Verified, ran August GB RUU and phone re-rooted

Search This thread

swskeptic

Aug 23, 2011
I'll flash 3.0.0.8 in a little bit and report back with what happens. And yes, you are correct about everything else.

windybiscuit

Mar 31, 2011
Buffalo, NY
twitter.com
Working great!

I don't have enough posts under my belt to use the thanks button, so forgive the spam, but I felt compelled to post my thanks to OP!

With S-Off I was able to flash the RUU, reboot into HBOOT and flash CWM Recovery, then install Superuser and I was good to go with a rooted (and bloody fast!) OTA GB on my Dinc. It even fixed the GPS issue I was having with CM7! :D

Reactions: kzoodroid

swskeptic

Aug 23, 2011
Alright, I've got clockword mod recovery flashed, I have superuser installed... am I done?

If so... effing THANK YOU.

EDIT: Hello to a fellow Kzoo-ite.. kzoo-ian? Whatever...

Last edited:
Reactions: loki314

kzoodroid

Jun 27, 2010
Kalamazoo
Alright, I've got clockword mod recovery flashed, I have superuser installed... am I done?

If so... effing THANK YOU.

EDIT: Hello to a fellow Kzoo-ite.. kzoo-ian? Whatever...

That should be it just test it by running something that requires root like titanium backup or root explorer.

It might have been that you had an slcd phone all along or that version 3.0.0.8 is the only one that works.

I think its kazooski.

Reactions: swskeptic

Hypcrsy

Nov 9, 2010
East Hartland
If you flashed the GB RUU and lost root and/or s-off.
Someone correct me please if I'm wrong but couldn't you download the froyo RUU and load it then root and s-off?

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

I just had my Incredible replaced today due to a speaker issue and I forgot I still had the GB Leaked RUU on my card saved as the PMB.zip or whatever it's called. Unfortunately I thought the same thing, just download a 2.2 RUU and try again, but it didn't work. My comp attempted the downgrade but the program came back saying it couldn't flash the new image. So I guess I have to wait for Unrevoked to come to the rescue. :(

swskeptic

Aug 23, 2011
That should be it just test it by running something that requires root like titanium backup or root explorer.

It might have been that you had an slcd phone all along or that version 3.0.0.8 is the only one that works.

I think its kazooski.

That was in fact, the problem. I thought all this time I had an AMOLED phone... nope. Once I got that straightened out I got through the process just fine and in only a matter of minutes.

Thanks again, maybe I'll see you around Kalamazoo some time!

swskeptic

Aug 23, 2011
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I've successfully done this process twice now, it's definitely possible, with S-OFF at least.

TurboD

Dec 11, 2010
This was super easy and worked great, just wanted to say thank you! This is the wifes phone, so I was going to wait for the official ota, but the low application memory pushed me to far for the last time, so I loaded the leak hoping it fixes it.

TurboD

Dec 11, 2010
Well how many apps does she have installed? I have no experience with low app memory but I don't believe merely flashing a rom would resolve low app space.

Only a handful, I may end up trying a ROM like CM7. I don't want to hijack this thread though so I'll leave it at that, but I do certainly appreciate the input. Just letting others know the 150mb data limit is not corrected with this build.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
To be realistic, the best response anyone can give you is being that it is delayed is "sometime in 2011."

Last edited:

INC_Omar

Aug 29, 2011
un rooted?

While the RUU was running I made sure to check that 'S-OFF' was indicated on the top of the screen, but now when I try to boot into recovery to flash clockwork (holding down volume while pressing power button) nothing happens. It seems I can only boot normally now. Is there something I could have done to turn S-ON ?

RedHotLama

Jun 15, 2010
Man was hoping this would fix the low app space. But have you also moved the apps to SD card?

Also wondering if this will help my wife's phone from getting in the reboot loop.

k_nivesout

Mar 27, 2011
While the RUU was running I made sure to check that 'S-OFF' was indicated on the top of the screen, but now when I try to boot into recovery to flash clockwork (holding down volume while pressing power button) nothing happens. It seems I can only boot normally now. Is there something I could have done to turn S-ON ?
Sounds like fastboot is enabled. Disable it in settings>power, or do a battery pull and reboot into hboot from there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay I verified that if you have s-off you will be able to get root back on your phone if you run the RUU.

As expected the RUU did unroot my phone but it didn't touch s-off. So I downloaded CWM 3.0.0.8 from dougpiston.com and changed it to PB31IMG.zip (this has to be a flashable zip file to work) and it loaded from hboot no problem. I then downloaded the latest superuser app using ROM Manager, version 2.3.6.3 efgh, older versions will not work, and just flashed it through recovery. Superuser does not need to be renamed update.zip you can just leave the name as is and select let me choose zip from sdcard and it installs just fine.

Took a while for me to get superuser running again as I had an older version and I could only find the newest version in ROM Manager.

****YOU MUST HAVE S-OFF FOR THIS TO WORK*********************
    My phone (unrooted) has downloaded the update and wants to install. I haven't run the install yet as I want to be able to root. Should I run unrevoked forever and then let it install? Do I need to copy any files off the phone that could be useful to devs before I run the install?

Thanks,

Todd

You should absolutely run unrevoked forever to achieve S-Off before you install the OTA update. This is a perm-root solution that cannot be (as I understand it) revoked via an OTA update. Once you have achieved S-Off, you should be able to run the GB update and (as kzoodroid has previously stated), flash an alternate recovery/install SU/achieve root.

Unrevoked: do it.
    no thanks necessary but its appreciated and i'm glad to see it worked for you.
    under download rom > extras
    under download rom > extras
    You can also get it from here