S4 Screen cracked in front jeans pocket! Galaxy S4 is very weak!

Search This thread

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
A nice long post there but, when all said and done, no phone should crack as a result of someone's normal behaviour whilst it being in their front trouser pocket. And if it does it's frankly not fit for purpose.

But saying that, I'd put a rigid cover on it of some sort. There are enough of them to choose from, and without spoiling the look of the device.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
no phone should crack as a result of someone's normal behaviour whilst it being in their front trouser pocket. And if it does it's frankly not fit for purpose.

I know "fit for purpose" is big in the UK. Where's the definition of "fit for purpose" as it comes to the durability of a device with components we all know can be damaged to varying degrees? Saying the SGS4 shouldn’t crack when other phones haven’t is totally subjective and each scenario is unique. Because the SGS4 doesn't do as well in trouser pockets as other phones doesn't mean it's "unfit," it just means its less durable being pocketed (subjected to stress). You can claim to a watch dog that the SGS4 shouldn't crack when it does but with no "standard" to measure it against and so many ways for any phone display to be cracked it's going to be awfully difficult proving it's not fit for purpose.

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I know "fit for purpose" is big in the UK. Where's the definition of "fit for purpose" as it comes to the durability of a device with components we all know can be damaged to varying degrees? Saying the SGS4 shouldn’t crack when other phones haven’t is totally subjective and each scenario is unique. Because the SGS4 doesn't do as well in trouser pockets as other phones doesn't mean it's "unfit," it just means its less durable being pocketed (subjected to stress). You can claim to a watch dog that the SGS4 shouldn't crack when it does but with no "standard" to measure it against and so many ways for any phone display to be cracked it's going to be awfully difficult proving it's not fit for purpose.

It's really very simple, and the geographical location is a compete irrelevance as we're discussing what should be common sense here. The Galaxy S4 is a mobile device, and it should be possible to take certain things for granted as a result. So unless you're suggesting it be kept in a teflon box attached to a belt clip, having the display on a disproportionate amount of devices break under the everyday, standard duress other phones appear more than capable of dealing with (including previous generations of devices by Samsung themselves) is completely unacceptable.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
It's really very simple, and the geographical location is a compete irrelevance as we're discussing what should be common sense here. The Galaxy S4 is a mobile device, and it should be possible to take certain things for granted as a result. So unless you're suggesting it be kept in a teflon box attached to a belt clip, having the display on a disproportionate amount of devices break under the everyday, standard duress other phones appear more than capable of dealing with (including previous generations of devices by Samsung themselves) is completely unacceptable.

You're missing or ignoring the point I'm making. I fully agree the SGS4 with its thinner form factor, larger display, and smaller bezel is more susceptible to damage from stress than the SGS3. But why does that make it "unfit?" People here are expressing an expectation but there's a difference between that and a defined and measurable standard that the SGS4 is on the wrong side of. Samsung made no claims as to the durability of the SGS3 or SGS4 that could have mislead people which is what watchdogs go after. And "my SGS3 didn't crack" isn't a smoking gun against the SGS4 and wouldn't be taken seriously as there are a ton of variables that can cause any devices display to crack. So far there's been between 12 and 15 cracked screens reported. If there are tens of thousands in the next 90 days that's something that would get a watchdog's attention as that average would be notably higher than other phones. If the average stays in the 1-3% range, even if that's higher than the SGS3, it's going to be hard to claim "unfit." The increased likelihood of the display cracking may make the SGS4 less desirable but there's a big difference between that and unfit. The good news is people are aware now and can be careful or skip the SGS4 all together. Who knows? Maybe this is why Samsung's releasing the Active.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Here are the tear downs of the SGS3 and SGS4. At least to me, there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference in the design or construction. In fact the SGS3's plastic sub-frame is two pieces and the SGS4's is one which I imagine would be stronger in terms of preventing flex. Although the SGS4 has a larger battery cut out that’s much closer to the edges of the phone. I'm no engineer so don't know if that would affect rigidity. The front glass, display and plastic frame are fused in to a single assembly on both phones so unless those components in the SGS4 being notably thinner is a contributing factor to the cracking that too is the same. So looking at the tear downs there’s no “ah ha!”

From iFixit - The glass is fused to the display, and the display to the Galaxy S III's frame.

From iFixit - Unfortunately, the display and front glass are fused, with a layer of optical adhesive. The glass is then adhered to the plastic display frame, making a single assembly. Not a big surprise.

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
You're missing or ignoring the point I'm making. I fully agree the SGS4 with its thinner form factor, larger display, and smaller bezel is more susceptible to damage from stress than the SGS3. But why does that make it "unfit?" People here are expressing an expectation but there's a difference between that and a defined and measurable standard that the SGS4 is on the wrong side of. Samsung made no claims as to the durability of the SGS3 or SGS4 that could have mislead people which is what watchdogs go after. And "my SGS3 didn't crack" isn't a smoking gun against the SGS4 and wouldn't be taken seriously as there are a ton of variables that can cause any devices display to crack. So far there's been between 12 and 15 cracked screens reported. If there are tens of thousands in the next 90 days that's something that would get a watchdog's attention as that average would be notably higher than other phones. If the average stays in the 1-3% range, even if that's higher than the SGS3, it's going to be hard to claim "unfit." The increased likelihood of the display cracking may make the SGS4 less desirable but there's a big difference between that and unfit. The good news is people are aware now and can be careful or skip the SGS4 all together. Who knows? Maybe this is why Samsung's releasing the Active.

I'm neither missing or ignoring your point. But perhaps the simple truth is we have different definitions of unfit after all in the same way people from the UK and US generally have very different definitions as to what justifies litigation. For me, a disproportionate amount of Galaxy S4 devices breaking in people's pockets with no misuse is a reasonable definition of the word given the purpose of the device. You clearly don't agree so perhaps we'd best move on.

Simply_Android

Sep 3, 2012
the screen didnt break, it was fried by a electricity short in the motherboard, maybe you sweat in your pocket, i am a mobile technician and i have seen this before,
maybe you charge it on a different charger. but its not broken

boterkaaseneieren

May 12, 2013
bit.ly
You find this weak?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNIn0BAUjv4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

the screen didnt break, it was fried by a electricity short in the motherboard, maybe you sweat in your pocket, i am a mobile technician and i have seen this before,
maybe you charge it on a different charger. but its not broken

Maybe he just piste in his pans.

Reactions: astoncheah

cmd512

Aug 25, 2009
Shanghai
Not to be an ass, but not all jean pockets are equal. For instance, some jean pockets have a fat bastard behind it while others don't. Are these phones tested for fat bastard creases?

(On a more serious note, my phone is always in my pockets and go through the usual sitting / standing routine... no cracked screen. As a data point, I'm not a fat bastard though.)

Reactions: takertx and sarbe

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
You think? I think it's quite clear from the descriptions (and photographs) in the various threads on this subject that the AMOLED panels have cracked as a result of pressure exerted on them from the phone flexing. I'm extremely sceptical about the shorting theory.

Simply_Android

Sep 3, 2012
a short from behind the screen where there is little protection against hits/blows to the screen not like the front panel where there is gorilla glass,
what happens if you put a Glass cup into a oven, thats right it breaks from heat, and being under pressure and tension, im not trying to be a smart ass. but im just saying the obvious, that was in front of our eyes the whole time

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
It's neither obvious or in front of my eyes given that my phone is fine. However, I don't agree with your assessment of how it has happened to the people who have suffered from this issue.

Glass cups and ovens? Right.

Hendrickson

Aug 24, 2008
Denia, Spain
www.youtube.com
I have talked to Samsung support a few times now today. They will not repair it for free. They claim that broken screen means the phone must have been abused. Dropped or bent. Which I did not do. They don't know of plans to recall the phone or fix the screen breaking issue. According to them there is no issue.

I have to take the phone to an approved service center but its going to cost me about 200-250 euros to fix. This is pure BS.

I don't think I'm going to buy anymore Samsung phones again. I was a fan of there phones but it seems in order to make the phone thin they sacrificed the strength of the phone way too much. And have created a phone with a real weakness that can take even the stresses of a jeans pocket.

NO im not fat, I'm 182cm tall and 80kilos. And no I don't wear tight jeans. These where normal loose fit jeans.

Highly unimpressed with the weak S4. I will sell it on Ebay as Spares. At least someone can replace the screen and resell the phone its perfect apart from a broken Samolded. I will stick to the Optimus G Pro. It might not be as fast, but the 5.5" handles a jean pocket without any issues.

Reactions: louis.b

raidenuk

Jan 6, 2011
UK
I saw my S4 screen go yesterday while putting on my SGP ultra fit case, when back to the shop today they told me its a chargeable repair, gonna contact Samsung head office see if I get any joy.

Hendrickson

Aug 24, 2008
Denia, Spain
www.youtube.com
I saw my S4 screen go yesterday while putting on my SGP ultra fit case, when back to the shop today they told me its a chargeable repair, gonna contact Samsung head office see if I get any joy.

Best of luck, Samsung just told me its my fault. I pay for the repair. They will no doubt say its your fault too for not using an official case on it. Such a shame that Samsung have headed into Apple territory now. Care factor 0% Just give us your $$$

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One more guy who doesn't take care his phone, "Oh my god, my phone just broke, I did nothing, It broke itself. samsung suuuuucks, I will go HTC one!!!"

Of course. Always samsung build quality, always the manufacturer fault.

As you see the glass didnt break... so it is definitly a thing to worry about...
    I have been so careful with my S4, never dropped it. Looking after it. Today I put my phone in my front jeans pocket like always. Got in the car and after a 5 minute drive got out and the screen is showing funny colors and its cracked ;(

I have had many phones in this front jeans pocket (They all lived) and somehow a slight bend has done this. Very weak, if you ask me we are going to see a lot of this as it seems the phone is not the strongest at all. Time for a unibody HTC I think. I've had it with Samsung's plastic crap. :(

My phone will be up on ebay if anyone wants an i9500 for spares.

Edit: The gorilla glass is fine, its the amloed behind that cracked.
    you must of sat on it or something because mine is always in my front pocket (screen facing my leg) and no problem..

One more guy who doesn't take care his phone, "Oh my god, my phone just broke, I did nothing, It broke itself. samsung suuuuucks, I will go HTC one!!!"

Of course. Always samsung build quality, always the manufacturer fault.

1. Hendrickson (OP)
    2. raidenuk
    3. beatmag (discoloration)
    4. jdashford
    5. scriptx
    6. pitapart
    7. murrowxda (AT&T)
    8. Shadowcash ("friend's broke")
    9. greenandroid.sb
    10. _Supernaut
    11. zoroko
    12. blader0109
    13. nevillejb75
    14. Ace 272
    15. epsilon8888
    16. SSTaLoN
    17. kuribo67
    18. danniibxn
    19. Toshanda (screen died)
    20. minipcpro (YouTube video)
    21. saspi
    22. saspi (broke again after repair [drop])
    23. mmessina
    24. AMDERS17 (AT&T)
    25. SAShady (Sprint)
    26. ostrow30
    27. Trax_
    28. LadyDiana0265
    29. XsonicX
    30. Gash128
    31. TeeeJaay ("friend" - GG3 cracked, not AMOLED)
    32. rallyfan1986 (GG3 cracked, not AMOLED)

So with 25 pages of discussion, 32 are how many phones have been reported with broken displays in this thread as of June 19th. I was killing time on a plane today and went through this thread to do the count. Here are some things I picked up from the comments:

• The "mystery cracks" all occurred while the phone was in motion (EG: shirt pocket) with lots of comments about "it was fine when I put it in my pocket and broken when I took it out."

• There are more than a dozen posts from people who keep their phone in their pocket (shirt and pants) and various reports of drops and flexing incidents where nothing happened to their phone.

• Only a couple of people reported that GG3 cracked along with the AMOLED panel and that was in "drop" scenarios. The rest all reported just the AMOLED panel broke.
    If there are 5,000 owners in the i9500/i9505 forum, 32 cracked displays equals a 5/10ths of a percent damage rate. 250 cracked displays would be 5%. I think this really is a mountain being made out of a molehill. And I didn't see any posts that said "I put my phone down on a table and it was fine and when I picked it up it was broken." So I question whether phones being carried loosely in pockets may have been exposed to stress or flex that their owners didn't realize. That, or they were previously stressed or flexed and just light jostling from being in a pocket was all it took to do them in. In that vein, it could also have been a manufacturing defect that caused light stress or flex to crack the AMOLED. Regardless, while it sucks for the 5/10ths of a percent affected, it seems a bit premature to declare the SGS4 universally "weak" which is the trend this thread's taken.