[Q] Pentile Matrix RGBW

Search This thread

basskidd

Jan 31, 2011
California
Very good article. I moved from atrix to inspire just because of screen tech. The pentile was really bothering me. :p Now I'm addicted to HTC sense and will probably be getting the holiday on ATT lte. Good luck and I'm sure you will be happy with either one.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA App

Robboftw

May 25, 2010
The Galaxy S II has an improved screen over early AMOLED tech but it isn't nearly as clear as the LCD on the Sensation when it comes to small text and fine detail.

jrwingate6

Aug 13, 2009
Charm City
Best kind of sites, the ones that will speak the impartial truth.

And yeah, the Sensation is the one I'll get. The camera is better on the Samsung but the higher res screen is a godsend for me (the resolution closes in on that of the original Galaxy Tab, HTC Flyer, and BB Playbook). Plus, I am upgrading from a Touch Pro 2, I really don't think any dual-core phone will disappoint me :p (except maybe for a Tegra2 one because I want High Profile H.264 decoding). I don't like the ergonomics of the SII or their UI (though their browser is buttery smooth). The new zoom method on the SII seems interesting but also seems to lack the precision needed to really make it useful (it'll most likely improve with time). Also, HTC in general is great with updates (I'm not saying anything bad about Samsung), they had 5 different ROMs for my TP2 and the latest update was released February of this year.

In summary these are my reasons for choosing the Sensation:

Higher resolution screen: great for reading web pages, novels, comics and I assuming it'll be great for document editing/formatting/creation. The colours on SAMOLED+ might be prettier but not as functional for me.

Camera, I need the cameras in general for spontaneous moments and for reference. To show what I was talking about or documentation moments, things, etc. (or even just avoiding the wasted paper of photocopies). I do wish it had more detail but it's enough for what I need (though what DOES bug me about it is that from some shots/videos you can see that it IS capable of capturing finer detail which makes me think the blurry/pastel-y parts are due to compression or noise reduction algorithms that are just too aggressive).

UI and HTC familiarity and product support (I honestly get the impression that Google's decision to ask companies to support devices for 18 months is going to affect HTC's practices and I mean that in a good way).

The processor might not be as good (MIGHT as it is still an ongoing debate and don't want people to jump down my throat) but it is better tenfold than the one I have at the moment.

And hey, I figure the "buttery smoothness" of the SII should be coming to all halfway decent phones, including the Sensation, when Ice Cream Sandwich comes out as Honeycomb supposedly supports GPU acceleration and so the Sandwich should too.

I am an informed shopper. I make sure I am aware of not only the advantages, but also the deficiencies, of what I buy but make the choice based on what's best for ME based on my likes/wants and NEEDS at the moment and near future.

Now I just have to do two things:

1) wait for reviews if they don't take too long to see if there's anything seriously wrong with the Sensation or something else that could change my decision (I doubt it).

2) Choose whether to buy an imported sim-unlocked version or import one from T-Mobile (This decision might be heavily influenced by the release date of unlocked versions and the programs pre-installed on the T-Mob version.

How about you Daivik? Make your choice? And don't worry, whatever it is I won't try to dissuade you :)

p.s. I read the Sensation manual and like that it has bilingual support for the keyboard/text prediction.. Something which is very useful for me (though for all I know the SII could have it).

You forgot to look at the most important thing. (Voice Calls). I have heard the call clarity is better on the GSII and so is the speaker. The GSII also has noise cancellation but the Sensation doesn't. The next most important feature is battery power because lets face it, Android's suck it down. That said, the battery on the SGSII lasts hours longer than the Sensation. Now to touch on some of your points. Yes, the GSII has bilingual support and the zoom method on the GSII is onlt an option. It also gives you the other zooming methods that come standard on Android (double tap and pinching). Lastly, I will be buying the Sensation but will probably get rid of it when the GSII comes state side. It's just the better phone and anyone who says it isn't is seriously in denial. Every single review on the GSII has said it's the best Android device ever made and possibly the best phone ever made and that it sets the bar. Well I haven't read a review yet about the Sensation where someone stated that the Sensation was the best ever made or that it broke the bar the GSII set. Both are good devices. The GSII is just better.