Why the 4.4.2 TouchWiz update doesn't have Tap to Pay.

Search This thread

gakio12

Dec 30, 2011
Boise
Actually if you google the changes that came with Kitkat 4.4.2 from Android itself, one of the changes includes a "tap and pay" option in the Settings under NFC. However this option is not available on the T Mobile note 3 after dating to Kitkat 4.4.2. also if you download the app from the Google Play Store called NFC check you will see that after running the check it there goes that is enabled the Android however HCE is not supported on this device, which it should be with Kitkat update.

That is what I am explaining. The HCE framework doesn't yet support the NFC controller in the Note 3. It uses NXP PN547. Google needs to update the framework to include that controller.

Reactions: ElJefe29

0ri0n

Feb 27, 2007
Attleboro, MA

Attachments

• 2014-03-15-13-13-44.jpg
    2014-03-15-13-13-44.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 519
Nov 16, 2010
Updates?

I noticed that 4.4.4 is out (AOSP) and installed PAC, but there is still no NFC available. I wonder if the article about NXP integrating into 4.4 was a bald-faced lie? Link

Febby

May 19, 2010
It does if you use ISIS.. or whatever it's called now... "Softcard" i think.
It's completely different from that of Google wallet. Not that I'm a apple fan boy but some things do upset me when I'm trying to use a native Google feature that seems to be non existent currently on my firmware. I tried when it was isis wallet but it wasn't my type of deal.

It's completely different from that of Google wallet. Not that I'm a apple fan boy but some things do upset me when I'm trying to use a native Google feature that seems to be non existent currently on my firmware. I tried when it was isis wallet but it wasn't my type of deal.

Well, it's still the same thing, just different name... Probably due to ISIS in the middle east... *snicker*

Anyway, works fine for me, using my AMEX and linked other cards to the virtual AMEX they give you.

knarfies

Jul 30, 2012
I doubt it'll work perfectly. Google wallet failed just like all the others. Ios, not sure what was done different to be considered "successful" but there are a few hurdles it'll have to jump in order to be successful.

I was so pleased even with isis but yet to see a way to use my visa. How is it apple is able to allow it's users to so?

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
With ISIS or whatever it's named now, you can use most card types by linking them to the AMEX Serve card. It ends up working like paypal, if you have money in the pre-pay Serve card, it uses that. If not, it will load some in from another source. I used a Visa credit card for that and it worked fine. The auto load is optional and defaults off I believe. So if you would rather have it decline charges when you don't have money there, you can do that.

It's not as nice as connecting to the card directly, but all the players are too busy trying to make their way into the standard to work together. I'm surprised Apple got the card companies on board. It will be interesting to see.

All that said, I'm still not convinced it's a problem that needs solving. It's kinda cool, but since I generally have to carry ID and other payment methods for places that don't support NFC it's more of a curiosity than anything else for me. A local coffee shop had problems with ISIS occasionally and stopped supporting it because people would come in with just their phones. They are using some QR code based setup now that I haven't bothered to set up yet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Doesnt the sprint note 3 have the same nfc chip?

No it does not. The Sprint variant uses a different NFC controller (NXP P65) that has both a built-in secure element and implements the FeliCa card emulation standard.

This is why Google Wallet works on it on Android 4.3 and on Android 4.4 (using the old SE-based method, not HCE) but not on any of the other variants.

I helped discover this difference. More info here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2476093

OP is correct - we need to wait for the T-Mobile variant's NFC controller to be supported by KitKat's HCE framework.
    A lot of people are thinking that T-mobile is blocking Tap to Pay on the Note 3 with KitKat. However, it is reported that Tap to Pay works on the T-mobile S4.

T-mobile isn't blocking Tap to Pay; Google simply hasn't integrated the PN-547 chip into Tap to Pay yet. This is why AOSP builds still don't have Tap to Pay. NXP, within the last week, just integrated the PN-547 chip into 4.4, which means it will probably show up in Android 4.4.3.
    What bugs? Lol I've been on one rom ever since I upgraded and been beast
    I have a question. Will the new S5 have the same NFC chip as the Note 3? This article says it willhttp://nfctimes.com/news/nxp-wins-back-nfc-controller-business-samsung-flagship-misses-embedded-chip. Also the S5 press release said they'd support both Isis and GW here http://www.droid-life.com/2014/02/24/samsung-announces-the-galaxy-s5-coming-this-spring/ I'm just trying to piece this together.

No idea, that's up to Samsung. The US variants have the NXP P544 controller, while the international variants have the Broadcom BCM20793 controller (same as used in all the Nexus devices), which is the only chip that KitKat's HCE framework currently supports - this is why phones with the Broadcom chip have Tap-and-Pay while those with the NXP chips don't yet. We need to wait for an update from Google that enables support for the P544 chip in the HCE framework.

The Sprint variant is using the NXP P65, which is a P544 combined with a secure element, which is why Wallet works on it (using the old method, not HCE).
    Actually if you google the changes that came with Kitkat 4.4.2 from Android itself, one of the changes includes a "tap and pay" option in the Settings under NFC. However this option is not available on the T Mobile note 3 after dating to Kitkat 4.4.2. also if you download the app from the Google Play Store called NFC check you will see that after running the check it there goes that is enabled the Android however HCE is not supported on this device, which it should be with Kitkat update.

That is what I am explaining. The HCE framework doesn't yet support the NFC controller in the Note 3. It uses NXP PN547. Google needs to update the framework to include that controller.