New phone battery life

Search This thread

Kshitij Agrawal

Mar 9, 2012
Pune
Hi!
I am new to the nexus 5 community and I just got my nexus 5 about 2 days ago :D
After fully charging it I started using it , I have heard that nexus 5 has battery issues and that's why I only want you people to help me tell how the battery life of my phone is for a brand new device by seeing the screenshots of my usage.
Here are the screenshots:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-09-23-50-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-09-23-50-28.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 364
  • Screenshot_2014-07-09-23-50-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-09-23-50-33.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 299
  • Screenshot_2014-07-09-23-55-51.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-09-23-55-51.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 310

MrObvious

Mar 1, 2008
Wichita KS
Hi!
I am new to the nexus 5 community and I just got my nexus 5 about 2 days ago :D
After fully charging it I started using it , I have heard that nexus 5 has battery issues and that's why I only want you people to help me tell how the battery life of my phone is for a brand new device by seeing the screenshots of my usage.
Here are the screenshots:

Not bad. I would disable Wi-Fi always scanning available (even if Wi-Fi is off), location to start. That's not bad though and is about what I get, but you might be able to get better SOT.

Ck-NoSFeRaTU

Jul 9, 2014
There are no issues with battery on nexus 5. I charge mine usually once in 3 days, my record without charge is about a week. ;)
It really depends on how you use it. Under constant 100% load I think battery can be depleted under 5 hours, as in every other device.

surrealjam

Apr 30, 2010
Birmingham
Have you tried running the phone down till it switches off? I know it's not good practice to do that often but I like to do it with a new phone relatively early as it makes sure it's calibrated - sometimes phones can either switch off at 5% or, conversely, run on 1% for hours...

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Have you tried running the phone down till it switches off? I know it's not good practice to do that often but I like to do it with a new phone relatively early as it makes sure it's calibrated - sometimes phones can either switch off at 5% or, conversely, run on 1% for hours...

You don't ever need to do that as it calibrates every time you charge the phone. Also he just got the phone and isn't having any battery issues.

MrObvious

Mar 1, 2008
Wichita KS
You don't ever need to do that as it calibrates every time you charge the phone. Also he just got the phone and isn't having any battery issues.

He means to break in a LIon battery the first three times you kill the battery and then don't take it below 20% after that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Kshitij Agrawal

Mar 9, 2012
Pune
Thanks!

Thanks a lot guys for taking your time and helping me , nexus 5 is truly an amazing phone.
@Ben36 yes , ingress is a game and its a location based so it keeps running in the background and uses location services.

Guys , I have some questions relating to the vibration motor , is it fine if I ask here or am I supposed to make a new thread?

Thaks a lot once again

theesotericone

Sep 22, 2013
the nexus 5 does not have battery issues, at all. it stupid people that themselves have issues, not the phone.

I was just about to start a thread about something then I read this. So here's the deal. I agree that it's almost always user error and/or over expectation when it comes to battery. Stupid people are here to stay. I'm neither stupid nor expecting too much from my battery.

I've always been intrigued by how some experienced users get great battery and some get not so great. Has to be user error I always thought. I thought this because I was one of the experienced users getting great battery life. I mean GREAT. Way over 7 SOT all the time.

So a few weeks ago my first phone had an audio port issue that I had RMA'd. I received the new phone and set it up. It had crap battery. I'm talking less then 2 hours SOT. Same ROM, same kernel, same apps, same coverage for mobile and data, same usage. I set about looking for wakelocks and they all where the same as the first phone. Nothing was wrong on my end. I spent over a week troubleshooting. CPU frequencies and time in state where normal. Temps where normal. CPU benching was the same. Awake vs screen on was almost identical. The phone is sleeping like a baby when not in use.

So, using Occam"s razor, it would lead me to believe that not all batteries in the N5 are created equal. After getting off the phone with a google support supervisor a few hours ago he agreed. Another RMA process has been set up and I was promised this phone would make it's way back to LG so they can actually analyze the battery.

Like I said, I used to think the same way you do. Now I'm not so sure.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
I was just about to start a thread about something then I read this. So here's the deal. I agree that it's almost always user error and/or over expectation when it comes to battery. Stupid people are here to stay. I'm neither stupid nor expecting too much from my battery.

I've always been intrigued by how some experienced users get great battery and some get not so great. Has to be user error I always thought. I thought this because I was one of the experienced users getting great battery life. I mean GREAT. Way over 7 SOT all the time.

So a few weeks ago my first phone had an audio port issue that I had RMA'd. I received the new phone and set it up. It had crap battery. I'm talking less then 2 hours SOT. Same ROM, same kernel, same apps, same coverage for mobile and data, same usage. I set about looking for wakelocks and they all where the same as the first phone. Nothing was wrong on my end. I spent over a week troubleshooting. CPU frequencies and time in state where normal. Temps where normal. CPU benching was the same. Awake vs screen on was almost identical. The phone is sleeping like a baby when not in use.

So, using Occam"s razor, it would lead me to believe that not all batteries in the N5 are created equal. After getting off the phone with a google support supervisor a few hours ago he agreed. Another RMA process has been set up and I was promised this phone would make it's way back to LG so they can actually analyze the battery.

oh, no, I 100% agree with you. just like our devices, that all aren't equal, that are all assembled in differing places, that all have smaller parts that are made in more different factories.. the batteries themselves will differ as well. it'll even probably fall onto a bell curve, where most are near the center, and less with better or worse. but 100% they vary.

Reactions: theesotericone

Kshitij Agrawal

Mar 9, 2012
Pune

Well I feel that there are always some exceptions , some phones may have a manufacturing defect and maybe the phone you are talking about did have one , but these manufacturing defects are mostly really rare.

Reactions: bblzd

MrObvious

Mar 1, 2008
Wichita KS
That's not helpful and does more harm than good. Li-Po never needs to be user calibrated in any way.

I was just explaining what he said. The rumor is (supposedly backed up) that you kill the battery 3 times in a row but never take it close to dying after that and you get the best battery life possible because the battery works best if you only charge it between 20 and 80%. I think there may be something to it because new phones only last like half a day on the first charge but after a week last a day or longer for me. I won't derail this thread though as that's a debate that always loves to go on and I've never found hard proof either way but people who just write websites who supposedly sound smart and can word it quite eloquently.

That being said, I didn't necessarily agree with it, but I was clarifying what was said.

Reactions: bblzd

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
I was just explaining what he said. The rumor is (supposedly backed up) that you kill the battery 3 times in a row but never take it close to dying after that and you get the best battery life possible because the battery works best if you only charge it between 20 and 80%. I think there may be something to it because new phones only last like half a day on the first charge but after a week last a day or longer for me. I won't derail this thread though as that's a debate that always loves to go on and I've never found hard proof either way but people who just write websites who supposedly sound smart and can word it quite eloquently.

That being said, I didn't necessarily agree with it, but I was clarifying what was said.

Thanks for clarifying. Keeping the battery between 20% and 80% is said to help with battery degradation, which after a year or two might affect how much one could get out of a full charge. Most won't find it practical to limit them self to only 60% of their total available battery pool though.

Even hitting 0% isn't as big of a problem as some may think as there is a reserve charge for protection. For instance, mine has full died on me twice due to a power outage (I even attempted a boot up) and I always full charge with no noticeable degradation after 8 months.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the nexus 5 does not have battery issues, at all. it stupid people that themselves have issues, not the phone.
    wow Simms, you're everywhere lol

not quite, but in the n5 and n4 forums I am :angel:
    i can use my phone very heavily, and deplete my battery in 6-8 hours. but ill still get 5+ hours screen on time.

wow Simms, you're everywhere lol

oh, no, I 100% agree with you. just like our devices, that all aren't equal, that are all assembled in differing places, that all have smaller parts that are made in more different factories.. the batteries themselves will differ as well. it'll even probably fall onto a bell curve, where most are near the center, and less with better or worse. but 100% they vary.