Google Android and Linux for KAISER!!

Search This thread

Shub-Niggurath

Oct 8, 2007
Kent
www.myspace.com
Compiling the kernel in gentoo

For anyone who uses gentoo linux and is interested in compiling the kernel, all of the required packages are in portage. After the initial pain of setting up gentoo, it is surprisingly easy to get cross-compile working.

You need the sys-devel/crossdev and app-portage/portage-utils packages.

Once installed, you need to run the crossdev script with the appropriate target architecture to compile the toolchain. I used arm-none-linux-gnueabi-4.2.3 as the target machine (i think dzo or dcordes suggested it).

After much text has scrolled by, cd to the appropriate kernel directory

Apply the kernel patch provided in the other thread (if not already done), this also patches the Makefile to use the new toolchain.

type make, press enter and that should be it.

I've found gentoo to be much more development orientated than other linux distros, especially ones like ubuntu which are more geared for users, as it provides compilers and toolchains out of the box and it is not really anymore difficult to set up these days. There is a live cd with a GUI installer or you can go hardcore and install it manually (mission, believe me, but worth it in the end).

more information can be found in the gentoo documentation

http://www.gentoo.org
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Cross_Compile

xmoo

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2006
Eindhoven
www.Mohammad.Moghtader.net
here is a flame question

how do i view the files and pictures android uses?

ok i have my flame threads on.

can someone help

There still is no file browser. The thing is, this is a public initrd. If some company's would share there initrd. We could test it. Everything has to be build in the initrd. zImage is just for cumminicating hardware with the software.

Correct me if I ain't correct ....

riano

Jun 3, 2008
Correct me if I ain't correct ....

You are correct.

To elaborate:
system-architecture.jpg

which comes from: http://code.google.com/android/what-is-android.html

beausejour

Mar 5, 2007
Montpellier
I'm currently doing Android's development, i checked android's emulator file system throw adb shell, all the applications were stored in /data/app directory. The initrd we are testing has incluted Api Demos which means it contains google's application ApiDemos.apk. Anyone has a tutorial about how to build initrd? i'm really interested in this stuff.

slovoflud

Mar 3, 2008
Oh man, so many people are jumping onboard! so exiting! :)

feels great to be a part of it! :rolleyes:

corpus

Apr 4, 2008
I'm currently doing Android's development, i checked android's emulator file system throw adb shell, all the applications were stored in /data/app directory. The initrd we are testing has incluted Api Demos which means it contains google's application ApiDemos.apk. Anyone has a tutorial about how to build initrd? i'm really interested in this stuff.
you can find info in the linux kernel documentation: see Documentation/initrd.txt file

dcordes

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2007
There are plenty of browsers for X11 (the graphical thing e.g. openmoko and many other linux distros use) It's just that unfortunately I haven't got an X11 image running yet.

dcordes

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2007
Did somebody already do a fresh build from the latest git head and the defconfig in the tree? I received a report from somebody who did and he said it would build but the image would be > 1M and wouldn't boot.

Would be nice if somebody could try and report back. Thanks in advance

Praygo

Jan 10, 2008
Omaha
A couple of questions.

Will android ever work 100% (the features) on the kaiser?

Is it always going to have to run through windows?

AstainHellbring

Jan 22, 2007
SLC
Yes almost garenteed all of the kaiser hardware will be working eventually in android. When will we be natively running it, ie not through haret is unknown. Most likely will be after real android phones are out in the public views

Praygo

Jan 10, 2008
Omaha
sweet

This is badass, Google is taking over the world!!! Wondering when google will be running on desktops. :p

gandotratushar

Dec 12, 2007
is there a solution to the display driver problem in android??? (sorry if i am repeating a question...but i didnt find the answer)

AstainHellbring

Jan 22, 2007
SLC
If I understand you right you are asking if there is drivers for the display in android? The answer is looks like yes. There is a good amount of stuff in the kernel sources about the display driver for msm chipset

xmoo

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2006
Eindhoven
www.Mohammad.Moghtader.net
If I understand you right you are asking if there is drivers for the display in android? The answer is looks like yes. There is a good amount of stuff in the kernel sources about the display driver for msm chipset

You can run the GL test with the Kubus. The Kubus spins around without NO LAG!!. The quality is even better than TyTN II with video drivers!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is anyone having problems charging on Kaiser? I'm was using the latest basefiles and system-xrom1.4r3.sqsh so I switched to the Google-Ion-2009-09-12 bundle both from vogue-android on google code with fresh data.img, same problem. Charging will work for the first few hours and then without any changes, it will stop. It will charge for like 30 seconds and stop charging and the battery icon will go back to normal and in "battery status" it shows "not charging". A regular soft reboot will not fix this for some reason. Charges just fine in windows mobile, but to use android I have to reboot and charge in wm6 and when fully charged switch back to android. Anyone experienced this?
    Nice, I got it working on L26 V4 worked 1st time :)

Still a bit buggy of course but getting there

is l26 an lg device?

I will provide a zImage with our latest changes from the linuxtogo git later this day.

I will also upload a console image for testing purpose later (you can read the AT data from the arm9 in it. Just create a device node using mknod dev/smd0 254 2 and use cat /dev/smd0 to read from it. you will see incoming calls, sms etc.)
    This is one of the current mayor problems: We can read from the AT buffer but not write to it which is essential for any phone operations i.e. writing sms, making phone calls but also for using the gps. The gps deveice in kaiser is controlled also with AT send buffer. So once we hve it working we only need the msm_proc_comm work to make calls on the kaiser! If somebody knows what I'm talking about please have a look in arch/arm/mach-msm/smd-kaiser.c

Any hints/improvements appreaciated
    Can't make phone call

Hi every ones!!! :)

Android boot excellent, have internet connection but I can't make calls.

Someone can help me.

Thank you!!!
    I have a question: can I access my phone via USB when my phone is booted into Android and my computer is running Linux? It would makes sense to me, but it doesn't seem to be working.