Android 4.2.2 OTA Update

Search This thread

wildpig1234

May 31, 2008
Just received it OTA and was able to install without flashing stock recovery or anything... I'm rooted, stock ROM, CWM Touch Recovery. Made a backup of everything and used OTA root keeper just in case. But CWM Touch Recovery handled it all. Actually really impressed as it's never been this easy lol.

CWM detected no signature but asked if I wanted to bypass. Said Yes and it installed.

Then went to reboot and it warned that it might flash stock recovery and asked if I wanted to let it flash stock recovery. Said no.

Then asked if I wanted to keep root. Said Yes.

Booted up and it was 4.2.2, root was still intact, all apps and everything were there.

Easiest OTA update I've had yet.

So my n10 just gave me the notice that update to 4.2.2 is downloaded and ready to be instaled. But I am rooted. Do I need something like cwm touch recovery to keep my root after installing the update or can I just go ahead and install the update and all my progs and root are still OK?

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Just received it OTA and was able to install without flashing stock recovery or anything... I'm rooted, stock ROM, CWM Touch Recovery. Made a backup of everything and used OTA root keeper just in case. But CWM Touch Recovery handled it all. Actually really impressed as it's never been this easy lol.

CWM detected no signature but asked if I wanted to bypass. Said Yes and it installed.

Then went to reboot and it warned that it might flash stock recovery and asked if I wanted to let it flash stock recovery. Said no.

Then asked if I wanted to keep root. Said Yes.

Booted up and it was 4.2.2, root was still intact, all apps and everything were there.

Easiest OTA update I've had yet.
Cool! Didn't think it would work with a custom recovery. I wonder if it'll work with all custom recoveries without a hitch?

DHemenway

Jan 28, 2013
Cool! Didn't think it would work with a custom recovery. I wonder if it'll work with all custom recoveries without a hitch?

It worked great with TWRP for me. I used RootKeeper to protect my rooting, then downloaded the OTA and used the sideload feature of TWRP along with the adb sideload command to perform the upgrade. After rebooting I restored the root from RootKeeper and my Nexus had been running beautifully on 4.2.2 since then.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Woohoo! So awesome.. Look at it this way.. You just got a lot of trouble shooting experience in and have a much better understanding how these things work.. The toolkits just can't replace hands on experience. :) Glad you're updated.. Now go install some games and relax. :good:

Would like to thank styckx for helping these people. Following your debugging logic and your direct hands-on approach instead of using a "kit" was informative and educational even though I didn't have the issues they experienced. Well done.

As a reminder to new users, once you have a working upgraded system, make a nandroid backup, then copy the backup off your nexus and onto your desktop computer or cloud storage.

The sdcard storage where the backups are kept on your nexus is part of the data partition. If something happens to that partition (wiped, formatted, corrupted, etc) your recovery backup will also be lost unless you have it stored somewhere else.

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
Congrats!

This is easy also..

First

[SNIP]

TWRP should load.. Now you want to touch "install".. Browse to where you placed the SuperSU zip, choose it, swipe to flash and you should be done at that point and can reboot.

Hi! I read this, and then read ahead to see a couple possible problems & thus a couple possible fixes, and decided to take the plunge! Everything worked out great - thank you for making such an accurate and simple to understand post!

Anyways, I had one or two questions (& created an account here to ask you them)...

1) You did not specify to then install SuperSU as a system app, which I see is now an integrated choice for SuperSU. My 'root' seems to be working great as is - should I change it to a system app?

2) (This is not an important question, just trivia for my brain) I see that the .zip for the TWRP install is at v 1.00, and that 'then update via store' is recommended. I did update to 1.10 via store, but I am just ~curious~ why the .zip is not the current version? Is it becuse the .zip is a further modificaton of the actual .apk file and would thus take the dev more time to code?

Thanks again!
bigmatty

Reactions: styckx

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Hi! I read this, and then read ahead to see a couple possible problems & thus a couple possible fixes, and decided to take the plunge! Everything worked out great - thank you for making such an accurate and simple to understand post!

Anyways, I had one or two questions (& created an account here to ask you them)...

1) You did not specify to then install SuperSU as a system app, which I see is now an integrated choice for SuperSU. My 'root' seems to be working great as is - should I change it to a system app?

2) (This is not an important question, just trivia for my brain) I see that the .zip for the TWRP install is at v 1.00, and that 'then update via store' is recommended. I did update to 1.10 via store, but I am just ~curious~ why the .zip is not the current version? Is it becuse the .zip is a further modificaton of the actual .apk file and would thus take the dev more time to code?

Thanks again!
bigmatty

To answer #1 - I've never installed it as a system app. I honestly wouldn't even know the advantage of doing that except it would make it not uninstallable via normal means. ie: The market..

2. The author has a thread on xda where he posts a flashable zip: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

I just linked directly to the newest version he released at the time. Since that post he updated numerous times but the links to previous versions still work. ie: He's constantly updating his product. I'm going to edit my post to avoid this little bit of confusion. It isn't a big deal but I can see maybe how it could confuse some folks..

I can't believe my little tutorial here is still chugging along helping others. :good:

P.S. I also edited in that post the TWRP install. I had directed to download 2.4.1.0 when now 2.4.2.0 is the newest version. I just edited it to direct whoever to grab the newest version instead of a specific version.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmatty

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
To answer #1 - I've never installed it as a system app. I honestly wouldn't even know the advantage of doing that except it would make it not uninstallable via normal means. ie: The market..

2. The author has a thread on xda where he posts a flashable zip: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

I just linked directly to the newest version he released at the time. Since that post he updated numerous times but the links to previous versions still work. ie: He's constantly updating his product. I'm going to edit my post to avoid this little bit of confusion. It isn't a big deal but I can see maybe how it could confuse some folks..

I can't believe my little tutorial here is still chugging along helping others. :good:

P.S. I also edited in that post the TWRP install. I had directed to download 2.4.1.0 when now 2.4.2.0 is the newest version. I just edited it to direct whoever to grab the newest version instead of a specific version.

Thank you again! Fantastic and accurate answers. I upgraded my TWRP this AM after reading your post, I swear it must have been updated only in the last couple days, LOL :)

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
Awesome... Assuming you backed up your loot. The following will wipe your tablet clean and install a fresh stock unrooted, Jellybean 4.2.2

Download the 4.2.2 factory image: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mantaray-jdq39-factory-d79f489e.tgz

Unzip that.. Inside that is a tar file you need to unzip which contains a folder named "mantaray-jdq39". For tutorial purposes I'm going to assume we unzipped it into the root of C:\

Unzip the image-mantaray-jdq39.zip that is sitting in that directory (mantaray-jdq39). It will contain 5 img files.. They should all be sitting in the same directory

Power down the device and boot into the bootloader of your device.. Unplug the usb from PC and hold BOTH Vol Up-Down and the power button until you get into the bootloader. You'll know it's the right one if you can use the volume keys to switch between start, recovery etc... Plug your Nexus into your PC now..

Open a command prompt and change directories to where you unzipped the tar and zip file earlier.. ie: C:\manataray-jdp39

(if your bootloader is still locked you need to type "fastboot oem unlock" and then follow the instructions on your screen first)

Now type flash-all

Wait it out until your device reboots on its own..

You're done..

If you want to root after this ask here.. Me, or someone else will tell you how to do using the programs provided in the SDK you installed.. This way you will know the exact processes taking place as you yourself will be running each command to install recovery etc.. Then in the event something goes wrong in the future you will most likely be able to fix it yourself.. Also, you'll be more prepared to help others out in similar situations.

* - I'm assuming you already had the USB drivers installed and thus skipped all that jazz.

just an fyi that i used this post of yours, also with great success, to go back to stock for continued troubleshooting. thanks again!

Reactions: styckx

funkpod

Aug 7, 2010
Here's exactly how I updated:

- Used 4.2 Factory Image
- Rebooted immediately back to Bootloader after the flash-all.bat was complete (didn't let OS boot)
- Locked Bootloader
- Went to Recovery
- Sideloaded the 4.2 to 4.2.1 update
- Sideloaded the 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 update immediately afterwards
- Wiped Data and Cache
- Rebooted

So far everything seems well.

For some weird reason when I first restocked my device, I wasn't able to access Recovery after OTA updating from 4.2 to 4.2.1 (got "No command."). No idea what was up with that.

FWIW, go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNEXCY-wHpw

at about 3:30 he deals with this

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus 10 4.2.2 OTA URL

Hi all,

You can download 4.2.2 OTA from below link. Have a fun!! :fingers-crossed:
    MD5:ed637878ccba20ba9d44e62685ac67e9

http://android.clients.google.com/p...igned-mantaray-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.eaef1443.zip
    Thanks! I tried it but got stuck in the same situation. The update was downloaded but not installed properly.

Thanks for helping. I'm all done with the setting up the variables. Whats next now?

Awesome... Assuming you backed up your loot. The following will wipe your tablet clean and install a fresh stock unrooted, Jellybean 4.2.2

Download the 4.2.2 factory image: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mantaray-jdq39-factory-d79f489e.tgz

Unzip that.. Inside that is a tar file you need to unzip which contains a folder named "mantaray-jdq39". For tutorial purposes I'm going to assume we unzipped it into the root of C:\

Unzip the image-mantaray-jdq39.zip that is sitting in that directory (mantaray-jdq39). It will contain 5 img files.. They should all be sitting in the same directory

Power down the device and boot into the bootloader of your device.. Unplug the usb from PC and hold BOTH Vol Up-Down and the power button until you get into the bootloader. You'll know it's the right one if you can use the volume keys to switch between start, recovery etc... Plug your Nexus into your PC now..

Open a command prompt and change directories to where you unzipped the tar and zip file earlier.. ie: C:\manataray-jdp39

(if your bootloader is still locked you need to type "fastboot oem unlock" and then follow the instructions on your screen first)

Now type flash-all

Wait it out until your device reboots on its own..

You're done..

If you want to root after this ask here.. Me, or someone else will tell you how to do using the programs provided in the SDK you installed.. This way you will know the exact processes taking place as you yourself will be running each command to install recovery etc.. Then in the event something goes wrong in the future you will most likely be able to fix it yourself.. Also, you'll be more prepared to help others out in similar situations.

* - I'm assuming you already had the USB drivers installed and thus skipped all that jazz.
    I don't care about the data. I have backed up everything. Just wanted to make sure it will work with just one file with flash-all command.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Nailed it.! The problem was Internet Download Manager. What I downloaded was .tgz file and IDM (i don't know why) converted it to .tar and that was the reason of not showing the contents properly.

---------- Post added 18th February 2013 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 17th February 2013 at 11:40 PM ----------

Yes, finally I am on 4.2.2 :D Thanks a lot for everything. Really you have helped a lot. Now the final part, Rooting. The way you described, I would like to do the same way.

Congrats!

This is easy also..

First we need to download the Flashable SuperSU.
    Go to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
    In the first post download the flashable zip by clicking the link following the text "CWM / TWRP / MobileODIN installable ZIP: "

Place it in a spot on your device.. Doesn't matter where.. Just as long as you know where it is at.

Download TWRP (what will be your new recovery): http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

Type in "Nexus 10" click link for it that appears, then click "Download the newest .img file from here" (you want openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img whatever is the newest at the time of reading this)" on the next page.

Reboot to bootloader - Hold both Vol Up/Down + Power

Connect your device to the PC

Now we are going to instruct fastboot to flash openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img to the recovery partition of your device

Open a command prompt where you have the TWRP openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img file you downloaded

Type: fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img

Once you get the a-ok.. You can now use the volume key to choose "recovery" then the power button to boot into recovery.

TWRP should load.. Now you want to touch "install".. Browse to where you placed the SuperSU zip, choose it, swipe to flash and you should be done at that point and can reboot.
    Good call on the platform tools being outdated. I had downloaded it all today, but I just ran SDK Manager and it said there was an update available. After installing that, everything seems to work OK. It was definitely using an old fastboot as there are more options for it now. Not sure why.

Anyway, everything works perfect now! Thanks so much. I really owe you one.

Woohoo! So awesome.. Look at it this way.. You just got a lot of trouble shooting experience in and have a much better understanding how these things work.. The toolkits just can't replace hands on experience. :) Glad you're updated.. Now go install some games and relax. :good:
    If anyone is not rooted and has upgraded to 4.2.2 here for rooting and installing CWM! :cowboy:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2144831