MTTY (How to fix a bad ROM flash!)

Search This thread

Laurentius26

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 22, 2005
Hi,

I didn't see any post about using MTTY on Kaiser.

If I did a bad ROM flash with my previous device (HTC Universal), I could always fix this by clearing the FAT table with MTTY.

Believe me... if you flash and it stops ad 85% you will be very happy if you can use this tool!

Reason I started this thread is to help out people who are having such a problem with there Kaiser!

This is the correct procedure to get you out of trouble ;)

1. Stop ActiveSync, by Task Manager (press Ctrl + Alt + Delete)
kill two processes rapimgr.exe and wcescomm.exe

2. put your device into the cradle

3. Run mtty and Choose WCEUSBSH001 in 'PORT' (if it doesn't show then you didn't stop all active sync processes above!)

4. type "set 16 0" without the quotes to tell bootloader to boot the OS after reset. (for some devices it can also be "set 14 0")

5. type "task 8" to get your device formatted

6. type "task 0" to ask your device reboot

7. take the device out of the cradle, and manually reset it if it does not do that already.

Incase of an emergency it could be very helpfull I think!

Thank you all for providing the input in this thread so I could make this small user manual!

Happy flashing!

Leo :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 123nexus

DaveShaw

Senior Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2007
Huddersfield
www.taeguk.co.uk
I've read in many places about people using MTTY on thier Kaiser to get it to boot after a bad flash, but I can't remeber where. And I don't know where they got their info from. :D

Laurentius26

Nov 22, 2005
I could attach MTTY here but I'm a bit scared if I do is that people going to blame me if they brick there device!

That's why I'm asking someone has experience with it.

It could be usefull for a lot of people.

I've read in many places about people using MTTY on thier Kaiser to get it to boot after a bad flash, but I can't remeber where. And I don't know where they got their info from. :D

Last edited:

DaveShaw

Senior Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2007
Huddersfield
www.taeguk.co.uk
You supply a ROM that people can use to Brick thier devices (if they don't Hard SPL). :D

I suppose that's why they invented Big Red Font's and disclaimers.

If you do decide to post it, I'd get _Alex_ or Mike to add it to the Sticky.

P.S. I have yet to expirence it myself.

Last edited:

Laurentius26

Nov 22, 2005
Hahaha... yes you are right :D

Ok I will attache MTTY.

Thanks,

You supply a ROM that people can use to Brick thier devices (if they don't Hard SPL). :D

I suppose that's why they invented Big Red Font's and disclaimers.

If you do decide to post it, I'd get _Alex_ or Mike to add it to the Sticky.

P.S. I have yet to expirence it myself.

dwny

May 25, 2006
CLT / BKLYN
If you have a bad flash....that's no reason to worry.

I haven't had to use MTTY to recover.

In most cases, if there's no issues with the Rom itself...you can pop out the battery and re-flash the same ROM from BootLoader Mode. This will also work if for some reason your computer crashes or loses power & restart during the FLASH.

If the Rom has issues.....the flash will not complete and the device will be stuck in BootLoader Mode. At this point,you must FLASH a FACTORY ROM!!
Pop the battery off 1st, power up the device, device will power up in BootLoader Mode, connect to pc & FLASH your devices FACTORY ROM. This will restore your device back to it's original out the box settings.

The above only works if the device has been put through the Hard SPL or SuperCID process.

I personally have never tried to flash a cooked ROM without unlocking any of my devices. From what I've read what others have experienced...the flash would just fail and they're stuck in BootLoader Mode.

Myself ... I've experienced bad flashes, bad cooked roms that I've cooked, lost power to a pc & had my pc crash during a flash. Listed above is how I've recovered. There is life after Bootloader Mode.

The only time you have to worry is if your device does not power up at all

As a public chef...it's your responsibility to set the parameters of your ROM! Meaning, Radio, HardSPL, program conflicts, etc.

You are not ultimately responsible if someone bricks their phone but if they pushed the issue, you could be hit with some form of liabilty because you failed on providing a simple Disclaimer that sets the expectation.

I hope I've been helpful.....

Last edited:

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
Okay, MTTY is a very useful tool & can help save your butt on many occasions.

A few of those occasions include:

1. Bad flash or installation of HardSPL
2. Bad Flash of a ROM.

There are several other problems that can arise & be mended with the use of MTTY. The most common use is for recovery of any flash process resulting in an RUUBNH error.

For most of these error you want to use MTTY to reboot the low level CE of your device to flush out any bad blocks.

Use of MTTY to recover from these errors is usually simple. The basic outline of how to use MTTY to resolve these errors is as follows:

1. Right click on the quicklaunch activesync icon on the lower left quadrant of your pc. (You can also just open up the A/S program)
2. Select Connection Settings.
3. Uncheck the box labeled "Allow USB Connections" & then Click "OK".
4. Open MTTY & select "USB from the Port options drop down menu.
5. Select RTS/CTS from the Flow Control Settings & click "OK"
6. Pay attention, because for a brief mmoment MTTY wil report whether or not it could establish a port connection to USB. If you are successful, a Command window will open.
7. Hit the "Enter" key on your PC twice. You should then see a command prompt that looks like this "cmd>".
8. At the command prompt (cmd>) you should enter the command "boot".
This will reboot the device & report back about any errors or bad or erased blocks.
9. If your device was just hung, it should be fine after the reboot. If it returns to Boot Loader however, it means there was a problem with bad blocks.
10. If errors were reported & you end up back at the Boot Loader screen, then repeat the "Boot" Comand at the (cmd>) prompt.

It can sometimes take two or three boots to fully recover from RUUNBH errors, so if at first you don't succeed keep trying & remember to keep notes about any errors reported in the MTTY info window.

Other Information: MTTY needs to have full access to the USB port. Some anti-spyware, anti-virus & firewall programs can prevent MTTY from gaining the port access it needs. McCaffee in particular should be temporarily disabled & some firewall programs may also need to be disabled.

Feb 22, 2007
don't work :( damn :(

this is my pda

RUUNBH
KAIS 130
SPL-1.93.0000
CPLD-8
USB

this is mtty

cmd
Command error !!!

Cmd>boot
Command error !!!

Cmd>

drtolson

Jun 12, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
anyone know how much htc customer care ??? :(
When I sent mine in to look at a problem with connecting via 3G, I was quoted:

a) I'm responsible for shipping to the centre in Texas, US. (Don't know if there might be one closer to you).
b) There would be a charge of USD$28 for diagnosing the problem and producing an estimate to fix. They would call me with the estimate.
c) If I agreed to the fix, the $28 charge would be waived and I would be charged the estimated amount.
d) If I decided against the repair, I would be charged the $28 fee.
e) They would also charge for shipping the unit back to me, typically, about USD$50 for North America.

In my particular case, however, they have repaired the phone and shipped it back -- apparently at no cost to me, other than getting it down there. I guess they figured it was a 'in warranty' problem.

/drt

Laurentius26

Nov 22, 2005
Hi there,

Is your device dead or still responding?
Can you come into bootloader?

Did you follow this step before you connected your device and opened MTTY?
It's very important you do!

1) Kill activesync processes: Ctrl+Shift+Esc in Windows to bring up Task Manager. Kill wcescomm.exe and WCESMgr.exe (by selecting the task on the processes tab, and clicking the End Process button below)

Please tell me?

don't work :( damn :(

this is my pda

RUUNBH
KAIS 130
SPL-1.93.0000
CPLD-8
USB

this is mtty

cmd
Command error !!!

Cmd>boot
Command error !!!

Cmd>

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2007
the device iss not dead (i think) but with Mtty work only info and task 8.
i've follow all the step and killed active sync.

:(

Feb 22, 2007
EUREKAAAAAAA

i've follow this guide

2. Stop ActiveSync, by Task Manager (press Ctrl + Alt + Delete)

3. put your device into the cradle

4. Run mtty (from downloaded) Choose WCEUSBSH001

5. type "set 14 0" without the quotes to tell bootloader to boot the OS after reset.

6. type "task 28" to get your device formatted

7. type "task 0" to ask your device reboot

8. take the device out of the cradle, and manually reset it if it does not do that already.

:D:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I didn't see any post about using MTTY on Kaiser.

If I did a bad ROM flash with my previous device (HTC Universal), I could always fix this by clearing the FAT table with MTTY.

Believe me... if you flash and it stops ad 85% you will be very happy if you can use this tool!

Reason I started this thread is to help out people who are having such a problem with there Kaiser!

This is the correct procedure to get you out of trouble ;)

1. Stop ActiveSync, by Task Manager (press Ctrl + Alt + Delete)

2. put your device into the cradle

3. Run mtty and Choose WCEUSBSH001 in 'PORT' (if it doesn't show then you didn't stop all active sync processes above!)

4. type "set 16 0" without the quotes to tell bootloader to boot the OS after reset. (for some devices it can also be "set 14 0")

5. type "task 8" to get your device formatted

6. type "task 0" to ask your device reboot

7. take the device out of the cradle, and manually reset it if it does not do that already.

Incase of an emergency it could be very helpfull I think!

Thank you all for providing the input in this thread so I could make this small user manual!

Happy flashing!

Leo :)