Update to NC5 with Mobile Odin Pro and keep root, Knox 0x0

Search This thread

Drasco

Sep 6, 2010
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me. It sounds like you guys have achieved what I'm trying to. I've got a GT-I9505 which is on 4.2.2 but I'm trying to upgrade to stock 4.4.2.

I'm using mobile odin to flash I9505XXUFNB9_I9505O2UFNA2_I9505XXUFNB9_HOME.tar (stock o2 UK 4.4.2), as you've mentioned this installs everything apart from the bootloader and I cleared the recovery partition so I can keep my existing cwm recovery.

This works really well and apart from the Samsung keyboard crapping out android installs fine as far as I can tell keeping root. My issue is mobile signal and wifi - it looks like mobile odin isn't installing the modem as my baseband version doesn't change.

So after a bit of searching I flashed the baseband that matches my build number from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2192025 and this fixed mobile signal and data but not wifi. So I also flashed the wifi fix (non-hlos.bin) that matched my new baseband - this really affected the performance and battery usage of the phone and didn't fix my wifi issue.

After a bit more searching I found out that the version of non-hlos.bin should match the bootloader so I flashed the version that matched my old baseband version (I9505_XXUBMF8_WiFi_FIX.tar.md5) and this fixes the performance issues I'm having and battery drain but still doesn't allow me to enable wifi.

I'm so tantalisingly close to getting this working! Everything is working apart from being able to turn wifi on (the button tries to toggle but just goes straight back to off).

The plus side to upgrading this way is that I don't have knox and I still have cwm installed so I've just restored my 4.2.2 backup for the time being. I'm tempted to try just a straight flash of the rom via odin but I'm concerned I'll have the same issue with wifi and no way of going back to 4.2.2 as the bootloader will have upgraded.

I've searched here on XDA and have tried changing my build.prop to set securestorage to false and have deleted wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf but this doesn't fix the problem.

If any one has any ideas or suggestions on how to get wifi working I'd be really grateful.

Boing7898

Aug 10, 2011
I'm going to follow this tutorial and update to 4.4.2 from 4.3.
I really want to reset to factory settings though, will I loose root if I reset after updating to 4.4.2?
Thanks.

commandonz

Aug 16, 2013
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me. It sounds like you guys have achieved what I'm trying to. I've got a GT-I9505 which is on 4.2.2 but I'm trying to upgrade to stock 4.4.2.

Some of the information here could be helpful. I went from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 WanamLite, which is stock without knox and pre-rooted. It works well, recommended.

super_f

Nov 11, 2012
Thessaloniki
Does it work on NC4 as well?

I am also intrested in updating to NC4 so if someone knows if it does work please tell me. Thank you very much! (Also, a guide or some instructions for how to exctract the bootloader with Total Commander whould be very very helpful!!)

Gachmuret

Jul 19, 2009
Upgrade rooted knox 0x0 to latest Kitkat?

Hi there,

On another forum here in french in the FAQ it is confirmed that upgrading to I9505XXUFNA5 4.4.2 Kitkat pre-release rom rooted with knox 0x0 is successful with latest MOP 4.1+.

But is it also working for latest I9505XXUFNC4 kitkat release?

Thx for any replies and confirmations!

dwl99

Sep 22, 2008
I'm struggling to find a guide to creating the bootloader tar.md5 file using Total Commander - can anyone help? Or maybe some kind person could upload the modded bootloader tar.md5 file for I9505XXUFNC5_I9505H3GFNC2? Would the NC5 bootloader tar file for Wanam Lite NC5 http://wanamlite.com/2014/04/03/wanamlite-xxufnc5-v2-6-android-kitkat-4-4-2-xposed/ do the job without tripping the Knox flag?

Thanks

EDIT - I came across a guide to doing this with Linux http://www.rwilco12.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=92 - could someone please check I've got the Terminal commands correct as I really don't want to brick my phone!

tar -H ustar -c aboot.mbn rpm.mbn sbl1.mbn sbl2.mbn sbl3.mbn tz.mbn > bootloader.tar

md5sum -t bootloader.tar >> bootloader.tar

mv bootloader.tar bootloader.tar.md5

EDIT again - I just took a big breath & created the bootloader.tar.md5 file as per above & everything went fine. I now have a rooted stock 4.4.2 with Knox 0x0!! Thanks for posting.

PS I've uploaded the bootloader.tar.md5 file (I9505XXUFNC5) but accept no responsibility if your phone explodes etc etc

Last edited:

odicamillo

Oct 19, 2010
I'm struggling to find a guide to creating the bootloader tar.md5 file using Total Commander - can anyone help? Or maybe some kind person could upload the modded bootloader tar.md5 file for I9505XXUFNC5_I9505H3GFNC2? Would the NC5 bootloader tar file for Wanam Lite NC5 http://wanamlite.com/2014/04/03/wanamlite-xxufnc5-v2-6-android-kitkat-4-4-2-xposed/ do the job without tripping the Knox flag?

Thanks

EDIT - I came across a guide to doing this with Linux http://www.rwilco12.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=92 - could someone please check I've got the Terminal commands correct as I really don't want to brick my phone!

tar -H ustar -c aboot.mbn rpm.mbn sbl1.mbn sbl2.mbn sbl3.mbn tz.mbn > bootloader.tar

md5sum -t bootloader.tar >> bootloader.tar

mv bootloader.tar bootloader.tar.md5

EDIT again - I just took a big breath & created the bootloader.tar.md5 file as per above & everything went fine. I now have a rooted stock 4.4.2 with Knox 0x0!! Thanks for posting.

PS I've uploaded the bootloader.tar.md5 file (I9505XXUFNC5) but accept no responsibility if your phone explodes etc etc
Do you have to create a .md5 file or you can flash just the .tar file?
Thank you.

pRo_lama

May 10, 2008
Prague
Thanks for your tutorial. I made update from 4.3 MFK to 4.4.2 NDG and everything was successful. I did my own way how to extract and pack bootloader via Cygwin64 Terminal. :good:

TechShui

Oct 21, 2013
Thanks for your tutorial. I made update from 4.3 MFK to 4.4.2 NDG and everything was successful. I did my own way how to extract and pack bootloader via Cygwin64 Terminal. :good:
When I run the commands in CygWin terminal it just hangs.
Is there a newer version of tar that I need to install, or what am I missing :confused:

pRo_lama

May 10, 2008
Prague
When I run the commands in CygWin terminal it just hangs.
Is there a newer version of tar that I need to install, or what am I missing :confused:

Hi. Right now I really don't know how I did v CygWin, because I don't have I9505 for a long time. But I made tutorial in my own language and here is the translation of that.

This is tutorial how to make .tar & .md5 file with bootloader files:

1) Make a new folder on C: disk and copy there .md5 and .dll file.
2) Run CygWin and write this command:
Code:
cd C:/path_to_the_folder
3) Another 2 commands (the second one takes a little bit more time):
Code:
rm -rf SS_DL.dll
tar -xvf name_of_your_file.tar.md5
4) This command is that long, not 2 commands!
Code:
tar -H ustar -c rpm.mbn tz.mbn aboot.mbn sbl1.mbn sbl2.mbn sbl3.mbn > new_name_of_file.tar
5) And the last 2 commands where you make from .tar file, new .md5 file.
Code:
md5sum -t new_name_of_file.tar >> new_name_of_file.tar
mv new_name_of_file.tar new_name_of_file.tar.md5
P.S.: The "new_name_of_file" is one name which is used multiple times. ;)

**6) If you want to make .tar package from other files of that firmware here is the command, then just use step 5 if you want to .md5 file. But for this step you have to use another name, not the same which is in step 5:
Code:
tar -H ustar -c boot.img cache.img.ext4 hidden.img.ext4 modem.bin NON-HLOS.bin recovery.img system.img.ext4 > new_name_for_firmware.tar

TechShui

Oct 21, 2013
Thank you prolama but i figured it out.
It was actually my own fault the terminal hung. I didn't enter the command properly.

Typed fast, and left out the > before the output.tar file

tommiyau

Jun 23, 2013
I successfully updated my Telstra mobile using this proceedure from 4.3 to 4.4.2 and maintained root. Used flashfire to create my boot loader archive and then mobile odin to flash the firmware plus odin 3.09 to flash the boot loader. All good and maintaine root and knox 0x00. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have just updated my rooted 4.3 i9505 to 4.4.2 using mobile odin Pro v4. Here are the steps i followed:

1) Download firmware for your region from sammobile.com
    2)Make a copy of firmware and Extract bootloader from firmware: aboot.mbn, rpm.mbn. sbl1.mbn, sbl2.mbn, sbl3.mbn, tz.mbn and Pack into a bootloader tar file with Total Commander (google it)
    3) Use Mobile Odin Pro v4 to flash firmware from step 1 above. It will not update bootloader in firmware. Make sure you tick:
    a) Enable Everoot
    b) Inject Superuser (SuperSU)
    c) Inject Mobile Odin
    d) Download mode after flash (so that it will boot straight to download mode)

4) Use PC Odin 3.09 to flash bootloader tar file made in step 2 above. Tick Phone Bootloader Update. DO NOT tick Auto Reboot and F. Reset time.
    5) Boot again into download mode to check Knox flag which should remain 0x0
    6) Reboot device and wait up to 5mins.

Device will be updated to 4.4.2 and retains root and Knox remains 0x0.

Enjoy.

Edit: I used the information here to transform my S4 into S5:

www.androidpit.com/how-to-transform-your-galaxy-s4-into-an-s5
    Mine worked on nc9.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks

Thank you!!!
    Yesterday I installed GNE5 on my i9505, it is working like a charm. Knok void 0x0 and the phone kept the root. I built by myself the bootloader.tar.md5.