ROOT

Search This thread

Dr.Luigi

Dec 29, 2011
Hey guys,

I just got a few questions with this,

Will i lose my apps, theme and such when installing only a ROOT?

Also what do you guys prefer as ROOT method goes, Chainfire and Odin?
I've seen a ROOT BAT program a while ago that realy did everything for you, i just can't remember the name at the moment...

With that i would also like to ask what happens if i update my device? Will i still be able to update it when Samsung pushes a new update ?

Would i need a custom flash recovery? I used to have a phone wich i did it on, But as this is more of my expensiver phone i aint looking to realy risk it. and due all my apps info etc, has well over 150 apps.

Thanks everybody ;)

Dr.Luigi

Dec 29, 2011
Bump,

Sorry if nagging but i'm kinda in a rush, if anyone could help me a little?

I basicly know how you most likely root and stuff, just wanna be sure about a few things and what program/apk is best to get into the S3 at 4.3 firmware

Simone98RC

Jun 21, 2013
Reggio Calabria
simonealecci.it
Hey guys,

You might lose data.
Few things can be saved, because you have an official (so unrooted) device.

Odin is needed, Chainfire root is the most famous method.

I've seen a ROOT BAT program a while ago that realy did everything for you, i just can't remember the name at the moment...

Personally I did root with an automatized software, called Unlock Flash.
The better one is Framaroot, but I don't know how it works.

With that i would also like to ask what happens if i update my device? Will i still be able to update it when Samsung pushes a new update ?

You'll lost Samsung warranty (no more assistance support, excluded mine and use for software problems [emoji6]), update check and the access to some proprietary apps (You shouldn't be able to download/update from Galaxy Apps).

Normally when you root the device, a CWM custom recovery is included, otherwise you can simply flash via Odin the excellent Philz Recovery, so you'll be able to flash a new Samsung-based rom (ARHD, ArchiPort, Omega, Imperium... aborting the limited stock) or try the greatful AOSP roms (CyanogenMod, Omnirom, PacRom, etc.).
Also custom kernels (BOEFFLA, Googy Max, ArchiKernel and some others, I prevent to cite you outdated ones) and mods (everything!).

Would i need a custom flash recovery? I used to have a phone wich i did it on, But as this is more of my expensiver phone i aint looking to realy risk it. and due all my apps info etc, has well over 150 apps.

Thanks everybody ;)

Highly recommended, as I said you need this to install a new rom and any other zip file.

For the rest... I haven't understood you.
Can you explain better last things?

Reactions: Dr.Luigi

Dr.Luigi

Dec 29, 2011
You might lose data.

You'll lost Samsung warranty (no more assistance support, excluded mine and use for software problems [emoji6]), update check and the access to some proprietary apps (You shouldn't be able to download/update from Galaxy Apps).

Normally when you root the device, a CWM custom recovery is included, otherwise you can simply flash via Odin the excellent Philz Recovery, so you'll be able to flash a new Samsung-based rom (ARHD, ArchiPort, Omega, Imperium... aborting the limited stock) or try the greatful AOSP roms (CyanogenMod, Omnirom, PacRom, etc.).
Also custom kernels (BOEFFLA, Googy Max, ArchiKernel and some others, I prevent to cite you outdated ones) and mods (everything!).

Highly recommended, as I said you need this to install a new rom and any other zip file.

Well i would only be intrested in ROOT if i can keep all of my files, apps, widgets and such,

I would have done a new ROM if i wouldnt have had so many apps, it would take hours if not days to get everything back as it used to be would be a rather pain in the ***.

Thanks for your help!

Been a while when i unlocked my old device and rommed it undervoltaged it etc etc.

Simone98RC

Jun 21, 2013
Reggio Calabria
simonealecci.it
Well i would only be intrested in ROOT if i can keep all of my files, apps, widgets and such,

I would have done a new ROM if i wouldnt have had so many apps, it would take hours if not days to get everything back as it used to be would be a rather pain in the ***.

Thanks for your help!

Been a while when i unlocked my old device and rommed it undervoltaged it etc etc.

My same problem: too many apps to be restored.
With MyBackupsPRO, the only working without root permissions, you can only keep some settings, contacts, SMS and MMS, then all your apps and games... but without any relative data.
Because as I said you're on an unrooted/official system.

I think you are using an external SD for documents and multimedia files, when you run the first start of your custom rom (highly recommend for the updates, instead the limited stock), be sure that the "Restore data from Google" option is checked.
A discrete help for you, better than nothing.
You have to think that when you did root, backups will be complete, via the greatful Titanium Backup or via recovery with Nandroid backup (my words should be useless if you already have experience with an old device).

Good hacking ;)

As Samsung-based roms I suggest you Android Revolution HD 4.3 or ArchiPort to get the new and officially unsupported 4.4 system.

Pro:
-Compatibility with other Samsung devices;
-Much better camera stabilization than AOSP roms.

Con:
-Touchwiz is heavy for RAM memory and CPU performance;
-Many AOSP functions are completely removed or altered.

As AOSP rom I suggest you CyanogenMod 11, the M builds to have a more stable system, the nightlies for daily updates and less (but always enough) stability.

Pro:
-Latest updates daily/monthly available;
-Many features, AOSP and Cyanogen specific;
-Fully configurable, launcher can be completely replaced, at opposite of Samsung-based roms;
-Greater performance than Samsung-based roms.

Con:
-Some little bug;
-Poor compatibility with Samsung devices and proprietary apps.

As custom kernel, no better one than BOEFFLA: obviously OC and UV support, then lots of functions such "Touch to Wake", a great audio engine, zRAM support, a rich choice of governors and schedulers... it's available for Samsung and many AOSP roms.

Last edited:

Dr.Luigi

Dec 29, 2011
With MyBackupsPRO, the only working without root permissions, you can only keep some settings, contacts, SMS and MMS, then all your apps and games... but without any relative data.

I think you are using an external SD for documents and multimedia files, when you run the first start of your custom rom (highly recommend for the updates, instead the limited stock), be sure that the "Restore data from Google" option is checked.
You have to think that when you did root, backups will be complete, via the greatful Titanium Backup or via recovery with Nandroid backup (my words should be useless if you already have experience with an old device).

Good hacking ;)

As Samsung-based roms I suggest you Android Revolution HD 4.3 or ArchiPort to get the new and officially unsupported 4.4 system.

Pro:

Con:

As AOSP rom I suggest you CyanogenMod 11, the M builds to have a more stable system, the nightlies for daily updates and less (but always enough) stability.

Pro:
-Fully configurable, launcher can be completely replaced, at opposite of Samsung-based roms;

Con:
-Some little bug;

As custom kernel, no better one than BOEFFLA: obviously OC and UV support, then lots of functions such "Touch to Wake", a great audio engine, zRAM support, a rich choice of governors and schedulers... it's available for Samsung and many AOSP roms.

Thanks for the great help,

I aint realy sure yet realy,

But isnt there a way you can simple backup almost everything with the PC?
I thought that was faster, then root it and get those back up on the phone with the PC?

Youve made me thinking realy as my phone was getting slower, Samsung OS isnt that great quiet slow indeed,

I might just drop a few games i dont play realy, so i can get my faster phone back as it used to be.

I used to love tweaking my phone realy, till it broke due rain, was a quiet cheap phone 150e or so.

Do you mind giving your SKYPE or Steam? so i could ask you there, Its been 2 years when i did this, some are kinda floating around in my head but i just cant remember it all anymore.

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/development-i9305/samsung-galaxy-s3-unified-toolkit-v8-0-t1979290

This is what i meant, Its simple and all in 1, just aint sure if its still up to date?

Last edited:

Simone98RC

Jun 21, 2013
Reggio Calabria
simonealecci.it
Via ADT Development Tool, you can do the "adb backup" command, but I think it will include the bootloader, so you'll restore the official and unrooted device state.
But I'm not sure, I never used to backup via PC.

Games are almost innocue, except for notification services who consume a bit of resources.

Can you tell me the heavier apps you're using?

According to your words, having too many apps you're not very satisfied about your performance... or I'm wrong? ;)

Dr.Luigi

Dec 29, 2011
Via ADT Development Tool, you can do the "adb backup" command, but I think it will include the bootloader, so you'll restore the official and unrooted device state.
But I'm not sure, I never used to backup via PC.

Games are almost innocue, except for notification services who consume a bit of resources.

Can you tell me the heavier apps you're using?

According to your words, having too many apps you're not very satisfied about your performance... or I'm wrong? ;)

Ye it used to be quiet a bit faster, Might be Samsung OS i forgot the name of the OS but anyhow, wizard or something,
Oh well, i will just do it i guess and i will see on the road what apps i need, the rest clearly seems that i dont need em if i never use em.

I'm guessing that the best would be Clockwork recovery and the SUroot? together with cyanogen ROM and buffalo.

As apps goes its basicly my home screen wich has quiet some widgets and such, all diffrent apps, in some folders like 100 apps etc.

Last edited:

Simone98RC

Jun 21, 2013
Reggio Calabria
simonealecci.it
Ye it used to be quiet a bit faster, Might be Samsung OS i forgot the name of the OS but anyhow, wizard or something,
Oh well, i will just do it i guess and i will see on the road what apps i need, the rest clearly seems that i dont need em if i never use em.

I'm guessing that the best would be Clockwork recovery and the SUroot? together with cyanogen ROM and buffalo.

As apps goes its basicly my home screen wich has quiet some widgets and such, all diffrent apps, in some folders like 100 apps etc.

SuperSU is included in CF-Root and so is the most known, but Superuser (from Clockworkmod, the other Superuser is obsolete!) is a great open source alternative.

The best recovery is Philz, always based on CWM, but with extra and TWRP functions.

CyanogenMod yes, is the better choicr and also the easiest choice for root newbies.

Ps Buffalo is a kernel? If it's true, try BOEFFLA, is considered absolutely the best.

Dr.Luigi

Dec 29, 2011
SuperSU is included in CF-Root and so is the most known, but Superuser (from Clockworkmod, the other Superuser is obsolete!) is a great open source alternative.

The best recovery is Philz, always based on CWM, but with extra and TWRP functions.

CyanogenMod yes, is the better choicr and also the easiest choice for root newbies.

Ps Buffalo is a kernel? If it's true, try BOEFFLA, is considered absolutely the best.

Well i meant boeffla of course, Well i cant get it to work, What are the keys to get into TWRP recovery?

As in download mode it tells me its custom, but i cant get into it..

tryed quiet a few combis already

Dr.Luigi

Dec 29, 2011
Well i meant boeffla of course, Well i cant get it to work, What are the keys to get into TWRP recovery?

As in download mode it tells me its custom, but i cant get into it..

tryed quiet a few combis already

Edit:

Tryed again, i cant reboot if i did it would get the old recovery back, so in a push method it worked,

Now SuperSU, i might get a ROM but aint sure yet, Do kernels work on the stock rom aswell?

Last edited:

Simone98RC

Jun 21, 2013
Reggio Calabria
simonealecci.it
Edit:

Tryed again, i cant reboot if i did it would get the old recovery back, so in a push method it worked,

Now SuperSU, i might get a ROM but aint sure yet, Do kernels work on the stock rom aswell?

Yes, BOEFFLA works also on stock rom (make sure to flash the correct zip file)... but I haven't understood your problem: can't reboot, old recovery back... what?

Dr.Luigi

Dec 29, 2011
Yes, BOEFFLA works also on stock rom (make sure to flash the correct zip file)... but I haven't understood your problem: can't reboot, old recovery back... what?

Ye nevermind that,

The problem is when i flashed my recovery, that when i reboot it switched automaticly back to the orginal stock recovery,

Only way to repair this was to not reboot, but goto the Philz recovery directly and reinstall the recovery program,

Also rooted it now,

So i can simple install Boefflo on my S3 international, With stock rom and ROOT, philz recovery?

If so that would be sweet ^^
As it should be more sufficient as far as battery goes, and a small overclock to like 1.6Ghz is reasonable ive heard,
1.8 is to high if i can believe those on some forums.

Simone98RC

Jun 21, 2013
Reggio Calabria
simonealecci.it
Since the last stable release you can overclock up to 1704 Mhz... and no more 1.5 Ghz step, I don't know the reason.
As I said, BOEFFLA works almost on every rom, but you habe to flash a different zip file for Samsung and AOSP roms.

Why can't you get a custom recovery? Are you sure to flash them reproducing properly the reported Odin guide (what to check in app, where to write file, etc.)?
It's a strange problem, rom "might" be cause by replacing the new recovery with the stock one, I think, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Last edited:

Dr.Luigi

Dec 29, 2011
Since the last stable release you can overclock up to 1704 Mhz... and no more 1.5 Ghz step, I don't know the reason.
As I said, BOEFFLA works almost on every rom, but you habe to flash a different zip file for Samsung and AOSP roms.

Why can't you get a custom recovery? Are you sure to flash them reproducing properly the reported Odin guide (what to check in app, where to write file, etc.)?
It's a strange problem, rom "might" be cause by replacing the new recovery with the stock one, I think, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Well like i said i've fixed that,

The standard way to flash doesnt work, As once i get booted in Samsung ROM, It fixes it, So you have to goto your Recovery immeaditly when youve flashed it, and flash it again in the custom recovery, and then it does work.

Well i will see, aint sure yet if i will do it the kernel and romming.

Thanks for the help ;)

Tkkg1994

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
Jun 10, 2014
Coding City

The standard way to flash doesnt work, As once i get booted in Samsung ROM, It fixes it, So you have to goto your Recovery immeaditly when youve flashed it, and flash it again in the custom recovery, and then it does work.

Thanks for the help ;)

Here is also a great kernel. Check this out ;) http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/orig-development/28-04-googy-max2-kernel-2-3-1-cm-camera-t2517875

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

You might lose data.

Thanks everybody ;)

Thanks for your help!

Good hacking ;)

Pro:

Con:

Pro:

Con:
    -Some little bug;

Edit:

Thanks for the help ;)

Here is also a great kernel. Check this out ;) http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/orig-development/28-04-googy-max2-kernel-2-3-1-cm-camera-t2517875