[APP][2.1+] Don't Pause - Automatically silence notifications while playing media

Search This thread

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
I'm still trying to get the hdmi trigger to work. I have it set to detect USB, but it only works with powered ports. I may try adding one to detect when it's connected to mass storage and see if that gives the desired effect. The problem is that there isn't a broadcast receiver for hdmi built in. I think there are work arounds and libraries that can help though. My app is compatible with a little over 5000 devices now so I'm trying to keep it within the and android guidelines without adding too many extras and breaking something.

It has come a long way since day one, lol. I'm almost embarrassed when I look at the original screenshots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yeah my work-around to the HDMI is just keeping the app service running all the time ;) Works perfectly that way, lol. And since I seem to be the only one looking for the HDMI thing I wouldn't worry about that one 8)

Crysis2

Dec 24, 2012
tehran
I'm still trying to get the hdmi trigger to work. I have it set to detect USB, but it only works with powered ports. I may try adding one to detect when it's connected to mass storage and see if that gives the desired effect. The problem is that there isn't a broadcast receiver for hdmi built in. I think there are work arounds and libraries that can help though. My app is compatible with a little over 5000 devices now so I'm trying to keep it within the and android guidelines without adding too many extras and breaking something.

It has come a long way since day one, lol. I'm almost embarrassed when I look at the original screenshots.

Please update Google drive version and why you are embarrassed from the first release of your app what is important now your app is really amazing app.
Sorry for my bad English.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tpierce89

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
Please update Google drive version and why you are embarrassed from the first release of your app what is important now your app is really amazing app.
Sorry for my bad English.

The Google drive version is updated. You should be on 3.0. I have also attached it to the bottom of the original post.

Reactions: Crysis2

tpierce89

Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
Just pushed out another update. I finally updated the old 2x1 widget. I wanted it to match the theme. I also added a full Russian translation. More translations are coming in the future updates. The OP is updated with the latest link and attached file. Here's an image of the latest widget...

2zflu7d.png

Crysis2

Dec 24, 2012
tehran
Just pushed out another update. I finally updated the old 2x1 widget. I wanted it to match the theme. I also added a full Russian translation. More translations are coming in the future updates. The OP is updated with the latest link and attached file. Here's an image of the latest widget...

2zflu7d.png

Downloading will share the results.

Отправлено с моего HTC One S через Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Yet the Widgets don't talk to each other and will be good idea to have an button to change the language.

Crysis2

Dec 24, 2012
tehran

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Yet the Widgets don't talk to each other and will be good idea to have an button to change the language.
uploadfromtaptalk1397738059210.jpg

Vuska

Would you please make an option not to only turn off notification sound... but would you make it still hear the sound while music still playing without any pause too ?
I hope I still know while messages or chats arrive while my screen off.

thank you for this good app.

tpierce89

Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
Would you please make an option not to only turn off notification sound... but would you make it still hear the sound while music still playing without any pause too ?
I hope I still know while messages or chats arrive while my screen off.

thank you for this good app.

I am still trying to figure this out. I have not been able to add it yet. However, I did just send out an update that will now store your notification volume when you start the service and restore it when the service is stopped. I have had many people request this since the beginning, and it should now be solved.

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
I am still trying to figure this out. I have not been able to add it yet. However, I did just send out an update that will now store your notification volume when you start the service and restore it when the service is stopped. I have had many people request this since the beginning, and it should now be solved.

You are awesome my man. Working greater than ever.

Reactions: tpierce89

tpierce89

Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
You are awesome my man. Working greater than ever.

Thanks for staying in touch.

In the future I'd like to have an option for the notifications to play along with the music, I'd like to implement a white list so you could disable don't pause for certain apps, and I'd also like to add a timer so you can set a certain amount of time that you want your notifications to be disabled. Thank you to everyone who has been providing feedback and support for the past few months.

jonneepuh

Oct 24, 2012
We really need a whitelist. I hate having to keep turning up the volume on my Shuttle+ music player because "dont pause" thinks the notification controls are an actual incoming notification and mutes it.

tpierce89

Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
We really need a whitelist. I hate having to keep turning up the volume on my Shuttle+ music player because "dont pause" thinks the notification controls are an actual incoming notification and mutes it.

I am working on this. I have finished adding an in app purchase option, and I also added a support button in the app so you can email me from there.

The whitelist isn't as simple as I'd like it to be, but I have spent the better part of my morning trying to get it to work.

Sent from my locked down Note 3 via the tapatalk app

Crysis2

Dec 24, 2012
tehran
I am working on this. I have finished adding an in app purchase option, and I also added a support button in the app so you can email me from there.

The whitelist isn't as simple as I'd like it to be, but I have spent the better part of my morning trying to get it to work.

You're amazing and your app is rock.
I recommend your app to all of my friends!
I silently installed it on my girlfriend's m8 so she got shocked!:D;):p

jonneepuh

Oct 24, 2012

Awesome! Looking forward to it. Great job. Thanks for continuing to work on it and make it even more useful. Let me know if you need testers

Cheers

tpierce89

Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
Awesome! Looking forward to it. Great job. Thanks for continuing to work on it and make it even more useful. Let me know if you need testers

Cheers

I do. I have setup a beta community on Google plus, but I haven't released a beta yet. The next version is in alpha. It's nearly done, but it is probably the most complicated release I have ever done, so I'm a little nervous.

To make the in app purchase work, I essentially had to merge the free and paid version. You start with the free version and of you upgrade via in app purchase it will automatically restart the app in pro mode.

It's working great, but that's just on my phone and my wife's phone. I plan to put a beta out this weekend and hopefully invite some testers this week.

In the meantime, I have setup www.DontPause.me so people will have a place to go for information. I would like to add a Faq to it at some point, but right now the site is just a simple one page setup.

Thanks to everyone who continues to support the progress. I have a few projects going on in addition to family life and working full time, but I try to push updates when I can. I am always active on XDA and my emails at support@dontpause.me, and Pierce.trent@gmail.com go straight to my phone, so I always reply within a short time.

Right now the free and pro version work great. Ever since I added the feature that makes it capture and restore the notification volume I have had great feedback. I won't be touching the actual services, so you can rest assured that it will work the same as before after this next update.

I just have to take the time to wire it all together.

Crysis2

Dec 24, 2012
tehran
I do. I have setup a beta community on Google plus, but I haven't released a beta yet. The next version is in alpha. It's nearly done, but it is probably the most complicated release I have ever done, so I'm a little nervous.

To make the in app purchase work, I essentially had to merge the free and paid version. You start with the free version and of you upgrade via in app purchase it will automatically restart the app in pro mode.

It's working great, but that's just on my phone and my wife's phone. I plan to put a beta out this weekend and hopefully invite some testers this week.

In the meantime, I have setup www.DontPause.me so people will have a place to go for information. I would like to add a Faq to it at some point, but right now the site is just a simple one page setup.

Thanks to everyone who continues to support the progress. I have a few projects going on in addition to family life and working full time, but I try to push updates when I can. I am always active on XDA and my emails at support@dontpause.me, and Pierce.trent@gmail.com go straight to my phone, so I always reply within a short time.

Right now the free and pro version work great. Ever since I added the feature that makes it capture and restore the notification volume I have had great feedback. I won't be touching the actual services, so you can rest assured that it will work the same as before after this next update.

I just have to take the time to wire it all together.

Will be very happy to helping with test even alpha version.

tpierce89

Oct 29, 2008
Alabama
Will be very happy to helping with test even alpha version.

I'll get a link posted up here after all this severe weather. I'm packing all my things to get away from these storms as we speak. Luckily, I have my trusty new laptop packed so the source code is safe with me.

If all goes well, I'll get back to coding late tonight and I'll try to get the link up before tomorrow's round of storms.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't Pause!

6JyXtSCl.png
    z257ek8l.png

My wife and her friend recently came to Android from the iPhone. Their only main complaint was that when they are listening to music in their cars and they get a notification, the music pauses for a second or two to play the notification sound.

I was unable to find any apps out there that handle this, so I created one called "Don't Pause".

It requires no configuration in its most basic form. Just download "Don't Pause and click the start button to start the service. It runs in the background and whenever you start music, the app will put your phone into vibrate mode. After you stop the music, "Don't Pause" changes your phone back to normal volume. It is that simple. There are also many settings that enable you to tweak the app to fit your needs.

I have added in a "Tablet mode" to support devices that do not have a vibrate mode. If the standard mode is not working for you, just go into the settings and check the box for "Silence notifications only". This will silence your notification stream and leave the others as they were.

Don't Pause now stores your volume preference and restores your preferred volume after the service is stopped.

The free version of Don't Pause now has an In-App purchase option to seamlessly upgrade to pro without having to download another app. Look for this option in the settings menu.

Thanks for checking it out.

Don't Pause is now Open Source. Check out the code on GitHub or fork it and help me continue making it better.

If you use my code, all I ask is that you give me credit in your project.​

Help translate Don't Pause by filling out this short Google Form​

Change log:

Code:
    Changes:
        v3.52 -- Material UI update. I also added in a feature that will keep Dont Pause from setting your ringer to loud if you reboot your device in vibrate mode.
        v3.3-v3.51 -- tweaks, mods, tests, beta testing, xposed testing, etc. Too much to list and most of it was scrapped.
        v3.2 -- The long awaited update is here. I have finally fixed the bug that was setting your notification volume too high. Now, when you are using tablet mode, the app will store your notification volume on start, and it will restore your volume to your setting when you stop the service. 
        v3.1 -- Finally updated the old 2x1 widget, and added full russian translation.
        v3.0 -- Fixed the settings menu for people using Android 2.1-3.0. Lowered exit notification volume, Improved the look of the widget.
        v2.8 -- gave control back to the user when the service is running but music is not playing, changed notification icon, added tablet mode into the free version, added compatibility for Android 2.1+
        v2.4 -- Added preference screen for advertisements and notification otpion. Cleaned up unused code.
        v2.3 -- Localization of some strings and widget fixes/mods.
        v2.2 -- Added the 1x1 widget that many people requested
        v2.1 -- Added 2x1 home screen widget and persistent notification for the status bar.
        v2.0 -- Initial Public release

***IF YOU ARE USING GOOGLE DRIVE TO OBTAIN THE APP, MAKE SURE TO UNINSTALL THE OLD VERSION BEFORE INSTALLING THE NEW VERSION TO ENSURE COMPATIBILITY***​

***DISCLAIMER - there is an interstitial ad when you click to stop the service. That is the only time you will see an ad. Did not want anyone to think I was trying to cover anything up.***

XDA:DevDB Information
    Don't Pause, App for the Android General

Contributors
    tpierce89, SystemErrorOne

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.52
    Stable Release Date: 2014-09-09
    Current Beta Version: 3.51
    Beta Release Date: 2014-09-08

Created 2014-05-01
    Last Updated 2014-09-09
    Could you please attach an APK to the OP? Some people don't use Gapps :)

Also very nice idea :good:

P.S. I fixed your embedded YouTube video :cyclops:

haha, thanks. That embedded video was driving me crazy. I added a direct link to my Google Drive so anyone can download it there. :good:
    Open source!!!

It has been a few weeks since I updated here, but I have to make an announcement that many people will be glad to hear. Don't Pause is now Open Source! I was hesitant to open it up and let everyone see my work, but I have spent countless hours building and refining this app, so I am proud to show it off. This morning I went through every class that I wrote and cleaned it up and commented it so hopefully the average user can understand what everything does.

I would have never become a developer if it was not for all the other open source developers who came before me. I have reviewed thousands of lines of other peoples code for reference while developing all of my apps over the years Now it is your turn to use mine for reference. Take my code and look through it. You may be surprised to see how much actually went into an app that seems so simple.

If you are a developer on GitHub, then join in on the fun. Let's make it better. I am going to create a few issues that I would love to collaborate with others on. If you see something that could be done better then go ahead and change it.

I have chosen to use the Apache License for Don't Pause. If you have any specific questions or inquiries regarding this, feel free to PM me or email me.

I hope this enables someone to created the Xposed module I have been unable to build, or the whitelist I haven't finished. If anything, maybe a rom developer can add some functionality directly into their rom and you wont need my app in the future.

If you do use my code, all I ask is that you give me credit somewhere. I hope I am able to find a developer job in the future, so even a small amount of credit helps. Also, If you use my code in your project, feel free to come back here or PM me and tell me about it. I would like to see what others can do with it.

If you have read this far then I commend you. AppGratis is promoting Don't Pause on July 5th. To unlock the pro version for free, you just need AppGratis installed and you can download it from them on July 5th. Feel free to buy the in app upgrade if you want, but if you can wait, you can get it free on July 5th.

Here is a link to the project on my GitHub.

Don't Pause - Source Code on GitHub

Thanks for the continued support.​
    Could you please attach an APK to the OP? Some people don't use Gapps :)

Also very nice idea :good:

P.S. I fixed your embedded YouTube video :cyclops:
    Here's the finished product. Hopefully I'll have the update ready tonight. Time to sleep now.

vezezy4e.jpg