Mobile hotspot not working after root

Search This thread

maxum3300

Dec 26, 2013
I have an AT&T Galaxy S3 on android 4.3. I dont know anything about roofing so I paid rootandroid.com to root my phone so I could use the ARUnchained app with my pioneer appradio. The phone was successfully rooted and the ARU app is working fine, however now my mobile hotspot isnt working. I've read where others have had a problem with the hotspot not working after the 4.3 OTA update but my phone was updated when 4.3 was first released and I never had a problem with the hotspot not working until the phone was rooted last Saturday. I'm using the mobile hotspot that was originally installed on the phone when I got it new. When I try to use the app I turn it on and get the message that the app needs to turn wifi off. I press ok then it goes thru the verifying process then I get a notification wifi tethering active then the app immediately turns off. It's acts like it's trying to work but shuts down. After this attempt to connect I then can not turn my wifi back on. I have to restsrt the the phone to get it to work. I've tried downloading various other tether apps but none of them work. Any ideas what may be wrong?

theramsey3

Jun 27, 2012
You are already rooted, on 4.3 and do you have a custom recovery such as twrp or cwm? If not read tutorials and search the stickies. If so this is a link to http://d-h.st/F7O a file created by enewman17 called tether hack with blue tooth. You simply flash it in recovery and your stock native built into the phone tethering app will work exactly as it should. Be sure to Thank enewman17 for his work I simply know how to research I have yet to start developing.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

maxum3300

Dec 26, 2013
My phone is on stock 4.3 rom. I don't know anything about flashing roms. I don't even know how to root my phone. I had rootandroid.com do it for me so I dont feel comfortable trying to change anything. I really didnt want to even root my phone but it had to be done in order to run the AR unchained app. What would cause the hotspot to stop working after root. I asked the rep at rootandoid.com would this change anything on my phone. He said no all it does it give you better control of it. After rooting I found that some of my existing apps wouldnt work on a rooted phone. Fortunately I was able to find a way around that by using another app that hides root. Now if I could just get my hotspot working again I would be happy. Is it possible to remove root and if so how?

theramsey3

Jun 27, 2012
You can remove root but it isn't as simple as a setting in the phone. The link I gave you is something that is super simple to flash it is one of the less complicated mods. You should at least read the stickies and pay attention to the parts about using twrp or cwm.

You would place said file on the sd card in a location you can navigate to again, turn the phone off, press and hold volume up and the home key then press the power button until you feel the phone vibrate at which point you can release all three keys. This has now placed you into recovery mode if you have the stock Samsung 3e recovery(it will mention something about 3e in the very top line of that screen if it is) you will not be able to flash that file. Use the volume keys to navigate to highlight "reboot phone" Then press the power key And you will be back to using the phone as you have come to know it.

If you have cwm or twrp custom recovery you would select "by touching the appropriate tab" apply update.zip, then proceed to navigate to where your file is stored on the external SD card, follow the prompts, reboot the phone and your phone now works as it should.

To unroot the only way I know off the top of my head is going to be difficult at the least and would not give you official software on 4.3 because AT&T has no love for us guys anymore.

As far as tethering I found most apps very subjective before 4.3 and on lock down afterwards, that link by enewman17 made it so that the stock app works awesome and one isn't even required to pay said service provider for services that should be free to begin with. It rewrites a few lines in the tethering app so it doesn't look for subscriptions or authorization it just does what it was designed to do.

Whatever you choose do some research first it isn't that scary playing inside the phones but with this 4.3 make sure absolutely certain you do not flash a bootloader that is pre4.3 you won't like the outcome(it is fixable but intensive) and use common sense if it wasn't made for your exact phone model don't use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app