Omni Rom For MTK Devices

Should Omni rom be released for MTK phones?

• Yes

Votes: 524 98.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 1.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

wingoku

May 19, 2013
Many rom projects like Cyanogen mod, Paranoid droid rom and many others were released only for renowned company phones like Galaxy Series, Nexus series etc etc, where as millions & billions of MTK soc phones that contribute alot to the daily millions of Android activations are left out. Many MTK phones developers started request threads for cyanogen mod and other rom communities to build/release a rom for MTK phones but those request were neglected till date.

Now with the start of new rom project "Omni", MTK phone devs are hoping that this rom will also be compiled & released for MTK phones. We want Omni pioneers to release this rom for millions & billions of MTK phones.

We are willing to help you guys making Omni rom project better & grow.

Regards

Last edited:

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
This will happen. When you're able to watch the presentation video (which will be up in the next few days) you'll notice that @XpLoDWilD shows Omni running on the Oppo R819, a quad-core MTK device.

There are a lot of things in the way. Also, any MTK devices that ship without kernel sources (there are a lot of them) are still out of luck.

The R819 is a game changer here - Oppo really wants it to receive community firmware support and has been EXTREMELY cooperative with us in terms of getting us documentation.

C-o-M

Oct 20, 2010
The R819 is a game changer here - Oppo really wants it to receive community firmware support and has been EXTREMELY cooperative with us in terms of getting us documentation.

So they are giving you access to the MTK framework sources? Or do you have to reimplement the dual sim support (I have never seen any open source ROM with dual sim support)? I'd really love to help a bit, having some MTK6577 phones lying around here.

srinath2912

Jan 12, 2012
Tirupati, A.P
I too have two MTK phones .....they are a powerful if it got development projects like this ...it will be the no.1 vendor in chip set marketing and ...I support for OMNI PROJECT

Sent from my Fly IQ451 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
So they are giving you access to the MTK framework sources? Or do you have to reimplement the dual sim support (I have never seen any open source ROM with dual sim support)? I'd really love to help a bit, having some MTK6577 phones lying around here.

I'm not sure about the state of dsim support. We do have access to quite a bit, however some items even the OEM we're working with doesn't have access to source for, and it's also a nasty licensing minefield.

There's much better potential than there has been previously, however there are still some nasty technical and legal challenges. For example, MTK's 4.2 firmware appears to be using all sorts of hwcomposer backcompat hacks to use what is effectively a 4.0 (ICS) HWC.

XperianPro

Nov 19, 2010
Mars
I'm not sure about the state of dsim support. We do have access to quite a bit, however some items even the OEM we're working with doesn't have access to source for, and it's also a nasty licensing minefield.

There's much better potential than there has been previously, however there are still some nasty technical and legal challenges. For example, MTK's 4.2 firmware appears to be using all sorts of hwcomposer backcompat hacks to use what is effectively a 4.0 (ICS) HWC.

With this I assume device will not receive 4.4 barely 4.3 but can I ask how is to work with OEM?

Sent from my Xperia U using xda app-developers app

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
With this I assume device will not receive 4.4 barely 4.3 but can I ask how is to work with OEM?

Sent from my Xperia U using xda app-developers app

Nobody can predict what happens in the future.

In terms of working with OEMs, not sure what your question is, but one thing we do bring to the table with Omni is considerable experience in working with OEMs. And that should be rather beneficial for everyone :)

darkguy2008

Apr 30, 2011
Heredia
There are sources for various MTK devices (MT6577/MT6575) that can be used already. I assume it would be no problem for the omni team to integrate them into their builds.

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
There are sources for various MTK devices (MT6577/MT6575) that can be used already. I assume it would be no problem for the omni team to integrate them into their builds.

We have more recent ones that are being used to bring up MTK devices.

At the BBQ, Xplod demonstrated an Oppo r819 running Omni, which is an MT6589

Reactions: Forever Alone

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
I wish you guys the best of luck, but conserning MTK and their closed sources policy, i really don't believe those sources (and im talking about the framework /RIL) will be Open Source.
If we are lucky enought we may get some working builds for some of the phones (if an brand gives you support), but concerning the MTK licenses, well its an MINE FIELD.

An good example is the on-going Cyanogen project by FAEA for the F2S (MT6589), they got the green light from MTK, BUT the project will remain Closed Source, so no one will get those sources...

B.Regards

Randl

Dec 30, 2012
An good example is the on-going Cyanogen project by FAEA for the F2S (MT6589), they got the green light from MTK, BUT the project will remain Closed Source, so no one will get those sources...

AFAIK, you are wrong:
Well I know of one dev. who is develloping CM port voor MTK658x devices (usinf Faea mobile). For now he has to operate under a NDA agreement, but once finished his source will be come available.

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
So with this you mean that those sources work for MT6577 devices?

Unknown. And as I've said, it's a licensing nightmare.

It may be that certain components will have to be developed in a "some people have the source but can only release blobs" - I would prefer to avoid this if at all possible. The issue is if any of those "files with nasty license" are in things that can't be cleanly separated, it will present a MAJOR issue.

Reactions: Forever Alone

darkguy2008

Apr 30, 2011
Heredia
Unknown. And as I've said, it's a licensing nightmare.

It may be that certain components will have to be developed in a "some people have the source but can only release blobs" - I would prefer to avoid this if at all possible. The issue is if any of those "files with nasty license" are in things that can't be cleanly separated, it will present a MAJOR issue.
Well I assume something like the HTC Magic or the Defy can be done. They don't have the sources for the hardware GPU but they managed to enable hardware compositing after some work somehow. I don't think that MTK will oppose to the project using the libs and such instead of having full access to the code, usually that feels less restrictive for both the company and the devs, imho.

I may be talking rubbish though, I'd just like the MT6577 devices to get some lovin', because we've been fighting for quite some time against ZTE for them to release the kernel sources so we can develop ROMs for the V970M and more =/

XperianPro

Nov 19, 2010
Mars
Well I assume something like the HTC Magic or the Defy can be done. They don't have the sources for the hardware GPU but they managed to enable hardware compositing after some work somehow. I don't think that MTK will oppose to the project using the libs and such instead of having full access to the code, usually that feels less restrictive for both the company and the devs, imho.

I may be talking rubbish though, I'd just like the MT6577 devices to get some lovin', because we've been fighting for quite some time against ZTE for them to release the kernel sources so we can develop ROMs for the V970M and more =/

ZTE,I dont know much about this company but its worse than Sony I think...
Why not release kernel sources,what are developers doing at their company...

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
ZTE,I dont know much about this company but its worse than Sony I think...
Why not release kernel sources,what are developers doing at their company...

Pretty much most Chinese companies are like this. Oppo is VERY non-typical of a Chinese company, which is why they have a FAR better chance of global success than any other Chinese mobile OEM right now.

ccav2000

Dec 19, 2010
Manga Cafe
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Pretty much most Chinese companies are like this. Oppo is VERY non-typical of a Chinese company, which is why they have a FAR better chance of global success than any other Chinese mobile OEM right now.

How very true. I have high hopes for this project as my current device is an OPPO R819. I chose OPPO because exactly they try to be open with the developers, having the experience of Motorola and their locked bootloaders the past years while the Motorola DEFY was my main device. It took a long time for the DEFY to get its first custom kernel and it only happened thanks to some very persistent people. It shouldn't be like this, so as long I have a choice I'll opt for unlocked (and cheap...) devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many rom projects like Cyanogen mod, Paranoid droid rom and many others were released only for renowned company phones like Galaxy Series, Nexus series etc etc, where as millions & billions of MTK soc phones that contribute alot to the daily millions of Android activations are left out. Many MTK phones developers started request threads for cyanogen mod and other rom communities to build/release a rom for MTK phones but those request were neglected till date.

Now with the start of new rom project "Omni", MTK phone devs are hoping that this rom will also be compiled & released for MTK phones. We want Omni pioneers to release this rom for millions & billions of MTK phones.

We are willing to help you guys making Omni rom project better & grow.

Regards
    This will happen. When you're able to watch the presentation video (which will be up in the next few days) you'll notice that @XpLoDWilD shows Omni running on the Oppo R819, a quad-core MTK device.
    Not large enough to be the full source. I too have an A1000 now. I think most of the MediaTek savvy devs are looking at just building any ROM, not the grand plan of Kitkat quite yet. But there is hope in the air -- and leaked sources.

I will hack the stock A1000 ROM shortly... I've only had it for 1 day. ;)

So far, complete platform sources are known to exist for Oppo R819 (we have access to them but they are not public), and I think there's leaked source for an 8577 device.

Those R819 sources have a bunch of hardcoded stuff so they'll only build on something like Ubuntu 10.10 with a bunch of tools installed in hardcoded paths... xplodwild, rayman and a few others have been working on getting things integrated with omni, and so far:

1) On 4.3, the device boots only if you completely remove hwcomposer. Many things still didn't work - pretty much it booted and not much else
    2) On 4.4, I believe the GPU drivers are still crashing on boot

There are a lot of things in the way. Also, any MTK devices that ship without kernel sources (there are a lot of them) are still out of luck.

Yo tengo un M4 ss4040 con MTK6582, seria perfecto ver una rom de Omni Rom para este dispositivo, ya que trae Android 4.2.2 y no tiene actualización.

ee81f50e-11f7-4327-9062-f057a256b93b.png