Updating Baseband/Modem before flash 4.3 ROM

Search This thread
Nov 23, 2011
I've scoured the forum looking for an answer to my exact question but haven't come up with one that really satisfies it.
I'm looking to flash a 4.3 ROM (probably old&slow's:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2591895).

I'm currently running CleanROM 7 (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1832070).
In the thread it states it was based off VRBMF1 firmware. old&slow states (as do most other 4.3 ROM dev's for issues relating to the partition structure I believe) that you have to be running ML1 or earlier bootloader.
My baseband version is LG7 (I535VRLG7).

I guess my question is two fold. I'm a bit confused on the semantics. So I'm getting that generally the bootloader matches up with the baseband version. But in my case because my ROM and Baseband are mismatched, it seems like I'm running a newer bootloader (MF1) then my baseband (LG7)?

My real question is do I need to flash a new Baseband or Firmware (or Both) before doing any ROM flashing?
I understand invisiblek's post about only giving the baseband update. So should I flash the latest baseband?

Will any of this have any effect if I decide to flash a 4.4 ROM?

Any help is much appreciated!

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I've scoured the forum looking for an answer to my exact question but haven't come up with one that really satisfies it.
I'm looking to flash a 4.3 ROM (probably old&slow's:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2591895).

I'm currently running CleanROM 7 (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1832070).
In the thread it states it was based off VRBMF1 firmware. old&slow states (as do most other 4.3 ROM dev's for issues relating to the partition structure I believe) that you have to be running ML1 or earlier bootloader.

I guess my question is two fold. I'm a bit confused on the semantics. So I'm getting that generally the bootloader matches up with the baseband version. But in my case because my ROM and Baseband are mismatched, it seems like I'm running a newer bootloader (MF1) then my baseband (LG7)?

My real question is do I need to flash a new Baseband or Firmware (or Both) before doing any ROM flashing?
I understand invisiblek's post about only giving the baseband update. So should I flash the latest baseband?

Baseband (radio) is kind of your own taste and choice, some are doing great with older baseband and some are doing better with newer baseband. If you don't have any issue with signal drops or such then you can keep your baseband. Flashing a 4.4 rom which don't include baseband (baseband only included with full stock firmware). Or later, if you decided to flash new basaeband it would be fine too. If you're using MF1 baseband you should be OK to flash 4.4 rom.

Reactions: justinnotjason
Nov 23, 2011
Baseband (radio) is kind of your own taste and choice, some are doing great with older baseband and some are doing better with newer baseband. If you don't have any issue with signal drops or such then you can keep your baseband. Flashing a 4.4 rom which don't include baseband (baseband only included with full stock firmware). Or later, if you decided to flash new basaeband it would be fine too. If you're using MF1 baseband you should be OK to flash 4.4 rom.

Makes sense. I'd probably prefer to be running a newer baseband since my current one does, once in a blue moon, cut out. But I'd probably wait until after I've flashed a rom and know it's working before doing it. Just so I can isolate any issues that pop up from either flash.

But you're saying that I'm right to think that my bootloader is MF1 and my baseband is fine at LG7?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Makes sense. I'd probably prefer to be running a newer baseband since my current one does, once in a blue moon, cut out. But I'd probably wait until after I've flashed a rom and know it's working before doing it. Just so I can isolate any issues that pop up from either flash.

But you're saying that I'm right to think that my bootloader is MF1 and my baseband is fine at LG7?

You can go up to MB1 modem which is the latest just before ML1 (4.3 modem). I believe LG7 is ICS modem which is old...pretty old.

Nov 23, 2011
You can go up to MB1 modem which is the latest just before ML1 (4.3 modem). I believe LG7 is ICS modem which is old...pretty old.

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't update the firmware/radio when I upgraded to JB. I just flashed the MF1 firmware/baseband and all seems good. Will use it over the next day and rom tomorrow.

After the firmware update my s3 is trying to run software update. I'm still trying to search what files I need to rename to stop this (I did it last year when I ROM'd my phone initially).

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Thanks. Yeah, I didn't update the firmware/radio when I upgraded to JB. I just flashed the MF1 firmware/baseband and all seems good. Will use it over the next day and rom tomorrow.

After the firmware update my s3 is trying to run software update. I'm still trying to search what files I need to rename to stop this (I did it last year when I ROM'd my phone initially).

If the OTA already downloaded, delete it here /cache/fota
To disable the OTA:
Rename or freeze the apps with Titanium backup:
otacerts.zip located in /etc/security - rename to otacerts.zip.bak
Rename fwupdate.odex, fwupdate.apk located in /system/app
and freeze SDM1.0 located in /system/app

Nov 23, 2011
To disable the OTA:

EDIT:
Thanks.
Now I'm just troubleshooting why I can't seem to rename otacerts or change permissions. It's like SuperSU isn't giving it root permissions, but I granted it....weird....
ES File Explorer is giving me a "task failed" when I try to rename it. When I delete it it says "read-only" file system. I realize I need to mount it as R/W but when I try to change permissions in properties it gives me a "Sorry, Operation Failed".
I must be missing a step...hmmmm

Last edited:

Nomad1600

Jul 18, 2012
EDIT:
Thanks.
Now I'm just troubleshooting why I can't seem to rename otacerts or change permissions. It's like SuperSU isn't giving it root permissions, but I granted it....weird....
ES File Explorer is giving me a "task failed" when I try to rename it. When I delete it it says "read-only" file system. I realize I need to mount it as R/W but when I try to change permissions in properties it gives me a "Sorry, Operation Failed".

Try using Root Browser instead (free app in Play Store, seems I have more success renaming files using RB versus ES File Explorer).

Nov 23, 2011
Try using Root Browser instead (free app in Play Store, seems I have more success renaming files using RB versus ES File Explorer).

Huh...interesting...that worked without a hitch....Thank you!

No, you are wrong to think that. If you're on a custom rom then you're definitely not on a "VRBMF1" bootloader. Your bootloader is the same one we are all using, from a pre-release, S3 with an unlocked bootloader on ICS.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

I see.....i just flashed the MF1 firmware zip from the link provided in invisiblek's thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1788313), would that have updated my bootloader? How would I even tell on this phone. I read somewhere the information is provided in recovery someplace.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
I see.....i just flashed the MF1 firmware zip from the link provided in invisiblek's thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1788313), would that have updated my bootloader? How would I even tell on this phone. I read somewhere the information is provided in recovery someplace.

Just stop thinking about the bootloader lol you only need to be concerned about the bootloader if you're going from fresh, out of the box S3 to rooted and unlocked bootloader prior to flashing a custom rom OR if you accepted this 4.3 OTA (because the bootloader is locked). Generally the build number and the baseband will match. Pretty sure that's what you mean. The build number is which OTA the rom is based on. The bootloader is of no concern for you so long as you continue to flash custom roms and ignore OTAs.

Nov 23, 2011
Just stop thinking about the bootloader lol you only need to be concerned about the bootloader if you're going from fresh, out of the box S3 to rooted and unlocked bootloader prior to flashing a custom rom OR if you accepted this 4.3 OTA (because the bootloader is locked). Generally the build number and the baseband will match. Pretty sure that's what you mean. The build number is which OTA the rom is based on. The bootloader is of no concern for you so long as you continue to flash custom roms and ignore OTAs.

Ah I see. Makes sense.
Nah I was actually curious about the bootloader, but your post makes sense. Seems like as longs as it's unlocked, not to worry about it.
And yeah I understand the build number, and I just updated my baseband. I suppose I'll start looking into flashing some newer ROMs.
The only thing I noticed was that I have to update my CWM to flash any 4.4 ROMs. So I'm gunna look into that.

Reactions: SlimSnoopOS

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

To disable the OTA:
    EDIT:
    Thanks.

But you're saying that I'm right to think that my bootloader is MF1

No, you are wrong to think that. If you're on a custom rom then you're definitely not on a "VRBMF1" bootloader. Your bootloader is the same one we are all using, from a pre-release, S3 with an unlocked bootloader on ICS.