[Q] Root and S-OFF

Search This thread

thinkhope

Jun 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Help everyone.

Have had my M8 for a couple of months now and I think I've had enough sense. I've been doing some digging through here but can't seem to find a good thread/guide to help me with the process. I know of sunshine is about the only way to S-OFF, but don't know if that same method would root and do everything I need.

Would anyone mind helping me out and pointing me in the right direction?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

S1L3nTShaDoWz

Dec 25, 2013
Help everyone.

Have had my M8 for a couple of months now and I think I've had enough sense. I've been doing some digging through here but can't seem to find a good thread/guide to help me with the process. I know of sunshine is about the only way to S-OFF, but don't know if that same method would root and do everything I need.

Sunshine will root, unlock your bootloader, and S-OFF your phone all at once. If you want to switch to another ROM you'll need to flash a custom recovery such as TWRP or CWM which can both be found in the "Original Development" section of the M8 forum.

After having installed a recovery you will need to power off your phone, once its off hold both the power button and volume down button at the same time for a few seconds until your phone boots into fastboot/HBOOT mode. Once in HBOOT use the volume keys to navigate to 'Recovery' and press the power button to select it (you may need to navigate to fastboot area/HBOOT area of the bootloader to find 'Recovery'. Once in the recovery (if TWRP) navigate to 'Install' and find your zip (ROM) file and flash it then navigate to 'Wipe' and wipe your dalvik cache and normal cache then reboot into system.

Take note to put the ROM's (zip file) onto your internal storage or external sd card before booting into recovery.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to ask further questions as you need to. & sorry if I'm treating you like a newbie, I didn't find any tutorials for this in this forum so I figured I might as well detail it deeply.

Reactions: thinkhope

thinkhope

Jun 24, 2010
Los Angeles
No worries!! I definitely appreciate your help. I haven't done the process since my One X.
Would you happen to know if my hboot version matters? I just received the 4.4.3 OTA and don't know if that patched up any exploits.

S1L3nTShaDoWz

Dec 25, 2013
No worries!! I definitely appreciate your help. I haven't done the process since my One X.
Would you happen to know if my hboot version matters? I just received the 4.4.3 OTA and don't know if that patched up any exploits.

So far it doesn't matter, there hasn't been any reports of anything making Sunshine not work yet. Soo you should be good to go!

Reactions: thinkhope

thinkhope

Jun 24, 2010
Los Angeles
According to the sunshine thread, sunshine will not give me permroot. Will flashing superu after I run sunshine give me permanent root??

The_Zodiac

Aug 28, 2010
Unknown
Quick question regarding hboot...

Is there a reason as to why my radio and OpenDSP say INVALID_VER_INFO while in hboot mode?

mine says that and its stock

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Sunshine will root, unlock your bootloader, and S-OFF your phone all at once. If you want to switch to another ROM you'll need to flash a custom recovery such as TWRP or CWM which can both be found in the "Original Development" section of the M8 forum.

After having installed a recovery you will need to power off your phone, once its off hold both the power button and volume down button at the same time for a few seconds until your phone boots into fastboot/HBOOT mode. Once in HBOOT use the volume keys to navigate to 'Recovery' and press the power button to select it (you may need to navigate to fastboot area/HBOOT area of the bootloader to find 'Recovery'. Once in the recovery (if TWRP) navigate to 'Install' and find your zip (ROM) file and flash it then navigate to 'Wipe' and wipe your dalvik cache and normal cache then reboot into system.

Take note to put the ROM's (zip file) onto your internal storage or external sd card before booting into recovery.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to ask further questions as you need to. & sorry if I'm treating you like a newbie, I didn't find any tutorials for this in this forum so I figured I might as well detail it deeply.

do you have nay idea if sunshine uses the bootloader unlock method that can be reverted or not ?

i saw on a thread that theres one method that allows you to revert and make your bootloader and such look stock ?? but that the htc dev method cannot be reverted

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Help everyone.

So far it doesn't matter, there hasn't been any reports of anything making Sunshine not work yet. Soo you should be good to go!