Slow download speeds via WiFi

Search This thread

clockwork.satan

Nov 17, 2010
Hey guys, in hoping that someone can help as I'm pulling my hair out over this.

I just got my M8 a couple of days ago.but am experiencing problems with the Wi-Fi download speeds. I've got a 30meg connection at home which is working perfectly fine (I have tested this by running speed tests from multiple devices, including my old HTC One X and my partner's Xperia Z) and they all do the test at maximum speed. The problem is that my new M8 gets results of between 3 and 5mbps on the same speed test (By Ookla). I have not changed any of the settings and don't have any power management apps or anything that's likely to do this.

If I disconnect and reconnect to my router, the speed test results get the expected download speeds for a short while, but then return to the slow ones.

Any ideas??

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

rbouza1

May 16, 2013
Google Pixel 6
Hey guys, in hoping that someone can help as I'm pulling my hair out over this.

I just got my M8 a couple of days ago.but am experiencing problems with the Wi-Fi download speeds. I've got a 30meg connection at home which is working perfectly fine (I have tested this by running speed tests from multiple devices, including my old HTC One X and my partner's Xperia Z) and they all do the test at maximum speed. The problem is that my new M8 gets results of between 3 and 5mbps on the same speed test (By Ookla). I have not changed any of the settings and don't have any power management apps or anything that's likely to do this.

If I disconnect and reconnect to my router, the speed test results get the expected download speeds for a short while, but then return to the slow ones.

Any ideas??

you have dual band router ? try diff frequency ?

clockwork.satan

Nov 17, 2010
I actually just tried completely rebooting the router after switching between 2.4 and 5Ghz with no effect, so fingers crossed!

clockwork.satan

Nov 17, 2010
...Which made no difference. What the hell could be causing this?!

clockwork.satan

Nov 17, 2010
Nope, I've ran speed tests from my PC's and they're working fine.

I've just tried changing the WiFi channel to see if that makes any difference... But surely it would effect all off my devices if there was a clash with someone else's router?

clockwork.satan

Nov 17, 2010
So far, changing the WiFi channel seems to have fixed it... Will see if it keeps working after the phone has went to sleep...

clockwork.satan

Nov 17, 2010
Ok, guys - I've rebooted my router, changed frequency and channel, deleted the connection and added it back again and disabled any apps that might be causing this, but still no luck.

Could it be a fault with my phone?

rbouza1

May 16, 2013
Google Pixel 6
Ok, guys - I've rebooted my router, changed frequency and channel, deleted the connection and added it back again and disabled any apps that might be causing this, but still no luck.

i doubt it, my wifi is fast where my mobile data is like 6 mbps. wifi is 30 mbps

Reactions: bralls

clockwork.satan

Nov 17, 2010
Ok, so I completely taken my M8 back to scratch tonight and done a factory reset... And guess what? IT'S STILL DOING IT!

Surely there must be someone out there that's seen this before?

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
Ok, so I completely taken my M8 back to scratch tonight and done a factory reset... And guess what? IT'S STILL DOING IT!

I would try someone else's router before saying it's your phone. Also try different server on speedtest. Maybe there is something with your specific router that doesn't get along with the n_ac chip in your phone. Mine pulls 88mbit on my 105mb line. I have 2 year old airport extreme. It actually didn't work well in the past with my gs4 but a firmware update fixed it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

pemell

Jan 4, 2012
Gothenburg

Hi @clockwork.satan

I'm in the same boat as you but with a different device (Sony Xperia Z Ultra GPE)

The speed is around 30Mbps on my desktop but only 3Mbps on my device.

The thing is, that this happens at home not on other routers I tried. So my conclusion is that it's something in the router.

You should try it too, test your connection on someone else's router to exclude the device from being the problem.

Jan 10, 2012
Atlanta, GA
same issue

I have the exact same issue. Same issue on multiple routers. Gets up to 20 mbs then Halfway though the test rapidly drops down to 1.4 mbs. Lte is 30-40mbs consistently. Can't figure it out.

aazmath

May 24, 2010
OP
Hi Guys, any solutions on this ? I have also M8 and yestarday i ahve discovered the same issue:(

andysp

Jul 1, 2015
Hi Guys, any solutions on this ? I have also M8 and yestarday i ahve discovered the same issue:(

I've managed to sort this by enabling 5 GHz frequency on my router then connecting the phone to the 5 GHz frequency. I had disabled it a while ago for some reason and thought id give it a go. My WiFi speeds on the phone were 0.8 to 3 on the 2.4 GHz and are now averaging 90Mbps!! Download.

Magreevy

Jun 4, 2015
Same Issue!

Ive been having the exact same issue for months now. Swapped routers, changed channel and frequency. Tried different networks (work, home, friends, mobile hotspots) and factory reset twice. Nothing works. It is definitely the M8 with an issue but I can't pinpoint why. The only thing that works is disabling WiFi on the M8 and re-establishing a connection but this works for a whole of about 30 seconds before my speed drops again. I've resorted to sticking to 4g until a solution is found. Someone surely has to have an answer.

IcarusLSC

Sep 19, 2011
Ontario
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I thought I'd add I am having the same issue with my M8 I just got the other day. Download speeds won't break about 2Mbps!!! :( Upload sppeds seem unaffected (but they are slow anyways here @ 4Mbps) All my other phones/pcs would run about 32-33Mbps on wireless via my 35Mbps connection, including my old M8.

I noticed if I turn airplane mode on and then off, the download speeds return to normal for a short while, then revert to the 2Mbps downloads :( I have tried factory reset of both router and phone. Clearing cache on phone, etc, to no avail... I am running Android 6.0 (6.13.631.7)

I'd love to figure this out. This phone is mint that I got and this is the only issue, so would hate to get rid of it due to this...

Should I just ask here or make my own thread on this?

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
LOL

It's not the phone. Download speeds shown in speedtest are just for the potential. There are still the upload speeds to deal with from where you are downloading from. 2mbps are normal.

Do this:
Go to a torrent site on you PC/laptop and download a movie that has a lot of seeders. (or download something from pretty much anywhere you feel like downloading from)
Check the download speeds. If you are getting 30mbps, then it is a miracle! Chances are it'll be around 2mbps at its peak.
It's not the phone.

IcarusLSC

Sep 19, 2011
Ontario
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
It's not the phone. Download speeds shown in speedtest are just for the potential. There are still the upload speeds to deal with from where you are downloading from. 2mbps are normal.

Do this:
Go to a torrent site on you PC/laptop and download a movie that has a lot of seeders. (or download something from pretty much anywhere you feel like downloading from)
Check the download speeds. If you are getting 30mbps, then it is a miracle! Chances are it'll be around 2mbps at its peak.
It's not the phone.

Every phone I've owned in the past few years (including my old M8) has shown the same speeds for wifi (35/5 connection shows about 32-33/4). It's the phone.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

i doubt it, my wifi is fast where my mobile data is like 6 mbps. wifi is 30 mbps