[BUG] CM9/CM10 Data connectivity bug - unFIXED, it seems

Search This thread

diogolm.adm

Feb 8, 2012
Florianópolis
Interesting observation here on today's Epsylon build....

Connectivity Checker kept restarting data even though it appeared to be connected. I've now disabled checking and no permanent drop outs yet. Previously if data stopped it would never reconnect without help. Now it appears to reconnect again.

Let's see if it lasts :)

Sent from my MB525 using xda premium

Nice!! Please let us know of your findings!

Regards!

ktmbikerman

May 7, 2011
Cape Town
woowwww... 2 hours is probably more than i got in any CM build... there's hope in the end of the tunnel!! :D

It's been over 12 hours no with no drop-outs :D

I think there is definitely hope...

I usually switch my phone to flight mode at night, but last night I decided to leave it connected to the dodgy 2G network at my home... this morning the GSM indicator was still beautiful ICS blue. I cycled to work over a mountain pass this morning and the phone connected to the 3G network perfectly on the other side.

Let's see how it goes today.

The build: Epsylon3's 120605 (I see 120606 is available too)
GSM Mode: Auto 2G/3G
Only 1 APN in the list (not sure if it matters any more)
Connectivity Checker disabled

Last edited:

jasom77

Feb 18, 2011
Neda

I usually switch my phone to flight mode at night, but last night I decided to leave it connected to the dodgy 2G network at my home... this morning the GSM indicator was still beautiful ICS blue. I cycled to work over a mountain pass this morning and the phone connected to the 3G network perfectly on the other side.

Are you using Connectivity Checker or just the Epsylon rom?

coolatin

Mar 13, 2012
Mumbai
Still no drop outs...

Sent from my MB525 using xda premium

see i told ya.. :) i dont hv to go check for messages online after toggling in the middle of the night..

works for me.. though i feel its too less if i set the time to 5 mins... but i hv seen that if i set it to 10 sometimes.. the "data shows connected" although the messages arent updated(like in whatapp..) so its best if I set it at 5 min

Edit: oh i see uv switched to 0606.. m still on 0528.. works fine for me..only for this bug.. i think i'll wait more till newer updates..until we get sm very noticeable differences from the current..

Last edited:

ktmbikerman

May 7, 2011
Cape Town
see i told ya.. :) i dont hv to go check for messages online after toggling in the middle of the night..

works for me.. though i feel its too less if i set the time to 5 mins... but i hv seen that if i set it to 10 sometimes.. the "data shows connected" although the messages arent updated(like in whatapp..) so its best if I set it at 5 min

Edit: oh i see uv switched to 0606.. m still on 0528.. works fine for me..only for this bug.. i think i'll wait more till newer updates..until we get sm very noticeable differences from the current..

I'm having no dropouts with Connectivity Checker disabled... no need for it after 120606 :)

It ran perfectly for 14 hours last night with 120605 and I loaded 120606 about 3 hours ago now and it's as perfect... no data drop outs!

diogolm.adm

Feb 8, 2012
Florianópolis

That's very nice to hear! Thanks men for sharing your findings! :D

I'm downloading Eppy's 0606 build to make a try, it's 06/06 morning here still...lol going to nandroid first because Eppy's used to be more unstable on my Defy than Quarx's Build and camera didn't work... let's see if this solve the problem!

If this helps i'll anxious waiting for Quarx to merge this corrections in a new build, his last is for 26/05 and it's the one that i'm using since then!

By the day i will give news about...

Regards!

ktmbikerman

May 7, 2011
Cape Town
As I expected, one level of the data connectivity bug has been fixed, but the other, related to switching between 2G and 3G still is present. I have the first drop out after 4 hours when the phone auto switched from 2G to 3G. If I force it to either 2G or 3G it works perfectly.

I suspect this is caused by the fact that I'm on a virtual (piggyback) network. I'd like to get some more input on this one from you guys once you've installed the latest build.

Or it could be because I was messing with the IPv4/IPv6 setting in the APN. Set it back to IPv4 only now to see if it'll make a difference.

Last edited:

coolatin

Mar 13, 2012
Mumbai
I'm having no dropouts with Connectivity Checker disabled... no need for it after 120606 :)

It ran perfectly for 14 hours last night with 120605 and I loaded 120606 about 3 hours ago now and it's as perfect... no data drop outs!

it may seem funny.. but i hv seen that it runs perfectly for the first day.. the problems start occurring only after that..:D

diogolm.adm

Feb 8, 2012
Florianópolis
Friends... Fail... :(

Connection still droping... did you certified that Connection Checker service is not running? After flashing the rom i run it for about a hour before i see that the service was still running in background, so a uninstalled de app... now after a while i checked and the connection was out again... :(:(

Take a look at the logcat:

06-06 08:55:45.112 D/ConnectivityService( 2298): ConnectivityChange for mobile: CONNECTED/CONNECTED
06-06 08:55:52.573 D/ConnectivityService( 2298): handleInetConditionHoldEnd: net=0, condition=100, published condition=0
06-06 10:23:05.718 D/ConnectivityService( 2298): handleInetConditionHoldEnd: net=0, condition=0, published condition=100

Well... Let's keep trying!

rey_lazo

Sep 15, 2011

Connectivity Checker disabled

link ?

jasom77

Feb 18, 2011
Neda
Bad news, after testing it since yesterday afternoon I continue with the same old problems,with only 2g, only 3g and auto.
No improvement for me.

ktmbikerman

May 7, 2011
Cape Town
Bad news, after testing it since yesterday afternoon I continue with the same old problems,with only 2g, only 3g and auto.
No improvement for me.

I see you are on a virtual network like me... I believe that is a big part of the problem. My wife's defy is on the network that mine piggybacks on, and it has no problems.

It certainly is much better for me, but still not perfect. The following commit was merged into cyanogen today, which gives me more hope:

https://github.com/maniac103/androi...mmit/1d85e3781d2b0e7eabf7474ced80f0e3dab60191

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I did some investigation on that bug the last few weeks and here is what I came up with based on my findings and what others have posted in this thread previously:

• The bug seems to be somewhere inside the Motorola RIL implementation and appears to be present in all available RIL versions, i.e. there is no way to fix it
    • I believe the bug is also present in stock ROMs, but they recover automatically within at most a couple of minutes
    • The built-in data connection recovery in CM9/10 does not play well with the Defy, but it can be modified easily
    • With a slightly modified version of Quarx's ROM, I have fairly stable connectivity for one week now (longest dropouts around 2 to 3 minutes) and none that required toggling mobile data or flight mode. With a stock GB Defy+, I have temporary dropouts of similar length in my area. Without the patch I had dropouts almost every hour in some areas.

Here are some more details on what I figured:

The data connection seems to go down but the RIL implementation does not send any event to notify us. We therefore assume that data is still connected. It seems to be common that something like this happens, therefore there is a OnDataStallAlarm function that is called periodically to check if the connection is still alive. It does this by counting the number of sent packages and the number of received answers, assuming that something is broken if you do not get any data packets back for a while.
    As soon as a data stall is detected, this routine starts a whole cascade of recovery actions.

However for our bug, these recovery functions get never activated because the number of sent packages is also not increasing any more. The simple solution I found is just to send a notification for a data connection change if there was no traffic at all during the last cycle.
    This does not hurt because if the connection was still alive, this notification should do nothing. However if the connection was lost previously, it triggers a reconnect. I compared the connection tracker to older versions of Android, and it even seems like in older Android versions, this was done periodically to work around bad RIL implementations that did not report connectivity loss properly.

I think that this portion of the code (the connection recovery) was significantly modified from Android 2.6 to 4.0, and it probably did the recovery properly in earlier versions. This is why there were no persistent data connection dropouts although the actual RIL bug probably always has been there.

I attached my patched version of /system/framework/framework.jar which should work with Quarx's 0903 MB525 build (I suppose you know what you're doing when using this file, but in case you get stuck on boot, you can always go back to one of Quarx's ROMs by reflashing) and a patch for the source code.

I am sure there is a more elegant way to work around this bug and fix the data stall alarm, but at least I hope this is pointing to the right direction..

Edit: Patch is integrated in latest Quarx 12.09 build, no need to apply it manually any more :)
    This patch and some more fixes for it are included in latest version of cm10
    The connectivity bug appears to be back again since the 2 Nov CM10 update - can others please confirm this?

This bug has been squashed, thanks to a hack by SlugZero, many thanks! The fix has been incorporated in Quarx' builds, from 12.09

Many users have confirmed the data connectivity bug (in CM9 and CM10) and others seems unaffected. The purpose of this thread is to try and characterize the problem, to see if there is a common setting that increases the likelihood of the data disconnects.

Please provide the following information if you are faced with data disconnects (APN info found under System Settings > More…> Mobile Networks > Access Point Names) :

Type of service provider: Normal /Virtual
    Cell reception area: Good/Average/Bad
    Data type problematic: 2G/3G/HSPDA/All types
    Access Point Names - APN: internet/URL
    Proxy: IP address/URL/blank

If you have any info to add or think there might be something else causing the problem, please say so in your post.

Hopefully we can use the gathered info to get this bug squashed :)

EDIT 06-07-12

Here’s what I’ve experienced so far:
    1. Having only one APN in your APN list is better, I delete unnecessary APNs.
    2. Selecting only 2G or only 3G is better, I leave my phone on 3G and switch to auto when there is no 3G coverage. - Edit 08-03-2013
    3. Forcing your phone to work on a specific network is better, if you have the option to roam on another network, that is.
    4. Older networks seem more problematic than newer networks (just a hunch).
    5. Some sim cards can be problematic, I recently bought a new sim card and it improved my connectivity 10 fold, but I still have the odd disconnect if I disobey the rules above.
    The dropout seems to be caused by an incorrect handover from cell tower to cell tower, or network to network, or one network type to another, so by limiting these changeovers, you limit the chance of dropouts. My connectivity is pretty much “perfect” now, although it would be great to leave everything on auto without concern. If you want to do that, you could install Connection Checker, by Jeremy Chase. This app toggles Airplane mode if it detects a data disconnect. I don’t use it anymore though.
    I’m on FuZZ_’s 30 June CM9+ build at the moment.
    I recon if you get 50+ thanks on your very first post in XDA that you should be given SuperHero status instantly :)

Thanks, but I believe that even then I would not be allowed to post there before having at least 10 posts ;)

May be possible change the default values in a config file without recompile?

Actually yes, I think there is no recompiling necessary, since the hard-coded defaults are overridden by values from system settings (Settings.Secure.DATA_STALL_ALARM_AGGRESSIVE_DELAY_IN_MS / Settings.Secure.DATA_STALL_ALARM_NON_AGGRESSIVE_DELAY_IN_MS). But since I am quite new to this Android development stuff myself, I have no idea how to set these (maybe somebody else does).

However I think that changing the timeout is not the best way to improve data connectivity further. I do have some ideas for improvement, like checking/triggering connection on screen on (mostly better user experience) and/or modifying the packet sums in TrafficStats (could also fix other data connectivity issues). I don't have much time in the next few weeks to look into this, but if there is still need for improvement afterwards, I'm going to try some things.
    I attached my patched version of /system/framework/framework.jar which should work with Quarx's 0903 MB525 build (I suppose you know what you're doing when using this file, but in case you get stuck on boot, you can always go back to one of Quarx's ROMs by reflashing) and a patch for the source code.

I am sure there is a more elegant way to work around this bug and fix the data stall alarm, but at least I hope this is pointing to the right direction..

NICE WORK!

i think it worked great, don't had such big problems as without the patched framework.jar on latest Quarx build 0409.

have made a update zip with ur framework patch for those users that dont want to-do it manual (such lazy ppl like me)