[ROOT][T769] Rooted kernel for Blaze 4G :: 4/9/12

Search This thread

Somcom3X

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2012
Metro Detroit

shadowbird712

Jun 6, 2014
I'm in an absolute panic. I was wanting root access so I could move programs off of my phone memory, so I searched for it and found this post.

I've downloaded Odin and the TAR, I followed the steps, and my phone is now stuck on the boot screen.

Tried a factory reset from phone recovery; no dice.

Tried reapplying the root; nope.

Tried to download Kies to factory reset. Odin recognizes my phone, but Kies doesn't. Neither does Heimdall, for that matter.

I have a two-part question: how screwed am I, and is there anyway I can salvage this? I've barely had this phone for a month. I'd have to have bricked it now.

Last edited:

njstein

Jan 25, 2013
Boise
I'm in an absolute panic. I was wanting root access so I could move programs off of my phone memory, so I searched for it and found this post.

I have a two-part question: how screwed am I, and is there anyway I can salvage this? I've barely had this for a month. I'd have to have bricked it now.

Alright, bro, you're good. If Odin recognizes your phone and you can get into download mode, you can fix this.
First, uninstall Kies, immediately. Kies and rooting don't work together.
Second, go to this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1591601

And read post 155. It'll fix your issue. Make sure and thank @jserrano.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: shadowbird712

shadowbird712

Jun 6, 2014
Alright, bro, you're good. If Odin recognizes your phone and you can get into download mode, you can fix this.
First, uninstall Kies, immediately. Kies and rooting don't work together.
Second, go to this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1591601

And read post 155. It'll fix your issue. Make sure and thank @jserrano.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Allow me to offer my gratitude to both of you by paraphrasing Black Sabbath:

:cool: Flashed it back to stock
Now it's no longer a useless block
I am a very happy man
Iron Phone lives agaaaaaaaaaain!

Reactions: njstein

njstein

Jan 25, 2013
Boise
Allow me to offer my gratitude to both of you by paraphrasing Black Sabbath:

:cool: Flashed it back to stock
Now it's no longer a useless block
I am a very happy man
Iron Phone lives agaaaaaaaaaain!

Glad I could help and that your mighty Blaze is up and running again! Just keep that link handy and pass it along in case someone else needs it.

kanjigirl

Jan 25, 2015
ICS reverted to Gingerbread after rooting - how to upgrade back to ICS?

I am really, really lost here. I rooted my phone for the first time today and do not really know what I'm doing.

This morning I followed this thread's guide for rooting my Blaze. It said 'successful' in Odin but stuck on the loading screen on my phone after repeated reboots.

I followed a guide to revert back to non-rooted using Odin, and this worked, was able to boot again.

Then I tried the method in this thread using Odin, and it worked fine on the first try. Rooted successfully.

I was working on getting my apps set up again and found that Nova Launcher no longer works because I've been set back to Gingerbread, and can't update OTA on the phone. I tried going back to the unrooted version again, that worked fine. Then I opened KIES and see that no, I cannot upgrade from Gingerbread there either, says I'm on the latest firmware.

So I have no idea what I should do now. Do I need to flash a custom ROM? If so which one? I see a few for ICS - I actually tried this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1918608

Two of the download links there didn't work and the third put malware on my computer, and then didn't work.

What should I do? Can I replace the Gingerbread ROM with a Jellybean one, or do I have to upgrade in steps? Suggestions for a good ROM to install? With really simple instructions?

PLEASE help. I am stuck, I don't know what to do next.

kanjigirl

Jan 25, 2015
What should I do? Can I replace the Gingerbread ROM with a Jellybean one, or do I have to upgrade in steps? Suggestions for a good ROM to install? With really simple instructions?

PLEASE help. I am stuck, I don't know what to do next.

I figured it out, after a few more hours of research. I flashed the latest nightly Kitkat from Cyanogen Mod after updating CWM to handle it (after resetting to stock a few times in between). Very much trial and error, there are no simple guides for beginners on how to do this.

xWolf13

Jul 6, 2012
Does anyone know why the thread got closed or if it can be re-opened? I have new info for latest roms!

Sadly, InkSlinger has been banned from XDA due to some arguments with some Moderators. He is on Google+ if you need anything from him. What is the latest info you have for us :D?

PowSniffer0110

Apr 26, 2010
Ogden
Sadly, InkSlinger has been banned from XDA due to some arguments with some Moderators. He is on Google+ if you need anything from him. What is the latest info you have for us :D?
Does anyone have the PIT file referenced? its the only one with a dead link. Have the tar and all but dont have the PIT and wondering if its needed for 100% sure and if anyone had it handy?! as this is my only way to root since im not on ICS and dont wanna go KIES route
Thanks

Indole

Jan 15, 2016
Does anyone have the PIT file referenced? its the only one with a dead link. Have the tar and all but dont have the PIT and wondering if its needed for 100% sure and if anyone had it handy?! as this is my only way to root since im not on ICS and dont wanna go KIES route
Thanks

PIT file is not required, but be careful. Odin stalled for no reason during my install and I got a soft brick. By some miracle I ended up fixing it, but be careful if you go that route.

You might be better off downloading the latest T769 firmware directly from Samsung's mobile support site sammobile. Search for "T769", create an account and follow the instructions on the download page.

That will upgrade you out of Gingerbread and give you more rooting options.

Good Luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    k0nane presents...
    Rooted Kernel for Blaze 4G
    Sponsored by k0nane.info. Have you tipped your devs today?

DO NOT CHECK REPARTITION! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Why the big red warning? Far too many people have broken their devices by not following these instructions! Search the forums, or drop by IRC - you'll see plenty of examples.

So, you wanted root? You got root! Samsung devices come with an unlocked bootloader. Thanks to pointers from other members that the T-Mo SGS2 CWM boots (badly), we were able to get some dumps, and prep this easily little package for you. This kernel includes a fully-linked copy of BusyBox 1.19.3, init.d (busybox run-parts) support, and various other niceties. Devs, see here for what the script essentially looks like.

Instructions

1. Download Odin 1.85 - see section below.
    2. Download the rooted kernel TAR - see section below.
    3. Extract the contents of odin-185.zip.
    4. Run Odin 1.85.exe, and prepare Odin:
      • Check "auto-reboot", and uncheck all other options.
      • Click PDA and select the TAR you downloaded. Click PIT and select the PIT your downloaded.
    5. Put your device into Download Mode:
      • Connect the USB cable to your PC, but NOT your device.
      • Remove the battery.
      • Reinsert the battery.
      • Hold down Volume Up + Volume Down + Power.
    6. You should now be at Download Mode.
    7. Click Start in Odin.

That's it! Your device will autoreboot, and your phone should be working properly again.

shabbypenguin said:

Having trouble entering Download Mode? Watch this YouTube video by DrTaru (doktortaru on XDA)!

Downloads​

Credits:

• DrTaru: stock device, remote access, lots of testing, screenshots, patience
    • Shabbypenguin: Shabbypenguin (do I need to say more?)
    • JFigure/Watcher64: initial testing and pointers/proof of concept
    • UberPinguin: notes on building kernels for celox, which also apply to this device
    P-O-S-T :: R-E-S-E-R-V-E-D

AAvvp.png

Original artwork by Pendulum via Gasolin3.

...for future use.

Follow me on Twitter @k0nane and @publik0!
    Ok, the text in the original post specifically says to not have the usb cable connected to your phone. I watched the video and while it's not mentioned in the video, the cable is connected to the guys phone the entire time.

So I started over with the cable plugged in, and now it's "downloading" on the phone.

If it confused me (I'm just a guy who reads instructions) it will likely confuse someone else!

Don't forget to uncheck re-partition after you load the PIT, it will toggle it back on and it's easy to not notice it!

When your phone says "downloading" and you hit start, Odin will do it's magic, it pauses for a few seconds, and then it will reboot your phone, and you'll be back in and everything will be there waiting for you.

BTW, thanks a bunch. After loading this, I was able to use the sixaxis app in the marketplace to use my old PS3 controller to play SNES and other roms without any problem at all. Works like a charm, and it's a lot better than the old Datel wiipad style one I had before!
    I have everything setup in Odin but I only get a msg saying:

"<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)"
    Make sure you have the drivers for your device installed.

I have a feeling that XDA will make a section for us and ROM dev will be around the corner!
    We'll see - one can hope. I don't own the device, I'm just here to get you guys off the ground.

Just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. The process described above will give root access while keeping the stock ROM that came with the phone, right?
    Correct. This is just a rooted stock kernel with some other goodies in it.

Just FYI, when you click to upload the PIT, "Re-Partition" will auto select itself again. scared the crap out of me.
    That it will.

thanks im going to try this for my bro. I have been waiting for some time to root it and remove the bloatware thank you
    Thanks for your support!
    keep it tight guys ;)