[Q] Galaxy Note Screen Issues!!!

Search This thread

Gus Hayabusa

Nov 5, 2011
Dear friends...

Im new here so Ill try to be breif.

I bought a galaxy Note and I have an issue.
Im not familiar with terms so I dont know if my problem is called banding or anything else of the kind.

In a page that has a white backround (happens with some other backgrounds too but especially with white) I notice this:
The white changes shades... for ex.: it could take a pink-ish shade or a green-ish shade or a light blue one. All this ofcourse as a shade and not eye-popping differences. Just noticable.

Does anyone have knowledge on this issue?
What I'm really sick about finding out is if others are facing this problem also or if this is just my devise because Im an extremly lucky person and I dropped it right out of the box!!! So my worry is if I did some damage to the screen, or if this is just an issue with the hd led display.:(

Any help would be highly appreciated because as you understand, I will feel much less stupid if this is a common problem, rather than having caused it myself.

Thanking in advance
Gus

Reactions: brockyneo

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
Uh... sounds like you need to return it. It shouldn't change shades when displaying white.

Gahshn

Nov 7, 2011
Same problem here

I have the same issue with the screen you describe! I thought I am the only one...Could it be a wide-spread problem and other don't notice it? it is a very faint hue change from pink to green with a variable frequency but on low-brightness is annoying as it distracts me from reading... I do not know if it is a problem with the device or a feature of the superamoled display; I did not see this on my Galaxy s1 nor S2.
So, my concern: is this going to stay like this, to degenerate or to cure by itself.:p
I may return the phone but due to the stock shortage I will have to stay without it and I am quite hooked by this device...
Also due to the fact that this is barely visible it may not be accepted for servicing.

Reactions: Gus Hayabusa

dannstarr

Mar 19, 2010
I know exactly what you are talking about, and i have seen it in my device. Do not fear, it is not a hardware fault, and is not caused by your drop:

Go to settings / display and scroll down. You will see 'auto adjust screen power' and when this is checked it seems to cause this, although i agree it is barely noticeable.

I keep mine checked because i prefer the potential power savings

Gus Hayabusa

Nov 5, 2011
I want to thank everyone for their replies!
Thank you Gahshn and dannstarr.
You cant imagine what a releif it is to know I didnt cause this problem myself.

Dannstarr thank you VERY much for your settings suggestion.
Im under the impression that it DID reduce the frequency of the problem quite much but it didnt completely stop.
Nevertheless, it is an improvement.
The fact that Im not alone on this, is a releif by itself but,
anyone else who is facing the problem and has more suggestions on this, please reply!!!

I guess there's no point on taking it to Samsung now.
They'll just do a factory reset and I'll loose what ever free apps and progress within apps and games I've made.

Hironimo

Jan 17, 2009
Different light intensity

I have a similar problem. I don't so much see shades with different colors, but different light intensities, horizontally across the screen if you hold it in portrait mode (typical way of holding in one hand).

You mostly notice it when all the display is grey, but also a bit on white.
You can see it by downling the free tool "Screen test" and going to the third page (first is white, second black and third grey).

I made a picture of it.

Do you have this issue?

I wonder if it makes sense trying to replace it.

Attachments

• 20111109_194220.jpg
    20111109_194220.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 11,864
Reactions: Gus Hayabusa

Gus Hayabusa

Nov 5, 2011
@ Hironimo

Yes my friend, I downloaded the app that u said and these lines DO appear maybe not as intense as shown on the photo but visible.

As far as my issue, its very nerve braking because it doesnt appear at once so if you wanna show someone what ur talking about its very difficult.
Its more vissible with low brightness and with apps with white backround like gmail or browsing etc. You observe the screen for a minute or less, and it appears.
I think we hit the jackpot with this screen and I think we should all contact samsung in Korea because they are enjoing almost my one month salary and I am getting dizzy by reading within their so called hd super amoled screen! If I only knew......

Airisire

May 31, 2011
Do you have this issue?

I wonder if it makes sense trying to replace it.

I have a similar issue - horizontal banding in landscape view and hue change of white between pink and green (!) - barely visible in plain light but annoying whan screenfilter is on (screenfilter is a free app to reduce the brightness for use at night); I have not seen other phone (none of my friends have this model) but on previous phones I had I did not notice this type of problem.
I do not think it is a defect - is more like a variation in quality of the pentilematrix I would not expect from a manufacturer this screen.
Sending for replacement may look bizarre because it is a minor problem and you may be told that no screen is perfect and have issues like this to some extent.

Hironimo

Jan 17, 2009
Yes, this is also my take on it.
It is no major defect, and indeed if I send it in for repair they may say there is nothing wrong. And if I send it back to amazon saying it is faulty they will replace it (once) and I may get a screen with the same issue.
I do have to say that on the photo it appears clearer as when you normally look at it, and in normal use you seldomly notice it.
But when I compare it with my "old" galaxy s2 I know what evenly lit means ...

My friend also tells me i thinks the defect is not big enough to do something about it.
In so many other respects I love the note.
Especialy that FINALLY they have volume controls on the headset.

But I'm very intersted to see how many others have this or similar issues...
Maybe if we are enough we can contact Samsung and get a statement.

What about creating a poll?

paulshields

Nov 17, 2006
Liverpool
Uh, on the topic of screen issues.... here is mine: the super-duper-black is not that black.

See the pic, that is supposed to be full black. Granted, this was taken in total darkness and with a long shutter, but it can still be seen. Hell, I noticed it yesterday when I wanted to take notes on a black background, under standard room lighting conditions.

(This is a review device, so I'll return it anyway.)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-PenHKWU42S4/Trr-m06n30I/AAAAAAAAYx8/H1R7gIutbxI/s1247/wtfNote.jpg

Is it visible under normal viewing conditions? i.e. not when taking long exposures in total darkness. Serious question btw. I'm just unsure from your post if this is something you can see generally.

Gus Hayabusa

Nov 5, 2011
Yes, this is also my take on it.
It is no major defect, and indeed if I send it in for repair they may say there is nothing wrong. And if I send it back to amazon saying it is faulty they will replace it (once) and I may get a screen with the same issue.
I do have to say that on the photo it appears clearer as when you normally look at it, and in normal use you seldomly notice it.
But when I compare it with my "old" galaxy s2 I know what evenly lit means ...

My friend also tells me i thinks the defect is not big enough to do something about it.
In so many other respects I love the note.
Especialy that FINALLY they have volume controls on the headset.

But I'm very intersted to see how many others have this or similar issues...
Maybe if we are enough we can contact Samsung and get a statement.

What about creating a poll?

My friend I have no idea on creating polls but Im with you all the way.
Taking a stance is always better than nothing!

denialnw10

Apr 7, 2006
Dear friends...

Im new here so Ill try to be breif.

I bought a galaxy Note and I have an issue.
Im not familiar with terms so I dont know if my problem is called banding or anything else of the kind.

In a page that has a white backround (happens with some other backgrounds too but especially with white) I notice this:
The white changes shades... for ex.: it could take a pink-ish shade or a green-ish shade or a light blue one. All this ofcourse as a shade and not eye-popping differences. Just noticable.

Does anyone have knowledge on this issue?
What I'm really sick about finding out is if others are facing this problem also or if this is just my devise because Im an extremly lucky person and I dropped it right out of the box!!! So my worry is if I did some damage to the screen, or if this is just an issue with the hd led display.:(

Any help would be highly appreciated because as you understand, I will feel much less stupid if this is a common problem, rather than having caused it myself.

Thanking in advance
Gus

Wow, I also have this problem and really thought it was just me because nobody had mentioned it so far. It's a problem that doesn't feel big enough to send the phone back, but is a big enough problem to annoy the hell out of me.

I have so far chosen to ignore the issue, but agree with the other comments regarding the fact that tinkering with the settings does make it less apparent. And again, I agree that I love the phone so much, I don't want to send it back for repair (if that's what it needs), but the underlying problem is... does it need a repair? or is it a feature?

nagi603

Jul 28, 2008
Nexus 7
OnePlus One
Is it visible under normal viewing conditions? i.e. not when taking long exposures in total darkness. Serious question btw. I'm just unsure from your post if this is something you can see generally.

So far only under moderate light and a black background. Which is what I'd use for e-book reading or writing into the note app during a session.

edit: tried it with fbreader, on night mode. You won't notice it during the evening, even with minimum brightness, unless there are a couple of empty lines. Then it looks as if the screen would be dirty.

Last edited:

Gus Hayabusa

Nov 5, 2011
Wow, I also have this problem and really thought it was just me because nobody had mentioned it so far. It's a problem that doesn't feel big enough to send the phone back, but is a big enough problem to annoy the hell out of me.

I have so far chosen to ignore the issue, but agree with the other comments regarding the fact that tinkering with the settings does make it less apparent. And again, I agree that I love the phone so much, I don't want to send it back for repair (if that's what it needs), but the underlying problem is... does it need a repair? or is it a feature?

Judging from the fact that there are many of us, it seems that it is not a matter of repair.
But... Im surprised that not all users have noticed and I sure would like the opinion of a samsung technician or a professional. Just to make sure.
But I also have difficulty turning it in...
Thats why we are here :)
To be convinced that it is a general issue and not individual. :)

RashaMatt

Jul 5, 2010
I have the same issue, and I haven't dropped mine. But it's subtle enough that I wouldn't be surprised if many ppl don't even notice it. It hasn't been bad enough to bother me... Just kinda makes me wonder if I'm setting things sometimes :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know exactly what you are talking about, and i have seen it in my device. Do not fear, it is not a hardware fault, and is not caused by your drop:

Go to settings / display and scroll down. You will see 'auto adjust screen power' and when this is checked it seems to cause this, although i agree it is barely noticeable.

I keep mine checked because i prefer the potential power savings
    Stop wasting your time!

Don't take this personally, but GET A REFUND, NOW!

done:
    confirm these problems: had 14 (!!!) notes so far (some 16 gb internal, some 32gb internal, all bought in austria), ALL OF THEM SUFFERED MORE OR LESS FROM THIS PROBLEMS!
    as a technically very skilled person i know what i'm writing about, also on xda-developers.com in the note section are HUGE threads regarding this problems! additionally, there are also problems with unevenness with grey and brown colors, dark blotches and lines (display a black image, go into a dark room and let your eyes accommodate for at least 1 min) ON ALL SCREENS I'VE SEEN SO FAR!!!
    i love my note, BUT THE SCREEN IS C R A P DUE TO MANUFACTURING PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!
    me too will exchange until my screen is worth the money i paid for it, so i'm sure samsung wont earn money on me, AND ITS NOT MY FAULT! regards from austria, markus
    ..anyone can answer if this abrupt transition can be fixed? ..Can it be a software issue that may be solved with a calibration tool, an updated firmware or ICS, or is a hardware constraint?

I can tell is that it's not a hardware issue at all.

All a matter of color profile.
    Just recieved my Note! It's so ****ing awesome! No dead pixels, black and white is superb but there's some banding on grey color, but the Desire HD also has this so big deal! I'm not gonna ruin this device for myself by analyzing every little part of it like you guys do.

Enjoy it, or you know.. not. Your choice.