[Q] Some beginners questions.

Search This thread

MpSt

Jun 8, 2014
I'm new to android and the first thing I'd like to do is to completely clone device's memory for later backups. Here is a list of questions I got after some reading:
1. I need to root my moto G to install PhilZ Touch 6 Recovery, right?
2. Do I need to also unlock bootloader to install PhilZ Touch 6 Recovery?
3. PhilZ Touch 6 Recovery is a ROM, right?
4. PhilZ ROM is some kind of a latest android OS, but with additional features like access to all files and some other tweaks?
5. Is the OS used in PhilZ ROM KitKat 4.4.2?
6. Does this ROM implicitly include a total backup to sdcard app and a file manager app?
7. Is nandroid app implicitly in PhilZ ROM, right?
7.1 If not, what backup app can I use to make a clone image of my moto g?
7.2. On the helium app google store webpage I found: "Helium is NOT available to Motorola devices. This is because Motorola phones have a bug that break Android's backup mechanism. Until this is fixed by Motorola, Helium will not work on those Androids."
So, is there any app, that can clone moto g?
7.3. Can, for example, nandroid do the job?
8. If I flash PhilZ ROM to my moto G, is it correct, that it will not update to newer OS versions automatically? How can I keep track of the updates?
9. How do I install apps to my device? I read, that some devices need busybox for that, so is it better to use busybox (or something else) and not just click install on google store?
10. What android apps are most popular/helpful as system utilities? (I know it sounds too broad, but maybe there are some MUST HAVE ones).

KDB223

Aug 15, 2013
1. No, all you need is an unlocked bootloader
2. Yes ofc
3. & 4. NO! Its just a recovery with some nice features
5. LOL

As for your remaining questions, to make a backup, (which you have to do before unlocking bootloader), you can use the "adb backup" command. Google it for details.

8. If you flash any ROM whatsoever, you will certainly not receive OTAs from Motorola, since the ROM you flashed is not their software.
9. Only a few apps need busybox to work properly, and it's not totally necessary to have it.
10. There are no such apps, for me atleast.
But for rooted devices, I can recommend some : Greenify, Titanium Backup, and Xposed Installer.

P.S: before asking such questions, please try to read around, 80% of your answers are there. But since you're new to Android, I forgive you :D

-sent from my little moto beast

Reactions: MpSt

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
In addition to the "adb backup" and nandroid (or TWRP, which is another recovery with its own format) backups, look into backing up the pds partition and NV items off the phone, it may be your only way to recover your IMEI and cellular service in some situations.

MpSt

Jun 8, 2014
In addition to the "adb backup" and nandroid (or TWRP, which is another recovery with its own format) backups, look into backing up the pds partition and NV items off the phone, it may be your only way to recover your IMEI and cellular service in some situations.

Thanks, Darkshado.

I found how to back up pds partition in FAQ (Q19: Lost IMEI ? : How to backup / restore PDS partition and why?), but nothing about NV items backup.
1. So, could you please confirm, that I need to backup both PDS and NV items, or PDS will be enough?

2. In the other tread you say, that "In Windows, make NV items backups with QPST and EFS Professional."
Do I need both "QPST" and "EFS Professional" to backup NV items, or any of them will work?

3. Could you, please, confirm the algorithm I should use to safely backup everything possible on my moto g:
3.1. use adb backup
3.2. root
3.3. backup pds partition
3.4. use QPST to backup NV items

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
You have a sound approach.

AFAIK Titanium Backup (Pro?) should be able to restore your pre-root adb backup.

I've picked up on the habit of backing up all the baseband settings I could, and in Qualcomm modem devices this includes NV (non-volatile) items. EFS Professional now supports both .qcn and CDMA Workshop text format NV backups so it should cover your bases nicely.

QPST and QXDM are leaked software, EFS Professional was made via reverse engineering. For our needs both serve the same purpose. One may work where the other fails. (I posted a list of skip items on the EFS Professional thread which could come in handy.)

If you want to backup *everything* on the phone, that's another process which involves forwarding adb's output to files. Check here and here.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. No, all you need is an unlocked bootloader
    2. Yes ofc
    3. & 4. NO! Its just a recovery with some nice features
    5. LOL

As for your remaining questions, to make a backup, (which you have to do before unlocking bootloader), you can use the "adb backup" command. Google it for details.

8. If you flash any ROM whatsoever, you will certainly not receive OTAs from Motorola, since the ROM you flashed is not their software.
    9. Only a few apps need busybox to work properly, and it's not totally necessary to have it.
    10. There are no such apps, for me atleast.
    But for rooted devices, I can recommend some : Greenify, Titanium Backup, and Xposed Installer.

P.S: before asking such questions, please try to read around, 80% of your answers are there. But since you're new to Android, I forgive you :D

-sent from my little moto beast
    You have a sound approach.

AFAIK Titanium Backup (Pro?) should be able to restore your pre-root adb backup.

I've picked up on the habit of backing up all the baseband settings I could, and in Qualcomm modem devices this includes NV (non-volatile) items. EFS Professional now supports both .qcn and CDMA Workshop text format NV backups so it should cover your bases nicely.

QPST and QXDM are leaked software, EFS Professional was made via reverse engineering. For our needs both serve the same purpose. One may work where the other fails. (I posted a list of skip items on the EFS Professional thread which could come in handy.)

If you want to backup *everything* on the phone, that's another process which involves forwarding adb's output to files. Check here and here.