[Q] Non-US Region M7_U (801e) advice.

Search This thread
To make a long story short, I've destroyed my HTC One XL that I bought for AT&T and I still have 5 months until I am eligible for upgrade. Out of desperation I purchased a factory unlocked HTC One (M7) via Amazon and it was apparently through a third party market place seller.

The phone's packaging, images etc., is completely in Spanish, listed as made in China, running the IMEI(on the box) through an info database it lists the model as the 801e, primary reporting body is BABT and it appears to be valid.

My questions are as follows:

1.) Assuming this is the 801e and M7_U model and not a US/English region phone based on the language clues, what problems will I have running this thing in the US on the AT&T and/or other carrier networks? Obviously there will be no LTE, but will it even work/activate at all once I put my AT&T Sim in? I'm assuming I can change the language. I am in the US in case that wasn't obvious already.

2.) What issues may I have further down the line regarding software/firmware updates etc.

Basically, I have a short time window to return this thing. Since I am in dire need of a phone and am already out a ton of cash trying to fix the one I have so I can't really afford to keep playing around with things. More than likely I'll have to pay a restocking fee for it even though it wasn't opened and who knows how long for the refund to go through.

So any advice? I guess I'm a bit of a rookie...

Last edited:

n1234d

Aug 18, 2013
Mumbai
Google Pixel 6a
To make a long story short, I've destroyed my HTC One XL that I bought for AT&T and I still have 5 months until I am eligible for upgrade. Out of desperation I purchased a factory unlocked HTC One (M7) via Amazon and it was apparently through a third party market place seller.

The phone's packaging, images etc., is completely in Spanish, listed as made in China, running the IMEI(on the box) through an info database it lists the model as the 801e, primary reporting body is BABT and it appears to be valid.

1.) Assuming this is the 801e and M7_U model and not a US/English region phone based on the language clues, what problems will I have running this thing in the US on the AT&T and/or other carrier networks? Obviously there will be no LTE, but will it even work/activate at all once I put my AT&T Sim in?

2.) What issues may I have further down the line regarding software/firmware updates etc.

Basically, I have a short time window to return this thing. Since I am in dire need of a phone and am already out a ton of cash trying to fix the one I have so I can't really afford to keep playing around with things. More than likely I'll have to pay a restocking fee for it even though it wasn't opened and who knows how long for the refund to go through.

Your sim will work, all roms will work, just no LTE

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Reactions: Loki_Agent_of_Chaos

n1234d

Aug 18, 2013
Mumbai
Google Pixel 6a
I appreciate the quick reply. Will the language/region of the phone cause me to run in to any barriers? I'm assuming I can change the language under the preferences.

I don't think so, because English should be offered with all CIDs, and anyways, you can just convert your phone to the European edition or developer edition with s-off

I don't think so, because English should be offered with all CIDs, and anyways, you can just convert your phone to the European edition or developer edition with s-off

Fair enough. Thanks again. I guess my real concern was whether or not the IMEI would register/work with my carrier here in the US. I've owned several unlocked phones over the years, but this is the first time I ever received one where it was in a completely different language/region thus the cause for my concern.

Well I bit the bullet and opened it and am currently using it. So far so good, well despite that it's only 3G. To further feed my morbid curiousity regarding my rampant paranoia, any surefire ways to determine if it is a fake? So far screenshot images are 1080x1920, camera is fluuid and image sizes are 2688x1520, both work and are quite loud, phone feels heavy but I have nothing to compare it to. Can't really tell if case is plastic or aluminum I guess I'll go have to check one in a store for that. Am I missing anything?

n1234d

Aug 18, 2013
Mumbai
Google Pixel 6a
Well I bit the bullet and opened it and am currently using it. So far so good, well despite that it's only 3G. To further feed my morbid curiousity regarding my rampant paranoia, any surefire ways to determine if it is a fake? So far screenshot images are 1080x1920, camera is fluuid and image sizes are 2688x1520, both work and are quite loud, phone feels heavy but I have nothing to compare it to. Can't really tell if case is plastic or aluminum I guess I'll go have to check one in a store for that. Am I missing anything?

Nope, everything's good. You did check it through the database, and 801e is the right model no, and just for the heck of it, check your camera, at least you'll know if you're gonna get the pink tint or no. Go to /sys/android_camera and open the sensor file as text. Show me what you get

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

2002?? WTH? Phone is legit though..
Cover the phone lens with your hand completely and see if the camera gives you the pink tint problem..

Yeah I was a little put off by that as well. Not sure exactly what I'm looking for but if I cover the lens with my hand it's just a black screen. So I suppose it doesn't suffer from that affliction. I haven't snapped many photos yet though but all in due time I suppose.

Thanks for all the info!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1.) Assuming this is the 801e and M7_U model and not a US/English region phone based on the language clues, what problems will I have running this thing in the US on the AT&T and/or other carrier networks? Obviously there will be no LTE, but will it even work/activate at all once I put my AT&T Sim in?

Your sim will work, all roms will work, just no LTE

I appreciate the quick reply. Will the language/region of the phone cause me to run in to any barriers? I'm assuming I can change the language under the preferences.

Nope, everything's good. You did check it through the database, and 801e is the right model no, and just for the heck of it, check your camera, at least you'll know if you're gonna get the pink tint or no. Go to /sys/android_camera and open the sensor file as text. Show me what you get

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk