Can't turn gps/location on/off

Search This thread

henkmet

Apr 5, 2014
I'm quite sure this is not a rom/gapps/kernel related problem as it used to work. The only change to my system that I can imagine having any influence is installing greenify+disable services. Uninstalling them didn't solve the issue. I'm sure it's a messed up setting somewhere but I can'tbfind it. Reflashing rom (not pristine) didn't help. If anyone has an idea where to look for the setting, I'd rather not flash pristine & have to redownload everything again.

Can't change kocation status from quick panel
Can change status slider in settings but gps not working though it's 'on'.

arsradu

Apr 28, 2011
Motorola One Action
Moto G40 / G60
I'm quite sure this is not a rom/gapps/kernel related problem as it used to work. The only change to my system that I can imagine having any influence is installing greenify+disable services. Uninstalling them didn't solve the issue. I'm sure it's a messed up setting somewhere but I can'tbfind it. Reflashing rom (not pristine) didn't help. If anyone has an idea where to look for the setting, I'd rather not flash pristine & have to redownload everything again.

You can format /data from CWM or restore to factory settings (both methods basically do the same thing) to check if it's a setting issue, as it does look like one. Especially the service disabling part. That would be one thing that you can do.
Note that, with this method, you will loose contacts, calendar entries, messages, and of course, all settings (but that's pretty much the point of the formatting). You won't loose images, videos, downloads since those are saved in another places (your /sdcard0 aka internal memory or /sdcard1 aka external memory).

Another method would be to manually re-enable those services that you turned off. You can do that by either redownloading the app you were using before and undoing everything, then uninstalling the app. Or by going to Settings -> Apps -> All and doing it from there. Though I would recommend the redownload option.

The advantage of this method is, of course, that you get to keep all your data intact. The disadvantage is that, unless the redownloading of the app + undoing the stuff you've done before works as intended, you will have to go through all the processes and see which one you need to re-enable.

Reflashing the ROM without formatting at least /data, won't change anything since it's gonna keep all the settings.

Reactions: henkmet

henkmet

Apr 5, 2014
I tried to retrace which settings had been changed but gave up and did a factory restore. Issue solved (though I'll probably never know what setting was messed up)

arsradu

Apr 28, 2011
Motorola One Action
Moto G40 / G60
I tried to retrace which settings had been changed but gave up and did a factory restore. Issue solved (though I'll probably never know what setting was messed up)
Glad to hear the issue is solved now. In the future, I would recommend avoiding disabling services, if you can't foresee the ripple effect that it might trigger or if you don't have enough experience to know exactly what can or cannot be disabled. I, for one, don't know what each of those processes do or how are they related to one another, I never messed with those things and I generally prefer to be safe rather than sorry. So, I do backups of my contacts, messages, calendar entries. In case something goes wrong at some point, even a pristine installation of the ROM won't affect the data that I consider important since I can always restore it. :)

But we all learn from our mistakes. So, as a general suggestion, if it's not broken, don't fix it. And usually there are different, better, safer ways to accomplish the same thing. If you feel uncertain of the odds of your success, you might consider looking for alternatives before taking a final decision and messing up your phone. :)

And, as usual, we're here to help. That's what forums are for. So don't be afraid to ask. There will always be someone to help you out.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You can format /data from CWM or restore to factory settings (both methods basically do the same thing) to check if it's a setting issue, as it does look like one. Especially the service disabling part. That would be one thing that you can do.
    Note that, with this method, you will loose contacts, calendar entries, messages, and of course, all settings (but that's pretty much the point of the formatting). You won't loose images, videos, downloads since those are saved in another places (your /sdcard0 aka internal memory or /sdcard1 aka external memory).

Another method would be to manually re-enable those services that you turned off. You can do that by either redownloading the app you were using before and undoing everything, then uninstalling the app. Or by going to Settings -> Apps -> All and doing it from there. Though I would recommend the redownload option.

The advantage of this method is, of course, that you get to keep all your data intact. The disadvantage is that, unless the redownloading of the app + undoing the stuff you've done before works as intended, you will have to go through all the processes and see which one you need to re-enable.

Reflashing the ROM without formatting at least /data, won't change anything since it's gonna keep all the settings.