Bricked? APX mode?

Search This thread

youvandal

Jun 27, 2012
I was given a HOX international tegra 3 by a friend to fix but i am afraid i am hitting a wall. He upgraded to the galaxy s3 and is trying to sell this off. I don't think he tried rooting, unlocking the bootloader, flashing anything. He stated that it would force close while trying to open Settings.app and everything started force closing when he inserted his SIM. He gave it to me because i was into flashing nexus one roms and kernels when i had a nexus one.

The phone doesn't seem to power on or show any signs of life on the phone itself. If i plug it into a windows machine, it recognizes it as "APX" but no driver is found or installed. I have searched around and neither ADB, Fastboot or nvflash recognize the device. I tried installing various drivers to no avail. I have pointed it to "android debugging bridge" and "NVidia USB Bootrecovery driver for mobile devices". ADB, fastboot and nvflash still do not recognize the device. It is also not listed in Device manager. Universal Naked beta driver also did not do anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have done some brief reading on the S-OFF thread and it seems like you guys needed a device in APX mode for further progression? Maybe we can help eachother out.

TIA

Reactions: MacSeoin and co@ch

vj4

Apr 10, 2007
Message Xmoo about the APX mode he's in the S-off thread should have some ideas. As to getting it to boot i'm assuming you've tried holding power for ten seconds?

Thunder07

Inactive RC / RD
Sep 22, 2007
i would suggest calling yor friend over,
tying him to a chair and beating him until he remembers how he got it into APX,
ppl would kill for that device in APX.

Reactions: violence1907

supendal

Sep 4, 2010
Careful, if you achieve to boot it, you may never be able to get in apx mode again. First talk to some experienced people in s-off thread to see what we can squeeze out from apx mode.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

youvandal

Jun 27, 2012
tried every single power + volume combination possible. Everything leads to APX mode. It is like a 4 second wait with power and volume down. if its just power it takes like 15 seconds for the pc to recognize. I msged xmoo and am awaiting his reply.

dryan433

Nov 28, 2010
Uk
Android Automotive OS
Yes get over and talk with the team who are working to fully unlock this phone as they need apx mode and are dieing to have this mode one of them may even buy it from your friend in its current state as the crackers of this device are dieing to get this mode turned on on other devices if it's going to lead to an fully unlocked hox I sure am dreaming of the day this happens as I'm sure others are too so try talk with one of the guys over on other threads ask to see if anyone of them would like to buy it instead

atm do not I mean do not try to get the phone to boot normally until you have an answer of someone apx mode is needed and no one can get the hox in this mode :)

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Last edited:

KrisPerry

Oct 23, 2010
Yes get over and talk with the team who are working to fully unlock this phone as they need apx mode and are dieing to have this mode one of them may even buy it from your friend in its current state as the crackers of this device are dieing to get this mode turned on on other devices if it's going to lead to an fully unlocked hox I sure am dreaming of the day this happens as I'm sure others are too so try talk with one of the guys over on other threads ask to see if anyone of them would like to buy it instead

atm do not I mean do not try to get the phone to boot normally until you have an answer of someone apx mode is needed and no one can get the hox in this mode :)

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

It would appear that the device defaults to apx mode when it is bricked. The fact that it won't even boot to hboot indicates this

Evil-Dragon

Dec 15, 2010
Solihull
www.rooted.me.uk
I think I know why you can't get nvflash to talk to it. Chances are you are probably using a version designed for Tegra 2. There is a Tegra 3 version floating around but I'm sure it was a Linux version so you'd need Linux to use it. I'm sure I had a link but I can't find it. Also you might need the secure boot key (sbk) to flash anything but even just getting nvflash to do a --sync is a start.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

co@ch

Jan 22, 2012
Verona
Huawei MatePad Pro
I think I know why you can't get nvflash to talk to it. Chances are you are probably using a version designed for Tegra 2. There is a Tegra 3 version floating around but I'm sure it was a Linux version so you'd need Linux to use it. I'm sure I had a link but I can't find it. Also you might need the secure boot key (sbk) to flash anything but even just getting nvflash to do a --sync is a start.

You mean this one?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=27491035

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

kb0n

Oct 24, 2009
I'll just copy-past myself:
Drivers etc. should be provided by this package: http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra-android-os-images (download here from list: http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra-resources).

Can download Linux,Mac,Win versions, all including drivers, nvflash and other stuff (bootloader, recovery.img, ...)

xmoo

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2006
Eindhoven
www.Mohammad.Moghtader.net
Hi,

Thank you for PM'ing me.

The phone gets noticed as APX, which is good. You need the Tegra3 Nvidia drivers. The problem is that you need to correct address in Nvflash. Cause if you talk with the wrong address, you could brick your phone. Since your friend kept it off for couple of weeks, I think that is the way it got into APX mode.

On old WM devices, when the battery drained and device had no power for a long time. The device would HardReset itself on the next power cycle it got. Maybe this is the same thing with the HOX. Battery is to empty, so it can't boot. Anyone who is willing to try the same thing? I use mine HOX everyday, so Can't leave mine powerless ;)

In the bottom right of the taskbar, there is an icon that's normally used to safely eject a USB device. The only thing listed is APX. If i unplug the phone, the icon for apx disappears and vice versa.

Screenshot :D

kb0n

Oct 24, 2009
On old WM devices, when the battery drained and device had no power for a long time. The device would HardReset itself on the next power cycle it got. Maybe this is the same thing with the HOX. Battery is to empty, so it can't boot. Anyone who is willing to try the same thing? I use mine HOX everyday, so Can't leave mine powerless ;)
Hehe, that was my first attempt after I read about APX on other devices that mentioned taking out the battery first. I let battery run out, booted few times into hboot etc until it didn't turn on anymore. Anyway, didn't work, as soon as I plugged in a USB cable, the phone had juice again and booted normally :/
If I remember correctly, there were also a few users who opened their HOX (think for wifi fix) and tried with disconnected battery -> no success

xmoo

Aug 19, 2006
Eindhoven
Hehe, that was my first attempt after I read about APX on other devices that mentioned taking out the battery first. I let battery run out, booted few times into hboot etc until it didn't turn on anymore. Anyway, didn't work, as soon as I plugged in a USB cable, the phone had juice again and booted normally :/
If I remember correctly, there were also a few users who opened their HOX (think for wifi fix) and tried with disconnected battery -> no success

Yes but there is a difference. When emptying battery and directly plug it in. I would say empty battery in couple of days and then leave it for couple of weeks. Just like this story.

kb0n

Oct 24, 2009
Yes but there is a difference. When emptying battery and directly plug it in. I would say empty battery in couple of days and then leave it for couple of weeks. Just like this story.
As I said, I didn't directly plug it in, but loaded hboot few times to drain the rest of the juice out. Then waited a few hours. Empty is empty, whether for 1 hour or 1 week.
Anyway, I gave up that attempt as I read about the guys who tried with disconnected battery. Can't get "emptier" than that ^^

xmoo

Aug 19, 2006
Eindhoven
As I said, I didn't directly plug it in, but loaded hboot few times to drain the rest of the juice out. Then waited a few hours. Empty is empty, whether for 1 hour or 1 week.
Anyway, I gave up that attempt as I read about the guys who tried with disconnected battery. Can't get "emptier" than that ^^

Don't you think phone will have a battery on board for HBOOT? Like PC's.

Reactions: kb0n

kb0n

Oct 24, 2009
Don't you think phone will have a battery on board for HBOOT? Like PC's.
Actually I don't, as far as I know there are no volatile memory in mobile phones ([edit]no crucial ones at least...I know i.e. RAM is volatile[/edit]), hence you don't need a battery to keep it alive, you just need one to run it.

Anyway, I'd be glad to be proven wrong ^^ Though it might be tough for some people, if they had to lay off their phones for weeks ^^

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Downloaded latest nvflash....

Looks like were getting somewhere

I get the following after running nvflash --sync

c:\FASTBOOT>nvflash --sync

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.118)

-- Primary Commands --
    Update firmware: nvflash [options] <filename>
    Save firmware to file: nvflash [options] --save <filename>
    Compare adapter firmware: nvflash [options] --compare <filename>
    Verify adapter firmware: nvflash [options] --verify <filename>
    Update TV data: nvflash [options] --tv <filename>
    Display version: nvflash [options] --version [<filename>]
    Display firmware bytes: nvflash [options] --display [bytes]
    Check for supported EEPROM: nvflash [options] --check
    Write protect EEPROM: nvflash [options] --protecton
    Remove write protect: nvflash [options] --protectoff
    Change soft straps: nvflash [options] --straps=<straps>
    Set IEEE 1394 GUID: nvflash [options] --guid=<guid>
    Set IEEE 1394 GUID source: nvflash [options] --guidsource=<location>
    List adapters: nvflash [options] --list
    List PCI firmware blocks: nvflash [options] --pciblocks
    List applied patches: nvflash [options] --listpatches
    Press 'Enter' to continue, or 'Q' to quit.
    No Joy with

HTC chat

Customer Chat

Chat Transcript

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...

You are currently at position number 1 in the queue.

All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.

You are currently at position number 1 in the queue.

An agent will be with you in a moment. Thank you for your patience.

You have been connected to Rob.

Rob: Hi Kevin, thank you for contacting HTC Support, I am looking in to your query now.

Rob: What HTC model or phone do you have?

Kevin Wilding: One x

Rob: Can you elaborate on what you are trying to do please. APX is used for rooted phones

Kevin Wilding: Yeah, im wanting to know how to get the phone into the APX mode

Kevin Wilding: I have a few various things im wanting to try in APX mode but can't access it

Kevin Wilding: I have done with all previous devices but can't find how to on this one

Rob: APX mode is for rooted phones, I do regret to say HTC is unable to assist you in doing this.

Kevin Wilding: Why? I have paid for my phone and want to use the features on the phone, one of them being APX mode

Rob: APX is not a mode on the phone by default. To access / add features such as this it requires you to root your phone, due to this HTC do not assist you in doing it.

Kevin Wilding: I don't need assistance in rooting, I have already done that, I just need to know how to enter in to APX?

Rob: I am sorry but I cannot assist you in this.

Kevin Wilding: Would you be happy if you bought a car but they took the bonnet catch off so you coudn't look under there and alter it? NO probably not, I have bought this phone to make it the way I want it, but I'm limited to this the way HTC have LOCKED the device down. Why can't you assist? and who could assist

Rob: No one at HTC can assist you in enabling APX mode. Unlocking the device voids the warranty and depending on how you did it, it would inform you that we would not assist you in any tasks beyond the boot loader. There are websites out there that can assist you with this, but nothing I'm allowed to recommend

Kevin Wilding: "No one at HTC can assist you in enabling APX mode?" I thought you said it wasn't APX MODE? Well thanks for nothing BOB sorry im mean Rob
    I was given a HOX international tegra 3 by a friend to fix but i am afraid i am hitting a wall. He upgraded to the galaxy s3 and is trying to sell this off. I don't think he tried rooting, unlocking the bootloader, flashing anything. He stated that it would force close while trying to open Settings.app and everything started force closing when he inserted his SIM. He gave it to me because i was into flashing nexus one roms and kernels when i had a nexus one.

The phone doesn't seem to power on or show any signs of life on the phone itself. If i plug it into a windows machine, it recognizes it as "APX" but no driver is found or installed. I have searched around and neither ADB, Fastboot or nvflash recognize the device. I tried installing various drivers to no avail. I have pointed it to "android debugging bridge" and "NVidia USB Bootrecovery driver for mobile devices". ADB, fastboot and nvflash still do not recognize the device. It is also not listed in Device manager. Universal Naked beta driver also did not do anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have done some brief reading on the S-OFF thread and it seems like you guys needed a device in APX mode for further progression? Maybe we can help eachother out.

TIA
    How exactly do you know it is apx mode if it isn't in device manager

In the bottom right of the taskbar, there is an icon that's normally used to safely eject a USB device. The only thing listed is APX. If i unplug the phone, the icon for apx disappears and vice versa.
    How about removing the USB cable?
    I don't know how to do this, since you can't just pull the battery on the One X. The trick is that you somehow disrupt the hboot upgrading process, but how, that's beyond me. But my main point is, maybe there is no other way to enter APX mode than on a bricked device.

Sent from my HTC One X