[Released Translation TUTORIAL] - HOW to translate ANY ROM

Search This thread

Tna

Hi!

After a long time of trying to cook custom roms in greek language I am ready to post a small tutorial on how to translate your Rom to your Language using kitchens with a quick and dirty way .

Attention there is a better way to do so but this is what I Do to make my Greek ROMS

Step 1)
a)Download your language emulator Files from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=38c46aa8-1dd7-426f-a913-4f370a65a582&DisplayLang=en#filelist

(b) extract the files in a new folder.

Slumpolo 's suggestion:

-----
to extract files from the emulation rom follow this direction:

- Download Tadzio's imgfs excelent tools in: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=298327
- Unzip the tools along with the image in any folder.
- Rename the image to A.BIN (to make the next commands easier to type).
- Open a D.O.S. command window and perform these commands:

Code:
> NBSPLIT -emu A.BIN
(it generates two files: A.BIN.EXTRA and A.BIN.PAYLOAD)

> IMGFSFROMNB A.BIN.PAYLOAD IMGFS.BIN
(it generates the file IMGFS.BIN)

> IMGFSTODUMP IMGFS.BINAnd that's all. Files are dumped in /Dump directory

-----
(c) Rename ALL the 4xx files to 409 (e.g. 0408.mui -> 0.409.mui) Apply this to all files and folders (an eyasier way to do that is to search from windows for all *408* files and then rename them)

Slumpolo's suggestion
----

For step 1c) during the translation of italian rom for the mui files that resides in directory I edited also a file (simply with Supered) that has a line that pointed to the 0410 files (ea. italian) and changed this to 409.

----

Step 2)
Find your BASE ROM.

Step 3)
Download your Kitchen. I prefered Anichillus kitchen due to the fact that supports ROM dumping in an easy way

Step 4)
Dump ROM ( If you use Anichullus Kitchen , follow the manual but Stop BEFORE using Bepe's Package TOOL !

Step 5)
Go to DUMP folder ,(eg C:\core\extract\dump) and paste ALL the language files you have renamed from step 1c . ATTENTION you have to copy and paste ALL files from your language folder AFTER you have renamed them to 409 . REPLACE duplicate files

Step 6)
Continue with kitchen steps . For instance if you were to use Bepe's Package TOOL , go on and build the packages.

Step 7)
Edit Initflashes.dat file . Information on how to do that are in every cooking tutorial. In Intflashes.dat file you will have to translate all the links and directories according to your language files. CAUTION if you make mistakes in translation your WM6 will be crappy and programs may not start

->In order to make a good translation check your original rom, or try the WM6 emulator wth your language files and check the directory names (eg
folder Programs in Greek have to be Προγράμματα)

Step 8)
Save Initflashes.dat in unicode and remove first two bytes with a hex editor

Step 9)
Choose your OEM packages.

For GREEK USERS : If you need a greek software keyboard like the original one I have made an OEM package that allows you to do so

Slumpolo's suggestion

------
For step 9) / 10) about keyboard, you must add with a oem package also:
- dictionary in your language
- settings for your language
- t9 dictionary for your language
- for keyboard layout make this registry mod:

Code:
Registry Editor:
HKCU >> ControlPanel >> Keybd
Create a string "Locale" with "0410" vale. Everything without "Where 0410 is your country value.
------

Step 10)
build your rom according to your kitchen manual

I hope this helps

Good luck with your tries

Last edited:

slumpolo

Jan 31, 2006
Rome
www.htcforum.it
I have used the same method for the italian version but you must translate also some parts of .hv files and .rgu or you must pay more attention during the translation of initflashfiles.dat because not all links and directories can be translated without .hv and .rgu editing.
My suggestion? Edit only initflashfiles.dat :)

Some add for your excellent tutorial:

----

For step 1b) to extract files from the emulation rom follow this direction:

- Download Tadzio's imgfs excelent tools in: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=298327
- Unzip the tools along with the image in any folder.
- Rename the image to A.BIN (to make the next commands easier to type).
- Open a D.O.S. command window and perform these commands:
Code:
> NBSPLIT -emu A.BIN
(it generates two files: A.BIN.EXTRA and A.BIN.PAYLOAD)

> IMGFSFROMNB A.BIN.PAYLOAD IMGFS.BIN
(it generates the file IMGFS.BIN)

> IMGFSTODUMP IMGFS.BIN

And that's all. Files are dumped in /Dump directory

----

For step 1c) during the translation of italian rom for the mui files that resides in directory I edited also a file (simply with Supered) that has a line that pointed to the 0410 files (ea. italian) and changed this to 409.

----

For step 9) / 10) about keyboard, you must add with a oem package also:
- dictionary in your language
- settings for your language
- t9 dictionary for your language
- for keyboard layout make this registry mod:

Code:
Registry Editor:
HKCU >> ControlPanel >> Keybd
Create a string "Locale" with "0410" vale. Everything without "

Where 0410 is your country value.

Next days I'll try to release an

Ciao

Last edited:

phsnake

May 25, 2006
GB
Acer Iconia A500
LG Watch Urbane
thats what i wrote above, as far as i know(consulted with bepe) 17913 build its not supported(latest uni) it must be build ???? i remember there is 4 in build no. cannot fint irc log with that conv. with bepe

therealholg

Jan 15, 2006
Hi and thanks for your tutorial. I try to go a different way and want to port over a hermes mui cab to get german wm6. i have some trouble of getting it done.
- the file explorer draws no softkeybar, so it is not usable. does anyone know what files i need therefore?
- the free space when installing a cab isn't displayed correctly

what have i done?
- i took the cab from asukal and removed hermes specific things
- afterwards i copy the files from the emulator image to get newest versions of the files.

if somebody want to test it - here you go:
http://www.gsm-multifund.de/holg/Making_German_Wizard.cab

i would appreciate every help.
best greetings
holg

Last edited:

therealholg

Jan 15, 2006
i tried a newer rom and also got no luck with the file explorer. does anybody know what file is responsible for translating the file explorer?

Tna

I think that he has found the file. The problem is about the softkey .

Try using reshack tool (it can be found in most kitchens) and open the mui file. search for the softkey

But yet I am not sure ...

therealholg

Jan 15, 2006
yeah thanks for the suggestions
i personally like the build in filexplorer, cause it is fast and has softkey control, it's good if you just browse and open a file.

filesys.exe.0407.mui is already inserted in windows directory, so i will test with reshack,but at the moment i am a little busy.

Sep 10, 2006
Doubt about Files

Hi people

About the translation... i have one question.
After doing the "IMGFSTODUMP IMGFS.BIN" command, and all files are in the Dump Directory... besides the files with 4xx names, there are also some folders with 4xx names... and inside those folders are some files also with 4xx names.
Do i have to rename the folders and the files inside those folders, or just the files... or just the folders.
And one thing more... for example the folder "bbcbres.dll.0816.mui" inside these folder, one of the files called "imageinfo.txt".. inside this txt there's something written on the first line : " Module name: bbcbres.dll.0816.mui" if i have to change the name of the file inside the folder called "bbcbres.dll.0816.mui".... do i have to change this line also inside the txt ???

Thanks

4irm

Apr 24, 2007
Sydney
how about the hardware keyboard? because I am on a German MDA Vario, Wizard of course, since we are using QWERTZ instead of QWERTY?

Will this be fixed automatically as well?

Cheers.

Tna

Hi people

About the translation... i have one question.
After doing the "IMGFSTODUMP IMGFS.BIN" command, and all files are in the Dump Directory... besides the files with 4xx names, there are also some folders with 4xx names... and inside those folders are some files also with 4xx names.
Do i have to rename the folders and the files inside those folders, or just the files... or just the folders.
And one thing more... for example the folder "bbcbres.dll.0816.mui" inside these folder, one of the files called "imageinfo.txt".. inside this txt there's something written on the first line : " Module name: bbcbres.dll.0816.mui" if i have to change the name of the file inside the folder called "bbcbres.dll.0816.mui".... do i have to change this line also inside the txt ???

Thanks

You have to change all the *0816*. There is no need to change the folders al long as you rename the *.816* files that are included in those folders. There is no need to change the imageinfo since your are not going to replace the original one.

After renaming All the files (including the language files inside the folders) then you shoud copy only THESE files to your dumped ROM .