Wanting to buy Gear 2 Neo then root it

Search This thread

kennethk1

Sep 1, 2013
Hello xda, I really enjoy looking at the Gear 2 Neo so think i'll buy one, however the only Samsung device in our household is a Galaxy s3, could I pair it to that and then proceed to rooting the gear 2 neo? The s3 does have a bad imei but thats beside the point.

Once I have a custom rom the gear 2 neo from my understanding all we can do is connect it via bluetooth but I should be able to all the fancy stuff like Android wear has? Such as incoming calls, texting friends etc...I was also wondering if the IR blaster would still work after root?

Cheers for answering these questions.

Oh I'll be pairing it with a lg g2 after root, I may end up getting a s5 after though so would going to be stock rom be a simple process?

Sjharrison

Jul 11, 2014

Hello xda, I really enjoy looking at the Gear 2 Neo so think i'll buy one, however the only Samsung device in our household is a Galaxy s3, could I pair it to that and then proceed to rooting the gear 2 neo? The s3 does have a bad imei but thats beside the point.

Once I have a custom rom the gear 2 neo from my understanding all we can do is connect it via bluetooth but I should be able to all the fancy stuff like Android wear has? Such as incoming calls, texting friends etc...I was also wondering if the IR blaster would still work after root?

Cheers for answering these questions.

Oh I'll be pairing it with a lg g2 after root, I may end up getting a s5 after though so would going to be stock rom be a simple process?

Hi, I have a gear 2 neo and it is paired to my galaxy s3 and all functions work perfectly.
You mentioned it being able to do all the fancy stuff that android wear does after a custom rom is installed?
You can do the things you listed like incoming calls and texting friends without rooting your gear 2 neo, those functions work on stock ROM so essentially there would be no need to put a custom ROM on your watch

Hope this helps

kennethk1

Sep 1, 2013
Hi, I have a gear 2 neo and it is paired to my galaxy s3 and all functions work perfectly.
You mentioned it being able to do all the fancy stuff that android wear does after a custom rom is installed?
You can do the things you listed like incoming calls and texting friends without rooting your gear 2 neo, those functions work on stock ROM so essentially there would be no need to put a custom ROM on your watch

Hope this helps

Sorry if you misunderstood, I'll be pairing this device to a lg g2, I just wanted to know if I could pair it with a s3 then proceed to rooting the neo 2 so it can work with my g2. :)

Sjharrison

Jul 11, 2014

Sorry if you misunderstood, I'll be pairing this device to a lg g2, I just wanted to know if I could pair it with a s3 then proceed to rooting the neo 2 so it can work with my g2. :)

Hi sorry my mistake, as to my understanding you don't need to root your watch to achieve this, you just need to root your phone (LG) here is a link for you to follow, proceed at your own risk however

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2723862

Hope this helps

kennethk1

Sep 1, 2013

Sjharrison

Jul 11, 2014

So any android device can be rooted to pair with the gear 2 neo?

I do better learning by video so hopefully I can find some guys who have done it on youtube?

Hi, I'm assuming so yes, I previously put a custom ROM on my GS3 and manager to get Gear Manager back onto my phone, however it wouldn't connect it would say its connecting and do nothing so I reverted back to stock firmware, however since then if you look on the link I provided there is a fix for the problem I had.

However, like most things I'd say its hit and miss, what works for one person might not work for the other. Another thing I should have mentioned was that using the steps in the link above not all functions of the watch may work. If you read through the comments I'm sure somewhere people are saying what's working and what is not.

Hope you manage to get what you want done!

Reactions: kennethk1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So any android device can be rooted to pair with the gear 2 neo?

I do better learning by video so hopefully I can find some guys who have done it on youtube?

Hi, I'm assuming so yes, I previously put a custom ROM on my GS3 and manager to get Gear Manager back onto my phone, however it wouldn't connect it would say its connecting and do nothing so I reverted back to stock firmware, however since then if you look on the link I provided there is a fix for the problem I had.

However, like most things I'd say its hit and miss, what works for one person might not work for the other. Another thing I should have mentioned was that using the steps in the link above not all functions of the watch may work. If you read through the comments I'm sure somewhere people are saying what's working and what is not.

Hope you manage to get what you want done!