[Root] How to Root Nexus 4! [Windows + Mac][Video]

Search This thread

techfanatic9

Mar 31, 2012
Vernon Hills, IL
www.androidrootz.com
Here's is a guide to show you how to root your Nexus 4 for both Windows and Mac! (Yes, there are other guides on XDA, but they don't show you step by step and for both Windows and Mac.)

THIS WILL DO A FACTORY RESET ON YOUR PHONE!!

Guide for Windows:

All FILES and STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTION FOR WINDOWS ROOTING METHOD HERE (also includes pictures for each step):
http://www.androidrootz.com/2012/11/how-to-root-nexus-4-on-windows.html

Guide for Mac:

All FILES and STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTION FOR MAC ROOTING METHOD HERE (also includes pictures for each step):
http://www.androidrootz.com/2012/11/how-to-root-nexus-4-on-mac.html

Yes, this does give you the official ClockworkMod Recovery for Nexus 4!
Feel free to ask questions, I will try to respond to as many as I can.​

Last edited:

koolbon

Aug 10, 2010
Is there any rooting method that doesn't do the factory reset?
I am asking cause factory reset messed up the secure element of my last phone.

Dungo212

Nov 29, 2012
OTA updates

Will this allow me to use OTA updates through OTA. I have a unlocked HTC sensation 4G, The nexus 4 is for my GF ( yea I know im a good BF i brought her the phone not myself) anyways lol. I just want to root it for Titanium backup no custom roms...maybe a UI when they make one for it since she doesnt know android, but just need to know whether i can OTA :cowboy:

one7dchevy

Mar 1, 2011
Will this allow me to use OTA updates through OTA. I have a unlocked HTC sensation 4G, The nexus 4 is for my GF ( yea I know im a good BF i brought her the phone not myself) anyways lol. I just want to root it for Titanium backup no custom roms...maybe a UI when they make one for it since she doesnt know android, but just need to know whether i can OTA :cowboy:

Soon as I finished mine up I got the update notification for the OTA update.. Would like to know also..

techfanatic9

Mar 31, 2012
Vernon Hills, IL
www.androidrootz.com

You will get notified when you have an OTA update available but when you try to update your phone it will not work. So...no.

otariq

Feb 17, 2012
Just to be clear this only adds root to stock rom right and doesn't delete it? Is there a way to make a complete backup before rooting as that deletes all data?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

otariq

Feb 17, 2012
Okay thanks thats fine as long as I can backup the stock rom I'm happy

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

teknhard

Nov 4, 2011
Winnipeg
This was nice and easy - i work part time on a mac, and don't know my way around nearly as well. Thanks for putting this together OP

otariq

Feb 17, 2012
if i want cwm touch recovery can i just download that and replace it with the recovery in the rootnexus4 folder and type that name in the command prompt?

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
You will get notified when you have an OTA update available but when you try to update your phone it will not work. So...no.

That's interesting.... So basically the root of N4 WILL PREVENT many future upgrade?

I rooted my Nexus 7 and use an app called Voodoo OTA RootKeeper from Google Play to protect the root. When OTA update comes, I updates my N7, lose root, use the app, root back. Done this for 4.2 and 4.2.1.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's is a guide to show you how to root your Nexus 4 for both Windows and Mac! (Yes, there are other guides on XDA, but they don't show you step by step and for both Windows and Mac.)

THIS WILL DO A FACTORY RESET ON YOUR PHONE!!

Guide for Windows:

All FILES and STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTION FOR WINDOWS ROOTING METHOD HERE (also includes pictures for each step):
    http://www.androidrootz.com/2012/11/how-to-root-nexus-4-on-windows.html

Guide for Mac:

All FILES and STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTION FOR MAC ROOTING METHOD HERE (also includes pictures for each step):
    http://www.androidrootz.com/2012/11/how-to-root-nexus-4-on-mac.html

Yes, this does give you the official ClockworkMod Recovery for Nexus 4!
    Feel free to ask questions, I will try to respond to as many as I can.​
    stuck on the android logo with the warning sign. Any suggestions?

I ran into this too, just download and flash the newest version of CWM. You can find it here: http://clockworkmod.com/rommanager
    I ran into this as well. It's my first time trying to root and I have followed the instructions in the video. But after the point of when you wipe data/factory reset, on the video he clicks that then yes then reboot now and it goes to a black screen that resets it, on mine it takes me to a different screen that has maybe 10 No's on it and one option +++++++Go Back+++++ after I click i can choose to reboot then it resets. This is the only difference. I placed the CWM as well as tried the new cwm on the phone and when I go to try to enter recovery mode that is when I get the android dead on his back with the red triangle. I really don't know what was done differently to have this happen. Anyone able to help? Thanks in advance.

I was having the same problem last night, this is what I did to fix it.

I went back and did steps 1 and 2 unplugging my phone first (using this guide: androidrootz.com/2012/11/how-to-root-nexus-4-on-mac.html)

After that since I already had unlocked the bootloader, I plugged the phone in and did step 8. Step 9 I made sure to cycle through the options with the volume keys to make sure the option read, "recovery mode" before hitting the power button (pretty sure this is what got us into trouble in the first place) after that since I had already done the factory wipe/reset like you did I skipped ahead and installed the CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip file following steps 13 on.

Hope this helps!
    I had it rooted but then i installed 4.2.2 over 4.2.1 and I lost my root.

Why is factory reset a must? Because of the recovery or because of unlocking bootloader. My bootloader is still unlocked. Can I get the phone rooted again without having to do factory reset?

If your bootloader is unlocked then you shouldn't be forced to do a factory reset.
    OP should really update the guide....vol up + vol dn + pwr is WRONG...and a royal pain in the @ss to do

the proper way to get to fastboot is vol dn + pwr. hold both through the vibration.