[APP][2.2+][ROOT] AppSync v1.0.3

Search This thread

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
!!! AppSync requires a rooted device !!!

About
AppSync syncs your apps data over your local network from one Android device to another. Devices will find each other using multicast (just like UPnP/DLNA).

Features
- Syncing apps data over local network
- Auto-detection of devices in network
- Comparing hashes and timestamps of app data
- All communication is encrypted
- (Pro) No ads

Future Features
- Transfer APK [v1.1]
- Background Discoverability [v1.1]
- Sync over Bluetooth [v1.2]
- Shortcuts [v1.2]
- (Pro) Sync over NFC [v1.3]
- (Pro) PC App (Win/Linux/Mac) for backups over local network [tbd]
- (Pro) Cloud Sync (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) [tbd]

Pro version
As mentioned above, the Pro version removes ads and will give you more features in future. Purchasing it will support me and help me investing more time into projects like this.

Known Bugs
- v1.0: WhatsApp does not work, this will be fixed in v1.1
- v1.0: Connectivity issues, this will be fixed in v1.1

Change Log
v1.0.3) hotfix: fix ads
v1.0.2) hotfix: fix force closes
v1.0.1) hotfix: fix "tools not found" and force closes on start
v1.0) initial release

Download

Videos
Review by wwjoshdew

Last edited:

Delta25

Dec 31, 2010
awesome!!!
just what i needed to sync apps and angry birds levels between me and my brother :)

yogevx

Oct 11, 2011
doesnt work with whatsapp... its wipe the app data...
working with anothers apps
its a good application and good luck

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
@nelsdzyre You can use this app to save your app data on another device and see this as a backup. If you want to do a backup using a single device you would need something like a backup tool like TitaniumBackup. If a backup succeeds depends on the app you want to backup because some apps encrypt their data with a device specific key so this will not work but maybe a local backup using TitaniumBackup will.

@yogevx this may be a limitation by WhatsApp, does syncing WhatsApps data work if you try to push the app data manually using TitaniumBackup or any similiar backup tools?

Last edited:

yogevx

Oct 11, 2011
@yogevx this may be a limitation by WhatsApp, does syncing WhatsApps data work if you try to push the app data manually using TitaniumBackup or any similiar backup tools?

yes, work with titanium backup, but push app+data.. i didnt try to push only the data
edit: try now and its working with TB (only push data)

Last edited:

littleemp

May 18, 2011
Great app! 10/10

Was wondering if on future updates you could add some functionality to not only share App data, but apps themselves? I find myself having to manually pull the apk for Whatsapp from my phone using TiBu every time I want to update Whatsapp on my WiFi Tablet and thought this would help alleviate those issues. :laugh:

mcmb03

Feb 24, 2011
I was discussing this with a friend last week. I just added it to my list :good:

the only risk to consider is "piracy" .. you may want to consider some sort of google acct authentication or something similar so ppl cant just share any app with anyone.. you'll run into some major legal issues

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
@mcmb03 piracy was one of our discussion points but since apps aren't saved in a "special" location anymore and even paid apps can be moved to sdcard without rooting but are protected using some kind of license verification like Google's LVL (License Verification Library), this is not a problem and especially no legal issue.

You can share any app with anyone as soon as you root your device. But your friend will not be able to run it, because paid apps have built in license verification libraries.

tl;dr: No piracy possible without modifying (e.g. hacking) paid apps.

xebozone

Jun 14, 2009
TF201 (Stock) ICS
HD2 (Typhoon CM7 3.8.8) Gingerbread

Both using the same sync key.

The HD2 finds the TF201.
The TF201 struggles to find the HD2 sometimes. A closing and re-opening of the app is needed.

Sync from the HD2 to TF201:
  1. Click on TF201. The TF201 displays the big AppSync logo.
  2. The list of apps on the TF201 appear. Nice.
  3. Tried "Cut the Rope" and "Wold of Goo" push from HD2 to TF201.
  4. Failed.
  5. Drops back to the device selection screen on both devices.

Sync from the TF201 to HD2:
If the HD2 appears (it usually doesn't)
  1. Click on HD2. The HD2 displays the big AppSync logo.
  2. The list of apps on the HD2 appear.
  3. Tried several games push from HD2 to TF201.
  4. Sync Done appears, but nothing actually works.

1. Tried push from TF201 to HD2 (Hungry Shark).
  2. Failed.
  3. Drops back to the device selection screen on both devices.

Bug 1: The screen turned off as I clicked HD2. When I turned the screen back on, the listening for device screen appeared on the HD2. On the TF201, the apps list still stayed. When clicking on an app, "an unknown error occurred" followed by a "connection timed out" error. The app doesn't like the screen turning off. It seems to drop the connection when this occurs.

Bug 2: On the HD2, the TF201 appears multiple times. Each time it goes back to the device selection screen after a sync failed, it adds another device. Same name, same IP address. Clicking each one had the same functionality. An annoying bug, The same issue happened on the TF201 when the sync failed. Getting devices to connect to each other (I think after clicking on the other device) removes some, if not all the multiple entries.

Overall, the app did not work for me, but a good idea. This app has great potential.
Automatic sync of selected apps would be awesome, and more intuitive icons than >> and << . I need to click them to see what they do, and I think on ICS, they may be swapped around.

Last edited:

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
@xebozone thank you very much for your detailed report, I will have a look into this asap and include the fix in next version. :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    !!! AppSync requires a rooted device !!!

About
    AppSync syncs your apps data over your local network from one Android device to another. Devices will find each other using multicast (just like UPnP/DLNA).

Features
    - Syncing apps data over local network
    - Auto-detection of devices in network
    - Comparing hashes and timestamps of app data
    - All communication is encrypted
    - (Pro) No ads

Future Features
    - Transfer APK [v1.1]
    - Background Discoverability [v1.1]
    - Sync over Bluetooth [v1.2]
    - Shortcuts [v1.2]
    - (Pro) Sync over NFC [v1.3]
    - (Pro) PC App (Win/Linux/Mac) for backups over local network [tbd]
    - (Pro) Cloud Sync (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) [tbd]

Pro version
    As mentioned above, the Pro version removes ads and will give you more features in future. Purchasing it will support me and help me investing more time into projects like this.

Known Bugs
    - v1.0: WhatsApp does not work, this will be fixed in v1.1
    - v1.0: Connectivity issues, this will be fixed in v1.1

Change Log
    v1.0.3) hotfix: fix ads
    v1.0.2) hotfix: fix force closes
    v1.0.1) hotfix: fix "tools not found" and force closes on start
    v1.0) initial release

Download

Videos
    Review by wwjoshdew
    NFC sounds interesting since it's quick and easy to use. I'll keep that in mind and start looking around for another NFC device for testing since my only NFC device at this time is my Galaxy Nexus.
    Now this is what I call an app. My drag racing will never be lost again. You got my support on this one!
    Your method seems to make it SO MUCH simpler, easier, and is a true "sync". So yeah, you're freaking awesome. Would you like a video? :D
    Hell yeah! That would be so awesome! :victory:

BTW, THIS is how I found your thread!
    Thx for the hint, Jordan just got a new fan :good:
    @optiknerv please send me a PM or email with screenshots of your app lists of both devices and the AppSync screen :)