Nexus 7 car "double check" install help

Search This thread
C

chaserwaser25

Hello everyone so I'm doing a full dash replacement. Done a lot of research. I just want to make sure this is pretty much how it goes ? If someone wouldn't mind posting it that would be fantastic. Thanks!

s14.postimg.org/xspgi2rm9/image + .jpg

weedahoe

Not my favorite way of doing it but that will work. Don't forget in line fuses where needed.

I never understood the need for hubs and sticks. I mean I have terabytes of music but it's more of a collection and archive. I only listen to a couple of albums at a time so my internal 32gb is more than enough for me. Wireless charging is so much more cleaner. That's just my opinion though.

Take pics of your process along the way and do a build thread as it might help someone else out later.

C

chaserwaser25

Not my favorite way of doing it but that will work. Don't forget in line fuses where needed.

I never understood the need for hubs and sticks. I mean I have terabytes of music but it's more of a collection and archive. I only listen to a couple of albums at a time so my internal 32gb is more than enough for me. Wireless charging is so much more cleaner. That's just my opinion though.

Take pics of your process along the way and do a build thread as it might help someone else out later.

Please explain better what needs to be changed. You can wirelessly charge these now? All the installs I saw were from a year or two go. Is there better ways to go about this now? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

weedahoe

There are many ways to accomplish the same thing and what you have will work if that's how you want to do it.

My install is not permanent. I can take out my tablet and take it with me. Even though I have other tablets, I don't like leaving my N7 in the truck. Wireless charging is enabled by default. All you need is the charger. For me, since I can take it out, I can take it in the house and transfer anything I want to it or use Airdroid and transfer anything to it wirelessly. Again, with 32gb, it's more than enough for me.

My audio is streamed wirelessly to a bluetooth module which goes to my RCAs which feed my amps. Because I use JetAudio, I have all my EQ and other settings in the software.

Here are some pics of mine

https://www.facebook.com/TrickedOut...21658036467.1073741951.100002259154742&type=1

mackeystingray

Mar 26, 2008
if you want your tablet to slowly discharge over time in your dash, wireless is the way to go.

if you actually want to keep your tablet charged while using GPS/data/etc, use a cable.

weedahoe

Not true. With mine, Tasker is used to auto turn on both bluetooth and wifi. My brightness is also turned on to full brightness and set to do a few other things. I have never killed my battery by using it with a wireless charger and I have done a few trips out of town that were a couple of hour trips.

I also use an app called Galaxy Charging Current and you can use it to see you are on the (+) side of charging and not in a deficit

C

chaserwaser25

if you want your tablet to slowly discharge over time in your dash, wireless is the way to go.

if you actually want to keep your tablet charged while using GPS/data/etc, use a cable.

So let's say minus the car charger part and I didn't a dc dc converter instead wired to a fuse box would that work too? Do I need a new radio harness for my car ?

C

chaserwaser25

And also do I need to know what channel amp I need ? I want to keep stock speakers but know I need an amp for the dac, can I use just a mono block ?

weedahoe

So let's say minus the car charger part and I didn't a dc dc converter instead wired to a fuse box would that work too? Do I need a new radio harness for my car ?

I bought a DC cig lighter USB plug, gutted it and used the inerds to connect to 12v and allow my wireless charger (or any charger) to connect to. The cig lighter is already a fused circuit. If you are running a wire from the battery, then fuse it.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

There are just too many variables for this to answer. You aren't trying to keep the email radio are you? If so, why? The tablet can do radio stations, stored music, movies, Netflix, YouTube, bluetooth calls, ect. Again, I never understood the need for some people to want to keep the OEM head unit.

How many door speakers do you have? Are you going to upgrade them to aftermarket? Any subs? If so, how many?

C

chaserwaser25

I bought a DC cig lighter USB plug, gutted it and used the inerds to connect to 12v and allow my wireless charger (or any charger) to connect to. The cig lighter is already a fused circuit. If you are running a wire from the battery, then fuse it.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

There are just too many variables for this to answer. You aren't trying to keep the email radio are you? If so, why? The tablet can do radio stations, stored music, movies, Netflix, YouTube, bluetooth calls, ect. Again, I never understood the need for some people to want to keep the OEM head unit.

How many door speakers do you have? Are you going to upgrade them to aftermarket? Any subs? If so, how many?

No I'm not trying to keep oem head unit trying to do full replacement and I don't plan to upgrade door speakers and MAYBE add a sub later

C

chaserwaser25

You could do a 2 channel amp with the 2 left side door speakers wired in parallel and the right side wired the same. Or you could run a 4 channel amp. Or you could run a 5.1 amp for future sub add-on

Ok cool so a mono won't work then ? Also I mean what so the best way to wore up the power to allow charging and run my usb hubs ? I saw this dcdc to usb from mini box that people say is the best

weedahoe

Ok cool so a mono won't work then ? Also I mean what so the best way to wore up the power to allow charging and run my usb hubs ? I saw this dcdc to usb from mini box that people say is the best

Sure. You could do a mono is you were really serious about it. Not something I would advise because you have no balance or fade control. But assuming your OEM speakers are 4 ohm, you could wire the two on the left side in parallel to get a 2 ohm load and the same with the right side for another 2 ohm load and then wire both sides in series to get a 4 ohm load again and 1 channel.

Or do it backwards and do each side is series to get an 8 ohm load and then wire both together is parallel to get a 4 ohm load. Like I said, lots of ways to get the same results.

DC to DC via USB can be accomplished with any car charger with a USB post. Keep is simple (and cheap). No need for something like an OPUS Solutions DC power supply. (sarcasm)

C

chaserwaser25

Sure. You could do a mono is you were really serious about it. Not something I would advise because you have no balance or fade control. But assuming your OEM speakers are 4 ohm, you could wire the two on the left side in parallel to get a 2 ohm load and the same with the right side for another 2 ohm load and then wire both sides in series to get a 4 ohm load again and 1 channel.

Or do it backwards and do each side is series to get an 8 ohm load and then wire both together is parallel to get a 4 ohm load. Like I said, lots of ways to get the same results.

DC to DC via USB can be accomplished with any car charger with a USB post. Keep is simple (and cheap). No need for something like an OPUS Solutions DC power supply. (sarcasm)

I appreciate your help first of all. So I guess what would be the easiest way to do this then just a 2 channel or 4? Let me post then and then my next post I'll finally post my supplies with links cause I will be able to.

C

chaserwaser25

C

chaserwaser25

Ok I'll change the amp to 4 channel (4$ more ) and is there any better power adapter or will that work perfectly ? I'm just concerned about it charging and also running the Hub along with dac and flash drive