept an OTA or install a new build will ever be stickied. Stickys are for general information that is a benefit to everyone, not just those who can't use search to find the instructions they need.

Second, it is not appropriate to complain about a mod's actions. If you have a concern with a mods decision or would like to discuss it with them further please use PM. We don't have the time to see every thread and every post and will never know you are unhappy if you don't let us know. I promise the majority of us don't bite and will at least listen to your request. If you have a complaint about the action taken you can bring it up with the mod's Team Leader, the Moderator Committee or another mod who will get it into the right hands.

Third, and lastly, XDA is a global community with many people who come here from all walks of life and backgrounds. Just because a user doesn't understand what is happening or we feel a user is being lazy doesn't mean we get to be mean to them. XDA is all about the development community. Without community we have nothing. Let's remember to be nice and treat others how we would like to be treated.

Thanks!
    I'm on my way home to make a one-click. Has anyone seen a TAR yet? If not I'll see if I can grab it.

Time for me to pull the source and update the community kernel thread. Be glad to do this before I move on completely to the S5.

Edit: ...and it's up. Surprisingly they didn't even turn on the standard 4 restrictions. So hopefully what we used for MK4 base will play nice; looks like it did because I did get a kernel and it's already up in advance of the ROM coming out.