Custom GPS antenna for THL W8 Beyond

Search This thread

scunner

Feb 9, 2011
fix gps w8 beyond

Hey

I'd like to fix my crappy GPS antenna, can anyone here help me with that - I don't know how it looks like and don't know how to take the phone apart safely besides being careful not to yank the mic
Will only copper wire work?
Has anyone ever done this?
This device is notorious for it's bad GPS reception but there's not info on how to fix it and I'd sure appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

look here for fix works 100% I use my w8 with sygic and its excelent link = http://bbs.thl.com.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4447&highlight=gps

scunner

Feb 9, 2011
w8 gps

does not help.

the problem is a software problem (probably kernel that uses the GPS module. )

are you on a custom rom? if not you may have a hardware fault. the method I linked to works i was waiting upto 2 hours and only fixing on 2 satellites, after i applied the changes i get a average of 7 in seconds, first fix may take a couple of minutes
I hope this works for you

_ossie_

Sep 11, 2007
Melbourne
The issue is not "speed to lock". I get a reasonable TTFF (time to first fix) when EPO data is current (20 seconds or so indoors near a window).
The problem is that after getting a "FIX" , it doesn't STAY fixed. Move a few metres and it's no longer fixed.
So GPS doesn't STAY accurate. It certainly WORKS (as evidenced by number of satellites in initial fix) but as soon as you try to use Navigation software, you will get the "Waiting for accurate location" problem.
(W8S)

chenrp

Oct 17, 2006
The issue is not "speed to lock". I get a reasonable TTFF (time to first fix) when EPO data is current (20 seconds or so indoors near a window).
The problem is that after getting a "FIX" , it doesn't STAY fixed. Move a few metres and it's no longer fixed.
So GPS doesn't STAY accurate. It certainly WORKS (as evidenced by number of satellites in initial fix) but as soon as you try to use Navigation software, you will get the "Waiting for accurate location" problem.
(W8S)

exactly!
try using this:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2431933

if no go, try using IGO and SYGIC, and RUNKEEPER

chenrp

Oct 17, 2006
there is some guy in my local forum, that claims that we need to put some shield on the CPU on motherborad.
i will wait for him to show me how and post here.

cacan031

Mar 26, 2013
And now, results with more precise cut of alu foil [in the car, during a drive]... :)

Screenshot_2013-10-11-22-45-19.jpg

Please, post your results...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-11-22-45-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-11-22-45-19.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 722
Last edited:

teddyking

Oct 4, 2006
Antenna mod works !

At first i tried with alu, now the copper. i feel like it fix faster and stronger with the copper.
THL w8s is good phone for its price. The weak point is poor GPS receiver.
Thanks to this mod. i love my w8s more.

Don't waste your time with software tweak. Find the copper strip and do this mod.

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 1,822
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 1,754
Last edited:

bryangb

Antenna mod works !

At first i tried with alu, now the copper. i feel like it fix faster and stronger with the copper.
THL w8s is good phone for its price. The weak point is poor GPS receiver.
Thanks to this mod. i love my w8s more.

Don't waste your time with software tweak. Find the copper strip and do this mod.

This is just the copper, right? Did you modify the built-in aerial or add a connection to it, or is the copper not physically connected?

Thanks... :confused:

teddyking

Oct 4, 2006
This is just the copper, right? Did you modify the built-in aerial or add a connection to it, or is the copper not physically connected?

Thanks... :confused:

Not physically connected.
No need to modify the phone, just attach it to that back cover.

Result confirm !! it's not a placebo effect. :laugh:

_ossie_

Sep 11, 2007
Melbourne
Not physically connected.
No need to modify the phone, just attach it to that back cover.

Result confirm !! it's not a placebo effect. :laugh:

Yes I was sceptical but it does actually improve performance. My SNR increased a few points with aluminium foil.
After a first fix, I can usually get a fix in around 12 seconds outdoors or near a window. But using GPS Test all my satellites have a SNR below 32.
The GPS locks, but it doesn't always stay locked as I move around.
Do you think copper would work better? I can't find anywhere to buy small quantities of copper foil or ribbon locally.
Maybe people can post the exact dimensions of their antennae and signal gain so we can work out what's optimum?

Bileterri

Oct 18, 2013
Sorry but these hardware changes you can do well on the model W8S?
Significantly improves satellite reception?
Improves the speed of the fix?

_ossie_

Sep 11, 2007
Melbourne
you just palced the strip and thats all? or you did some modifications on phone antena mounted outside? does it need a conection ? or over plastic is ok?
mightbe anyone can ame a full description? place your Rom version and if u make any changes in it what changes?

Yep. I cut a piece of aluminium foil 7cm long and 2mm wide (approx) and then stuck it to the inside of the plastic case with UHU as per the photo above. It does increase SNR by a few units and it does increase the number of satellites seen. I don't understand the physics but I guess the dimensions and material of the antenna might be important. I don't know where to get copper foil.

ROM changes don't seem to be necessary. They speed up inital fix, but nothing else. You can achieve the same manually by enabling AGPS and downloading a current EPO file. Maybe edit gps.conf to select a local NTP server but my W8S performed the same without ANY gps.conf so maybe the software ignores gps.conf?

chenrp

Oct 17, 2006
(W8S)

Waze and google maps, still disconnecting from gps signal. Any fix for that?

Grantius

Sep 6, 2013
Guys, if you find the GPS is really inaccurate try disabling Dalvik JIT, it worked for me on ThL W8S

chenrp

Oct 17, 2006
i heard from THL that the new W8S(new = October) has a new improved GPS antenna!

can anyone post a picture of the phone (the back board) so we all can see how to fix ours?

thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Custom GPS tAntenna

Used kitchen aluminium foil, as befano71 suggested ["2mm aluminium tape 7cm long attached inside the cover like showed in the photo"]. Built in a hurry, and might not be with perfect measures, but these are results on a foggy, cloudy evening (I was leaning through a window of a building, hence some satellites are zeroed). GPS fix in <10sec ... :)

Custom made aluminium foil GPS antenna for THL W8S:
    attachment.php

Before mod:
    attachment.php

After mod:
    attachment.php
    I Got It FIXED finally!

Hi,
    I got my GPS Fixed! it takes less than a second for GPS Fix!
    (Waze tested)

I bought adhesive Copper wire (can be found in eBay easily)
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xadhesive+cooper&_nkw=adhesive+copper+tape&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I Cut EXACTLY like this it's a little less then 2m X 7cm ,mine is around 6cm.(mine is cooper wire)
    attachment.php

NOTICE: DONT cut longer! when I had it longer than what you see in the screenshot I HAD NO GPS Signal!
    make sure you cut the end of the cooper wire just slightly longer then the darker square (to the right of the copper wire) DONT leave a LONG antenna!!!

From a point of receiving barely 2 GPS signals with at most 28 SNR.
    and 0SNR inside buildings even next to window.

I GET GPS Fix inside the building!!! in 3 seconds!

outside all the most of the lines are at 30~42 !!!! others are at 28! and GPS fix after 1 seconds.
    unnamed_1.png

As soon as I take a screen shot, My hands block the signal, so it drops to this so basically what you see in the picture is less then what I actually get.

Enjoy and please do exactly as I said don't waste your time.
    Regards,
    Ben
    i managed to make a new GPS antenna. i took a copper adhesive and made a copy of the original one.
    now i get a fix but SNR is around 35.
    then i closed the back cover and got 30 SNR.
    so i put another 2 slice of copper (9cm long) on the cover (one is touching the GPS antenna) and now i got 35 SNR.
    but it is not enough. we need around 40-42 snr with 1-2 satellites in order to navigate in the city.

can anyone post a new GPS antenna mod that we can use with a copper adhesive?
    You are probably best off finding a microstrip "patch" antenna optimized for
    one of the two main GPS frequencies 1.57542 GHz (L1) and 1.2276 GHz (L2).
    You could also attempt to build one, like you did, but with optimized
    dimensions. These could be very small, on the size of a penny.

THIS is the basics of Microstrip (Patch) Antennas. You should definitely
    try that design first! However, I don't know the impedance (the length of W
    in the figure below) needed for your device, so you'll have to do some
    trial-and-error...

Within THIS rather technical document, there are several simple designs that
    you may try to make with your copper-tape-strips.

Finally try Google "homemade DIY gps patch antenna".

Let us know how it goes!

Here are some ideas:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Or perhaps this one?

attachment.php
    You are probably best off finding a microstrip "patch" antenna optimized for
    one of the two main GPS frequencies 1.57542 GHz (L1) and 1.2276 GHz (L2).
    You could also attempt to build one, like you did, but with optimized
    dimensions. These could be very small, on the size of a penny.

THIS is the basics of Microstrip (Patch) Antennas. You should definitely
    try that design first! However, I don't know the impedance (the length of W
    in the figure below) needed for your device, so you'll have to do some
    trial-and-error...

Within THIS rather technical document, there are several simple designs that
    you may try to make with your copper-tape-strips.

Finally try Google "homemade DIY gps patch antenna".

Let us know how it goes!

Here are some ideas:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Or perhaps this one?

attachment.php

I added 10/15 points just with this

i hope to be helpful to you