Internal GPS problem HTC P6500

Search This thread

Xman556

Apr 23, 2008
Hi all,

I recently purchased a P6500 and I installed Igo 8.When I enter the gps config menu it says that gps could not be found;if i hit the auto search button the device freezes.
I installed Port splitter 1.11 and I managed to gain something...the device doesn't freeze anymore but it still can not find the gps.I have no idea how to set up the com ports....the program port..the hardware port..I am confused...
(I also inst. Igo 2006 and works ok.)

I appreciate any help!!

carrot34

May 22, 2007
Hi all,

I recently purchased a P6500 and I installed Igo 8.When I enter the gps config menu it says that gps could not be found;if i hit the auto search button the device freezes.
I installed Port splitter 1.11 and I managed to gain something...the device doesn't freeze anymore but it still can not find the gps.I have no idea how to set up the com ports....the program port..the hardware port..I am confused...
(I also inst. Igo 2006 and works ok.)

I appreciate any help!!

Hi, Xman -- I don't know this software and so probably can't really offer anything helpful. For what it's worth, the GPS seems to work fine on my P6500: both with Google Maps and with GPS-enabled photos on the HTC Camera app. Does your GPS work with those programs?

Sorry about your troubles!

Alan

Xman556

Apr 23, 2008
I didn't try with Google maps because I'm interested in making Igo work :).
At list tell me an app which can show me some info about the internal gps such as speed /the com port on which it's installed etc..

Thanks

sammis

Mar 24, 2006
I have also noticed the same problem running both IGO-2006 and I-GO 2008 on my 6500,on the other hand i have had no trouble whatsoever running Destinator 7 and Garmin ,i guess it's got something to do with the software and not the PPC itself which i must say has a very good GPS receiver.
Edit
Thanks for the GPS-gate idea.

Xman556

Apr 23, 2008
Well I think I rejoiced too early.Today I took a longer trip and wanted to check how my new solution works......after catching speed the gps started disconnecting an reconnecting until I had to turn it off for good.So almost back to square one.....anybody who can help?

Xman556

Apr 23, 2008
Hey Xman556,

I've having the same problem with my HTC 6500.

Could you please be kind to tell me how to set up the gps gate so it well work ok with the iGo8.

Thank you

Gigino

At input I selected WM GPS and after you hit open.
At output I have Gpsgate direct/virtual com2(all NMEA)/COM2/COM4

But as I said in my previous post...is not quite working.
Also you might check the franson's web site ..thy seem to have a nice support forum...if you find anything please share.

Xman556

Apr 23, 2008
Hey Xman556,

I've having the same problem with my HTC 6500.

Could you please be kind to tell me how to set up the gps gate so it well work ok with the iGo8.

Thank you

Gigino

You mean that you have also problems with the Igo8?If yes do you have the original Igo or the cracked one?

gigino

Nov 6, 2003
London
You mean that you have also problems with the Igo8?If yes do you have the original Igo or the cracked one?

Hey Xman556,

it is a crack one at the moment untill I can get it to work properly then I'll buy it if not I'll just leave it.

The way I can get it to work is like this I start the iGo8 then I go to settings TMC and dp a search if return as no hardware fined then I go to GPS and put in the com port 4 and the speed 57800 and it work but if I do a soft rest the iGo8 well not work anymore until I change the GPS port in the PDA to a diffrent port like port 8 then the Igo8 well star and I have to do everything I did before go to TMC and so on if I try to go straight to the GPS without going to the TMC the system hang and I have to do a soft rest this is the way I got it working I'm using the version 4.1.506 if the Igo I tried the earlier version and it is the same problem I need a solution better than this.

Thank You

Gigino

Xman556

Apr 23, 2008
As far as I see the problem is that the cracked Igo is not able to start the internal gps.
Here my new solution..this time is really working !!!
GPS TEST from chartcross...i start this program .it starts the gps then menu/minimize and after i start the igo.
Tell me if it works for u.

gigino

Nov 6, 2003
London
As far as I see the problem is that the cracked Igo is not able to start the internal gps.
Here my new solution..this time is really working !!!
GPS TEST from chartcross...i start this program .it starts the gps then menu/minimize and after i start the igo.
Tell me if it works for u.

Hey Xman556,

thank you for you suggestion it does work now it is much more easier after a soft rest.

Thank You

Gigino

quattr

Oct 9, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
I had this problem with I-go at first. When first installed selecting the gps port and or baud rate would lock the phone. Also if you did an auto detect it would also lock the phone. Solution, have gpsdash or google navigator running with the gps enabled (or anything else that works with the internal gps it seems). Without stopping the app start I-go and it will find and use the gps quite nicely.

Once it has done this the first time I never had to run anything else before I-go even after a reset. Tried this several times by fully reseting the 6500 and worked every time.

Rainersen

Aug 1, 2008
similar GPS problems with HTC P6500 and iGo

Hi all,

I'm writing from Germany and have similar problems with iGo 2006+ and iGo 8.
(I purchased iGo 8 just yesterday)

My (German) settings:
Settings --> System --> External GPS -->
Tab Program?:
COM4 for internal GPS, no external GPS via Bluetooth (see Attachment)
Tab Access?:
manage GPS automaticly: ON

What are your GPS settings?

- - -

What I have discovered:

- 1st starting iGo 2006+ and iGo8: both applications hang during 'starting'
- With Igo 2006+ I tried: 1st starting the app 'GPS Tuner', then starting iGo
--> It starts and iGo finds GPS on Com4 with maximum baud
(now I don' t have any longer 'GPS Tuner')
- With iGo8 I tried starting the freeware 'VisualGPSce' 1st (until GPS fix), then starting iGo8 --> It starts, I could set COM4, maximum baud...
--> so I think, is is an internal iGo/GPS-problem :confused:
- Today I could drive about 10 km with Igo8, then it crashes without any msg

You can see, I have similar probs, did u solve the probs meanwhile?

---

Rainer from Germany

Attachments

• pc_capture44.jpg
    pc_capture44.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 52
  • pc_capture45.jpg
    pc_capture45.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 59
  • pc_capture46.jpg
    pc_capture46.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 56
  • pc_capture47.jpg
    pc_capture47.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 51

Guenni

Mar 18, 2007
cracked igo works fine on Sedna. from SD or InternalFlash.
I´m using GPSGATE.
Start GPSGATE, best automatically after reboot.
this will start the internal GPS.
Now you have 2 possibilities.
1. use the output port of GPSGATE, maybe Virtual Com1. You can select it in the options from GPSGATE
or
2. use Com4 from internal GPS. once startet from GPSGATE, it works.

you have to edit your sys.txt in folder programs....igo8
[gps]
port="1" or "4"
baud="38400"

it works definitly

Guenni

Xman556

Apr 23, 2008
Latest news

After trying all kinds of programs(GPS port spliter,gps gate and gps test) I found that the solution with gpstest is the best.So I decided to perform a hard reset in order to install on my device only the useful software. But after the hard reset the gps would not start no matter what programs I installed. So I sent the device to HTC and they replaced the mainboard.
Now the IGO8 works perfect(together with GPSTEST-pls see my earlier posts).

freexdalogin

May 23, 2008
GPS Text script

I too found GPSTest.exe useful because its really small.
Strange that iGo hangs when trying to communicate over the port *unless* you start another program and open up the GPS unit's port.
Sounds a lot like PPC/iGo GPS management issue.

Be that as it may, I created a script with MortScript, and then put this shortcut under my programs in "\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" on my PPC (I'm running WM 6.1 if you care).

The following script opens GPSTest.exe, launches iGo, then closes GPSText.exe after iGo shuts down;
iGoLaunch.mscr:
Code:
#OPEN GpsText.exe minimized

Run ("\Storage Card\Program Files\Chartcross\GPSTest\Bin\GPSTest.exe")
WaitForActive ("GPS Test", 5000)
Minimize ("GPS Test")

#Run (and wait until iGo closes)
RunWait ("\Program Files\iGO8\iGO8.exe")

#Close GpsText.exe
Kill ("\Storage Card\Program Files\Chartcross\GPSTest\Bin\GPSTest.exe")

After creating iGoLaunch.mscr, put this link (use notepad) into "\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"
iGo 8 GPS.lnk:
Code:
1#"\Storage Card\iGo8\iGoLaunch.mscr"?\Program Files\iGO8\iGO8.exe, -101

Please note: If you decide to use this script and shortcut, I highly suggest you check the paths/filenames for accuracy.

carrot34

May 22, 2007
GPS and WM 6.1 upgrade

Hey guys -- this may well not be relevant to the issues you're dealing with -- I don't use iGo -- but there is a HUGE improvement in GPS reception with the Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrade. My Sedna used to have a very difficult time getting GPS reception: it often could not find a signal despite repeated attempts. But since the upgrade, it's been locking on quickly and consistently.

Thought I'd pass this on in case it's helpful.

Alan

Guenni

Mar 18, 2007
very simple script

once the GPS is initialized for the first time it will work

I've wrote a script for MortScript. The only code is:

WriteFile( "COM4:",x )

This script only sends something (here x) to COM4.

Then COM4 is used for the first time and will keep on working.

I start this script in autostart.

That's all.

Please regard uppercase and colons when writing "COM4:"

Bye
Guenni

magna cum laude

Feb 20, 2009
Solution for port splitter

You can use port splitter for your gps. here is the process i went through with my HTC (jade). first i used gps gate and figured out that the internal gps is using com4. since gpsgate is not free and had to stop using it I tried port splitter

simply install port splitter on your pda
under INPUT-> PORT: com4 and Baud: 4800 (you might have to type COM4 yourself)
under OUTPUT-> select com1 on the drop down menu and press ADD
then press Start Splitter

and it should work

if not install gpsgate and figure out what port it is using and than use port splitter.

This should save you some money

Greetings

Macula