Difficult to develop for GS4?

Search This thread

Livebyte

Jul 14, 2012
Ok, but see you find a simple issue and fix it on YOUR phone and you're done. They have a simple issue and have to plan (and pay many people of non trivial salary) to roll out updates to millions of products on dozens of global networks and you wonder why it's not a big deal?

If they're already working on fixes and testing it makes complete practical sense to wait and roll that into another update that's already in the works. That's just reality and doesn't automatically assume incompetence on their part.

Yeap it takes more than 1 year to change something so trivial.
I guess a major bug would take them 1000 years.

No worries, I'm sure Samsung GALAXY S 3000 would solve it. :)

Becoming

Jun 11, 2010
Yeap it takes more than 1 year to change something so trivial.
I guess a major bug would take them 1000 years.

No worries, I'm sure Samsung GALAXY S 3000 would solve it. :)

Not being familiar with that particular bug, I have no idea what actual impact it had (or if it was universal), so I'm not saying that it's "ok". My point was that most people are self centered and don't ever seem to think about how these things really work, they just expect results.

How many of the millions of people who owned the phone do you think were affected by this bug, and how badly do you believe it impacted their experience? I mean it sounds dumb, but even in a company with say only 500 employees just planning an IT meeting to discuss POSSIBLE changes to a website product can take quite a while. Then planning, testing, and etc... I don't even want to think about the nightmare of global rollouts on millions of flagship products in like 90 countries (with hardware variations and carrier specific differences).

In the end, this is still not an excuse, but reality is not as black and white as so many people would like it to be when they go pointing fingers.

Livebyte

Jul 14, 2012
Not being familiar with that particular bug, I have no idea what actual impact it had (or if it was universal), so I'm not saying that it's "ok". My point was that most people are self centered and don't ever seem to think about how these things really work, they just expect results.

How many of the millions of people who owned the phone do you think were affected by this bug, and how badly do you believe it impacted their experience? I mean it sounds dumb, but even in a company with say only 500 employees just planning an IT meeting to discuss POSSIBLE changes to a website product can take quite a while. Then planning, testing, and etc... I don't even want to think about the nightmare of global rollouts on millions of flagship products in like 90 countries (with hardware variations and carrier specific differences).

In the end, this is still not an excuse, but reality is not as black and white as so many people would like it to be when they go pointing fingers.

Superbrick fiasco. If you factory-reset an ICS I9100 or N7000, you are at risk of permanently bricking your device, that applies to non-rooted and rooted devices so it affects the 40 million owners. I think it's a significant bug. Thank god they took less than one year to fix it and no that's not a compliment.

xd.bx

May 14, 2011
sometimes its see as if the devs want all things handed to them...
but i cant talk since i dont know a thing about developing and i am just seeing it from a enduser point of view.

I spent hours reverse-engineering HTC and Samsung proprietary stuff to get CM to actually work as it should. Just because neither companies would bother publishing the relevant parts, or because they break the official AOSP (HTC's smile detection, for instance). So don't blame developers if they give up and switch to more friendly OEMs.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

You assume too much.......Samsung does not care about Cyanogen.

Wait, wat. Samsung hired Cyanogen. The guy who created CyanogenMod, you know. I think they had a purpose in mind, at the time. And if they lost their way, maybe we should move on as well. But so far, there is nothing that says CM will not work on the SGS4.

-A-P-M-

May 4, 2010

Livebyte

Jul 14, 2012
What about I9503 - SGS4 with Snapdragon 600 CPU? Due to more open CPU, this one should be easier to develop right? For same reason, US SGS3 get CM sooner than international SGS3. Do you think I9503 will get CM support?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Yeap with more hope than the Exynos counterpart.

dcunited08

Dec 28, 2010
Atlanta
What about I9503 - SGS4 with Snapdragon 600 CPU? Due to more open CPU, this one should be easier to develop right? For same reason, US SGS3 get CM sooner than international SGS3. Do you think I9503 will get CM support?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Probably pretty decent support, notice the US versions have stable releases. If you are on the fence, buy something already supported.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

myfluxi

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 28, 2011
TeamHacksungs/CMs decision is the only way to go. If I were them, I'd cut support for each and every Samsung device immediately.

And I'm saying this as a fan of the Samsung hardware. There is still no match for the S2 regarding size/weight/performance as of now. And I guess the S4 will be the best device in its category as well (the Z's display is not that good even compared to the S3, let alone htc's new devices).

Finally let the user decide what's more important to him, CM awesomeness or Sammys incredible uglyness. Don't be forced to add a #blamesamsung hashtag to every second posting.

On the other hand, I do not understand the praises for Sony. The company that root-kitted our PCs and sued Playstation hackers out of development and almost to bankruptcy.

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
TeamHacksungs/CMs decision is the only way to go. If I were them, I'd cut support for each and every Samsung device immediately.

And I'm saying this as a fan of the Samsung hardware. There is still no match for the S2 regarding size/weight/performance as of now. And I guess the S4 will be the best device in its category as well (the Z's display is not that good even compared to the S3, let alone htc's new devices).

Finally let the user decide what's more important to him, CM awesomeness or Sammys incredible uglyness. Don't be forced to add a #blamesamsung hashtag to every second posting.

On the other hand, I do not understand the praises for Sony. The company that root-kitted our PCs and sued Playstation hackers out of development and almost to bankruptcy.

well they did get what they deserved a few years ago though didn't they...plus Playstation section different to there mobile counterpart...so yeah for developer support sony is the great at the moment..

as to HTC screen quality not up to the standard of S4 now that is debatable

myfluxi

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 28, 2011
They only got what they deserved from some nerds who understand what a rootkit is. They didn't get the appropriate fire for the geohot case, though.

Sony is every bit as evil as Samsung. The fact that you focus on good developer support for mobile devices does not make it any better (it's just practical and more comfortable for your conscience).

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
They only got what they deserved from some nerds who understand what a rootkit is. They didn't get the appropriate fire for the geohot case, though.

Sony is every bit as evil as Samsung. The fact that you focus on good developer support for mobile devices does not make it any better (it's just practical and more comfortable for your conscience).

at the end of the day everyone is in it for the money mate...no other way about it...

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY

They're working as hard as they can to make up for the sins of the past. I think that Kaz Hirai has, unlike his predecessors, figured out that treating your customers like **** is bad for business.

I had serious concerns that the Sony Mobile guys would get shat on by the mothership as a result of all of the restructuring and reorganization at Sony, reducing their openness - but it seems like the opposite is happening. The Sony Mobile guys are getting MORE freedom to do what is right, not less.

For a good part of 2012 I had an inherent distrust of Sony, but it was impossible to ignore their constant positive contributions to AOSP and to the opensource community, at the same time Samsung was ****ting on the opensource community right and left.

Reactions: Goku80

nushoin

Apr 2, 2012
Since Samsung is now more or less the only manufacturer who produces phones with removable battery and SD card support, I will be forced to either give up on removable batteries and SD card or give up on CM.

Damn.

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
They're working as hard as they can to make up for the sins of the past. I think that Kaz Hirai has, unlike his predecessors, figured out that treating your customers like **** is bad for business.

I had serious concerns that the Sony Mobile guys would get shat on by the mothership as a result of all of the restructuring and reorganization at Sony, reducing their openness - but it seems like the opposite is happening. The Sony Mobile guys are getting MORE freedom to do what is right, not less.

For a good part of 2012 I had an inherent distrust of Sony, but it was impossible to ignore their constant positive contributions to AOSP and to the opensource community, at the same time Samsung was ****ting on the opensource community right and left.

To Entropy and the rest of the guys at Team Hacksung...

Having working with Entropy during the past year on the eMMC bug I can completely understand your position. That doesn't even mention the issues with the RIL that I've had read about.

Sony has mentioned including CDMA in the future but I haven't seen it come to fruition yet. Odd in a country that widely uses WCDMA - but I am hoping should the Softbank deal for Sprint go through that it may quickly change that. Until that time I might as well stick with the best alternative and for me on Sprint that seems to remain Samsung. It's something that I have finally become more familiar with thanks to working on kernel development for the Epic 4G Touch and Galaxy Note 2 for Sprint. Now I'm looking to take the next step in my self-education.

While I won't burn an upgrade to buy a device for GS4 CM development due to owning a GN2 I have made a decision to make CM builds for the Sprint variant (SPH-L720) as it furthers my goals to go beyond kernels and into a new challenge and new lessons. I wish you the best on your current endeavours and hope you won't mind if I poke for advice once in a while.... like a PM I sent to Andrei and Entropy yesterday after stumping Chainfire.

Theaccomplice88

Dec 27, 2008
I always use Samsung based ROMs when I can, just because everything works. I don't need AOSP, I don't need CM, I don't need AOKP. All I need is a themed ROM close to stock, but without any Touchwiz. I love Samsung's special features, like smart stay, and I can't get those on other ROMs. I stick with Samsung for removable batteries, great hardware and software, and expandable storage.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Wow I have never seen such fanboys on both ends lol. In the end it is what works for each of you. Just keep a few things in mind. 1. This is a development forum. That is all that matters to most here. This is what XDA is all about. We are not a rom forum nor a make my phone cool forum. Some seem to have lost site of that. 2. If Samsung decides they wanted to be a real pain there would be no custom roms based off of stock roms. They could easily put a stop to all of them and void every warranty for devices running them.

So use what works for you. If you like TW cool, if you like AOSP cool. Either way it is a personal call and no need to justify it to each other. While I agree that Samsung is biting the hands that made them who they are, but that is not surprising. They are a typical company. They care nothing for the little guy and only care for money.

So while i am a great fan of debates lets keep it civil.

Wayne Tech S-III

Ubuntu Phone/Touch

I would not have even noticed this thread if I hadn't been searching Google for any indications of Ubuntu Touch development for my new AT&T S4. I found a post fearing that Ubuntu Touch support may not come to the S4 due to the lack of CM 10.1 support, (that sited this thread,) but this is clearly not the case. I have already tested the jflteatt build. Back to the grind I guess... I will likely find something adventually.

I am more concerned about kernel module/Touchwiz integration of the IR blaster being opened up than any of this drama. My opinion: AOSP can and will likely find a way around this crap adventually. What does everyone else think?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nobody at team hacksung (the team behind galaxy s2, note, s3, note2, gtabs... official CM ports) plans to buy it, neither develop for it. There are two variants which will be a pain to maintain, the bugs we have on the s3 will probably be there on s4 too (camera), and we all know Samsung ability to release sources while staying in line with mainline. Yes qualcomm release sources, but exynos sources we had were far from actual galaxy products. I'm pretty sure the same will happen for this one.

That's a uniform "no" from us (hacksung).

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. There has been a huge flood of messages around the web about the support of CM and the SGS4. What I wrote above is JUST from my/hacksung opinion. CyanogenMod is a big organization with hundreds of contributors around the world. Even if me/codeworkx/entropy/... won't develop for it, other people can go ahead and do it. It's not the CyanogenMod project that decided that 'no' I expressed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
    Explain?

Sent from my s-off Rezound

Most experienced developers are leaving Samsung for manufacturers that don't treat them like **** (see the Superbrick fiasco), leaving only the "me-too" smali-hack-kangs and a very small number of experienced competent developers like Andrei.

Quality, not quantity - most of the stuff in the I9100 and I9300 forums is crap, people who took a Touchwizz base, themed it, made some build.prop hacks, and called it a whole new firmware package. They're lucky in that Touchwizz is so bad that it's easy to improve upon it.

Compare to, for example, the Xperia T where there are 5-10 or more developers all contributing as a team to something that only has two threads (One for CM10, one for CM10.1) There aren't many people working with Sony stock firmwares because, honestly, it's REALLY hard to improve upon them because they're so good to begin with. Most of the few things that can be improved are achievable with simple TiBu freezes, no smali hacking required.
    The Exynos Octa is going to be an absolute deal breaker in terms of full AOSP support. The core architecture with it's firmware controlled CPU handover is where the problems will lie. No way are Samsung going to release the relevant documentation given their history and the unique capabilities of this SOC. While AOSP code will ultimately make it onto the device, expect a broken implementation of it.

Still. I never fully understood the major hate towards Samsung in regards to AOSP ROMs. Never have Samsung advertised the Galaxy S range as AOSP devices or AOSP friendly devices. You are ultimately hacking the device beyond it's advertised capabilities. You should be thankful they don't force you to legally sign away your warranty like HTC/Sony just so you can flash a ROM. I loved my S2, but ultimately missed the AOSP experience I had on my Nexus One and returned to Nexus range in the way of the Galaxy Nexus, a Samsung device, advertised and promoted as an AOSP device.

Regards.
    They publicized their donation of three devices to the CM team VERY heavily.

They promised they were "working hard" on Superbrick, and threw a grenade in our faces with XWLPM a month later with no warning.

They promised to release updated platform reference source for Exynos4 - and regurgitated the same almost-a-year-out-of-date crap (it's now on the order of 1 year 3 months outdated) that was an issue in the first place. Their BABBQ promise was clearly just a stunt to sell more Note2 units.

They lie on a regular basis... They say they care about the community to sell more devices, but their actions are the exact opposite of their words.

They update fast because their update is also crap.
    Its poor in quality and buggy at most

Free SGS2 to CM team was a publicity stunt.
    Yup. The only manufacturer who has donated FEWER devices to CM maintainers than Samsung is HTC and maybe Motorola.

Jerpelea has more Sony devices than he has the time to support. (For various reasons, Sony asks that these donations don't get publicized too much). Arcee has received every LG device marketed in Europe to my knowledge (again, that's kept semi-quiet, partly because manufacturers don't want users to go out and buy a device then get disappointed if the CM bringup falters for whatever reason.)
    Some of us have lived on Stock Rom development for years and actually prefer it over the always non working this and that on CM and CM based ROMS. The only device I owned/own that benefits from CM is the Nexus. Other than that I prefer EVERYTHING to work and not wait for some nightly and have to flash a new ROM every week.

Cyanogen had their day. Manufacturers are making them obsolete with the hardware features they don't willingly release driver code for. Why should they? They WANT SAMSUNG stuff on Samsung phones. Stock developers do a great job of giving us a choice of WHICH Samsung apps we want and those of us who use the Pen on the Note like having it work as well.

We get it. No CM ROM...Buy another brand, Samsung doesn't care, nor should they for the relative handful of their newer devices running CM Roms.

Let's say it's May. Android 5.0 came by in Google I/O.
    6 months later, you're still on 4.2.2 because Samsung still hasn't updated their phones and sources.
    Okay there might be AOSP-based ROMs a week later.
    But none of them is fully working because the drivers from 4.2.2 is no longer working in 5.0
    You're telling me you won't get mad?
    What if Google came out with some super cool feature.
    Last year was Project Butter & Google Now.
    You're still telling me you won't get mad?
    If you say Samsung don't care, why should we care about them then?
    We're XDA because we develop amazing custom ROMs, not some themed **** with extra apps preloaded together with some build.prop edits
    You guys do realise much of the work and bugfixes by CM are fed back to Samsung for improvement? Without the pool of highly talented developers to tinker with their product, there will be no talent to brainstorm with. Other than meaning Samsung doesn't care about the enthusiasts community, this also means Samsung doesn't care about the common user, because they are reluctant to hang on to the pool of talent they should work the most closely with for when fckups like the Brickbug occurs.
    Actually, we've tried to feed bugfixes back to Samsung for improvement, but they just sit and let things be broken for months on end. This is where a lot of our frustration comes from - we've tried as hard as we can to work WITH Samsung, and they treat their customers like crap. They absolutely refuse to take responsibility for any bug that gets discovered.

Look at the MAX17042 fuel_alerted wakelock bug - Discovered in October 2011, reported multiple times back to Samsung (and the fix was literally ONE CHARACTER, replacing an == with >= in a comparison), and it didn't get fixed until January 2013.

Compared to Sony, who have actively worked with developers here in terms of investigating bugs that are found. MANY of the issues we raised with ICS on the Xperia T were solved in Jellybean.

I got a question.

Is Steve Kondik a.k.a Cyanogen (founder of CyanogenMod) still working for Samsung?
    If so, I would like to know his toughts about the hate/love relationship of TeamHacksung with Samsung.

Enviado desde mi GT-N7100 usando Tapatalk 2
    He's working for Samsung USA... He pretty much stays out of it. He's in a very tough position due to working for Samsung... He's stuck between us and the Koreans.

There are a number of people at Samsung USA that care and want things to change, but upper management in Korea is 100% uncooperative.