[MOD] CyanogenMod 11 on Verizon S4 in GSM mode (AT&T/T-Mobile)

Search This thread

linuxthinker

Aug 3, 2010
Did you use the vruemk2 or the other one? I just did that one, but it was not the non-hlos. I read that you should only flash the non-hlos modem that matches your boot loader. I'm on mdk boot loader.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My understanding (according to the main CM11 thread) is that rule only applies for stock. I used the MK2 non-hlos+modem.

Reactions: arlissnd

arlissnd

Mar 11, 2013
Did you get it from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2487298

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Are you on mdk boot loader? Would you possibly have a link to where you got it? I appreciate your help!

linuxthinker

Aug 3, 2010

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Are you on mdk boot loader? Would you possibly have a link to where you got it? I appreciate your help!

Yeah, I got it from that thread. I'm using the MK2 non-hlos + modem from there.

arlissnd

Mar 11, 2013
OK. Just to be clear... You are on mdk boot loader and you flashed mk2 non-hlos zip and also the mk2 modem? One after the other ?

arlissnd

Mar 11, 2013
Thanks again. It was a little confusing to me as I was reading the posts. In going to try it now.

I just flashed it and got an improvement on speed test. Still no 4g LTE. But I will try messing with settings again in the morning. AT&T must not have AWS here yet.

Last edited:

jay876

Jan 28, 2014
CM11 is great, but the libraries it's got appears to be heavily targeted toward CDMA mode and less so GSM. If you're a traveler or want to use your device with AT&T/T-Mobile, you'll want to install this patch which loads the AT&T ril onto your device. Without it, I couldn't receive any incoming calls and calls I placed couldn't be hung up (I would be stuck at the "hanging up" screen).

This patch is just two files (libril-qc-qmi-1.so and libril.so) pulled from the AT&T version (jflteatt) of CM11 (specifically, this version: https://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/jenkins/53825/cm-11-20140104-SNAPSHOT-M2-jflteatt.zip).

I'm overseas right now, so I'm only able to test GSM mode, but it's working just fine for me now. If it's not enough for you, you might want to try the two other changes suggested here: https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/CYAN-2362

To summarize, they are:
  • Set telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=0 in /system/build.prop
  • loki_flash the jflteatt CWM with jfltevzw aboot - see here. Note that this is specific to MDK, so don't do this if you're on any other bootloader. Let me know if you want me to create a flashable version of this possible fix.

I didn't need to do either of these things to get it working for me, but you may need to do the first item if you want LTE (I'm currently in a country without LTE, so I can't test).

Flash this for GSM-optimized rils: View attachment 2559158
Flash this to revert to CDMA-optimized rils: View attachment 2559157

I tried the latest universal galaxy s4 nightly (feb 24 build) and still have my dialer hanging and being unable to receive calls when running cm 11. I'm just wondering do I need to flash the gsm zip for that build? I'm just being cautious.

Verizon Galaxy S4 (MDK + cwm recovery) on a GSM network.

arlissnd

Mar 11, 2013
I tried the latest universal galaxy s4 nightly (feb 24 build) and still have my dialer hanging and being unable to receive calls when running cm 11. I'm just wondering do I need to flash the gsm zip for that build? I'm just being cautious.

Verizon Galaxy S4 (MDK + cwm recovery) on a GSM network.

I flashed the gsm zip and it fixed my problem.

arlissnd

Mar 11, 2013
I've seen in a lot of other forums that many, many people are having exact problem. I searched for like 3 hours the other day before I found this. I am very thankful for this thread!

linuxthinker

Aug 3, 2010
Do you get the 4g LTE icons on the status bar? I just get H+, but I get decent speed, almost 8mbps down.

I was using it in a country without LTE, so the best I got was H+.

Unless you're using AT&T in an area with AWS expansion or T-Mobile, the best you're going to get in the US is H+. The VZW S4 only does LTE on 750/AWS. AT&T operates on 700/AWS and T-Mobile is all-AWS.

Last edited:

arlissnd

Mar 11, 2013
I was using it in a country without LTE, so the best I got was H+.

Unless you're using AT&T in an area with AWS expansion or T-Mobile, the best you're going to get in the US is H+. The VZW S4 only does LTE on 750/AWS. AT&T operates on 700/AWS and T-Mobile is all-AWS.

Good to know.

65vdub

Feb 28, 2014
Long Beach
I can send texts but not receive them, any ideas? I just switched to T-Mobile like an hour ago. I added the U to the ro.telephony.ril.v3 line and also flashed the gsm zip in the op. And rebooted, LTE and calling work as well as sending SMS. I just can't receive SMS.

Mystique

Oct 1, 2010
Hello all,

Has anyone used this recently?

I have the exact problems using 'more up to date' M7.

Since they have moved to a unified build I would have thought this to be a non-issue; but that is not the case.

Any idea on what should be done for a M7 or modern unified build?

linuxthinker

Aug 3, 2010
Hello all,

Has anyone used this recently?

I have the exact problems using 'more up to date' M7.

Since they have moved to a unified build I would have thought this to be a non-issue; but that is not the case.

Any idea on what should be done for a M7 or modern unified build?

I haven't tried doing this since the switch to the unified build. I'm pretty busy this week, but I'll see if I can figure out how they're switching radios between the AT&T and Verizon versions and see if we can trigger that manually. Probably won't be able to look at this until this weekend.

Mystique

Oct 1, 2010
I've been running the GPE (Google Play Edition) of 4.4.3 on my S4 since the move to AT&T..

I'll get some time and try the build prop tweak and see what that does.

I opened the M7 zip and one of the libraries is not in there anymore..

So maybe the build prop is what I was missing..

Mystique

Oct 1, 2010
So, post #13 is what the new fix is.

Except, that brings a new problem of all incoming calls are prefixed with a +

So trying to respond via Sms or even a call back, results in a formatting error and an unsuccessful communication attempt.

But, post 13 totally gets incoming calls going and the phone hanging up properly.

Sigh

roboots21

Aug 25, 2010
So, post #13 is what the new fix is.

Except, that brings a new problem of all incoming calls are prefixed with a +

So trying to respond via Sms or even a call back, results in a formatting error and an unsuccessful communication attempt.

But, post 13 totally gets incoming calls going and the phone hanging up properly.

Sigh

Use Prefixer from the Play Store to remove the +. Works perfectly once you set it up.

Reactions: Mystique

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CM11 is great, but the libraries it's got appears to be heavily targeted toward CDMA mode and less so GSM. If you're a traveler or want to use your device with AT&T/T-Mobile, you'll want to install this patch which loads the AT&T ril onto your device. Without it, I couldn't receive any incoming calls and calls I placed couldn't be hung up (I would be stuck at the "hanging up" screen).

This patch is just two files (libril-qc-qmi-1.so and libril.so) pulled from the AT&T version (jflteatt) of CM11 (specifically, this version: https://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/jenkins/53825/cm-11-20140104-SNAPSHOT-M2-jflteatt.zip).

I'm overseas right now, so I'm only able to test GSM mode, but it's working just fine for me now. If it's not enough for you, you might want to try the two other changes suggested here: https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/CYAN-2362

To summarize, they are:
    • Set telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=0 in /system/build.prop
    • loki_flash the jflteatt CWM with jfltevzw aboot - see here. Note that this is specific to MDK, so don't do this if you're on any other bootloader. Let me know if you want me to create a flashable version of this possible fix.

I didn't need to do either of these things to get it working for me, but you may need to do the first item if you want LTE (I'm currently in a country without LTE, so I can't test).

Flash this for GSM-optimized rils: View attachment jfltevzw-gsm-0.2.zip
    Flash this to revert to CDMA-optimized rils: View attachment jfltevzw-cdma-0.2.zip
    With the latest comment on the linked Jira thread (and a correct APN), I think that I have an AT&T SIM working in my Verizon S4 without this mod. Does anyone else have this experience? (I should note that I flashed the GSM zip from OP three days ago, but I have since wiped, installed Hyperdrive ROM, wiped again, and reinstalled CM11 without flashing the GSM zip.)

noobnl said:
    add this line to your cdma ril ro.telephony.ril.v3=newDriverCallU

To clarify, here's what I did:

1. Wipe data and cache.
    2. Install latest CM11 nightly and gapps.
    3. Boot and confirm that everything is working.
    4. Add the letter "U" to the build.prop line that said "ro.telephony.ril.v3=newDriverCall" by default.
    5. Reboot and confirm that Verizon LTE still works.
    6. Power off, insert AT&T SIM, power on.
    7. Choose LTE/WCDMA/GSM in Mobile Network settings and select a working APN.
    8. Get H or H+ icon in signal bars and use speed test to confirm the blazing fast 0.10M down, 0.13M up.
    9. Place call to my Verizon number, check voicemail, and hang up normally (I didn't get stuck at "hanging up").
    10. Place test call from Skype to AT&T number, pick it up on the S4, and hang up from the S4 normally.

Thanks!
    I am very grateful for this! I searched and searched for days for a way to fix my dialer not letting me hang up a call after switching to Straight Talk AT&T. Now if I could only figure out how to get 4g LTE instead of just H+, I would do backflips! I appreciate your post immensely!

Are you using the latest (MK2) radios? Those should get you LTE if AT&T has refarmed AWS LTE in your area.
    Did you use the vruemk2 or the other one? I just did that one, but it was not the non-hlos. I read that you should only flash the non-hlos modem that matches your boot loader. I'm on mdk boot loader.

My understanding (according to the main CM11 thread) is that rule only applies for stock. I used the MK2 non-hlos+modem.

Yeah, I got it from that thread. I'm using the MK2 non-hlos + modem from there.