Get ready for official Samsung KitKat 4.4.2!!

Search This thread

jazzespresso

Jul 24, 2012
NYC-USA
Leaked version? Does that mean the phone is rooted in order to flash it?

Sent from my iPhone

phone was rooted, but once leaked version installed, root was gone of course...it was offical leaked version for s4, so did not see anything weird as far as SD card limitation goes...
at least, this is 4.4.2 for Samsung S4, but I don't see it will be diffrent for other devices (note 3, note 8, samsung S3..etc)...ohh well, we will see when we get 4.4.2 for our note 8.0!
I am actually more worry about 4.4.2 Note 8.0 rooting, removing knox than SD stuff since there are not many developers here in Note 8.0 threads..you know what I mean.

chris096

Jun 29, 2012
I don't see any official information on the web about eu versions... i just hope samsung won't upgrade us version only...

Inviato dal mio GT-N5110 utilizzando Tapatalk

intelliriffer

Sep 7, 2012
New Delhi
What makes me curious is what all there is in Kit Kat (especially for touchwiz and samsung) that every body is so desperate about.
If it comes with knox, most likely downgrading back to 4.2.2 would be near impossible. apart from some other issues being reported.

I just disabled OTA updates as don't want to install something before it's tried and tested by masses. If Samsung breaks something intrinsic again like s-pen in earlier 4.2 updates , they gonna take another eternity to release a fix.

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
where do you live my friend? not to be rude...all Samsung 4.3 comes with KNOX, so does all 4.4.2 too...

Just across the river from you actually. But my point was that I am not familiar with any source that claimed that all Samsung 4.3 comes with KNOX. Yes, it came on my S4, but was well known in advance. I have heard nothing regarding the Note 8. If you can show me where the info is coming from, I'll take it.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Do we get the new magazine ui?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

Nobody here can tell you that. My best guess would be no.

aksity

Nov 24, 2006
Paris, FR
Hi everybody,
(Sorry i'm french, i don't speak english very well)...
I hope this update will be soon avaible in France...
BUT, when i want to see updates, there is a message : "This phone has been modified, no officials updates avaible"... :'(

gabripranzo

Aug 26, 2012
phone was rooted, but once leaked version installed, root was gone of course...it was offical leaked version for s4, so did not see anything weird as far as SD card limitation goes...
at least, this is 4.4.2 for Samsung S4, but I don't see it will be diffrent for other devices (note 3, note 8, samsung S3..etc)...ohh well, we will see when we get 4.4.2 for our note 8.0!
I am actually more worry about 4.4.2 Note 8.0 rooting, removing knox than SD stuff since there are not many developers here in Note 8.0 threads..you know what I mean.

We could install the new firmware with mobile Odin: it should avoid the Knox stuff and maybe would keep root. Of course we don't know if 4.2.2 bootloader will be compatible with new firmwares.

Sent from Galaxy Note 8.0 GT–N5100

Agfadoc

Nov 8, 2007
Green Bay, WI.
Hi everybody,
BUT, when i want to see updates, there is a message : "This phone has been modified, no officials updates avaible"... :'(

Do you have an sd card in the Note? If so, mine always says this until I remove the sd card and reboot. Not sure why.

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
Hi everybody,

Well, that would be because you modified your phone. Apparently just rooting trips it at least it did for me. Easy fix, ODIN a stock ROM and update OTA. Don't even have to wipe anything. But why worry about it now, we don't know when an update will land.

Stock ROMs can be found here:
http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

or here (if you have the Wifi only N5110 model)
http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=GT-N5110

Otherwise, find your model from that link

Last edited:

jgaiche

Dec 29, 2008
Well, that would be because you modified your phone. Apparently just rooting trips it at least it did for me. Easy fix, ODIN a stock ROM and update OTA. Don't even have to wipe anything. But why worry about it now, we don't know when an update will land.

Stock ROMs can be found here:
***Link Removed***

or here (if you have the Wifi only N5110 model)
***Link Removed***

Otherwise, find your model from that link

I'm in the same position and will probably need to download a stock rom too. I'm in the US, but I don't see any region codes for the US. I searched a bit and find listings for the Samsung region codes, but I don't see one for the United States. I know I'm missing something. Can someone tell me what I'm missing ? Thanks :)

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
I'm in the same position and will probably need to download a stock rom too. I'm in the US, but I don't see any region codes for the US. I searched a bit and find listings for the Samsung region codes, but I don't see one for the United States. I know I'm missing something. Can someone tell me what I'm missing ? Thanks :)

I believe XAR is the region code, which is listed as Cellular South, whatever that means. I know I flashed an XAR ROM for 4.1.2 that I found somewhere on this forum, and then it automatically updated me to 4.2.2. Samsung-updates.com XAR ROM seems to be the correct one for 4.2.2, and the file name matches what I see as the version on my tab. I would advise you to maybe ask this question separately on the forum before you go ahead and flash.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

4.4.2 will be nice cant wait. Wonder wht 4.3 will have.

Probably not getting 4.3. As far as what 4.3 may have had and what 4.4 will have, the short answer is nothing. The long answer is the version number bump, a KitKat color scheme for the top bar, some tweaks to the way multiwindow looks and works, and probably some behind-the-scenes changes to the system and kernel. But nothing you will readily notice and certainly nothing to be excited about. Don't expect any Note 3 features to make their way here, and don't expect battery life to change one way or the other. Oh yea, your apps will lose the ability to write to the external SD card. This can be fixed with root. KitKat is really just a minor update to Jelly Bean.

Reactions: jgaiche

tabby83

Mar 3, 2014
I believe XAR is the region code, which is listed as Cellular South, whatever that means. I know I flashed an XAR ROM for 4.1.2 that I found somewhere on this forum, and then it automatically updated me to 4.2.2. Samsung-updates.com XAR ROM seems to be the correct one for 4.2.2, and the file name matches what I see as the version on my tab. I would advise you to maybe ask this question separately on the forum before you go ahead and flash.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

Probably not getting 4.3. As far as what 4.3 may have had and what 4.4 will have, the short answer is nothing. The long answer is the version number bump, a KitKat color scheme for the top bar, some tweaks to the way multiwindow looks and works, and probably some behind-the-scenes changes to the system and kernel. But nothing you will readily notice and certainly nothing to be excited about. Don't expect any Note 3 features to make their way here, and don't expect battery life to change one way or the other. Oh yea, your apps will lose the ability to write to the external SD card. This can be fixed with root. KitKat is really just a minor update to Jelly Bean.

Idk my battery life isnt tht bad I can do 4-7 hrs of listening to google play and gamming. Which isnt too bad for a android. Most phones ive had dont even get 3 to 4 hrs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    samsung are too busy releasing bunch of other different low end tablets with kitkat.... takes them forever to update their devices im sick of it, devs in forums have fully working 4.4.2 builds and samsung just cant do it on time whats the deal???

It's really very simple. All new Samsung models ship with the current OS. At least that's how it has been in recent history. All Samsung models that are slated to get updated to KK, will be updated to KK eventually. What a lot of people fail to understand is that Samsung devices are not Apple devices. You have different screen sizes, different chipsets, different resolutions, and even pen input on certain devices. The Note 8 is significantly different from the Galaxy S4, whereas the iPad Mini Retina is not all that different from the iPhone 5S. All of this means that every tablet needs to have a ROM written and optimized specifically for it.

As far as devs having their own ROMs, that argument is non sequitur. Samsung provides warranty for their product and their ROMs are tested to provide as perfect of an experience as possible. That is what is expected of them after all. Third party ROMs are provided with no guarantee or expectation of performance/reliability of any kind. Do you really want Samsung to throw together a ROM in the same way that our devs do, and leave the actual testing and bug reports to the end users? Are we paying money to be Samsung's beta testers?

And most importantly, due to the way Google is doing things, the actual version number matters less than in the past. Google updates all of their core apps and services irrespective of the actual ROM version that your device is running. Think about it, is there any difference between youtube, Gmail, play store, etc between ICS and KK? Unless you have an actual problem that you are hoping Samsung will fix with an update, I promise you that the official KK ROM will bring you absolutely nothing, just like with the Galaxy S4. It's really time for people to stop whining about the version number and just enjoy the tablet that I am 100% sure is not giving you any significant issues. And really, you all know how Android updates work, and I am sure you knew it going in. If not, you didn't do your homework. If having the latest version number is something that is paramount to you, you need a Nexus device or an Apple device. But good luck finding one with a digitizer, which I am assuming is the reason you bought the Note.
    This indeed good news for Note 8.0 owners!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/18/samsung-provides-list-of-which-us-galaxy-smartphones-and-tablets-will-see-kitkat-in-the-coming-months/

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/18/samsung-kitkat-us/

Offical Samsung PR release note:

http://www.samsungmobileuspress.com/2014/02/18/Samsung-Confirms-KitKat-for-U.S.-Smartphones-and-Tablets

EDIT 5/12/2014:

Update Official 4.4.2 Firmware Releases:

================================================== ===========
    Model: GT-N5100
    Model name: GALAXY Note 8.0
    Version: Android 4.4.2
    Changelist: N/A
    Build date: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000
    Product Code: XEO
    PDA: N5100XXDND8
    CSC: N5100OXADND8
    MODEM: N5100XXDND8
    Download: http://samsung-updates.com/details/27854/Galaxy_Note_8.0_3G/WIFI/GT-N5100/XEO/N5100XXDND8.html

EDIT 5/19/2014:

Update Official 4.4.2 Firmware Releases:

Model: GT-N5110
    Model name: GALAXY Note 8.0 Wi-Fi
    Version: Android 4.4.2
    Changelist: N/A
    Build date: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000
    Product Code: BTU
    PDA: N5110XXDNE1
    CSC: N5110OXADNE1
    MODEM: N5110XXDNE1
    Download: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=29611
    I'm not interested in Kit Kat. It has limited the access to my SD card and I can't see what it has given in return.

I'm more interested in a New Note 8 but it doesn't look like it is coming.

You're basing your judgment of Kit Kat on leaks and AOSP builds for devices that the code was not written for. The difference between our open source developer community and a manufacturer, the development community will release a build before every bug has been squashed whereas Samsung will continue to work on the code until they feel it is worthy of being released to the consumer.

There will be no problem accessing your external memory on an official 4.4.2 Kit Kat release from Samsung. It is up to the application developers to fix the external memory issue within the code in the app they are publishing, Google should be pushing these developers to incorporate the fix or start removing their apps from the Play store.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    It was said MARCH, not necesssrily this YEAR:)
    I wonder how long it'll take for us Canadians to get it... lol