Galaxy S4 Straight Talk Thread

Search This thread

qbanlinxx

Mar 30, 2011
Orlando
Google Pixel 6a
Google Pixel 7
I had Att Straight Talk for a month and definitely no 4g. On a lucky day I would get 5-6megs, decent, but lots of times It wouldn't work for Web surfing. Switched to Tmobile monthly 4g now I'm getting 10-20megs, definitely worth the extra few dollars

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium

sholsten

Jun 30, 2012
Kennett, MO.
I had Att Straight Talk for a month and definitely no 4g. On a lucky day I would get 5-6megs, decent, but lots of times It wouldn't work for Web surfing. Switched to Tmobile monthly 4g now I'm getting 10-20megs, definitely worth the extra few dollars

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium
Did you setup a Straight Talk APN setting?

galaxyjeff

Aug 31, 2010
Akron
Make sure when you input your apn settings that you push save at the top of the screen to save them. I have mine on straight talk and everything is working.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

MortTheBeast

Jul 9, 2012
When I move out to Ohio I wanted to get a S4 and wondered where to get one that will work properly with Straight Talk? From what I understand only certain versions will work with Straight Talk? Just want to be sure and get the right one and not end up with a $800 brick. Could someone explain what version is needed and what exactly I need to do to get it working with Straight Talk? Thanks...

OnSugarHill

Apr 25, 2013
When I move out to Ohio I wanted to get a S4 and wondered where to get one that will work properly with Straight Talk? From what I understand only certain versions will work with Straight Talk? Just want to be sure and get the right one and not end up with a $800 brick. Could someone explain what version is needed and what exactly I need to do to get it working with Straight Talk? Thanks...

If you go with straight talk, you will need a gsm phone. Either an ATT or Tmobile unlocked S4 or the international version should work with your straight talk sim

Did you setup a Straight Talk APN setting?
6 or 7 megs is about the best you can get on ST with the ATT sim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:
Reactions: MortTheBeast

MortTheBeast

Jul 9, 2012
If you go with straight talk, you will need a gsm phone. Either an ATT or Tmobile unlocked S4 or the international version should work with your straight talk sim

Appreciate the response, could you elaborate on any advantages or disadvantages to purchasing one or the other? (ATT or Tmobile vs International)
I know the International is an 8 core, though I think I read there really isn't much difference in speed.... price difference?

Last edited:

OnSugarHill

Apr 25, 2013
Appreciate the response, could you elaborate on any advantages or disadvantages to purchasing one or the other? (ATT or Tmobile vs International)
I know the International is an 8 core, though I think I read there really isn't much difference in speed.... price difference?

Hmm well the international is the most expensive. It's straight from the factory of Samsung so you get no extra bloatware like you do on the ATT/TMobile/Sprint/Verizon versions. It is an 8 core, but there's also no LTE on it in the US. If you plan on using Straight Talk, the international is the best way to go even though it's expensive. Probably like $650-$750 for a brand new one.

If you want to use LTE on it, definitely get a T-Mobile or AT&T Model, or Verizon if it's out. They are the same phone but with different bloatware added by the carrier. I'm using an ATT phone on ATT Pre-paid and it's a great phone.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Another LTE Speed Test

vgVIgg4.png

Reactions: MortTheBeast

MortTheBeast

Jul 9, 2012
Thanks again for the response and insight. For sure want LTE so will have to do some shopping around. Now what's the deal with getting a phone unlocked? I see listings on ebay but to be honest I'm not much of a fan of that site. Much prefer to just walk into an ATT store and buy the S4 outright and then unlock it myself if its not too difficult or send it somewhere to be done. Unless you have any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: royfas

OnSugarHill

Apr 25, 2013
Thanks again for the response and insight. For sure want LTE so will have to do some shopping around. Now what's the deal with getting a phone unlocked? I see listings on ebay but to be honest I'm not much of a fan of that site. Much prefer to just walk into an ATT store and buy the S4 outright and then unlock it myself if its not too difficult or send it somewhere to be done. Unless you have any other suggestions?

Amazon, Newegg, and other sites like those should have unlocked phones along with the major carriers. Also, be on the lookout for the Google edition S4 coming out. Should be GSM unlocked

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
I switched from straight talk to Go Phone LTE today, best decision I have made this year. It's like I'm on super WiFi speeds everywhere now!

Sent from my Stealth Black HTC One using Tapatalk 2

KStyles69

Apr 11, 2013
South Haven
YES

I'm wondering if we can flash.I9505 Roms on either the AT&T or T-Mobile s4?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I've been flashing/upgraded firmware/root/roms/...even odin back to factory to reapply updates/flash again.:laugh: Came to this thread to find a mms fix. I'm a Sprint S4 on verizon towers through straight talk.

---------- Post added at 03:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 AM ----------

Go to ebay and find a bad esn sprint/verizon I9505 Galaxy s4 $400 MINT...ebay keyword: galaxy s4 verizon straight talk...to have a person flash the to the best available 3g network with $45 a month....$70....total phone cost with a rugged case is under $500.:cool:

TolaSkamp

Jun 5, 2007
Hmm well the international is the most expensive. It's straight from the factory of Samsung so you get no extra bloatware like you do on the ATT/TMobile/Sprint/Verizon versions. It is an 8 core, but there's also no LTE on it in the US. If you plan on using Straight Talk, the international is the best way to go even though it's expensive. Probably like $650-$750 for a brand new one.

If you want to use LTE on it, definitely get a T-Mobile or AT&T Model, or Verizon if it's out. They are the same phone but with different bloatware added by the carrier. I'm using an ATT phone on ATT Pre-paid and it's a great phone.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Another LTE Speed Test

vgVIgg4.png

The international version is the i-9505?

OnSugarHill

Apr 25, 2013
Is the GoPhone LTE still working out well for you?

Absolutely. Everything loads instantaneously. I have absolutely no regrets. It's basically straight talk with lte for 13 bucks more. Phone service is great and ATT is very quick with good reception here in Socal

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Honestly guys I just feel like if we're using an S4, might as well get LTE. It's one of the best features our phone has

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Absolutely. Everything loads instantaneously. I have absolutely no regrets. It's basically straight talk with lte for 13 bucks more. Phone service is great and ATT is very quick with good reception here in Socal

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Honestly guys I just feel like if we're using an S4, might as well get LTE. It's one of the best features our phone has

Totally agree. LTE is insane, noticeably faster than my home wifi.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TheTominator

Jul 22, 2013
I need some help please!

Using my SGS4 on Straight Talk as well. No issues on "4G"
I dont really care about LTE. Im always near wifi so its not a big deal. $45 A Month. Cant beat that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Z!

I hope you can help me. I just bought a Verizon Galaxy S4 from someone (locked I assume) and called straight talk to start the process. They asked for the serial/IMEI number of the phone and I gave it to them. They said it was ineligible. I really need to know how to go about getting the process going so I can keep this phone. I see you and a couple of others are using the S4 with Straight Talk and I really want to keep the S4 rather than trade for something less. Please help me with the steps I need to take and things to say to get this started if it's really possible.

Thank you in advance,

TheTominator

sholsten

Jun 30, 2012
Kennett, MO.
Hi Z!

I hope you can help me. I just bought a Verizon Galaxy S4 from someone (locked I assume) and called straight talk to start the process. They asked for the serial/IMEI number of the phone and I gave it to them. They said it was ineligible. I really need to know how to go about getting the process going so I can keep this phone. I see you and a couple of others are using the S4 with Straight Talk and I really want to keep the S4 rather than trade for something less. Please help me with the steps I need to take and things to say to get this started if it's really possible.

Thank you in advance,

TheTominator
I believe Verizon is a CDMA phone. Straight Talk only uses GSM service. You'll need a GSM phone to use ST.

KeeperOfThePizza

Sep 16, 2010
Hi Z!

Thank you in advance,

TheTominator

You have a CDMA version of the device(it does not have a sim card slot ). It wouldnt work with AT&T, Straight Talk, Tmobile or any other GSM (sim card required) device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What APN are you guys using? 4G+MMS? Please post it here.

name: straight talk
    apn: att.mvno
    proxy:
    port:
    username:
    password:
    server:
    mmsc: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    mms proxy: 66.209.11.33
    mms port: 80
    mcc:310
    mnc:410
    authentication type:
    apn type:

100% mms and 4g (3-7 MBPS)
    proxy:
    port:
    username:
    password:
    server:
    authentication type:
    apn type:

I can confirm that this APN is the best one I have tried on my new 32gig S4. Sent the 16 gig back to ATT.
    proxy:
    port:
    username:
    password:
    server:
    authentication type:
    apn type:

100% mms and 4g (3-7 MBPS)

Ah man THANK YOU! My girlfriend has an S3 and has been having a crazy hard time finding a proper APN that worked well for data + mms.

This works 100%
    Oh yeah lol, I thought I read a Verizon S4. You did set up your friend's Verizon S4 to work on att. So basically every new Verizon phones work on any gsm carrier?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Most do I would believe as long as they are world unlocked. I set up the s4 for her :) I haven't tried others apart from note 2 and s4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Thank you for the quick and detailed response.

But doesn't Verizon have a better coverage?

Six of one, half a dozen of the other... Depends on your region. I'm in central Pennsylvania, all the major carriers are present, and coverage is mainly even. Both have dead spots, though. Usually where one has a dead spot, the other gets coverage.

Honestly, you'd be better off asking people you knew around your neck of the woods. You'd get a better idea of which to choose.

Sent from my TARDIS