How do I watch video files on my phone from my PC over WiFi?

Search This thread

Hysterics

Mar 7, 2012
Edit: Oh wow that was really simple, program called 'File Manager' with over a million downloads from the play store, accessed my network instantly. Sorry for the stupid question, leaving this up so other people with the same question can find it via the search tool.

Ok so the Note is awesome for media. My problem is organization, If I want to step outside and watch something while sitting on the porch I have to copy the files over currently. I'm assuming there's probably a way to be able to view files over WiFi and access them without actually copying, streaming them ect?

Last edited:

netsyd

Jul 3, 2006
Another option is to use something like Mirage (beta) and a streaming video application like Air Video Server.

The benefit of this is that the video server handles file formats that your Note doesn't.

redeuxx

Aug 31, 2010
USA
ribbed.us
I have a DLNA media server running on one of my computers and use Vplayer to access my media.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

eviltango

Apr 17, 2012
Edit: Oh wow that was really simple, program called 'File Manager' with over a million downloads from the play store, accessed my network instantly. Sorry for the stupid question, leaving this up so other people with the same question can find it via the search tool.

Ok so the Note is awesome for media. My problem is organization, If I want to step outside and watch something while sitting on the porch I have to copy the files over currently. I'm assuming there's probably a way to be able to view files over WiFi and access them without actually copying, streaming them ect?

Sorry for bring noob but how exactly fo you accomplish it with that app. I it looks no different than astro file manager.
Please positive constructive feedback:)

Send from the Noteorious BIG 5.3" Bell Canada

eviltango

Apr 17, 2012
I ended up downloading it. very cool. I like it

armedmetallica

Sep 24, 2006
New York
I use Remote Potato (server app to install on your PC) and Remote Media Center (android app) w. VPlayer - which works very well... and if you actually use 7MC as your DVR back end, you can even do some nice remote scheduling, etc.

it streams every single file format i have on my server from HD MKVs to raw camcorder recorded m2ts, to .avi.

no copying no nothing.

Bonus: if you are brave enough to poke a hole in your FW rules, OR have vpn connectivity, this works exceptionally well over LTE! I've streamed on my 40 minute commute, through a bridge and a mile+ tunnel, and rarely drop the stream.

littlewierdo

Dec 10, 2010
ES File Explorer.

DNLA sucks and is horribly slow.

Dont know about Plex but if it uses DNLA or any sort of indexing method, Ill pass.

ES File Explorer gives you folder browsing capability rather than reading tags or other nonsense.

It does contain a built in movie and media player as well as a handful of very useful other networking features.

rafkong

Sep 10, 2009
Skifta is pretty decent. It also allows you to stream via 3g/4g.

Similar to Air Video for iOs.

It's entirely free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

juami

Sep 29, 2007
Diceplayer have native FTP/HTTP/SMB support.
Press "Home" icon of diceplayer.
and add SMB/FTP/HTTP bookmarks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You have to pay in order to use this?

Plex Android app is not free. But for desktop OS's, it is free(server and client).

I personally prefer Plex over DLNA for ease of use, as well as remote access while away from home.