Nexus 7 Help Thread

Search This thread

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
I'm in the USA and have not received it either. Could someone who has received it tell me what to expect?

I have a rooted nexus 7 (2012) running stock 4.2.2. How will the 4.3 update come?

Do I need to "un root" before upgrading?

Do I need to do anything to protect my settings or anything else?

This is scary for newbies.......

Thanks.

Jul 30, 2011
I'm in the USA and have not received it either. Could someone who has received it tell me what to expect?

I have a rooted nexus 7 (2012) running stock 4.2.2. How will the 4.3 update come?

Thanks.

You can't be that much of a newbie having rooted. :cowboy: If you could root it, then you should be able to update from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2376881 :cool:

No need to unroot, you can wipe cache/dalvik cache but not data and keep your settings and such. Worked well for me.

Not sure how/if the update comes for rooted devices, my xperia phone can not be updated via sony with modified software in it.

Last edited:

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
The just a courageous newbie. I used the WUG tool and it took several tries before it worked. Left me scared....
Thanks for the link.

poondog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2011
Melbourne

Thanks.

I was running a custom rom, kernel, recovery. I downloaded the google image from the official page
Put it all in my fastboot folder
click on the install all batch file
and it did it all automagically. Including the stock recovery and bootloader flash but I just flashed TWRP afterwards :)\

All is good so far on 4.3, although not much visually has changed

R.A.D DROID

May 6, 2013
one little question I seem to be missing the 'picasa uploader' system app and I dont know why- checked on my brothers n7 and he seems to have it :confused: , do you think 4.3 will be able to install on my nexus 7 when I get the notification that my nexus 7 can be updated? (I can't be asked to install it via adb sideload) Thanks (and I dont really mind not having the app because I dont use facebook or G+)

gebusb

Jul 27, 2013
Stuck in APX

I should probably start off by saying that 90% of everything said in these forums is a foreign language to me. However, I was hoping someone out there would know how to help me get my N7 up and running again. I cracked the screen and replaced it, all was running flawlessly for about 5 minutes. I put it down came back half hour later and wouldn't do anything. It was fully charged when I replaced the screen so that can't be it. It has also charged overnight twice since. I haven't changed anything on it, no flashing or booting things. I tried every combo of the power and volume buttons that I can think of. The only response is on my computer it shows up as APX and will not download any driver. I don't care about any of my info, files, music, apps etc. I just want to get it back on and running again.

I downloaded Nexus 7 Toolkit but I have no idea where to begin on that or if it would even help.

Is my Nexus a goner?

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
I'm no expert but sometimes what you have to do is press the power button continuously (without letting go) until something (the Google X) appears on the screen.

SumNoob

Feb 18, 2013
Lafayette
RMA?

I was in the middle of flashing the 4.3 update through adb and my computer froze. After I had erased everything (boot loader, recovery image, user data, all the caches. Everything!) So now my tablet won't even turn on, and it is obviously not recognized by my computer. Is there any way to fix it or do I have to RMA? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Has anyone had chrome browser issues since 4.3? I'm noticing everytime I try to zoom the page or whatever, it'll relaid the whole entire page like 3 times. This is not happening on my other devices. Not sure if its a 4.3 bug or chrome browser hasn't been updated for full 4.3 support. It gets annoying by the constant reloading. Haven't tried out other browsers to see if the same occurs.

edit: doesn't happen with Firefox browser

Last edited:

pr126

Sep 21, 2012
help please

I have tried to flash stock / unroot my Nexus 7 with wugfresh toolkit 1.6.5 and after flashing it is stuck, with "booting failed" can't proceed.

Repeated the process several times, in bootloop / softbricked mode and it puts the boot loader on again, but fails.

Error message: archive doesn't contain boot.sig, recovery.sig, system.sig. Failed.

I think it is bricked.

Any help will be appreciated.

#define

May 1, 2012
I have tried to flash stock / unroot my Nexus 7 with wugfresh toolkit 1.6.5 and after flashing it is stuck, with "booting failed" can't proceed.

Repeated the process several times, in bootloop / softbricked mode and it puts the boot loader on again, but fails.

Error message: archive doesn't contain boot.sig, recovery.sig, system.sig. Failed.

I think it is bricked.

Any help will be appreciated.

Try doing it manually.. Download the stock image from the google website, and flash it using
Code:
fastboot flash ..
from the bootloader..That, if done correctly, will work.. If you need fastboot and adb binaries, here's the links..
Windows
Linux

Reactions: sgt. meow

pr126

Sep 21, 2012
addad more info
Try doing it manually.. Download the stock image from the google website, and flash it using
Code:
fastboot flash ..
from the bootloader..That, if done correctly, will work.. If you need fastboot and adb binaries, here's the links..
Windows
Linux

Thanks for the reply, but adb cannot detect the device, because it cannot boot.
The other problem is that I am not very knowledgeable in this.
It is fine if I am using the wugfresh tool, where everything is automated. (when it works).

Here are some more details:

Using Wugfresh Toolkit I booted into temporary Custom Recovery.

This loaded TWRP where I have done a data wipe to get back the memory which was 0 bytes before.

Tried to flash the 4.3 OS zip in TWRP with OTG, which has failed.

The Flash Stock + Unroot (selecting soft bricked / bootloop) will start the process, but fails to put the OS onto the device.

back to square one.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Bruce Lee

Jan 20, 2011
Ohio
plus.google.com
I cleared my google services framework and then did the update check and I got the ota. I then had to delete just my Google account to get app downloading working again. But my nexus 7 is running 4.3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375183943740.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375183943740.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 95

poondog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2011
Melbourne
I cleared my google services framework and then did the update check and I got the ota. I then had to delete just my Google account to get app downloading working again. But my nexus 7 is running 4.3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

You did the ota? What's it show in about tablet and trickster?
This is mine from the official Google image

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375190122040.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375190122040.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 86
  • uploadfromtaptalk1375190153752.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375190153752.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 86

out2l8

Jun 3, 2010
Atlanta
Navigation gone after 4.3!!

Rec'd the 4.3 update last night. (Nex 7 2012 model). Installed with no problems.

Went on a trip today and the navigation was GONE!!

Maps still works but navigation ain't happening!

Don't even see the nav app in the apps drawer!

This worked flawlessly before the update!

I ended up getting kinda lost and had to make a bunch of idiotic U turns! ARGH!@(8!!!!

Anyone else had this prob?? And / or does anyone know of a fix??

Thanks in advance!

downwiththebanksters

May 28, 2011
Taiwan
Warning

I clicked the update (stupid I know) and because I was stock 4.2.2, but rooted, got bootloop. I had to use fastboot to update to the stock 4.3, now hunting for root instructions. I post this so folks running anything non-stock don't blindly accept the OTA update or headaches will ensue.

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
I too have a rooted nexus 7 running stock 4.2.2 and am scared to update to 4.3 precisely because I suspect I will end up where you are. Not being an android expert I would be up the creek without a paddle.

Here's something I found in my research that might help you:
http://wccftech.com/how-to-root-nexus-7-android-4-3-jwr66v-jb-and-install-cwm/

I wish someone who knows would explain what *specific* backups one needs to do before the upgrade to have some way to restore things (system, apps and data) to where the tablet was in case of problems with the update.

Thanks

walpow

Nov 28, 2012
Rec'd the 4.3 update last night. (Nex 7 2012 model). Installed with no problems.
Went on a trip today and the navigation was GONE!!
Maps still works but navigation ain't happening!
Don't even see the nav app in the apps drawer!
This worked flawlessly before the update!
I ended up getting kinda lost and had to make a bunch of idiotic U turns! ARGH!@(8!!!!
Anyone else had this prob?? And / or does anyone know of a fix??
Thanks in advance!

The new version of Google Maps (which I'm guessing came with the update) doesn't have a separate navigation icon. You have to go into Maps and start navigation - there's an icon in there that sort of looks like a Y. This is one of many things about the new Maps (I believe 7.0.2 is the latest) that is causing much outrage all over the Interwebs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]ASUS GOOGLE NEXUS 7 – GROUPER & TILAPIA (WiFi & 3G)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: Do I need a toolkit to root this bad boy?....?[/SIZE]
    Its a Nexus, imo if you need a toolkit you're either not experienced enough for rooting or too lazy Toolkits are out there and they are really straight forward, but you should get to know how to use fastboot/adb in case you need it. If you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't be mucking around with your $200+ toy in case you screw something up and don't know how to use ADB or fastboot to restore it​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: I'm thinking of getting this device/I'm new to this device. What are the main problems i should look out for? [/SIZE]
    Look through the following threads - Nexus 7 defects? - List of known faults.​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: Which ROM/kernel/recovery etc. would be the best choice for me? [/SIZE]
    No-one can answer this for you. We all have our favorites, so just test different ones out and see which you prefer.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: When I flash my first custom ROM, how come I get stuck in a bootloop? [/SIZE]
    While it's recommended that you always do a full wipe before installing, you HAVE to do a full wipe before installing your first ROM. If you don't, you N7 will not boot up.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: I flashed a new kernel and when I change frequencies, it reverts to stock settings 1.3GHz after a while. WHY??? [/SIZE]
    You need a patched PowerHAL. On a very basic level, after a while the stock google PowerHAL likes to revert a lot of settings to stock. This includes the CPU clock speeds, etc. I got my PowerHAL from here
    http://imoseyon.host4droid.com/grouper/beta/
    And I flashed the nofreq one. It will NOT change your frequency, ever. After you flash the PowerHAL, use your favourite app (I like tricksterMOD, but support your devs by buying their apps) to set your kernel settings, and set them on boot. This is the easiest way to get settings to stick.
    OR
    You could use an init.d script to set a maximum clock speed. This way, you will need a kernel/ROM that supports boot.img.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35493253&postcount=1366
    This is a lot more difficult but it works :)

[SIZE=+1]Q6: How much overclocking is too much? Am I damaging my device? [/SIZE]
    No chips are created equally. Some can take more OC than others. It is fact that too much OC can shorten the life of your CPU. A general rule I have seen used a lot is to not go around 20-30% over the stock speed. That is around 1.5GHz which most kernels get up to. However, a lot of devices can take more and will go higher. See for yourself, just don't be stupid :p

[SIZE=+1]Q7: What is the difference between x and y kernel governors/schedulers? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q8: I tried to boot my device into recovery from the bootloader and now it is stuck on the google screen. Is it bricked? [/SIZE]
    No. Probably not. Chances are you're on an old bootloader, which has a bug that doesn't allow you to get into recovery from the BL without being connected to a computer. So, connect it to your computer, hold vol down/power for 10 secs to go back to the bootloader. You can go to the recovery from there.​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: On my HTC (whatever) I could transfer files onto my sdcard while in recovery. How do I do it on the N7? [/SIZE]
    You can't drag/drop in recovery between your N7 and a PC. Either boot into android and transfer your files, or use ADB while in recovery.
    "adb push nameoffile /data/media" or wherever your things are (beware of how many 0's there are on your sdcard).​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: My files on my "sdcard" appear under /data/media/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0. WHY so many 0's?? [/SIZE]
    Ask Google. It’s got to do with the multiuser feature brought to android in 4.2. Ever user has their own folder, so you might have /0 and /1. If you're having troubles with it in recovery, I would update to the latest TWRP.​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: I’m trying to update my stock rooted modded N7 to 4.2 from 4.1.2 but it won't work. Help? [/SIZE]
    You need to be running completely stock to update. So, you need to either flash a stock ROM or the stock image.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: When I finish watching a video the screen goes weird. Its like, washed out or something. Is my device bricked? Is my screen bricked? [/SIZE]
    No. Its the tegra smartdimmer. When your device is playing a video, the Tegra 3 automatically bumps up the contrast and dims the backlight, to save battery. This is a feature. To turn it off, either use a script or tricksterMOD (which is much easier).​

[SIZE=+1]Q13: Battery life on this kernel/ROM sux. I've been using it for half an hour and its dropped 30% already. Why? Restoring to my old kernel..[/SIZE]
    When you flash a new ROM/kernel, you need to give it a few battery cycles before battery is reported accurately. So, flash the new kernel, drain it (not necessarily to 0%), charge it fully, drain it again, charge, then play around. Do not complain about battery or anything without doing a few cycles first.​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: I am about to flash another ROM. Do I have to full wipe or can I flash it on top? (Dirty flash).[/SIZE]
    Usually you can probably dirty flash. But if it causes problems, don't report them. Best thing to do is to reflash the ROM with a full wipe and see if bugs persist. I always wipe when changing to a different ROM, but when updating a ROM i don't wipe usually.​

[SIZE=+1]Q15: Should I unlock the bootloader when I get the tablet if I am going to root it anyway?.[/SIZE]
    I would say no. Because, if there is a problem you have sort of voided your warranty. I like to keep my devices for a month without rooting/unlocking them in case there is a fault or something. You should do the same, I’d hate to have a brand new device, root it and then find a fault and have voided your warranty. Companies can be sneaky and can probably try to avoid fixing your device under warranty if you tamper with it. However you could always relock and revert to stock, but it is much easier to be patient and make sure there are no problems ​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: Will rooting my tablet make it faster/awesomer and have improve battery life?[/SIZE]
    Short answer: no.
    Long answer: nope.

Rooting alone will not change anything relateds to battery or performance. However custom ROMs, kernels and other mods will change things. For example flashing a more optimised kernel might improve performance, especially if you overclock it. Similarly, underclocking generally improves battery life. Of course it depends on what crap you have on your device too, but that's the general idea. Usually in the OP of a ROM/kernel thread, and in the comments you can get a good idea on whether it is optimized for battery, performance or a combination.​

[SIZE=+1]Q17: What’s difference between N7 “Grouper – Nakasi” and N7 3G “Tilapia – Nakasig”?.[/SIZE]
    Wi-Fi (all models) = Nakasi - Grouper
    3G/Wi-Fi = Nakasig - Tilapia

The Nakasi/Nakasig is the image (operating system)
    and
    the Grouper/Tilapia is the hardware build.
    Because one of the files for the phone call apk is named "tilapia"
    assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "tilapia"
    getprop("ro.build.product") == "tilapia".​

[SIZE=+1]Q18: Can I use same recovery for N7 “Grouper” and N7 3G “Tilapia”? [/SIZE]
    Yes, but it is preferable to use a special recovery for the tilapia. You will find 3 special recoveries for Tilapia.​

[SIZE=+1]Q19: What's the difference between "Development" and "Original Development"?[/SIZE]
    Here are the rough guidelines as to what should be placed in "Original Development":
    *Official release of highly original and upstream custom ROMs (built from the ground up with significant original development within them).
    *Official releases/development of such original ROMs, perhaps posted by the maintainer or their nominated person.
    *A significant "first" in development for a device. This is something which took considerable time/effort and is generally accepted by developers to be non-trivial.
    *Kernels which are built with beneficial changes that are not simply pulled from other kernels already available.
    *Tools and utilities with a clear purpose, and which are well-made, and useful to users. They should have an element of originality, either in purpose or through significant improvement in the means of operation.
    *Significant port of a ROM from one device to another, giving enhanced features or functionality to the users of the target device.

All other development work goes into "Android Development".​

[INDEX]All In One Nexus 7 Index Thread (WiFi)
    [Index]All for NEXUS 7 - "Nakasig/Tilapia" - (3G/GSM/HSPA+)
    [GUIDE][BOOTLOADER][4.2.2] TILAPIA JDQ39 - 4.18 Flash Image Instructions (FOR 3G VERSION)

*Use the thanks button if someone helps you or answers your question*
    *Read the sticked threads*
    *Google probably knows the answer to your question*

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
    A special thanks to those who contributed to the production of this FAQ, especially kinfauns, kidcarter93, philos64, ronnie498, fellow RC's, me ;)
    Welcome to the Nexus 7 Help Thread

This thread is here to help our community out as best as it can.
    Why is this thread here?
    There's 2 main reasons really. The first reason is to stop the development threads getting filled with questions which have nothing to do with the thread they're posted in. That then makes the thread go off-topic which is not what a development thread is there for.
    The second reason is because there are too many repetitive questions being asked. The main problem with that is the fact that other users will sometimes attack the OP and 'flaming' them.

The main way which this thread will help to stop that happening is by helping you out as much as possible, while being in a friendly environment.

Below you will find the Thread Rules which I expect you all to follow and not to break them.

Thread Rules

1. Remember that while posting in this thread and across the whole site, you must not break the Forum Rules.
    2. Even though this thread is for everyone to use, there'll be a lot if new members in here so no flaming or insulting anyone else.
    3. As this is a help thread, remember that there is no such thing as a stupid question.
    4. Even if you get your question answered by reading the 2nd it 3rd post, be sure to come back here and read some more. It will help you to learn even more.

Hall Of Fame

As I'll be keeping an eye on this thread quite a lot, I'll be adding the people to this list who have been the most helpful and are contributing the most.

1.markj338

Nexus 7 Moderators

If you report any posts, the report will go to our SM (Senior Moderator) and FSMs (Forum Specific Moderators). They are our SM - zelendel and our FSMs - Shreyas Jani, chrisd1a1, GODZSON, Divine_Madcat, babijoee and Moscow Desire. If you have any questions about this forum in particular then feel free to drop them a PM.

In post 2 there will be some really useful links so be sure to check them out.
    In post 3 there'll be an FAQ which will help you out aswell :)
    Useful Information & Links To Help You

XDA In General

First of all, I'm linking to some general XDA threads which can help you become more familiar with this site and how things run. I feel this is one thing which new users don't realize because they think it's okay to come to this site and post anywhere.
    If you don't feel this applies to you, please move onto the Nexus 7 links further down this post.

XDA New User Guide - I can't stress enough how important that thread is. If you follow what that guide says, you'll be well on your way to becoming an asset to the XDA forums.

[HOW TO] Make A Substantial Thread, Post, Question & Poll - This is also a must read thread. Why, you ask? Well it's simple. Reading this will show you the best way to post your thread to ensure that people will respond and be able to help you. Rather than just giving no information or a thread title called "Mah phone brikked. Hlp me plzzz!", following that thread will give you the best chance of being helped.

[HOW TO] Make A Good Signature - This really is needed because as you'll see in a lot of signatures, mine included, is that we list our current devices and what ROM/kernel we are using. This helps people to help us. Take a look at the thread to find out what else to include in your signature.

Nexus 7 Helpful Links

I'll have these threads numbered so if you ask a question and it can be answered by looking at the first thread here, I'll say "Go to post 2 > nexus 7 > thread 1"

1. READ THIS FIRST - Nexus 7 General Section

2. [GUIDE] Flashing a factory image with fastboot/ returning to stock

3. N7 kernel test results (Performance & Battery tests)

4. Nexus 7 All-In-One Development Index

5. [Index]- 28 Jan 2013 - All for NEXUS 7 - "Nakasig/Tilapia" - (GSM/HSPA+)

6. NEXUS 7 3G-"nakasig"-For all Your Jelly Bean Discussions, Problems and Solutions

More will be added at a later date :)
    Thread cleaned...

Just a friendly reminder .. if you can start a post by saying :

"I have posted this already in its own separate thread..."

You do not need to be finishing said post.. ;)
    Since this thread is for newbie I want to ask , can i use franco kernel on N7 3G 32GB?

There is a difference in being new and being spoon fed. You will find your answer in the Franco kernel thread.

Cheers Danny