[Q] Camcorderproblem: Only one channel recording instead of stereo after 4.4.2 update

Search This thread

Netblade.nl

Jun 11, 2006
Zuid Holland
Same problem here, every rom build on 4.4.2 with sense 5.5 or sense 6.0 is having this issue. 4.3 works fine, kinda frustrating problem and I hope HTC wil solve this with the next update. The camcorder function is really worthless now.

jpzsports

Jun 15, 2010
Same problem here, every rom build on 4.4.2 with sense 5.5 or sense 6.0 is having this issue. 4.3 works fine, kinda frustrating problem and I hope HTC wil solve this with the next update. The camcorder function is really worthless now.

Same issue here! Thought it was an issue with just my device, but apparently it's a bug with Kit Kat. All my video recordings are almost impossible to hear the audio, and it's only recording the left channel. This bug needs to be fixed ASAP.

marvdmartian

Nov 4, 2006
Cebu
Just flashed ViperOne and in just a few hours, I immediately noticed this problem. I've always been very happy with the audio quality of the videos I took when i was still on the stock rom. But now that it seems that theres no fix for this, I'm seriously considering going back to a jellybean rom for the mean time. Maybe a jellybean ViperOne rom.

audioralf

Mar 12, 2011
Well returning to the former JV ROM helps, but does not solve generally the problem that HTC forgot to implement a functional driver to switch the camcorder mic on when you want to use it. All the other video applications and the pure audio applications should be able to use the camcorder mic. It is a discrimination not to give access. I hope one of the devs can solve this. I fear this will be the same on the M8. So don't leave us alone. I guess the better double membrane mic us only on the M7.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
Just flashed ViperOne and in just a few hours, I immediately noticed this problem. I've always been very happy with the audio quality of the videos I took when i was still on the stock rom. But now that it seems that theres no fix for this, I'm seriously considering going back to a jellybean rom for the mean time. Maybe a jellybean ViperOne rom.
I did exactly that! I'm on Viper 3.5 stereo works great!

I did some extensive testing over the weekend on KitKat - what makes it breaks it with a possible work around. Here are some tests and results:
First are the tests that break it:
Open the camera app take first video. While staying in camera app, take 2nd video and or 3rd.
Results:
2nd and 3rd video will not have stereo, only left-channel audio, only first video will have both channels for stereo.

(Only difference here is closing camera app and going back in.)
Open the camera app take first video. Close camera app and go back in to take 2nd or 3rd video.
Results:
2nd and 3rd video will not have stereo, only left-channel audio, only first video will have both channels for stereo.

Now, I previous thought only a reboot will enable stereo recording again, but I found a temporary fix:

Now for a temporary fix:
After you take your first video that will be in stereo, exit camera app, and open Google now. Just click the Google voice button. Doesn't matter if you say anything. Now go back to camera app and take 2nd video. The second video will now be in stereo without having to reboot phone!

After taking 2nd video - go back to Google now and open Google voice again. Again doesn't matter if you say anything. Go back to camera app and take 3rd video - it will be in stereo.

So for some reason Google voice resets whatever gets broke by the camera app for the 2nd microphone.

This method is kind of a hack job, because you have to remember before taking a video to open Google Voice if you want stereo recording. This can be impractical if you are with friends/enjoying a concert to remember after each video to go to Google Voice.

Also - this bug is present with Zoe from the camera app......and this is what killed it for me to go back to a 4.3 Jellybean rom:
Lets say you open the camera app and take a Zoe and want to take a video right after the Zoe....The Zoe will be in stereo - but your video will not be, only left-channel. So...even after taking a Zoe, you have to go back to Google Voice and then go back in to Camera app and take video.

This was the killer for me. Too many steps to remember. KitKat not worth staying on as I'm constantly taking Zoes/videos of my 6 year old. Can't be going back to Google voice.

I opened a ticket with HTC and it has moved its way up to tier 2 support. But I'm not holding my breath on it.

If you are on a KitKat Google play edition Rom this bug is avoided, since that camera app only records true Mono, so if you want to settle for mono you might be able to grab that camera from the play store.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be most welcome! I've thought of copying older jellybean camera libs to KitKat but don't have the time to test and see if that will make it or break it. Also I've tried some of the Sense 6 ports - and it seems the microphones are really sensitive in the camcorder app where a lot of clipping happens. Reminds me of my old Sensation, the way Sense 6 records video on the One. (I know its a port).

So for me right now Viper 3.5 is the way to go if you depend on stereo recording and can't be bothered with the google voice work around.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: NxNW and jpzsports

jpzsports

Jun 15, 2010

I did some extensive testing over the weekend on KitKat - what makes it breaks it with a possible work around. Here are some tests and results:
Open the camera app take first video. While staying in camera app, take 2nd video and or 3rd.
Results:

Open the camera app take first video. Close camera app and go back in to take 2nd or 3rd video.
Results:

Now, I previous thought only a reboot will enable stereo recording again, but I found a temporary fix:

Now for a temporary fix:
After you take your first video that will be in stereo, exit camera app, and open Google now. Just click the Google voice button. Doesn't matter if you say anything. Now go back to camera app and take 2nd video. The second video will now be in stereo without having to reboot phone!

After taking 2nd video - go back to Google now and open Google voice again. Again doesn't matter if you say anything. Go back to camera app and take 3rd video - it will be in stereo.

So for some reason Google voice resets whatever gets broke by the camera app for the 2nd microphone.

This method is kind of a hack job, because you have to remember before taking a video to open Google Voice if you want stereo recording. This can be impractical if you are with friends/enjoying a concert to remember after each video to go to Google Voice.

Also - this bug is present with Zoe from the camera app......and this is what killed it for me to go back to a 4.3 Jellybean rom:
Lets say you open the camera app and take a Zoe and want to take a video right after the Zoe....The Zoe will be in stereo - but your video will not be, only left-channel. So...even after taking a Zoe, you have to go back to Google Voice and then go back in to Camera app and take video.

This was the killer for me. Too many steps to remember. KitKat not worth staying on as I'm constantly taking Zoes/videos of my 6 year old. Can't be going back to Google voice.

I opened a ticket with HTC and it has moved its way up to tier 2 support. But I'm not holding my breath on it.

If you are on a KitKat Google play edition Rom this bug is avoided, since that camera app only records true Mono, so if you want to settle for mono you might be able to grab that camera from the play store.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be most welcome! I've thought of copying older jellybean camera libs to KitKat but don't have the time to test and see if that will make it or break it. Also I've tried some of the Sense 6 ports - and it seems the microphones are really sensitive in the camcorder app where a lot of clipping happens. Reminds me of my old Sensation, the way Sense 6 records video on the One. (I know its a port).

So for me right now Viper 3.5 is the way to go if you depend on stereo recording and can't be bothered with the google voice work around.

Hope this helps!

This WORKS!! Thank you so much for the workaround. I definitely hope HTC will fix this issue, but in the meantime this is so helpful.

Much appreciated

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
Glad this article was posted. I feel the microphone and speaker issues are all related lately.

I also like that they basically quoted my entire post.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

marvdmartian

Nov 4, 2006
Cebu

Results:

Results:

Now for a temporary fix:

Hope this helps!

This works! Thanks!

Has anybody else noticed that the left-only recording seems like it sounds more HDR than the stereo one? I mean the stereo recording sounds like it has a lower bitrate compared to the left-only recording.

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
Google voice [search] resets whatever gets broke by the camera app for the 2nd microphone.
This totally works!

Just verified it myself.

Thank you because, I have to say, the idea of downloading some other kind of recording app I don't otherwise need just for this purpose really bothered me for some reason.

Meanwhile you opened a "ticket" with HTC support? How is this done?

Has anyone tried the social media approach? I don't have facebook or I'd hit them up right now. This seems like a insignificant bug affecting a significant feature- you'd think they'd be quick to fix this outright or at least acknowledge the issue and promise a fix will be included in the next scheduled update even if that doesn't come for a while.

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
This totally works!

Just verified it myself.

Thank you because, I have to say, the idea of downloading some other kind of recording app I don't otherwise need just for this purpose really bothered me for some reason.

Meanwhile you opened a "ticket" with HTC support? How is this done?

Has anyone tried the social media approach? I don't have facebook or I'd hit them up right now. This seems like a insignificant bug affecting a significant feature- you'd think they'd be quick to fix this outright or at least acknowledge the issue and promise a fix will be included in the next scheduled update even if that doesn't come for a while.

I tweeted them last night and they just told me to reach out to support. I have a ticket open with them about this, and they have yet to call me back regarding it. It was escalated to tier 2, but still nothing.

In fact I tweeted them the article Android Authority wrote up:
http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-one-kitkat-camcorder-audio-bug-366228/

If you can tweet that back at them.

While the Google voice is a hot fix, its not very practical, especially if you are at a concert and can't remember after each video or zoe to go back and hit google voice.

Reactions: NxNW

luigi311

Feb 18, 2011
Just asked about it on the m8 forum and so far only one person has tried it and it was on a Sprint m8

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

jpzsports

Jun 15, 2010
Have any of you received a reply from HTC Tech Support? My issue got bumped to Tier 2 Support as well, but no response yet. It's disappointing that HTC won't even acknowledge the fact that this is a software bug and whether or not they are working on a fix.

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
Have any of you received a reply from HTC Tech Support? My issue got bumped to Tier 2 Support as well, but no response yet. It's disappointing that HTC won't even acknowledge the fact that this is a software bug and whether or not they are working on a fix.
No, me neither. Weird. My issue has been open for like 2 weeks now with them.
I suppose I could leave negative feedback on the customer survey they send after every email with them. They usually call when you leave negative feedback after opening a customer service issue.

My fear is that they are so focused on the M8 right now, we will be left behind for another 4 or 5 months.

I've been running a 4.3 Sense 5.5 Rom, which works fine, but that is not a solution especially for the folks that are s-on or locked.

If this bug was introduced in an update after the One was released last year, close to launch, we would have seen a hot fix come out almost immediately.

luigi311

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for asking in the M8 forum. Did the user have an answer yet?

There's only been one person that has replied and he said the bug wasn't present but that was just one person no-one else has said anything they just view and leave.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

jpzsports

Jun 15, 2010
I have potentially good news but could use some help testing it.

Google released their camera app into the Play Store for all Kit Kat devices. See more info here: http://www.androidcentral.com/google-camera-interface-overhauled-gains-swanky-defocus-effect

It also has a recording feature and from my quick testing, it doesn't seem to have the microphone issue, even on multiple recordings. I didn't get a chance to listen exactly and see if both left and right channels are working and compare it to the HTC camera app but I'm pretty sure they are because the volume doesn't decrease drastically in my 2nd recording.

Maybe some of you can give it a try and see what you think and how the app compares while we wait for a fix to the stock HTC app.

Reactions: NxNW and gustav30

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ

Google released their camera app into the Play Store for all Kit Kat devices. See more info here: http://www.androidcentral.com/google-camera-interface-overhauled-gains-swanky-defocus-effect

It also has a recording feature and from my quick testing, it doesn't seem to have the microphone issue, even on multiple recordings. I didn't get a chance to listen exactly and see if both left and right channels are working and compare it to the HTC camera app but I'm pretty sure they are because the volume doesn't decrease drastically in my 2nd recording.

Maybe some of you can give it a try and see what you think and how the app compares while we wait for a fix to the stock HTC app.

Thanks, will give it a shot also.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flashed the official Canadian sense 6 rom and ran a few tests and can confirm that the camcorder issue isn't present. It's all good!
    Somewhat good news to report. Just spoke to the upper support team at HTC on the phone and they are aware of the issue and agree that it is a software bug and are working on a fix.

Results:

Results:

Now for a temporary fix:

Hope this helps!

I am running 4.19.1540.1

EDIT

Ok I see what you're talking about.

Steps to reproduce:

1 Boot to a kit kat sense rom
    2 record video A
    3 immediately record video B of exact same ambient soundfield. Repeat if desired for videos B1, B2 etc.
    4 reboot
    5 record video C of exact same ambient soundfield.

Videos A and C are in stereo, video B is in mono.