Flash Now TV Box with Roku LT firmware?

Search This thread

legend474

Mar 6, 2011
London
I had a look around the forums and couldn't find any information about this and was quite surprised to be honest.

Now TV Box: sorry, cant post links, but you can google it. It costs £9.99 as opposed to £35-49 for the Roku LT.

Already known that you can side load the Plex app for the Roku, but most people would wonder if someone can flash Roku firmware on this.

As far as I know, this Now TV Box is a rebranded Roku LT box with locked down interface.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe this is not doable or maybe no one can be bothered.

I am confident that someone will be able to do it with JTAG interface, but I am wondering if it might be possible to get flashed using the dev mode and some sort of script.

So the main question is, do you know if someone is trying to flash this box or not.

Reactions: pat da punk

pickup9785

Jun 21, 2010
Hi, not much help, but I was wondering the same thing, I have picked one of those up and would certainly like to turn it into a fully fledged Roku box.

I can understand why Sky have limited the box, but the amount of limit they have put on is a bit bad, the only way to install unofficial channels is as a zip, and I cannot find many zip files across the internet ?

Anybody have an sources for them ? Or anybody tried flashing this ? Does anybody have an official Roku that they could try and backup the firmware from, or is it somehow linked to the box ?

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

The other option may be a proxy which provides the official lt firmware as an update instead of the now tv one ?

Bradshort

May 30, 2010
Huawei P40 Pro
I too am playing with this box. Plex is set up but I have encountered a snag when installing plex onto my lmited NAS.

So am too wondering if this can be flashed or what other apps are available as Zips to sideload?

ibmonkey

Nov 17, 2010
Also wandering the exact same thing! Just got mine ordered today. It would be great to get it to be just like the normal roku as it sounds like they've limited the apps for it quite a bit.
Hopefully someone can figure this out!

pknut

Aug 1, 2013
NOWTV Developer access gone?

I have just got the NOWTV box and have tried to get developer access - so i set it up on thenow tv box and it told me it was enabling developer mode.
However i cannot access the developer webservice from pc browser and even ping won't detect the NowTV device.

I got it in the 1st August and it immediately updated itself - i wonder if they have removed this developer access page.

Anyone any ideas?

zingle

Feb 6, 2010
I have just got the NOWTV box and have tried to get developer access - so i set it up on thenow tv box and it told me it was enabling developer mode.
However i cannot access the developer webservice from pc browser and even ping won't detect the NowTV device.

I got it in the 1st August and it immediately updated itself - i wonder if they have removed this developer access page.

Anyone any ideas?

just installed mine got plex on before I put the net in due to your post lol however the update does not kill dev mode

bobmarleypeople

Apr 17, 2010
I got Plex on through the developer interface no problem, but I've not found many other apps out there available as source, so this method won't be very useful if you want things like Netflix, etc.

I've had a play about with the settings in the other secret menu (home x5, FF x3, RW x2) letting you change the channel store server and the software update server. The software update server can change from beta to release, but both just reinstall the same version. Changing the channel store server gives you 4 or 5 options, but only the main one actually work, the rest just return an error when you try to access the store, and in some cases the channels vanish from your home screen, so this wasn't helpful either.

What's worth mentioning is that, with traditional Roku LT boxes, you'd get a "link code" that you'd enter on the Roku website that lets you send channels from their website to the box, among other things. This NOW TV box didn't offer that code at all.

One last thing, in that secret menu I mentioned before. At the bottom of the info dump on the left, it ends with Uptime in minutes, followed by "unregistered". I'm curious what this means. Could be something to do with the Now TV subscription, not sure. If anyone has a NOW TV subscription, could you see if this says "registered" or something else?

Reactions: richard-ski

furblefox

Feb 2, 2008
Nope

One last thing, in that secret menu I mentioned before. At the bottom of the info dump on the left, it ends with Uptime in minutes, followed by "unregistered". I'm curious what this means. Could be something to do with the Now TV subscription, not sure. If anyone has a NOW TV subscription, could you see if this says "registered" or something else?

I'm afraid not, I have a now TV package and it still shows as 'unregistered'. I suspect this is where it would say registered if the Roku box was linked to the Roku website, but as theres no link code... :/

bobmarleypeople

Apr 17, 2010
I'm afraid not, I have a now TV package and it still shows as 'unregistered'. I suspect this is where it would say registered if the Roku box was linked to the Roku website, but as theres no link code... :/

Thanks a lot. If you're right, I'm wondering if the capability to generate and display a link code is still available on the device, only hidden. If there is, there may be a way to get the online store to send non-Sky-authorised channels onto the box without the need to change the firmware. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if the function to generate said code is hidden away from 3rd party channels. I'll keep having a play.

Reactions: richard-ski

Bouncer5

Jun 10, 2010
Glasgow
Now I don't own one, but if we can get this sorted I will be picking up a few.

Has anyone looked to see where the device tries to pull its updates from?
We could spoof a local server to delivery a standard Roku LT firmware to it instead. It see an update it does its install and bang. £10 Roku LT box.

Reactions: erica_c40

scibot

Mar 31, 2007
Tipton
Here is some info I found relating to the ROKU Netflix Branded box, sounds like a similar sort of affair.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ecc/roku-nfp.html

A Signing key is needed. Not that this is a complete dead end, im sure that something can be hacked into place here. Its just a matter of the right people getting hold of the hardware. We can already run executables. Do executables not have the rights to 'root' the box?

I know fudge all about Roku development, so dont shoot me down in flames please. :)

Sci.

[Edit: This guy wanted to 'change the firmware' - if we use this method with official firmware, maybe the key is the same and it would work?]

Last edited:

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
You can register a new account on the first form page of buying and simply close the second page asking for payment details.

Some anonymous Roku dev might be able to release a sideloadable Roku OS for this box?

speculatrix

Mar 7, 2006
Cambridge
I've been trying to hack the communication between the nowtv box and its servers using a mix of redirection on the firewall and burpsuite; like others I want to see if I block sw updates and then get it to download standard Roku firmware.

Reactions: 6ix and ibmonkey

ibmonkey

Nov 17, 2010
I've been trying to hack the communication between the nowtv box and its servers using a mix of redirection on the firewall and burpsuite; like others I want to see if I block sw updates and then get it to download standard Roku firmware.

No luck I'm guessing yet then?
Have you discovered anything that could be handy for others attempting this?

Good luck btw!

spikeeee

Jan 1, 2007
Looking at the PCB, it seems that it is a depopulated board, its all marked out for the USB and everything else that is removed (see images below, sorry not my images). Though it does like its more than just the USB connection, it looks like some SM resistors and other bits are missing as well :(

ROKU LT board

Roku-2-Teardown-Top.png

NowTV Board

nowtv_boxHD_05_displaywatermarked1v3.jpg

Close up of USB area

nowtv_boxHD_04_displaywatermarked1v3.jpg

Reactions: sifer69 and wozhere

Whiterat

Jun 20, 2006
andeq r0, r0, r0
Where do I start...

With regard to tricking the LT firmware onto it (which was my plan) this does appear to be a no-go.

It makes an HTTPS request out to Roku for what I imagine is some kind of manifest/xml which dictates what the latest firmware is and some kind of hash to verify it.
The box will then download the firmware over HTTP (yay I thought..) so dnsmasq to the ready I renamed the LT (aka giga/024) image, it downloads it but fails to verify (error 006).

The firmware images themselves still require a lot of investigation, uboot and a kernel are in there plain (as you would expect) but the main filesystem is still to be found - after routing through the GPL pages it would appear to still be cramfs with different magic, but even then this isn't visible in the firmware so most probably encrypted.

(#define CRAMFS_MAGIC 0x28cd3d47 /* cramfs as modified by Roku */)

Encrypted by what?
Again judging by the roku GPL source, they store a 16byte aes key within the Broadcom Videocore - I can't envisage this being easy to recover without userland access.

(static unsigned char aes_k[16];
vc_otp_read(46, 4, aes_k);)

Random Info:
Windsor does appear to be the codename for this box (makes sense for a british product I guess), other code names are giga, paolo, jackson and austin.
Mapping them out is not so straight forward though, the below is likely wrong:

ID -- Codename -- Model
024 giga Roku LT
025 ??
034 paolo ??
045 austin Roku 3
??? jackson ??

Failed Ideas:
MITM (SSL is validated - as you'd expect)
Firmware Interception/Replacement
thttpd exploits

Ideas Still to Look into:
Generate SSL certificate with "api.qa-uat.roku" as a subject alternative name, cycle channel store server to that and see what we can see.
libzip exploit (dev package upload - possibly too much hard work tbh, would need to know the target binary well)
There is a 20 pin arm jtag header exposed on the board...

Reactions: wozhere

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
Maybe writing a Roku plugin/app that loads immediately upon start up and blocks the channel to Roku or similar constant/var place holders to stop the firmware update?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok,

So I removed the Roku 2 XD Nand and fitted it to the Now TV. It refuses to boot (dont even get the flashing LED to suggest firmware is loading). This suggests to me that uboot is either not booting or doing a check (key in OTP of the CPU vs firmware?) and refusing to boot the firmware. It could also be due to the lack of Bluetooth hardware (might work if I get an LT....)

Looks like next step is to get serial output and see whats actually happening (if possible).

I am now removing the CPU to trace out the above possible serial pins.

Edit:

I have removed the CPU and have a bunch of pictures to post - but I cant do that until I hit 10 posts apparently.
    by redirecting traffic to burpsuite I intercepted a call to download the firmware

GET /windsor/074.09E08061A HTTP/1.1
    Connection: close
    Host: firmware.roku.com
    User-Agent: Roku/DVP-4.9 (074.09E08022A)

you too can download it here: http://firmware.roku.com/windsor/074.09E08061A

so now I have a 41M file which, using strings, begins "imgARMcC" and
    has interesting things like "BCM95001" and "Starting ARM with %dMB
    ARM clock speed at %dMHz **** failed to power up the USB interface" in it.
    I have removed the nand chip from the Now TV and took a full dump. I also bought a Roku 2 XD and will be taking a full nand dump of this too, I will then reflash the now tv nand. I went with the XD as it supports 1080p and the only hardware difference is a microsd slot and the bluetooth (which are unpopulated on the now tv board).

The lack of microsd wont be a problem - as there is nothing connected when the slot is empty anyway. Hopefully the lack of bluetooth wont stop the XD firmware booting. If it does, I will get a LT - but I figured 1080p support was a nice upgrade.

There seems to be references to ttybcm0 in uboot, which also gives serial connection settings. I have the pinout of the BCM2835 (same as the raspberry pi) with the possible pins for serial (depending on how its configured).

BCM2835%20UART.png

I will probably remove the CPU and trace out these 3 combinations and try to get serial access. Assuming uboot isnt locked down, should be easy to flash from there.

Anybody want to soilder a USB port onto the space? See if we can't sideload something on it?

That wont work, the USB controller is missing. The higher end rokus have a chip that handles USB and Ethernet - the SMSC LAN9512-JZX. This is a "Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Hub and High-Performance 10/100 Ethernet Controller". Without that chip (and the missing supporting surface mount components) you wont get USB or ethernet, even if you do solder in the port.

That is a Roku 2 XS board, not a Roku LT. The LT board is the same as the Now TV board - i.e. a bunch of unpopulated parts.
    YAY Root shell :laugh:

UART PIN:
    Reset GND
    3.19V 5V (Supply voltage)
    RX 3.16V
    0V TX
    GND GND
    N/C 0V 3.16V
    3.16V 3.16V
    3.16V 3.16V
    3.03V 3.16V
    3.19V 3.16V