[Think Tank] Modifying G1 to enable Navigation - THUNK!

Search This thread

lossfabulous

Nov 12, 2009
Google Voice issues solved?

I followed Chahk's suggestion in post 874, changed the SDK version on the first line of /system/build.prop from =5 to =4, using vi under CommandBot to edit the prop file directly on the phone. (I am new to the G1 and not so smart with adb at this point.)

Rebooted after the change, GV works flawlessly now, and nav is still there / working. No other changes necessary. Thank you, Chahk.

Nov 12, 2009
So after much trial and error I have got Google Voice app and Navigation working on Cyanogen 4.2.4. I wiped my phone and created a backup after signing in through google, so that I could try different installing methods on a fresh install of Cyanogen 4.2.4. Here's the thing though, after trying about 6 times and staying up till 6AM playing TF2/working on my phone (mainly TF2) I can't remember which method finally worked. At first I thought that I followed the instructions here:

Here guys, all wrapped up.

Make sure you have CyanogenMod 4.2.3.1, by the way.

1) Unzip zip to desktop
2) Run Part 1.bat
3) When prompted to press any key, do so; the phone will reboot
4) When your phone is running again, run Part 2.bat
5) When prompted to press any key, the installation process is done.
6) Make sure GPS is enabled
7) Open Maps and press OK
8) Press Menu
9) Press Directions
10) Enter an end point
11) Click Go
12) Just under "Show on map", click Navigate.
13) When prompted to install the voice codec, do so.
14) Enjoy. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?lioyoy2ydzu

minus steps 12-14 (especially 14) and then installed google voice which allowed me to achieve steps 12-14, and then reverted to the build.prop and build.trout.prop found in the original CyanogenMod 4.2.4 zip file. However, when I looked at my computer after calming down from being so excited that Google voice and navigation were working together in harmony I was in the folder that contained the build.prop and build.trout.prop from the mediafire link listed above. So my question: is there any way to check and see which build.prop and build.trout.prop file I currently have on my phone? Well obviously there is, but how do I do it? I am a noobs and I'm sorry...But if I have the modded build.prop and build.trout.prop and google voice is working that is a miracle from god, because the only way I could get it working before was to revert back to the original prop files.

For other noobs out there who have CyanogenMod 4.2.4 and can't get Google voice to work after using the suggestions found on the first page let me help you out.
1. Download the mediafire link listed above.
2. Extract it.
3. Download this: http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/update-cm-4.2.4-signed.zip
4. Extract it.
5. Find the build.prop and build.trout.prop files in the system folder and replace the files with the same name from the first folder (the mediafire link) with the files from this folder (the chemlab link/official cyanogenmod release).
6. Run Part 1 from the first folder (mediafire link). DO NOT run part 2.
Navigation might not work anymore, but at least google voice will. Sorry if these instructions are too simple and not necessary for most people on this forum. I could have used them so I thought I would try and help others since I was asking for help. Also, sorry about the book length post.

camarriott

Sep 4, 2009
idk if anybody noticed this but after i installed nav on cm v4.2.4 and then went to the about screen, it said i was running v4.2.3.1. So i flashed v4.2.4 again and it says i'm running v4.2.4 and nav works fine.

You probably got that because you flashed someone else's prop files (someone that was using that version of CyanogenMod).

Just change this line in your build.trout/sapphire.prop:

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.0/ESD20/17572:user/ota-rel-keys,release-keys

Dirtyfrank26

Oct 21, 2009
Maps.apk

I was an idiot and didn't back up my maps.apk, before I went and installed the new maps.apk.

I was wondering if anybody has the old maps.apk they could post so that I could get it.
Thanks.

ChrisDos

Sep 5, 2009
Denver
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Installation Script

I wanted to automate some of this. I'm a Linux user since 1993 so I so very much enjoy having android for a phone. Maybe my script this will help others. I also copy other programs that I want such as MyFaves.apk, etc. and you can modify the script to copy the extra apks that you want.

Make a directory called apks on the root of your sd card. Copy Map.apk and any other apps you want to install in /system/app. In the apks directory make a file called copy_apks_to_system.sh (or call anything else that you want)

#### Begin Script ####
echo "Mounting /system read write..."
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3

echo "Cleaning out old Map software from /system for"
echo "installation of Google Navigation"
find /system -iname "*maps.apk*" -exec rm -vf {} \;

echo "Copying MyFaves and new Google Maps to /system/app"
cd /sdcard/apks
cp MyFaves.apk Maps.apk /system/app/

echo "Modifying /system/build.trout.prop for Google Navigation"
sed -i 's/tmobile\/kila\/dream/=verizon\/voles\/sholes/g' /system/build.trout.prop

echo "Mounting /system back to read only..."
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3
#### End Script ####

Typical steps to run this:
Open up Better Terminal and run the following commands:
su -
ash
cd /sdcard/apks
bash ./copy_apks_to_system.sh

Now reboot the phone and Nav should work. If not, uninstall and reinstall Google Voice.

I upgraded to Cyanogenmod 4.2.4 and then just ran this script and rebooted. Everything appears to be working at this point in time. I also performed this script for the first time on my Wife's phone and it worked perfectly.

Six6Sicks

Apr 24, 2009
(666)
Thanks! I got this working 100% with Cyanogen's 4.2.4.
I uninstalled my other Nav programs because I like this one much better.

Thanks for the great step by step too. I just used SU Browser to install this. It took a little longer, but without having adb access from work, this method worked flawlessly.

Eduardo911

Aug 5, 2009
so has anyone been able to get the tts speech voice synthesis part working in the maps? i installed the app from the market, it made the folder full of wavs on my sdcard, and my navigation is working and updating turn by turn like its supposed to

just...no speech, no matter what i do. have reinstalled all the map and .props and google voice and the voice data multiple times and its just not having it on my G1

i can test it from the homescreen settings and hear it there, and change the language and all that. is there some setting somewhere else that needs to be changed to 'enable' it? like an accessibility setting or something?

Proxin

Feb 6, 2009
Pallet Town
What's a protected app that I can search for in the Market to see if mine works to view protected apps?
For some reason my ChompSMS is hiding from view, too. I can't uninstall it, use it, re-install it, or find it on the Market. This happened after I tried the build.trout.prop and build.prop stuff.

smasraum

May 15, 2009
I wanted to automate some of this. I'm a Linux user since 1993 so I so very much enjoy having android for a phone.

< snipped for brevity >

#### Begin Script ####
echo "Mounting /system read write..."
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3

echo "Modifying /system/build.trout.prop for Google Navigation"
sed -i 's/tmobile\/kila\/dream/=verizon\/voles\/sholes/g' /system/build.trout.prop

echo "Mounting /system back to read only..."
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3
#### End Script ####

< snipped for brevity >

So if you had NAV installed and working and it stopped, you only need to re-alter the build.trout.prop file, right?

If that's correct, then would the shortened script above do the trick?

Or am I missing some details.

smasraum

May 15, 2009
so has anyone been able to get the tts speech voice synthesis part working in the maps? i installed the app from the market, it made the folder full of wavs on my sdcard, and my navigation is working and updating turn by turn like its supposed to

just...no speech, no matter what i do. have reinstalled all the map and .props and google voice and the voice data multiple times and its just not having it on my G1

i can test it from the homescreen settings and hear it there, and change the language and all that. is there some setting somewhere else that needs to be changed to 'enable' it? like an accessibility setting or something?

It worked perfectly for me when NAV was working. It apparently stopped last night.

ChrisDos

Sep 5, 2009
Denver
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So if you had NAV installed and working and it stopped, you only need to re-alter the build.trout.prop file, right?

If that's correct, then would the shortened script above do the trick?

Or am I missing some details.

For the most part, this script resets the Maps. It cleans out the other map.apk and it's other entries in /system, copies the new Maps.apk and any other apk files you wanted into /system/app, then modifies the build.trout.prop if needed. The sed part of the script searches and replaces any instances of "tmobile/kila/dream" with "=verizon/voles/sholes" in /system/build.trout.prop (Though there is only one instance so only that line is modified). I don't know why the droid version has 2 "=" in it's line, but I duplicated it just in case.

The only issue as other have mentioned, that you might have to remove and install Google Voice.

Garner

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 25, 2009
C:\windows\system32\
maps navigation problem

hi i have run part 1 and part 2 with success but when i use maps it does not work, there is no navigate option below show on map option im just wondering if this works on my uk model g1 can any please help me thanks in advance, chris

Zeltaz

May 9, 2009
Ive got the same problem. I've got an UK G1 model and ive gone through all the steps properly, maps work bit there is no navigate.. just show on map. Guess I'll have to wait till this works in the UK

artismyrevolt

Nov 11, 2009
i'm having a similar issue to what several people have said, but can't find any answers. i might just be too lazy to look harder though.

i'm running cm4.2.4 on my tmobile g1. everything worked properly (installed build.prop, build.trout.prop, and maps.apk via the terminal emulator). google voice app started acting screwy so i re installed the original prop files, navigation still worked with the new maps app, everything was peachy and i did a nandroid backup.

woke up this morning and the "navigate" option dissappeared. reloaded my nandroid backup and it's still not there. did i do something wrong, or is there a newer set of prop files that works in conjunction with the separate apps like google voice?

this is my first post, and it's a lame one. sorry all. noobing it up over here.

smasraum

May 15, 2009
i'm having a similar issue to what several people have said, but can't find any answers. i might just be too lazy to look harder though.

i'm running cm4.2.4 on my tmobile g1. everything worked properly (installed build.prop, build.trout.prop, and maps.apk via the terminal emulator). google voice app started acting screwy so i re installed the original prop files, navigation still worked with the new maps app, everything was peachy and i did a nandroid backup.

woke up this morning and the "navigate" option dissappeared. reloaded my nandroid backup and it's still not there. did i do something wrong, or is there a newer set of prop files that works in conjunction with the separate apps like google voice?

this is my first post, and it's a lame one. sorry all. noobing it up over here.

This is a known issue. The NAV seems to die every night (at midnight, I think). I'm hoping that it's not too long before one of the fellas here manages to get it to keep working for more than 36 hours or so. Or, I'd like to know if the fix is just to edit the single line in the build.trout.prop. If that's the case, then it should be possible to build a script to fix it daily.

I think it may require reinstallation every day.

Top Liked Posts