Help with Moto G Stuck on Boot

Search This thread

LFCavalcanti

Apr 22, 2014
Hi Guys!

First post here.

Long story short, I put my Moto G to recharge with his own charger, the damn thing started to loop in boot. It powers on, shows the boot logo, vibrates, then stays in black screen but powered for a couple seconds, then reboot again.

I never installed any custom ROM, unlocked bootloader or anything else, in fact, before this I never bothered learning about flashing Android devices. I'm an IT Manager, so the tech terms are no problem, also working with scripts and codding.

Now, because I'm in Brazil and our local Motorola Tech Support is a total disaster, I decided to try solve this on my own, little I knew about the hell I would go trough.

First I tried the Hard Reset, the thing is, my Moto G rebooted when I tried to enter the Recovery Menu.

I tried a Stock 4.4.2 Firmware, no good at all.

I have all the procedures I tried in this thread: ww w.firmware-team.com/showthread.php?p=2564
(remove the space, because I'm a new user, they block me from posting an external link, even if it would help to understand the problem)

If anyone could help me with this, I bought this Moto G less than 4 months, will be a shame If it is lost.

Seems I can't even edit my post until wait 5 minutes. I'm sure you have good reasons, but edit the post should be available, new post should be blocked.

Last edited:

Z-WolF

Apr 13, 2014
Hi Guys!

First post here.

Long story short, I put my Moto G to recharge with his own charger, the damn thing started to loop in boot. It powers on, shows the boot logo, vibrates, then stays in black screen but powered for a couple seconds, then reboot again.

I never installed any custom ROM, unlocked bootloader or anything else, in fact, before this I never bothered learning about flashing Android devices. I'm an IT Manager, so the tech terms are no problem, also working with scripts and codding.

Now, because I'm in Brazil and our local Motorola Tech Support is a total disaster, I decided to try solve this on my own, little I knew about the hell I would go trough.

First I tried the Hard Reset, the thing is, my Moto G rebooted when I tried to enter the Recovery Menu.

I tried a Stock 4.4.2 Firmware, no good at all.

I have all the procedures I tried in this thread: ww w.firmware-team.com/showthread.php?p=2564
(remove the space, because I'm a new user, they block me from posting an external link, even if it would help to understand the problem)

If anyone could help me with this, I bought this Moto G less than 4 months, will be a shame If it is lost.

Seems I can't even edit my post until wait 5 minutes. I'm sure you have good reasons, but edit the post should be available, new post should be blocked.

After everything you've done i can't suggest you anything.
But have you considered that maybe something in the hardware broke when you charged it?
As far as i know motorola never made a charger for this phone but many carriers bundle a charger with the phone, hopefully a motorola branded one.
see if you can claim the warranty.
Also, can you post the input/output of the charger you used?

BaghiXDA

Apr 17, 2014
After everything you've done i can't suggest you anything.
But have you considered that maybe something in the hardware broke when you charged it?
As far as i know motorola never made a charger for this phone but many carriers bundle a charger with the phone, hopefully a motorola branded one.
In some regions (mostly in Asia) you do get 500mAh charger instead of OTG cable.

aarongillion63

Apr 13, 2014
Grand Rapids MI
aaron.gillion.io
Actually, this is probably a battery problem guys. Luckily you have the Moto G and not the X so you can easily remove the battery. Order a new one, make *absolute* sure it's original. Try Amazon or eBay, but make sure it's not used.

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Also, try a different outlet source, 1amp or 2amp charger, and different cable.

Personally, what I would do to work around your problem, is order a aftermarket battery set where you can charge the batteries outside the phone (directly w/ adapter), and swap em out when your phone dies. Back when I had a Galaxy this was a life-saver, never tied to an outlet during the day and also helped me in emergency situations.

LFCavalcanti

Apr 22, 2014
Hi!

My charger is branded by Motorola, 850mAh, 5.1V.

I could agree that some hardware may broke during the charge, but which part? Because the battery still charges, the device still connects through Fast Boot menu.

LFCavalcanti

Apr 22, 2014
Actually, this is probably a battery problem guys. Luckily you have the Moto G and not the X so you can easily remove the battery. Order a new one, make *absolute* sure it's original. Try Amazon or eBay, but make sure it's not used.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Also, try a different outlet source, 1amp or 2amp charger, and different cable.

Personally, what I would do to work around your problem, is order a aftermarket battery set where you can charge the batteries outside the phone (directly w/ adapter), and swap em out when your phone dies. Back when I had a Galaxy this was a life-saver, never tied to an outlet during the day and also helped me in emergency situations.

The battery on Moto G is not removable without removing the screws and back plate of the phone. Also, the battery stills charges, and the phone can go all day long rebooting, until the battery discharge.

Z-WolF

Apr 13, 2014
Hi!

My charger is branded by Motorola, 850mAh, 5.1V.

I could agree that some hardware may broke during the charge, but which part? Because the battery still charges, the device still connects through Fast Boot menu.

I'm not familiarized with phone hardware, but seeing that i'm talking with an IT colleague i can make an analogy :)

Based on the symptoms you describe, it looks like your HDD, or the HDD chipset is fried.

Now, as in phones almost everything are SoCs (System on a Chip) it does not do any good to know which part is broken because the repair involves changing or replacing almost the entire phone internals.

LFCavalcanti

Apr 22, 2014
I'm not familiarized with phone hardware, but seeing that i'm talking with an IT colleague i can make an analogy :)

Based on the symptoms you describe, it looks like your HDD, or the HDD chipset is fried.

Now, as in phones almost everything are SoCs (System on a Chip) it does not do any good to know which part is broken because the repair involves changing or replacing almost the entire phone internals.
I see. What I find most weird is that when writing(flashing) the firmware, I get no errors, seems all the files were written fine.

Maybe is the Partition table. Is there anyway to completely format these Android Devices, like wiping the disk entirely? Because I tried the Blank Flash procedure, but seems the MBR on the disk is not erased in the process.

Z-WolF

Apr 13, 2014
I see. What I find most weird is that when writing(flashing) the firmware, I get no errors, seems all the files were written fine.

Maybe is the Partition table. Is there anyway to completely format these Android Devices, like wiping the disk entirely? Because I tried the Blank Flash procedure, but seems the MBR on the disk is not erased in the process.

As far as i know, there aren't ways to play with the partitions in the Moto G.
(I hope it's a) proof: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2719931

if i were you, i'd try my chances claiming the warranty if there is one and they don't mind you unlocking the bootloader.