[Arc/S] [PRO] Root for 4.0.4 ICS Update [4.1.B.0.431+4.1.B.0.587]

Search This thread

Droid Ghost

Jun 22, 2012
Perfect...so now just follow the steps below (DO NOT CONNECT THE PHONE TO THE COMPUTER YET)

1. download the the lt18i_4.1.B.0.431_kernel_down_upgrade file if you haven't already from http://www.mediafire.com/?twn09p8ekug46f7
(It is the LT18i kernel but you can use it)

2. extract the file, you will have two files called 1_lt18i_4.1.B.0.431_kernelDowngrade.ftf and 2_lt18i_4.1.B.0.431_kernelUpgrade

3. open flashtool (do not click on the flash mode)

4. drag and drop the 1_lt18i_4.1.B.0.431_kernelDowngrade.ftf into flashtools main window and the flash mode window will automatically open with the ftf

5. check the No Final Verification box and click on OK

6. Flashtool will ask you to turn off your device, hold the back button and connect the phone so do that anc click OK

7. it will start flashing the downgrade kernel..Once it is done disconnect the phone from the computer and CLOSE FLASHTOOL (Closing flashtool is very important)

8. Start your phone, check USB debugging and Unknown sources and root using DoomLord's Tool like you did before.....
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1601038

9. After you have finished rooting disconnect the phone...close the command prompt and turn off your phone.

10. You said you already have the lt15i_4.1.B.0.587_kernel_only .ftf.... if not download it from http://minus.com/l2nHaaZknNLkx

11. Open flashtool, drag and drop the lt15i_4.1.B.0.587_kernel_only.ftf into flashtools main window.

12. repeat the process from step 5, 6 and 7.

13. Thats it...you are on a rooted 4.1.B.0.587

b_nikz thank you for those brilliant instructions, the best I've seen yet, no grey areas. I'll try that later today. :good:

androaft

Aug 30, 2012
BIG Problem in Rooting

I tried to root my Sony Ericsson Xperia pro (MK16i) using above method.(bootlocker unlocked)
1. Downloaded ready to root mk16i ftf file
2. Connected My Mobile in flash mode
3. Using flashTool I flashed the ftf file on mobile
Now phone is not restarted for 15 mins, So I tried to restart manually But whoaa It is not restarting neither connecting in flash mode to PC
What may be the solution??
Please help soon!

sadique_shiblee

Apr 7, 2010
Dhaka
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Have you tried removing the battery?
Does your display light lit up. Or does it shows boot image?

If you dont, try it. Try to reflash the kernel again from fastboot mode. Hope that will solve the issue...

Sent from my Pro using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

I tried to root my Sony Ericsson Xperia pro (MK16i) using above method.(bootlocker unlocked)
1. Downloaded ready to root mk16i ftf file
2. Connected My Mobile in flash mode
3. Using flashTool I flashed the ftf file on mobile
Now phone is not restarted for 15 mins, So I tried to restart manually But whoaa It is not restarting neither connecting in flash mode to PC
What may be the solution??
Please help soon!

remove your batery
wait for few seconds
if possible get an img format kernel like- boot.img
press and hold menu button, switch on the phone through power button
flash tool will say your mobile is connected in fastboot mode
from fast boot mode reflash the kernel.img file [if possible go for stock kernel]
install a stock rom

think that will help you...

Here is the Stock ICS .587 kernel for Xperia Pro with CWM and Root..

Download Link - http://minus.com/luzbuqsNMkIZd [thanks to heinrichkaiser]

Last edited:

Droid Ghost

Jun 22, 2012
b_nikz one problem I encountered before I even got going, when I tried to drag and drop the downgrade file to the flashtool window, it wouldn't let me. I tried cutting and pasting and that didn't work either. I can drag and drop anywhere else on my PC.

b_nikz

Mar 16, 2012
Mumbai
b_nikz one problem I encountered before I even got going, when I tried to drag and drop the downgrade file to the flashtool window, it wouldn't let me. I tried cutting and pasting and that didn't work either. I can drag and drop anywhere else on my PC.
if thats the case you are not dragging it in the main window where the log is mentioned...where it specifically says You can drag and drop ftf files here to start flashing them.....

If it still doesn't work then go to C:/Flashtool/firmwares and paste the ftf files there. That way you will get the option for flashing the respective ftf's once you click on Flash mode.

Droid Ghost

Jun 22, 2012
if thats the case you are not dragging it in the main window where the log is mentioned...where it specifically says You can drag and drop ftf files here to start flashing them.....

If it still doesn't work then go to C:/Flashtool/firmwares and paste the ftf files there. That way you will get the option for flashing the respective ftf's once you click on Flash mode.

Hi b_nikz,

I was dragging into the main window, but it just wouldn't go. I tried everywhere in the window (may be something to do with permissions). Anyway, I inserted the file into the firmware folder, opened the flashtool, chose the flash mode and found the file in the window that I inserted into the firmware folder and continued from there. My phone is now rooted. Thanks once again.

Please note that in the video that shows how to root the phone, it tells you to open up a command prompt, but you don't need to do that. You just find the ADB.exe file in the 'files' folder, run it, then click on 'Run.bat'. That works fine.

Last edited:

Sinnlosvoll

Aug 30, 2012
Hey, i have followed the steps and now i have a rooted arc s with the .431 build.
but i just can't seem to flash the .587 kernel onto it.
flashtool says flashing done. phone will reboot but it dosn't reboot.
do you know where my problem could be?

Droid Ghost

Jun 22, 2012
Hey, i have followed the steps and now i have a rooted arc s with the .431 build.

Try closing the flashtool, disconnecting phone, and reboot the phone manually.

GoldenRazz

Jan 25, 2012
Does Post 3 works with locked bootloader?

I have 4.1.B.0.587 and want to flash the kernel then root it and then flash back the 4.1.B.0.587 Kernel.

Is it possible?

Last edited:

b_nikz

Mar 16, 2012
Mumbai
hey mate!!! the reason for that is because you haven't actually upgraded the basic firmware yet!! what you would need to do if you dont have the option to upgrade OTA is to upgrade via PCC to a non-rooted .587, downgrade the kernel, root the phone with DoomLord's tool and upgrade the kernel again. after you upgrade the basic firmware to .587 you can follow the steps in my post #680 on page 68. You cant just flash a .587 kernel on a basic .431 firmware. it won't work that way...

P.S if you can't upgrade via PCC due to any reason just use this link to download the firmware for the stock .587
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63537096/LT18i_4.1.B.0.587_Sony.rar

Last edited:

jithuelad

Jun 18, 2012
Kerala
for 4.1.B.0.587, in the first step you are telling to flash with a kernel and pointed to a mediafire link. But that zip file contains two ttf files inside that.
So which one is correct ?

Files are :
1_lt18i_4.1.B.0.431_kernelDowngrade.ftf
2_lt18i_4.1.B.0.431_kernelUpgrade.ftf

Osama Zabin

Oct 4, 2010
for 4.1.B.0.587, in the first step you are telling to flash with a kernel and pointed to a mediafire link. But that zip file contains two ttf files inside that.
So which one is correct ?

Files are :
1_lt18i_4.1.B.0.431_kernelDowngrade.ftf
2_lt18i_4.1.B.0.431_kernelUpgrade.ftf

I used the kernel downgrade ftf file and my phone was successfully rooted, I didn't use the other ftf kernel upgrade,

Sent from my LT15i using xda premium

shahulhrj

Sep 1, 2012
Al Khobar
Thanks, Kindly advice what to do next

Thanks for the thread.. i have succesfully rooted my phone.. I am a total Noob.. Please kindly tell me what to do next after rooting.. i want arc s to be really fast.. what shud i do? how to remove the bloatwares, how to install a faster rom, kindly guide me..

Some one please tell me a specfic setup for a faster phone.. please

Last edited:

wzearsdcx

Sep 28, 2010
I got root on .587 (kernel downgrade -> doomlord -> kernel upgrade) and... I have question ;) Is it normal, that getting root is so slow? e.g. terminal emulator - I type 'su' and wait wait wait.. and get root access few seconds. Root Explorer from time to time loses root rights (Superuser app shows thats ok). Any advices?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts