[Q] JOdin3 Casual - Can not load PIT file

Search This thread

mabbutt

Aug 26, 2014
Hi,

I am trying to unbrick my Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5839i using the JOdin3 Casual online applet (I can not post the outside link).

I can connect my phone and everything is fine.

However every time the applet tries to obtain my PIT file it says that it tired but could not do it. If I manually add a PIT file then the applet crashes so I am at a dead end.

Please can someone advise if they can get this working or if there is something else I can try?

I have used Odin on a PC (via VMWare on my Mac) but I can not get the phone to be recognised in 'download' mode.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
You need to use Odin, not JOdin. And not emulated through VM. Odin is a low level utility, sensitive to timing. In short, you need to find or borrow a PC and use Odin to be assured of success. I'm not saying that it's impossible to emulate Odin with VM but many have failed before you and it is at least a difficult thing to accomplish.

Find a PC and run Odin. Even then you may have to try several different USB cables or ports before you get a successful write. Also it is imperative that you pull the battery and use the volume down + home + power button to enter download mode. If the write attempt fails do not close Odin. Instead pull the phone battery a second time, then vol down + home + power again to re-enter download mode. Then attempt the write again. Inevitably it will succeed the second time after the first failure.

Also note that due to the likelihood of existing partition corruption that you should provide a known good PIT file, rather than let Odin try to use the existing partition information from the phone.

mabbutt

Aug 26, 2014
Hi fffft,

Thank you for your advice which seems pretty good, I will try and do this via a friends laptop tomorrow.

Do you know where I can get a known good PIT file as that is something I have really struggled with?

Every single one I find the link is dead.

Many thanks

You need to use Odin, not JOdin. And not emulated through VM. Odin is a low level utility, sensitive to timing. In short, you need to find or borrow a PC and use Odin to be assured of success. I'm not saying that it's impossible to emulate Odin with VM but many have failed before you and it is at least a difficult thing to accomplish.

Find a PC and run Odin. Even then you may have to try several different USB cables or ports before you get a successful write. Also it is imperative that you pull the battery and use the volume down + home + power button to enter download mode. If the write attempt fails do not close Odin. Instead pull the phone battery a second time, then vol down + home + power again to re-enter download mode. Then attempt the write again. Inevitably it will succeed the second time after the first failure.

Also note that due to the likelihood of existing partition corruption that you should provide a known good PIT file, rather than let Odin try to use the existing partition information from the phone.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Do you know where I can get a known good PIT file as that is something I have really struggled with?

Well you've posted in the S5 forum. Most of the S5 PIT files can be found here.

But you also said that you have a Galaxy Ace, so it's not clear if you are posting in the wrong forum or referenced a different phone that you have by mistake. You didn't give any details of how you searched, so we have no way of knowing whether your search was effective or comprehensive. But most people do not do thorough searches. It's likely that if you spent a few minutes longer or varied your search keywords that you could find the PIT file that you need. Or alternately find someone else with a working Galaxy Ace, in person or online and have them extract a PIT file from their phone.

mabbutt

Aug 26, 2014
Well you've posted in the S5 forum. Most of the S5 PIT files can be found here.

But you also said that you have a Galaxy Ace, so it's not clear if you are posting in the wrong forum or referenced a different phone that you have by mistake. You didn't give any details of how you searched, so we have no way of knowing whether your search was effective or comprehensive. But most people do not do thorough searches. It's likely that if you spent a few minutes longer or varied your search keywords that you could find the PIT file that you need. Or alternately find someone else with a working Galaxy Ace, in person or online and have them extract a PIT file from their phone.

I have an Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5839i and it seems wrongly assumed that this was the correct place to put it. If it is in the wrong place can a moderator move it for me or let me know how I can move it?

I am by no stretch of the imagination an advanced user and have searched as thoroughly as I know how to using Google and links in posts that I have found on forums. Using these searches I have found numerous PIT files but none of them have worked so far. As I said I am not advanced but I am learning and know a lot more just from the above posts.

I will look on the forum here and see if there is a PIT file that works for a Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5839i.

Many thanks for your help and I am sorry if my lack of knowledge riled you.

mabbutt

Aug 26, 2014

Hi fffft,

Thank you for the links. Most of them I have already seen after searching myself and they mostly return dead links to the PIT file or simply have a link for Odin that has a PIT file in the download which returns as a corrupted file when Odin runs it.

If you followed those links yourself you would have discovered this but it was easier to simply paste a few Google searches in and assume that they would be working. Here let me Google this for you doesn't always make you look clever.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
You couldn't find the correct forum or a working link to the file you needed. I provided both for you and all you can do is complain that you look foolish.

Good luck with your problems