[Q] Weirdest thing: tethering brings my data to a grind...until I toggle it.

Search This thread

mrwormburn

Oct 1, 2013
Hey all,

First off, this is my first thread so please forgive me in advance if I faux pas on some unwritten rule (I did read all of the written ones).
Ok, so I'm on 4.3 ML1 and have been for about a month with no problems whatsoever. However, two days ago I started noticing that my data connection was very intermittent. I called Verizon tech support and they said that it is probably an app since the phone's data ran fine in safe mode for a long time. I was told to uninstall app by app and see if that made any difference, but before I did that I tried my sneaking suspicion - it's actually the fact that I tether that does this!

Thing is, I haven't changed anything on my phone for weeks. No new apps, no updated apps, nothing. My foxfi app always ran perfectly fine for hours. So, it doesn't really matter if I tether with Foxfi (yes I have full version), or PDANet, or Easy tether; the result is the same: normal use for about 3-5 minutes followed by none or an absolute snail's grind after that until I simply toggle my 4g on and off (I used to restart the whole phone, sigh). Once I toggle the data, it works perfectly fine for another 3-5 minutes!

Anywho, the only other thing I have done is unroot my phone via terminal emulator as per this thread's OP (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758) since I was safe-rooted, freaked a little, and thought that might be the issue (great thread with enough clarity for a beginner like me btw) . No luck. I'm back to stock unrooted and the issue persists.

So, has anyone had any such similar issues? Any solution I may be overlooking? I have two options left if I continue troubleshooting with Verizon - a factory reset, or a replacement under warranty. Would the factory reset do it? I guess I better root again and titanium backup some of the app data I don't want to lose. Sigh.

Thanks.

p.s. Oh yes, another oddity, when the data stops working, google based services still work. So, I can run youtube or google search for hours without toggling the data both on my phone and on the computer it is tethered to; both wifi or usb. But everything else, all other web pages and apps, do not work longer than the 3-5 minutes until I toggle the data. Weird, huh?

Last edited: