how to get the htc one m8 back to s-on

Search This thread

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
Hello Bro, i here to share my experience,
I locked my bootloader, stock rom, stock recovery. i forgotten to S-on back, they reject warranty claimed. Once i S-on, they accept back repair now :)
so step are here bro
STEP 1: Restore your stock nandroid rom and perform factory reset
STEP 2: Flash Stock Recovery.img
STEP 3: LOCKED bootloader, make sure you are LOCKED not RELOCKED
STEP 4: FLASH STOCK HBOOT, If you not sure about HBOOT, means you did not modify any of it. if you modify to remove red sign/text, please kindly flash back original HBOOT
FINAL STEP: Fastboot oem writesecureflag 3
YOU ARE ALL BACK TO STOCK, WARRANTY CLAIMED GRANTED XD

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Hey Trell,
LOCKED BOOTLOADER AFTER U RESTORE ORIGNAL ROM and RECOVERY!!
IN ORDER FOR YOU TO LOCKED BOOTLOADER, U NEED TO S-OFF FIRST. THEN RUN THIS COMMAND
BELOW LINK:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708571

Then proceed flash Stock Hboot if you have modify before and S-ON it back bro
HBOOT GUIDE:
Place the zip in your fastboot/adb directory on your computer.
Put the device in fastboot mode
(Volume down and power until menu appears, select fastboot using power button)
Connect the device to the computer
Enter the following commands from terminal/command prompt in the fastboot directory, one at a time:
fastboot oem rebootRUU (this puts the device in RUU mode)
fastboot flash zip filename_hboot.zip (this flashes the modified hboot zip file)

Important: the flash process halts at around 75% to 90% on phone screen! This is normal and a safety precaution!
The last few percent is the reboot, which is NOT happening automatically, so you get a chance to check the console output before reboot to make sure it is safe to reboot!
The bar will only fill up to 100% once you type the following command:

fastboot reboot-bootloader (this reboots the device to bootloader)

then u are ready to S-ON with this Fastboot oem writesecureflag 3
Hey thanks. How did you lock your bootloader in step 3?

treIII

Jul 10, 2012
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6
In order to lock the boot loader does it require root? If so my son's phone is not rooted. This is what I don't understand. When running the command to kick the boot loader it says we need a # prompt or to enter su. I cannot do this because his phone is not rooted.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

FxJohnnyEng

May 25, 2012
In order to lock the boot loader does it require root? If so my son's phone is not rooted. This is what I don't understand. When running the command to kick the boot loader it says we need a # prompt or to enter su. I cannot do this because his phone is not rooted.

@gustav30 @treIII

Guys, In order to lock bootloader, all you need is S-OFF.

to LOCK your bootloader,enter the following:
USE CMD
adb devices
adb shell
su (if needed to get a # prompt)
echo -ne '\x00\x00\x00\x00' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 bs=1 seek=33796
(i would very strongly recomend you copy/paste this)

exit
(exit a second time if you need to to get back to a normal > prompt)

adb reboot bootloader

verify you are now locked

Reactions: gustav30 and treIII

treIII

Jul 10, 2012
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6
I did all of these things and my h boot still says software status modified. Bootloader says locked. Not relocked. Also says s-on. How do I get rid of software status modified

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
@gustav30 @treIII

USE CMD
adb devices
adb shell

exit

adb reboot bootloader

And just double checking its OK to run fastboot oem writesecureflag 3 to turn phone back to S-ON after locking phone with the above? (for warranty purpose)

treIII

Jul 10, 2012
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6
Did a factory reset and phone still says software status modified

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Now sunshine doesn't work. It can't gain temporary root. Can I get rid of the software status modified? Now I'm s on and boot loader is locked.

nuxbag

Aug 19, 2009
Sliver Spring, MD
Did a factory reset and phone still says software status modified

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Now sunshine doesn't work. It can't gain temporary root. Can I get rid of the software status modified? Now I'm s on and boot loader is locked.

Run the ruu for your current version.

Reactions: treIII

nuxbag

Aug 19, 2009
Sliver Spring, MD
Last edited:

spinninbsod

May 17, 2013
new york city
One of the commands is su you need to be rooted to have access to that command so answer yes you do need to be rooted just boot a custom recovery not flash just type in cmd fastboot boot recoveryname.IMG download an SuperSU flashable zip and flash it in custom recovery

treIII

Jul 10, 2012
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6
Run the ruu for your current version.

I'd like to thank you. Running an RUU for current software version is working just fine. I thought phone had to be s off. But I suppose that's just for downgrading etc... Thank you very much. Now to let it finish and see if the software status modified is gone. I'd say it will be because you seemed confident.

Went perfect. Software Status is official. Thank you very much

Last edited:

nuxbag

Aug 19, 2009
Sliver Spring, MD
I'd like to thank you. Running an RUU for current software version is working just fine. I thought phone had to be s off. But I suppose that's just for downgrading etc... Thank you very much. Now to let it finish and see if the software status modified is gone. I'd say it will be because you seemed confident.

I'm just helping with you're current issue. You are s on now there's nothing else you can do.

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Went perfect. Software Status is official. Thank you very much

Cool. Always ruu before s on.

treIII

Jul 10, 2012
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6
I would have ruu back to the version that sunshine worked on. That way you s off again when you get it back. Assuming they send you the same phone, and not a replacement.

Maybe they will update sunshine. But he used sunshine and never rooted the phone and never altered anything. He just wanted s off in case he ever did. But he took all the updates. I didn't think of downgrading. I'll Learn the hard way. But at least he's getting his screen repaired.

nuxbag

Aug 19, 2009
Sliver Spring, MD
Maybe they will update sunshine. But he used sunshine and never rooted the phone and never altered anything. He just wanted s off in case he ever did. But he took all the updates. I didn't think of downgrading. I'll Learn the hard way. But at least he's getting his screen repaired.

Well its really bull$#it to be denied a screen replacement because of software status. software didn't brake to screen.

Reactions: treIII

FxJohnnyEng

May 25, 2012
I did all of these things and my h boot still says software status modified. Bootloader says locked. Not relocked. Also says s-on. How do I get rid of software status modified

SORRY MISSING IN ACTION XDA LAST COUPLE OF DAYS
IF YOUR PHONE NO STOCK ROM, NO STOCK HBOOT, NO S-ON, NO STOCK RECOVERY, NO LOCKED,
YOU WILL NEVER CLAIMED UR PHONE WARRANTY, THEY WILL SAY U ROOT THE PHONE CAUSE THE SYSTEM BOARD SPOILED, IT WILL BE CHARGEABLE FOR THE REPAIR, SO BEWARE. @gustav30 @trelll

EVEN IF UR PHONE BEEN REPAIR FROM 3rd party, WARRANTY VOID AS WELL, SO BASICALLY UNLOCK BOOTLOADER MEAN WARRANTY VOID LOL
SOURCE: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3192397

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
SORRY MISSING IN ACTION XDA LAST COUPLE OF DAYS
IF YOUR PHONE NO STOCK ROM, NO STOCK HBOOT, NO S-ON, NO STOCK RECOVERY, NO LOCKED,
YOU WILL NEVER CLAIMED UR PHONE WARRANTY, THEY WILL SAY U ROOT THE PHONE CAUSE THE SYSTEM BOARD SPOILED, IT WILL BE CHARGEABLE FOR THE REPAIR, SO BEWARE. @gustav30 @trelll

EVEN IF UR PHONE BEEN REPAIR FROM 3rd party, WARRANTY VOID AS WELL, SO BASICALLY UNLOCK BOOTLOADER MEAN WARRANTY VOID LOL
SOURCE: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3192397

Your capslock has serious issues ! :eek:

Reactions: gstanke

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi there,

i have searched along the internet a lot time ago and i cant find guide to: how to get back my htc one m8 from s-off to s-on.

if there is a such guide, i would be happy to use it :)

fastboot oem writesecureflag 3
    @EddyOS: I know, you must hate me, I keep asking you the same questions in different threads. :p

Why everything stock? Isn't it enough to revert those things protected by the security flag back to stock? (e.g. radio) One can have a custom ROM, recovery and unlocked bootloader staying S-ON, the phone is fine with that, so why should it be important to revert those things to stock?

Thanks. :)
    @an0ther: I'm not sure I understand what you said. You mean that even if you reset everything to stock (including s-on and the "tampered" banner) HTC will still be able to read another internal "tampered" flag? Or what else?
    @EddyOS: thanks, so you are basically saying I am correct, and reverting everything to stock is a precaution to make sure nothing (like the HBOOT) has been forgotten, right?

Yes. If you're certain it's stock then go ahead. Just remember you have been warned so on your head be it ;)

@gustav30 @treIII

USE CMD
    adb devices
    adb shell

exit

adb reboot bootloader

...it can possibly brick the phone

@EddyOS: I know, you must hate me, I keep asking you the same questions in different threads. :p

Why everything stock? Isn't it enough to revert those things protected by the security flag back to stock? (e.g. radio) One can have a custom ROM, recovery and unlocked bootloader staying S-ON, the phone is fine with that, so why should it be important to revert those things to stock?

Thanks. :)

Don't ask me why it's just a lot of people have managed to brick their phone cause they've had a custom HBOOT (to remove the red writing), forgot it and bricked the phone