[ROOT] PROPER Remake of Full Rooted Stock Image (aka Root66) + Easy CWM Install

Search This thread

Tbenson

Jun 30, 2010
I came to (mostly) the same conclusion as the rest of you guys :)

Looking at the 'working' version, it's just a straight up ext4 image. Loopback-mountable straight out of the box (after untaring, of course).

So, I dropped the -s off of the mkuserimage.sh command. Seems to be flashing now.

EDIT:

Ok--yes, it flashed. However, now it hangs at the Galaxy SIII logo.

Getting late here; I'm going back to stock for now and I'll check in tomorrow.

One of the things that stands out from the output of running the below

Code:
./simg2img system.img.ext4 newsys.img.ext4
computed crc32 of 0x67bae0a7, expected 0x00000000

The checksum after is not meeting what's expected. Not sure if this was the reason I couldn't flash the file. (invalid ext4 file)

I too have to head to bed. We see what tomorrow brings.

invisiblek

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Minnesota
www.invisiblek.org
I came to (mostly) the same conclusion as the rest of you guys :)

Looking at the 'working' version, it's just a straight up ext4 image. Loopback-mountable straight out of the box (after untaring, of course).

So, I dropped the -s off of the mkuserimage.sh command. Seems to be flashing now.

EDIT:

Ok--yes, it flashed. However, now it hangs at the Galaxy SIII logo.

Getting late here; I'm going back to stock for now and I'll check in tomorrow.

skip the mkuserimg command completely, that should do it. just unmount the image and use that to flash

One of the things that stands out from the output of running the below

Code:
./simg2img system.img.ext4 newsys.img.ext4
computed crc32 of 0x67bae0a7, expected 0x00000000

The checksum after is not meeting what's expected. Not sure if this was the reason I couldn't flash the file. (invalid ext4 file)

I too have to head to bed. We see what tomorrow brings.

that is normal, i remember seeing that

Reactions: Tbenson and eckzow

jdubau55

Sep 1, 2010
Radford, VA
I flashed the stripped version, but couldn't get ADB to install any of the removed apps. Root Browser also couldn't install any apps either.

I installed the non-stripped with root and now messaging FC. That's a pretty much needed app IMHO.

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010

Gamer113

Dec 14, 2010
Hollywood, Florida
Could someone list all issues with the other rooted rom so I can compare to my phone.

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Last edited:

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Could someone list all issues with the other rooted romantic so I can compare to my phone.

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

I just tried the rooted last night and Messaging app kept crashing. Also predictive text wasn't working and T9 Swipe as well, among a few other minor things here and there. Pretty much what everyone else has mentioned so far. Haven't found the Sprint elements yet but those issues are definitely there.

sneakysolidbake

Oct 12, 2009
Michigan
An easy work around for the messaging issue would be to flash the stock android messaging app from invis's thread.
Also install an ics keyboard from the market, Samsung one is atrocious IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
I think the key issue is that we actually have to "workaround" things. If that rooted system.img is really just stock + Superuser/su there is no reason why we should be experiencing anything different from stock.

dagokun

Mar 3, 2009
Thanks to everyone for working hard! Not sure if this has been said and done already, but
I checked md5 on the stock image available from Samsung-updates.com and the one I downloaded using Checkfus to make sure 2 files are the same.

Samsung-Updates.com-SCH-I535_VZW_1_20120705143513_fti2qg2lmf
md5: EE893E6E082ACCA60C59B0D374D6A2AC

SCH-I535_VZW_1_20120705143513_fti2qg2lmf
md5: EE893E6E082ACCA60C59B0D374D6A2AC

I am not sure where CheckFus downloads firmware from (hopefully not Samsung-updates server...) but two should be the same based on md5.
If flashing one of these files get rid of the sprint options and other problems, most likely they are indeed for our phones?
I dont think the OP of the original root image would make it out of other GS3 system image, so the problem may be due to something else...
I feel that if we use these files to create rooted image, we will most likely end with the same result.

Tbenson

Jun 30, 2010
I just used the stripped version that invisiblek posted. Then pushed Then apks that i want. Keyboard works and have no issues so far.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

BungeBash

Sep 19, 2007
Ohio
I just used the stripped version that invisiblek posted. Then pushed Then apks that i want. Keyboard works and have no issues so far.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Are you willing to do a factory reset on the device and confirm that it stays working? I'm still waiting to get off work before I can dive back into the roms.

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Are you willing to do a factory reset on the device and confirm that it stays working? I'm still waiting to get off work before I can dive back into the roms.

Here's a theory I'm interested in trying.

1. Flash full stock image
2. Flash the "supposedly broken" rooted system.img that is in that thread
3. Flash CWM recovery
4. Take the full stock image, untar it, then
- Delete recovery.img (stock recovery), retar it again OR
- Delete everything besides system.img.ext4, retar it again OR
- Delete everything besides system.img.ext4, convert it with simg2img.sh, retar it again
5. Flash the new modified full stock image (now it doesn't reflash recovery to stock)
6. Boot and confirming everything is working
7. Boot in CWM recovery (which still stayed from before) and just flash Superuser.zip to root

Last edited:

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010

3. Flash CWM recovery
- Delete everything besides system.img.ext4, convert it with simg2img.sh, retar it again
5. Flash the new modified full stock image (now it doesn't reflash recovery to stock)
7. Boot in CWM recovery (which still stayed from before) and just flash Superuser.zip to root

i made root injected images for att in this thread.
you guys want me to try a vzw one?

skaforey

Nov 5, 2009
San Diego, CA
Please do sir!

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

3. Flash CWM recovery

If you flash the stock once you are rooted, do you lose root? If so, how about just installing Voodoo OTA root keeper before restoring the stock image and then you're good to go with root again?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOLVED - How to flash the Proper (Fixed) Stock Rooted Image

Description: This is 100% stock with just Superuser/su added and overwrites every partition to stock but keeps your personal data, apps, settings the same (just like the stock factory image).

Samsung Official USB Drivers - Link
    ODIN v3.07 - Link
    Proper Rooted Stock Image - Download or (Torrent Link) - MD5 = be4350a56e739eaf7a4184352d653a7b

1. Install USB drivers
    2. Download ODIN v3.07
    3. Backup your data
    4. OPTIONAL: Do a factory reset (highly recommended if you have issues with your current ROM)
    ***WARNING: Step #4 will erase internal storage but not microSD card***
    5. Download the above Proper Rooted Stock Image file and extract the tar file from inside it
    6. Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
    7. Flash the extracted tar file using ODIN v3.07

You should now have a like new condition stock image and rooted with all issues resolved.

Credit goes completely to mrRobinson for creating this image for us. Thank you sir. :) (Original Post) + (Details How It Was Made)

To Install Official CWM Recovery

1. After following above process, download "Rom Manager" from the Play Store
    2. Open Rom Manager
    3. Select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
    4. Select "Samsung Galaxy S3 (Verizon)" down at the bottom and let it flash
    5. Once completed you can reboot to CWM by selecting "Reboot into Recovery" from Rom Manager

ORIGINAL REQUEST

After various testing, it seems many users are experiencing various issues with the rooted System.img provided by the OP in this thread. Many report findings of "Sprint related elements" as well as various keyboard issues and things not working as they should. I wish I had the knowledge myself but on behalf of the community, I'd like to request for someone with knowledge of this guide to remake the same rooted system.img as in the original but this time confirmed with using the original stock Verizon SCH-I535 image downloadable here.

I'm sure many of us here would highly appreciate this effort and we can also carry out further testing as many users reported that soon as they flash back to that stock image, their issues have disappeared and everything starts working properly.

I will quote another user in reference to this:

Just formatted back to stock until issues can be resolved. The stock image (which I'm told this root is + su) lost all Sprint instances and any strange extra options. Also the Keyboards are back to functioning. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I feel that the root image has more going on with it than what we are told.

Here's to hoping one of you knowledgeable developers are able to assist us with this request. :)
    Here you go guys. Nice clean rooted image.
    Download Here.

follow same instr. i posted here.

be4350a56e739eaf7a4184352d653a7b stock.vzw_root66.7z
    Well by the solved status i see it worked. I have att so I'm in those threads more just saw this and figured i'd help. I'll remove my link tmr (it was just a temp) but looks like you guys have a good torrent going so should be fine. I have posted in the att thread more how i did this just search for my posts there if you care. but as you guys found out that mkuserimage.sh never gave me a valid ext4 so i did the first part with sim2img and then forced an e2fsck, did the resize2fs, removed lost + found and then repackaged. That's it.
    This is completely stock, nothing stripped, just added su and the Superuser.apk.

if you put recovery on i have a debloater aroma utility i maintain here for an easy way to safely strip things off...

don't have a specific vzw section but most things are the same.
    Need a little help here lol. I flashed the root66 file in Odin and when my SG3 rebooted I see this overlay with system settings and info on my homescreen:

20120715_0959591.jpg

There was a brief pop-up window that said the device was in Factory Mode I think. How do I get out of this mode? A reboot and a battery pull didn't have any effect. Thanks.

Edit: Found solution searching xda. If anyone else gets stuck in Factory Mode after flashing, do this:

Open a terminal emulator
    Type su
    Then enter the following after the #
    echo -n ON > /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode

(yes ON is the correct setting to turn it off)

Then I had to reboot for the change to take effect. FYI, I had to go through initial setup after the reboot.

3. Flash CWM recovery