[MOD][8/19][VRALG1] - CRT Power Down Animation - Odex / De-Odex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
Sure, just give me a few files to try and I'll step through one at a time tonight.

Well, I its the surfaceflinger file so I would start with downloading other ROMS that are based on our chipset, like the Sprint version for example and try there build.

But in all honesty, its almost identical to our build so it may also have the problem. It seems like an error that Samsung needs to fix thats why flashing those other files is just a shot in the dard.

Not 100% sure, someone else will have to chime in.

Reactions: cleblanc92

loismustdie555

Aug 12, 2011
Seattle - USA
Well, I its the surfaceflinger file so I would start with downloading other ROMS that are based on our chipset, like the Sprint version for example and try there build.

But in all honesty, its almost identical to our build so it may also have the problem. It seems like an error that Samsung needs to fix thats why flashing those other files is just a shot in the dard.

Just tried it and it works but I still get the screen flash and I get it a lot and I was never using a live wallpaper.

&roid

Mar 2, 2011

Other carrier versions produce the same problem. I've tried them.

((all hail the African Canadian sock monkey))

Sycobob

Aug 30, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
Unless someone has explicitly patched the libs for the other variants, I highly doubt any of them will work. It looks like Samsung has quit bothering to maintain the CRT methods in their libs going forward.

Scott

Other carrier versions produce the same problem. I've tried them.

((all hail the African Canadian sock monkey))

Unless someone has explicitly patched the libs for the other variants, I highly doubt any of them will work. It looks like Samsung has quit bothering to maintain the CRT methods in their libs going forward.

Ok well, Thats what I figured but it was worth a shot.

Looks like we are going to have to go deep on this... Or scrap it....

Anythoughts on how we can port the fix into this lib without building it from scratch and importing CM9 Code? And even then?

Also, has anyone tried the CM9 lib.

IM just brainstorming.

Sycobob

Aug 30, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA

Anythoughts on how we can port the fix into this lib without building it from scratch and importing CM9 Code? And even then?

IM just brainstorming.

AFAIK we can't build the lib from scratch. There's no source available and it's likely more complicated that it's worth write yourself (akin to trying to write your own driver). I don't know if libs are included in source releases or whether they fall under the 'proprietary drivers' category. So if/when Samsung releases ICS/JB source, I don't know if it will remedy this situation or not.

That said, it appears to be a rather simple fix. The process looks to be:

1. Open the lib file (I think this is done with a hex editor. The file is compiled and signed in some way such that pulling it apart isn't really viable. It also has a fixed size that can't change.)
  2. Find the correct spots to add the CM9 code referenced in one of the earlier links
  3. Remove a few unimportant lines to make room for the added code

And that's it. It's not really any different than opening up an apk and adding a few lines. The only problem/question is how to edit lib files. I ended up opening it with a random hex editor and I can see a portion that is readable and consistent with the source that goes into it. I even found one of the function calls that need to be tweak. The problem was that it was just garbled enough to have trouble distinguishing where the code went. So either it's going to take a little deduction and trial and error, or I'm wrong about the hex editor and there's an easier way to do it.

In any case, learn how to edit lib files, and it's trivial to accomplish, since someone else has done the real legwork.

Reactions: Scott

Scott

AFAIK we can't build the lib from scratch. There's no source available and it's likely more complicated that it's worth write yourself (akin to trying to write your own driver). I don't know if libs are included in source releases or whether they fall under the 'proprietary drivers' category. So if/when Samsung releases ICS/JB source, I don't know if it will remedy this situation or not.

1. Open the lib file (I think this is done with a hex editor. The file is compiled and signed in some way such that pulling it apart isn't really viable. It also has a fixed size that can't change.)
  2. Find the correct spots to add the CM9 code referenced in one of the earlier links

And that's it. It's not really any different than opening up an apk and adding a few lines. The only problem/question is how to edit lib files. I ended up opening it with a random hex editor and I can see a portion that is readable and consistent with the source that goes into it. I even found one of the function calls that need to be tweak. The problem was that it was just garbled enough to have trouble distinguishing where the code went. So either it's going to take a little deduction and trial and error, or I'm wrong about the hex editor and there's an easier way to do it.

In any case, learn how to edit lib files, and it's trivial to accomplish, since someone else has done the real legwork.

ICS Source is out for Kernel. I think we would need source for the Adreno drivers, no?

But yes, I agree with everything you say.

jbeitel

Jan 26, 2007
In a Galaxy far far away
beitel.us
This has been reported on the sprint model as well as the verizon one. Look at Bean's rom's changlelog. He removed it at build 6 I believe. When i asked about it he said too many ppl were experiencing the flickering problem.

First time i ever created a boot animation windows put the thumbs.db file in it which would cause a blink. Maybe this is the same?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

jtcressy

Nov 26, 2012
Grand Junction, CO
I know this is a very old thread, but I would like to know if it still works on VRBMF1 firmware? I fit the requirements for everything else. Running an SCH-I535 with a stock deodexed TW rom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the infamous and much asked for CRT Power Down animation affect.

Credits to clark44 for the code! I just ported it to our device :victory:

This is not my Video but rather an illustration of what it does. I just picked a random on YouTube that fit the need.

De-Odex Mod tested on: [Rom][7.26.2012][VRALF2/VRALG1]NoSympathy's Stock OTA 100% deodexed, zipaligned rom

Odex Mod Tested on Stock Rooted VRALG1 Base.

DO NOT FLASH ON CleanROM!
    I have to make a modified version for my ROM! Ironic, huh?

DO NOT FLASH ON AOSP / CMK9/10, AOKP or any Non Touchwiz ROM!!!

MAKE A BACK UP BEFORE FLASHING! Things can go wrong!

Also if you try it on another ROM let me know if it works or doesnt work so I can add to the OP.

Enjoy!

Download HERE
    MOD EDIT: Download link removed with OP's permission.

And please hit Thanks!

-Scott

NOTE: If your a developer and want to use this mod in your own ROM Please do NOT ask me for permission! The answer is yes. Just take it and holler my name somewhere in your thread! I never require permission to use anything I make. To me that goes against the entire principals of open source! I only ask that you give appropriate credits.
    Bummer. Thanks for the info though. Here's a post on how to accomplish it, if anyone is feeling frisky. Looks like you have to make room for some bytecode additions. I'd do it myself if I were familiar with the process or had the time to learn.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26608114#post26608114
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1676378

Im gonna hit up that dev and see if he can help me do it to oputr lib files.

Your a great researcher! Thanks!
    works on synergy nightlies.. thank you Scott! :D

IM just brainstorming.