[DEV][TOOL][BRICKPROOF]TF300 NVFlash release!

Search This thread

Blubberor

Dec 1, 2010
only when you already have setup your device for nvflash PRIOR to your brick, otherwise Asus is the only one who can help you.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Okay on to the next question! Got APX to work in windows and ran "wheelie --blob blob.bin." Now says "Done - your device should no be ready for nvflash." TF300 says "Entering NvFlash recovery mode / Nv3P Server, Chip UID, !!!! device update sucess!!!!" Tried to run "nvflash --resume --rawdeviceread 0 2944 bricksafe.img" but now I get " 'nvflash' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." Get same results with all commands that start with "nvflash." What am I doing wrong?

do you use the right nvflash executable? I used the wrong one before as there are many different versions around...

iluvamk

Dec 28, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Windows. Downloaded windows package with the 4 files in it and placed them on c drive. Running commands from folder with files. Wheelie runs fine. There is a flash.cfg file. Would that be it instead of nvflash?

EDIT: Such an IDIOT!! Forgot to but nvflash binaries in my folder. DUH!

Sent from my Sourcerized Battle Droid

Last edited:

padest.com

Sep 12, 2012
After a hard day of extra testing, we're proud to announce Nvflash for TF300.

This release allows unlocked devices to create a set of device-specific files that lets you access nvflash.

Once the procedure is done, you will always be able to recover any software brick (even bootloader!) as long as you keep your files safe!

NOTE:
  • THIS REQUIRES A NON-BRICKED AND UNLOCKED DEVICE. IT WON'T WORK ON ALREADY BRICKED DEVICES
  • THIS ONLY WORKS IF YOU HAVE A PRE-JB BOOTLOADER

More details at http://androidroot.mobi/?p=480

Important note: License: Due to the nature of wheelie and the importance of people always using the latest version, Wheelie is NOT redistributable! You are allowed to download it and use it, but you are not allowed to redistribute it in any way - this means no GUI's including it, no reposting zips/tar.gz's and similar! At a later date, we will be releasing our source code and relicense it as GPL.

Enjoy
- AndroidRoot.Mobi Team

NOTE: If anyone wishes to donate, http://androidroot.mobi/donations/ is place to do it! DO NOT DONATE DIRECTLY TO ME.

I don't know how to unbrick my TF300T.
I read this guide nvflash, i think it just tell me how to back-up the important factory files to blob data.
How can i restore them???

Does anyone know how to?
I don't know how to use nvflash...:(

lilstevie

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2009
I don't know how to unbrick my TF300T.
I read this guide nvflash, i think it just tell me how to back-up the important factory files to blob data.
How can i restore them???

Does anyone know how to?
I don't know how to use nvflash...:(

The first point in the big red note states that you need to be in a working state to start this, nvflash requires unique information per-device to work. To get this your device needs to be in a working state, only after you have this information are you brickproof.

abe_cedar

May 23, 2011
Houston
bootloader

Hi guys
Is there a way to flash jb and go back to ics using this tool wo making blob files just using a special bootloader?
I am not even sure such a bootloader exits. XploDWild mentioned trying to get a way to have both ics and jb ready to flash.
Thanks

mikeseguin

Sep 24, 2010
Gatineau
i really don't understand the purpose of this tool, if the requirements are to have a non-bricked tablet and fastboot, why do i need this, if i have fastboot (which i don't) i could just flash a recovery and flash a rom with fastboot and i'm good to go, can you guys try to make a tool for bricked tablets,? thanks for all your hard work :)

mikaole

Jan 14, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
1st: if you have this and you get bricked this will help you out. There is no known softbrick that NVflash can´t unbrick.
2nd: You can switch between ICS and JB Bootloader and Kernel as much as you like.

Only thing is you have to be on ICS bootloader and be unbricked to get it working the 1st time.

wideopn11

Jan 14, 2011
1st: if you have this and you get bricked this will help you out. There is no known softbrick that NVflash can´t unbrick.
2nd: You can switch between ICS and JB Bootloader and Kernel as much as you like.

Only thing is you have to be on ICS bootloader and be unbricked to get it working the 1st time.

I have working tf300 on ICS bootloader running CM10. I made all the backups and got NvFlash working. I saved all backups to multiple locations. Now I flashed some XYZ super ROM and got a softbrick.

?!?How do I use the files I backed up to restore my tablet to a working state?!?

Sent from my Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

supwiddiss

Jun 30, 2008
Nice Job!

I took the JB update(s). If I would have known it was JB at the time, I wouldn't have.

Since obviously many people are wise of the inner workings of Android code, I would like to request a bit of understanding of the inner workings of how an OTA update on our 300's works. The main confusion is that every place I look, to manipulate the code I must unlock the bootloader. Not a good thing at this time (I have other posts here).

Yet an OTA or supposedly higher build of downloaded firmware, which my updates so far have been OTA, will flash the system without unlocking the bootloader. Or does it temporarily unlock it to perform the task and when finished leave it in a locked state?

Is this what prevents us from reverting to a previous version of firmware? What steps does an update go through (OTA) that enables the bootloader and firmware to be modified, but prevents us from doing the same without permanently unlocking first?

And is this what prevents our trusty gurus from "wedging" in the install process to root, install modded firmware, etc? SparkyRoot worked on ICS but nuked in the JB update. I'm patiently waiting for a locked JB root, but have put my TF300T to rest for the most part because I cannot use the apps that requred root access.

Is there some secret that ASUS and others use to do the above things?

Could someone post an overview of what they think goes on during a factory released update that prevents everyone else from doing much of anything without a bootloader unlock and installing CWM or the like?

KAD79

Jul 8, 2012
I took the JB update(s). If I would have known it was JB at the time, I wouldn't have.

Since obviously many people are wise of the inner workings of Android code, I would like to request a bit of understanding of the inner workings of how an OTA update on our 300's works. The main confusion is that every place I look, to manipulate the code I must unlock the bootloader. Not a good thing at this time (I have other posts here).

Yet an OTA or supposedly higher build of downloaded firmware, which my updates so far have been OTA, will flash the system without unlocking the bootloader. Or does it temporarily unlock it to perform the task and when finished leave it in a locked state?

Is this what prevents us from reverting to a previous version of firmware? What steps does an update go through (OTA) that enables the bootloader and firmware to be modified, but prevents us from doing the same without permanently unlocking first?

And is this what prevents our trusty gurus from "wedging" in the install process to root, install modded firmware, etc? SparkyRoot worked on ICS but nuked in the JB update. I'm patiently waiting for a locked JB root, but have put my TF300T to rest for the most part because I cannot use the apps that requred root access.

Is there some secret that ASUS and others use to do the above things?

Could someone post an overview of what they think goes on during a factory released update that prevents everyone else from doing much of anything without a bootloader unlock and installing CWM or the like?

I'm not exactly sure, what goes on, but the clue's are probably inside this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1842517
hidden firmware update utility

mikaole

Jan 14, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Is the Tf300 NVflash working on the TF700?? Forget it, just saw the thread. Will try it.
Cause i am able to get back on the TF700 ICS on my TF300.
I think if I been able to make the needed Files with the TF700 ICS and then someone can give me the TF300 files it would possible to NVflash back to TF300.

Last edited:
I have working tf300 on ICS bootloader running CM10. I made all the backups and got NvFlash working. I saved all backups to multiple locations. Now I flashed some XYZ super ROM and got a softbrick.

?!?How do I use the files I backed up to restore my tablet to a working state?!?

\

I haven't had any issues yet, but a set of commands to use nvflash would be appreciated. I have successfully installed nvflash and have all my files backed up. I haven't tried messing around (outside of flipping between baked, skank and cm10) and will wait to until I know how to properly use the nvflash.

funnel71

Jan 24, 2011
I can't use,but for those wanting to know how to use it, click the link given in the original post and read. I think you'll find what you are looking for there.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app

wideopn11

Jan 14, 2011
I can't use,but for those wanting to know how to use it, click the link given in the original post and read. I think you'll find what you are looking for there.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app

If I had found the information on how to use the backup files I created, after reading many many times, I would not have asked multiple times on how to use the backup files to restore my device if I happen to softbrick.
The back files are pointless if there are no instructions on how to use them.

Last edited:

BierLiebHaber

Aug 21, 2011
Berlin
you can use
Code:
$ nvflash --resume --rawdevicewrite 0 2944 bricksafe.img
that copies the bricksafe image back to the device (which should unbrick your device... i guess)

-BierLiebHaber

PS: next time plz use "nvflash --help" before asking how to use it ;)
PPS: can someone tell me what the bricksafe.img contains?

krhainos

Jul 28, 2007
Akron, OH
krhainos.tk
The magic about nvflash is: you can backup all sectors which are important and you can recover them independently if fastboot is working or not. so no matter why your tablet is bricked, you can always restore a status from which you have fastboot access as nvflash comes together with the nvidia chipset... :)

This post seems to answer my question -- but I'd like to be crystal clear.

Assume I'm on stock Asus 9.4.3.30 ICS, and I perform the procedure to make backups. Say at some point after installing JB 10.4.2.x, I end up in a softbrick state, would I be able to return to an unbricked 9.4.3.30 state through APX/nvflash?

I'm still reading up on this, my tablet has yet to arrive back from Asus' RMA facility :)

TurboX2

Mar 29, 2007
Gainesville, Florida

Assume I'm on stock Asus 9.4.3.30 ICS, and I perform the procedure to make backups. Say at some point after installing JB 10.4.2.x, I end up in a softbrick state, would I be able to return to an unbricked 9.4.3.30 state through APX/nvflash?

I'm still reading up on this, my tablet has yet to arrive back from Asus' RMA facility :)

I have the same question.
Please clarify this on the opening post for us!

Reactions: krhainos

pitrus-

Sep 4, 2011
Östersund
www.wickenberg.nu

I just did this, so the answer is yes. I made backup, flashed Asus JB which is just awful compared to clean CM10 nightly so I restored the bootloader (bricksafe.img) and reflashed ICS TWRP, entered TWRP, formated system and data and lastly restored latest nightly and am now a very happy man again. =)

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

you can use
Code:
$ nvflash --resume --rawdevicewrite 0 2944 bricksafe.img
that copies the bricksafe image back to the device (which should unbrick your device... i guess)

-BierLiebHaber

PS: next time plz use "nvflash --help" before asking how to use it ;)
PPS: can someone tell me what the bricksafe.img contains?

As I understand it, the bricksafe.img contains the original androidroot bootsector/loader encrypted with your tablets unique encryption key. Which is why it only works on your tablet and why it's so important to make this backup before going Asus JB-bootloader.

Btw, the command for rewriting the bricksafe.img file is correct. After that you just flash TWRP-ICS (non blob, unpack before using blobtools) with nvflash --resume --download 5 TWRP.SOS/img and your ready to enter TWRP and restore the rest.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After a hard day of extra testing, we're proud to announce Nvflash for TF300.

This release allows unlocked devices to create a set of device-specific files that lets you access nvflash.

Once the procedure is done, you will always be able to recover any software brick (even bootloader!) as long as you keep your files safe!

NOTE:
    • THIS REQUIRES A NON-BRICKED AND UNLOCKED DEVICE. IT WON'T WORK ON ALREADY BRICKED DEVICES
    • THIS ONLY WORKS IF YOU HAVE A PRE-JB BOOTLOADER

More details at http://androidroot.mobi/?p=480

Important note: License: Due to the nature of wheelie and the importance of people always using the latest version, Wheelie is NOT redistributable! You are allowed to download it and use it, but you are not allowed to redistribute it in any way - this means no GUI's including it, no reposting zips/tar.gz's and similar! At a later date, we will be releasing our source code and relicense it as GPL.

Enjoy
    - AndroidRoot.Mobi Team
    Members: rayman, lilstevie, kmdm, Bumble-Bee (XDA: apache14), IEF (XDA: IEFtm)

NOTE: If anyone wishes to donate, http://androidroot.mobi/donations/ is place to do it! DO NOT DONATE DIRECTLY TO ME.
    Seems like no one have noticed - the is a nvflash now for TF300T with JB :D https://www.androidroot.mobi/pages/guides/tegra3-guide-nvflash-jellybean/ works great - it tested it already. If you got any problems with blob.bin reflash the bootloader twice and regenerate the whille files.
    Nice, I'll have to give this try. Its good to have a safety net.
    So once I have generated the files and have NvFlash working, would I be able to then flash the new JB from Asus and then use the NvFlash files to go back to ICS bootloader?

PS: This thread should be pinned.

Yes! Once you have these files, you can move back and forth between any rom/bootloader you desire. ASUS can do nothing to prevent it once you have the files for your device!
    It also essentially makes your device brick proof (assuming you carefully follow our guide and do the backups!), so development gets a lot more safe :)
    would love to have this as a fallback, but I think I am in a rather interesting predicament...

See, I don't think I ever backed up stock ANYTHING on this tablet, and I don't even remember how I got a rom on this thing to begin with (alot of life crap going on I think). All that I DO KNOW is that I am currently running CM10 and TWRP, and obviously have an unlocked bootloader.

Some peeps say that if you are on JB, you can't go back to ICS, but I seemed to have no problems with TWRP by going to hyrdo's ICS rom from cm10... maybe there was something I was missing.

I guess I just need someone to give me some TLC and guide me in the right direction. I know warranty is voided... So poopy there. If I need to do this as a Q&A entry, I will, but forgive me for checking here first as I know that sometimes people post things where they don't belong.

I am thinking it would be best to return this bad boy as close to stock as I can (kernel, rom) and then try the NVflash from there. But I don't have a stock ICS rom other than "V9.4.3.30 Only for US SKU (Android 4.0.3)" (not sure if this is a good starting point or not...

Everything personal is backed up, so any direction would be helpful :D

If you are unlocked and and running CM10 it sounds like you never updated to the official OTA JB rom from Asus. If that is the case then you deffinitley have the ICS bootloader. Also if you are running CM10 right now you cannot be on the JB bootloader as CM10 doesn't work with the new bootloader.

I am pretty sure you can use nvflash to back up all the important files from any rom as long as you are using ICS bootloader, which it sounds like you are.
    just like to say, that i will be the 1st donating for a JB Nvflash. Who is with me? Let´s make a donation pool for the dev who cracks the JB bootloader :)