VGA & Opera Mini (and/or MIDlet) users, you’ll LOVE this: readable charsizes at last!

Search This thread

Menneisyys

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2005
www.winmobiletech.com
VGA & Opera Mini (and/or MIDlet) users, you’ll LOVE this: readable charsizes at last!

So far, the biggest problem with running Opera Mini (or any MIDlet that uses characters to display anything; for example, the Gmail one) on high-resolution (W)VGA Windows Mobile devices was the far too small character size all contemporary, recommended (most importantly, Jbed) MIDlet managers used. That is, up to now, only people with flawless eyesight and/or comparatively large (say, 3.6+”) VGA screens were able to really enjoy Opera Mini on their high-resolution phones, not people with considerably smaller (W)VGA screens (Gigabyte and E-TEN VGA models; the new Toshiba and i-mate phones etc.) I’ve searched far and long for hacks for Jbed – currently the best all-in-one MIDlet manager – in vain.

JBlend, the most important Jbed-alternative to the rescue! The JBlend version coming with the HTC Diamond supports large characters. Which is pretty much understandable as the Diamond only has a 2.8” screen – way too small to run Opera Mini with the default character size. (Again, it can only be read by people with excellent eyesight even on considerably larger, 3.6” VGA screens.)

It was some days ago that an XDA-Developers forum member reported the Jblend version coming with the Diamond uses large characters. I’ve stuck the thread at once in order to make as many Diamond users aware of the possible solution as possible and have even mentioned it in my last Misc news article in order to draw the subject as much attention as possible to. Fortunately, another XDA-Devs user, Sogarth, has managed to “hack” the JBlend manager out of Diamond after this.

You can download it HERE (it’s now on my backend so that you can avoid having to deal with public, free file repositories like MegaUpload). Unzip ALL the files into \Windows. Put JBlend.lnk into \Windows\Start Menu\Programs. With a registry editor, import either 83f46fc6-70de-49eb-bed1-719f4a1d8751.rgu (after renaming it to .reg) or THIS file, depending on whether the editor is REGEDIT4- or 5-compliant. (If only the latter like Pocket Controller’s registry editor, use the latter file I’ve created for your convenience.)

That’s all – after this, Jblend will work. Yes, I know: it doesn’t support full screen (unlike Jbed), which can clearly be seen in the screenshot below. However, if you use it in Portrait, the screen estate lost by the two (upper and lower) bars can be minimized. (I haven’t tested it in real VGA mode – there, if Jblend works OK with it, you can further reduce the screen estate loss by halving the size of the bars.)

I’ll update this article as soon as an easier-to-install CAB installer for the files is created. Up until then, just follow the tutorial above. Consult my older articles on, for example, importing Registry files if you don’t know what it’s about.

jblendDiamondBigCharset.png

I’ve tested it on a WM6.1 HTC Universal. Haven’t done the same on a phone-less VGA PDA like the iPAQ 210. I think it’ll work on it too with the usual “dummy” phone/SMS DLL’s. Make sure you read my MIDlet Bible if you don’t know what I’m referring to.

Last edited:

aneto

Oct 24, 2006
Barcelona
Not working for me on axim x51v (wm6.1 makuu's version).
I try with the fake phone/SMS dlls unssuccefuly.
Any sugestions?

Last edited:

fraktal

Oct 26, 2007
im sure it would be much appreciated if someone were to pack this all up in a couple of cab files - I know im struggling to find first a file manger that can rename extensions and then a registry editor that can import reg files...

EDIT: I'm a fool, see post 3 for this...D'oh!

Last edited:

kleptodathief

Jul 13, 2008
With a registry editor, import either 83f46fc6-70de-49eb-bed1-719f4a1d8751.rgu (after renaming it to .reg) or THIS file, depending on whether the editor is REGEDIT4- or 5-compliant. (If only the latter like Pocket Controller’s registry editor, use the latter file I’ve created for your convenience.)

im confused here, can someone please clarify this for me

1) wat wm editor do i use?
2) where do i import the file? the location is where?

thanx

jcrompton

Nov 30, 2004
Hurricane, WV
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 5a
Hey I just got the HTC Touch Pro. Like others, using the built in Java app, the Opera Mini was just too small on the VGA screen to be usable. I nstalled the JBlend via the above cab file and then installed Opera Mini.

The weird thing is that the font is definitely better and it seems to work OK but I can't enter text into the address entry field (i.e., the field that has the www. in it). I can do data entry any where else 0 just not that field.

Any ideas?

jcrompton

Nov 30, 2004
Hurricane, WV
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 5a
Flashed a new ROM on my Touch Pro. I have installed the Jblend cab linked in this thread.

OperaMini4.1 installs fine and works great the first time -- the font is larger than the ROM included Esmertec Java BUT after closing JBlend and / or soft resetting when I restart JBlend I get an unable to start midlet error - memory dangerously low.

Any ideas on how to work around this issue?

andreasfuntastic

Sep 2, 2006
I have a Diamond with ROM 1.93.407.1 GER. It has Jbed Java on it.
Because of the Operamini and VGA-problem i tried the Jblend.files from #1. post and the cab from Aneto´s post too. (link to the cab from post #3 not workink, site is down).
None of them work. When i start the programm nothing happens.
Of course i changed registry too (with resco regeditor).
Is it the problem that Jbed is already in ROM?

quebec1

Jul 2, 2009
I have difficulty with the installation, you can have a cab version?
links with the cab files do not work anymore

quebec1

Jul 2, 2009
Una domanda quando esplodo il file zip sul desktop i file mi escono dentro due cartelle.
Io ho copiato queste due cartelle in windows, e poi ho importato il file reg e copiato il link. Quando clicco sul link mi dice impossibile aprire programma dove sbaglio?
translate
I have not tried the cab i'm trying the other method and does not work.
One question they explode the zip file to your desktop files I leave in two folders.
I copied these folders in Windows, and then I imported the reg file and copied the link. When I click on the link says I can not open program where am I wrong?